Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 09, 2010 04:26AM

And speaking of buying and selling...for those who are keeping track, President Ikeda has received his 288th academic honor.

From Yahoo's Soka Gakkai Unofficial Board:

--- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "djgropp" <djgropp@...> wrote:
>
> Daisaku Ikeda, president of the Soka Gakkai International lay Buddhist
organization, was awarded the title of honorary professor from Tsinghua
University*, China, at a ceremony held in Tokyo's Shibuya Ward on May 13.
Tsinghua University President Gu Binglin headed a delegation that included
Deputy Secretary-General Wang Jinzhan and other university officials which
presented the academic honor to Mr. Ikeda. Also present at the ceremony were
Chinese Ambassador to Japan Cheng Yonghua and Minister-Counselor Sun Jianming.
>
> In his speech, President Gu cited the reasons for his university's decision to
confer the academic title to Mr. Ikeda: "Based on his exceptional
far-sightedness, Mr Ikeda made a public proposal for the normalization of
diplomatic relations between China and Japan back in 1968…thereby setting a
clear direction for the development of friendly bilateral ties between our two
countries." He added, "In dedicating his entire life to advocating and taking
action to realize the ideal of lasting global peace and the happiness of
humankind, Mr. Ikeda has won widespread recognition as well as respect and
appreciation from peace-loving people in China and around the world."
>
> This honorary professorship brings to 288 the total number of academic honors
awarded to Mr. Ikeda by institutions in 51 countries and territories for his
contributions to building peace, cultural exchange and the promotion of
dialogue.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 09, 2010 04:41AM

I guess SGI is in a bit of a catch 22 situation at least in the west. During the time while members of Nichiren Shu they never did the job one would except from an organised lay congregation except being pissed off when the priesthood would be critical of Mr. Ikeda.
Concerning being involved many of the mainstream Christian congregations are far more advanced than SGI. There is the official Church and there is the lay congregation, the latter being much more advanced and challenging the officials and hey they engage in something called DIALOGUE too.
SGI? Its just the SGI way there is no communication to the grass root - just the party line. When I come to think of it I feel terribly sorry for those who are ought to reform SGI – fat chance.

Date: June 09, 2010 04:45AM

'Based on his exceptional
far-sightedness, Mr Ikeda made a public proposal for the normalization of
diplomatic relations between China and Japan back in 1968'

Look up Tanzan Ishibashi he did more on the Sino/japanese relationship than Ikeda.

Posted by: SoniqueSc ()
Date: June 09, 2010 05:22AM

Sorry for the slow response. Don't you hate it when work gets in the way of good spiritual chats :P

I've seen the phrase "SGI Priesthood" a few times in this forum. I have run into SGI who do get preachy and treat members poorly if they don't do activities. I've also run into members and leaders who think they know everything and tell me about how things were in the 1960's. Kind of like puritains under a different name. Not to say that the 1960's are inherently good or bad. I love sharing thoughts and experiences. I am reminded of the common metaphor of the cup being too full to accept more tea.

I'd guess it's all about people. If people make our interaction joyful and hope filled, then wonderful things happen. If people (especially leaders) fail to see the law of cause and effect in their lives, then there will be suffering. (BTW: I'm not saying anyone on this forum is arrogant; I'm thinking that many of you have been hurt by arrogant leaders who forgot that leadership is about caring for members as opposed to thinking the members owe you something). I find myself studying side by side with leaders. Sharing insights and dialog (back and forth communication on equal footing with the goal of sharing as opposed to defeating each other).

One great point made by a few of you including Quiet one is that many people experience benefits while practicing many ways of life. I've know SGI who practice for 30 years and seem to be miserable, and I know people of many other faiths who have great warmth and humanity. I'd guess there's many ways to live your life in line with the Lotus Sutra.

I came up with this metaphor. There are many roads that lead into Los Angeles. One could be on any of those roads and get there. However, not all roads lead to LA. You could even be on the right road going the wrong way. Some people may need to take a boat or airplane, while some may be close (or athletic) enough to walk. I'd guess I'm saying there are many ways to reach enlightenment. There are ways that won't work, but there are multiple ways that will.

Anyway, I've really come to the conclusion that I'm on a path that is leading to somewhere good. I'm growing in confidence, so I'm doing something that I think is working for me. My doubts have been alleviated (not to say I have answers to all the great points raised here). Maybe I will get whacked down the road and find myself on this forum as a former member. I'll do my best to have a beginners mind (open eyes and open mind). Either way, I appreciate having such a great forum to openly discuss doubts.

Good luck to all of you!!!! Nam Myoho Renge Kyo (or Namu Myoho Renge Kyo for those purists out there...I find the 6/8 rhythm works so nicely for me).

Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: June 09, 2010 05:47AM

Rothaus
I guess SGI is in a bit of a catch 22 situation at least in the west. During the time while members of Nichiren Shu they never did the job one would except from an organised lay congregation except being pissed off when the priesthood would be critical of Mr. Ikeda.
Concerning being involved many of the mainstream Christian congregations are far more advanced than SGI. There is the official Church and there is the lay congregation, the latter being much more advanced and challenging the officials and hey they engage in something called DIALOGUE too.
SGI? Its just the SGI way there is no communication to the grass root - just the party line. When I come to think of it I feel terribly sorry for those who are ought to reform SGI – fat chance.

