looking for ex members of the Odyssey Study Group/Sharon Gan
Posted by: Kenwood ()
Date: February 13, 2005 09:09PM

I'm interested in getting in touch with ex members of Sharon Gans group. My husband left myself and our children after years of involvement. Watching him become distant, removed, unkind and unloving is the saddest experience I've ever had.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: finnster ()
Date: February 15, 2005 12:26AM

There are several of us (dar3463, betsy, lyleb) who participated in Boston, NYC, and earlier SF group and posted in this forum. You might have read some of the related postings, but here is a snapshot of my experience. I was a student of Sharon Gans/Robert Klein cult (known as OSG or Odyssey Study Group) for about 4 years in Boston. The Boston group was primarily lead by Robert Klein and other "teachers". We would also have visiting "teachers" from NYC such as Fred Mindel, Cynthia May (Taylor Hodson Temp Agency - as Sharon Gans silent partner of the firm) and others. They also have a branch in Denmark. This cult uses sophisticated methods to recruit people (I know because I used to do recruiting) and they are very very secretive about anything and everything about the so called "school".

Our group was called the "younger class" and I believe it was established probably about 6-7 years ago. I would spent many long nights & weekends on "work/school" projects related to "class-outside-of-class" events which also included a "Christmas Party" at the end of each year. Not to mention working on 5-week aims along with paying for everything above and beyond so called "tuition". I consider myself somewhat lucky, because I seldom had direct contact with Sharon Gans (only when she appeared in our classes 1-2 times a year). The class was primarily taught and controlled by Robert Klein. He is exceptionally good at reading people and telling them what they need. This cult has only one agenda: to expand Sharon Gan's wealth.

You can contact me at finn147@hotmail.com, if you have more questions or just want to talk.

Posted by: dar3463 ()
Date: February 16, 2005 12:54PM

Kenwood
Finnster is the real deal. Please refer to my earlier posts for my story. You can email me anytime. Please let me know if I can be of assistance, as I have long experience dealing with an ex-wife who is still in, as far as I can tell.

Posted by: coronoman ()
Date: March 16, 2005 01:15PM

My last post didn't work, I think.

I'd be happy to help out, even to form an ex-member (and significant other) support group. Gans and company (the New York classes on lower Broadway) did their best to destroy my marriage. Luckily for me, they didn't succeed. But I'd really love to see someone finally bring a lawsuit.

coronoman115@yahoo.com

Posted by: jpenney ()
Date: September 01, 2006 09:06AM

I was in this group. What a bunch of kooks. I'm looking for a picture of this Klein jerk, I remember we had a guy leading the class who we called "Robert" and I'm betting it was him. He was a big fat dude with black hair and a full beard, and he wore a big black coat. We used to meet in Belmont center at like an old K of C or something - I could drive there right now. I was only there for the 8-week "experiment" - then they asked me for money. If this guy's so good, why didn't he know I'm a cheap bastard? Anyway, there were some pretty screwed up people there. We read Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi, and they kept doing these stupid presentations on the golden mean and I guess sacred geometry or whatever. The lady who recruited me was this thin redhead lady who drove a small hatchback ( I think) like a honda or toyota, and her partner who was a painter of some sort, but didn't sound like she was doing too well and seemed sick, was a bit more meaty brunette woman. Both were low to mid 30's, they took me through the 5-meeting recruiting thing in Lexington. We would meet at Walden Pond, and they followed the program exactly. I'd love to expose these jackasses, anyone want to help out?

Any way, let's see - the meetings would start with everyone being quiet for 1 hour before, we had a "special friend" who we traded phone numbers with and we would talk 1 time a week, ... the meetings though, they were the wierdest, it would start with everyone arriving silently, we'd do like a "loosening up" exercise that reminded me of something you'd do in acting class, where you'd just do movement. Then there was getting out refreshments (I remember this smallish blond woman couldn't pay a full tuition so she did all the refreshments stuff) and then everyone would help put out tables and chairs in a big rectangle, Robert would show up (there was a little bearded fat guy too, about 35 or so, I forget his name). Once the tables were out, we'd sit down in metal folding chairs, go around the room and talk about the books we were reading and "the work" we were doing. I remember distinctly that Robert didn't like my chosen project, and he tried to intimidate me out of it several times in front of this group. Guess he read me wrong. Once that was over, someone would get up and do a presentation, we'd clean up and leave in silence, and be quiet for about an hour afterwards.

Luckily, I'm much less suggestible than my quiet demeanor would make you think - so I didn't get sucked in, but I can see how it would be easy to fall into it. It's pretty tricky, all the bull they set you up with.

Nice to know there's some other folks who've seen this guy and know what I'm talking about. Now let's get some pictures of him.

Posted by: confusedinBoston ()
Date: October 02, 2006 07:50AM

I think my former partner is a member of the OSG in Boston. He presented the Drama Group, Theatre Group, Christmas Party, Acting Classes as separate activities, not as one group. When he left me, the reason given was 'my therapy friend at Drama Group has helped me to see that there is work I need to do that I can't do if I am with you.'

Is there someone who would be willing to confirm his membership if I give you his name?

Does the leader of the OSG tell/guide/direct members to leave their partners if they aren't interested in joining the group or ask that their partner give them equal time?

How much money does the group require of members? (My partner seemed to always be short of cash and did a lot of extra work for the groups - catering meals at meetings, driving other members to meetings, going away for weekends to work on people's houses, etc?)

How much do members tell of their personal lives to the group? (It is scary to think of total strangers knowing the intimate details of our relationship.)

My partner left after a six month affair. Would the group leader ever instruct a member to have an affair as part of becoming more awake?

What would be the consequences if he tells the group that I have figured out that he is in OSG and that he talked with me about the group?

Thanks for helping me make sense of four years with what seemed like a lovely guy that ended unexpectedly and horribly.

CIB

Posted by: dar3463 ()
Date: October 02, 2006 11:19AM

CIB
My name is Don. Check my posts on various threads. OSG or the Work or the Fourth Way, is an abusive cult. I participated in all the activities your partner did and then some for 10 years in the New York branch. You can find answers to all of your questions in the database on this site. Search Sharon Gans, the leader of this cult. Unfortunately, your experience is very common among us former members and our families. I am sure this is a painful & confusing time. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Posted by: finnster ()
Date: October 02, 2006 07:41PM

Hi CIB,

I was a member of OSG in Boston until about 2 years ago. There were two sub-groups; "younger class" and "older class". So, between myself and other former members that I keep in touch with from both sub-groups, I'm sure we can determine whether your partner was involved with OSG or not.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly at finn147@hotmail.com.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.