Hi Rothaus, I think we should point out SGI was the lay organisation of Nichiren Shoshu, not Nichiren Shu.

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: June 09, 2010 11:00AM

Hey Rothaus, I googled Tanzan Ishibashi and didn't find much that explained his level of influence in normalizing relations with China. Is there a particular source you had in mind?

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: June 09, 2010 11:52AM

@quiet one
You wrote: ""Sometimes people select a dharma-teacher or choose a particular tradition during a very low period in their personal life. When that happens, when someone chooses a person or a tradition because they have a need to lean on someone or they lack confidence or self-esteem, then there is a real vulnerability for abuse and when that dependence is placed on someone, given that you are not really able to use the critical facility, then there is scope for abuse and disappointment."

I joined the organization a few hours after the love of my life broke up with me. I happened upon an NSA meeting that a co-worker had been inviting me to. I joined immediately, but not just because I felt alone. I had always been interested in something Eastern, something dynamic and different; something welcoming of gays too. The combination of my vulnerability and the exciting foreignness of gongyo and daimoku hooked me immediately. I received my Gohonzon within a week. So I guess I qualify as being in a very low period at the time starting the practice. However, I keep in mind that Shakyamuni said that life is characterized by dukkha, suffering. I take this to mean that our vulnerability is always lurking behind the ups and downs of existence. In other words, as humans we have lots of low points. Religious practices can get us through them. Despite some of the problems with SGI, the organization does introduce this practice to many who would never encounter it otherwise. That's probably a good thing.

Date: June 09, 2010 01:30PM

@ DaviM: Yes, sure I forgot the "shu" I am sorry for that :-)

@ Doubtful: All I know Ishibashi started his efforts already in the late 1950s. At the that time this move was even more unpopular. Given the long list of prime ministers in Japan I guess this is not much talked about anymore. To portray Mr. Ikeda as a pioneer in this effort is simply untrue. There were people who laid the foundation before that. Actually I would need to get hands on a decent history book on Japan. The Ishibashi family is said to play an important role in Nichiren Buddhism too and he was a monk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 01:33PM by Rothaus.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 10, 2010 12:29AM

SoniqueSc
I'd guess it's all about people. If people make our interaction joyful and hope filled, then wonderful things happen. If people (especially leaders) fail to see the law of cause and effect in their lives, then there will be suffering. (BTW: I'm not saying anyone on this forum is arrogant; I'm thinking that many of you have been hurt by arrogant leaders who forgot that leadership is about caring for members as opposed to thinking the members owe you something). I find myself studying side by side with leaders. Sharing insights and dialog (back and forth communication on equal footing with the goal of sharing as opposed to defeating each other).

Nichiren Daishonin wrote: "Even a heartless villain loves his wife and children." While I don't personally know any mafia members, I have heard that many can seem like very nice guys to their families and friends. The members of mob work together and cooperate. Mafia members also donate money to the church and to charities. Many members would probably tell you that they enjoy their membership in the mob. Does this mean that the mafia is a perfectly fine organization, since some of them are nice, they work together, contribute to good causes and the organization helps its members? I don't think so.

What we need to do is look at the mafia or any organization as a whole. Study its purpose, structure, goals, and the sum of all its actions. Of course there are nice people in SGI as well as arrogant and mean people. That's not our point. Those things are not the best criteria for judging SGI. What many of us have complained about is the top-down structure of SGI and bad policies that make the organization act in ways that hurt rather than help people...and make it impossible to change SGI -- such as:

--Excessive adoration and attention to Ikeda, at the expense of serious discussion about Buddhist teachings and how to practice them.

--SGI's heavy involvement in Japanese politics, and its corrupt reputation in Japan.

--Decisions being made at headquarters without input from members and areas that will be affected.

--The top-down structure makes it impossible for local areas to remove ineffective or abusive leaders.

--Lack of financial accountability and transparency; members are asked to donate but never know how their donations are used.

--SGI owns expensive real estate and has extensive financial investments, yet is still pushing members for donations.

--SGI leads members to believe that donating time and money to SGI will result in benefit, a view not supported by the Gosho or Lotus Sutras.

--SGI claims tax-exempt status in the United States, yet does not file the paperwork that tax exempt organizations are required to file. SGI has also donated to political campaigns in the U.S., something that tax exempt organizations are not allowed to do.

--Members who have questioned or criticized SGI, or asked for reform of SGI have been harassed and shunned.

Sonique, if you are interested in having a serious dialogue on these issues, you need to read this whole thread, where many of these issues have been discussed in detail with links provided. I know it's a long thread that jumps around between various topics, but treat it like a book. Read a few pages whenever you have a few minutes. A little at a time and you'll be done before you know it.

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: June 10, 2010 01:17AM

SGI has also donated to political campaigns in the U.S., something that tax exempt organizations are not allowed to do.

Who??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 01:18AM by quiet one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.