SGI, demagogue Ikeda again is beating the drum of FEAR FEAR FEAR.
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: December 25, 2009 01:39PM

Byron Katie has numerous Stories about getting robbed at gunpoint.
Those are all layered metaphors, in nested loops, stories within stories. They are designed to make people feel passive when they think of being robbed.
That is called priming the pump, for when the seminar leader, or cult leader, robs you blind by asking you to empty out your bank account and hand it over.
They have already conditioned you to submit.
Its literally a type of mind-robbery, first your rob the mind, then you rob the bank account.

Notice above that Ikeda again is beating the drum of FEAR FEAR FEAR.
ROBBERY OF YOU HOME: ...check the locks (doors and windows)
FIRE IN YOUR HOME: ...fire hazards (stove, oven, heater, etc.)
Robbery in the streets:...Watch out for purse-snatchers, too.

That is the holiday message from Ikeda...you house might get robbed, your house might burn down, you might get mugged in the streets. You are not safe at home or in the streets, according to Ikeda. BE AFRAID at home and in the streets, says President Ikeda.
Meanwhile, the worst dangers SGI members face is from SGI itself. If anyone is going to rob you blind, its going to be SGI-USA. SGI are going to snatch your purse, SGI are going to empty your bank accounts, which is far worse.

And Ikeda gives you the WARNING: "warning, "Carelessness is one's greatest enemy."
Another warning, more FEAR.
No carelessness is not a "greatest" enemy, that is stupid. Lack of critical thinking is a much greater enemy.

Ikeda is a demagogue, who knows the best way to control people is through fear.
Fear of getting robbed, fear of fire, fear of illness, fear fear fear.
That is the essense of much of what Ikeda does, trying to make people more afraid and fearful of the world.
Then daddy Ikeda will protect you, IF you empty your bank account into SGI-USA's online account.
If you do not, then you will die from cancer next week, and your family will die from cancer, and everyone will be sick, broke, alone, and die from cancer too.

So the message is clear, give SGI-USA your money, and then your life will be perfect and you'll have a new car.
If you do not give SGI-USA your money, then you and everyone will die a horrible death from cancer, be broke, alone, and also have no car, and die horribly, etc, etc.

Byron Katie uses that one too. It works, many people are afraid out there.

The ironic reality, is that for those who are deeply into SGI, and are vulnerable, the SGI is the most dangerous thing in their lives.
SGI and SGI-USA is a destructive cult for vulnerable people who are deeply involved. That is a fact proven from quite a lot of research so far.

SGI-USA is in the same category as Scientology, it can destroy your life if you are vulnerable to their tactics, and buy into it.
SGI-USA, the cult of greed.

Re: SGI, demagogue Ikeda again is beating the drum of FEAR FEAR FEAR.
Posted by: wakatta1 ()
Date: December 25, 2009 10:43PM

The Anticult
Byron Katie has numerous Stories about getting robbed at gunpoint.
Those are all layered metaphors, in nested loops, stories within stories. They are designed to make people feel passive when they think of being robbed.
That is called priming the pump, for when the seminar leader, or cult leader, robs you blind by asking you to empty out your bank account and hand it over.
They have already conditioned you to submit.
Its literally a type of mind-robbery, first your rob the mind, then you rob the bank account.

The ironic reality, is that for those who are deeply into SGI, and are vulnerable, the SGI is the most dangerous thing in their lives.
SGI and SGI-USA is a destructive cult for vulnerable people who are deeply involved. That is a fact proven from quite a lot of research so far.

SGI-USA is in the same category as Scientology, it can destroy your life if you are vulnerable to their tactics, and buy into it.
SGI-USA, the cult of greed.

Sort of like an alcoholic partner that warns the other that they should be careful of aggravating them (i.e. complainig about the abuse) but really implying that "who knows what I might do when you cause me to be bad".

You are right though, I think that many of the metaphors SGI uses are intended to reinforce a mental model in which the individual is totally helpless unless he/she "serves" the core of the organization. (Which was at one time the Gohonzon/Nichiren/True Buddha, but has evolved into "the great and mighty OZ/Ikeda". What bothers me the most is that as a Chapter Chief I was beginning to mimic a lot of the SGI-Speak of my peers. <shudder>

Wakatta

Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: December 26, 2009 04:08AM

Question: When did SGI change the silent prayers that were done after gongyo (reciting part of the Lotus Sutra)?

An old friend came into town. We agreed to just do gongyo together and not discuss our differences with SGI. But when it came time for the silent prayers, we were clearly out of sync. I still use my old prayer book, where there are five prayers. She uses the current book, where there are four. After she left, I checked the SGI USA site, and found this:

--------Beginning of Quote, SGI USA Website--------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST SILENT PRAYER
Appreciation for Life's Protective Forces
(shoten zenjin)
I offer appreciation to the functions in life and the environment (shoten zenjin) that serve to protect us, and pray that these protective powers be further strengthened and enhanced through my practice of the Law.

Chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo three times. Then proceed with the recitation of the sutra.

SECOND SILENT PRAYER
Appreciation for the Gohonzon
I acknowledge my debt of gratitude and offer profound appreciation for the Dai-Gohonzon of the Three Great Secret Laws, which was bestowed upon the entire world; to Nichiren Daishonin, the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law; and to Nikko Shonin.

I acknowledge my debt of gratitude and offer appreciation to Nichimoku Shonin.

Chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo three times.

THIRD SILENT PRAYER
For the Attainment of Kosen-rufu
I pray that the great desire for kosen-rufu be fulfilled, and that the Soka Gakkai International develop in this endeavor for countless generations to come.

I acknowledge my debt of gratitude and offer appreciation to the three founding presidents—Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, Josei Toda and Daisaku Ikeda—for their eternal examples of selfless dedication to the propagation of the Law.

FOURTH SILENT PRAYER
Personal Prayers and Prayer for the Deceased
I pray to bring forth Buddhahood from within my life and accomplish my own human revolution, change my destiny and fulfill my wishes in the present and the future. (Offer additional prayers here.)

I pray for my deceased relatives and for all those who have passed away, particularly for these individuals: (Sound the bell continuously while offering prayers.)

I pray for peace throughout the world and the happiness of all humanity.

Sound the bell and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo three times to conclude (group chants in unison).
-------------------------End of Quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It used to be that the Fourth Prayer was about praying for your own goals, and the Fifth Prayer was about praying for deceased relatives.

But the Third Prayer -- "Debt of Gratitude" to the Holy Trinity -- Makiguchi, Toda and Ikeda. Talk about programming. Twice daily, SGI members are reminded that they owe a "debt of gratitude" toward Ikeda.

Back in the pre-split days, SGI proposed changing the Fifth Prayer to have members pray for Makiguchi and Toda, the two previous SGI presidents. They had died, members would remember them with the rest of their dead loved ones. The Nichiren Shoshu priests objected.

You can see why SGI wanted to break with Nichiren Shoshu. And now this -- Ikeda's alive, but he's still in the prayers...and members are reminded, twice daily that they "owe him a debt of gratitude."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 04:10AM by tsukimoto.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: December 26, 2009 04:27AM

These are the silent prayers that I remember. This was posted on the website www.tonidunlap.com in 2003.

------------Beginning of Quote-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Silent Prayer
Appreciation for life's protective forces - (shoten zenjin)
I offer appreciation to the shoten zenjin, the functions in life and in the environment that serve to protect us night and day. I pray that their protective power be further strengthened and enhanced through my practice of the Law. (Chant daimoku three times.)

Second Silent Prayer
Appreciation for the Dai-Gohonzon
I offer my deepest praise and most sincere gratitude to the Dai-Gohonzon of the Three Great Secret Laws, which was bestowed upon the entire world. (Chant daimoku three times.)

Third Silent Prayer
Appreciation for the three teachers
I offer my deepest praise and most sincere gratitude to Nichiren Daishonin, the True Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law. (Chant daimoku three times.)
I offer my deepest praise and most sincere gratitude to Nikko Shonin, the Great Leader of the Propagation of True Buddhism. (Chant daimoku three times.)
I offer sincere gratitude to Nichimoku Shonin, the High Priest of Kosen-rufu. (Chant daimoku three times.)

Fourth Silent Prayer
For the attainment of kosen-rufu
I pray that the great desire for kosen-rufu be fulfilled, and that the Soka Gakkai International develop eternally in this endeavor. (Chant daimoku three times.)
I pray to expiate my negative karma caused by my slander of the Law in this life and in the past and to fulfill my wishes in the present and the future. (Offer additional prayers here. Chant daimoku three times.)

Fifth Silent Prayer
Appreciation for the first and second presidents of Soka Gakkai and prayer for the deceased
I offer gratitude to the first president, Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, and the second president, Josei Toda, for their selfless dedication to the propagation of the Law. (Chant daimoku three times.)
I pray for my deceased relatives and for all those who have passed away, particularly for these individuals:
(Sound bell continuously while offering prayers. Chant daimoku three times.)
I pray for peace throughout the universe and the happiness of all humanity.
(Sound the bell, and chant daimoku three times to conclude gongyo.)
----------------------------End of Quote-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize that this is probably not news to anyone but me. ;-) But still...in the 2003 silent prayers, SGI is mentioned in the Fourth Prayer, and Makiguchi and Toda in the Fifth Prayer. It's mentioned once that one should have gratitude toward late Presidents Makiguchi and Toda.

Contrast that with how the phrase "debt of gratitude," is mentioned, not once -- but THREE times in the 2009 silent prayers. AND, of course, the inclusion of Ikeda as someone that SGI members have a 'debt of gratitude" to. Not to mention his "example of selfless dedication." Hah.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 26, 2009 04:59AM

Tsukimoto
You can see why SGI wanted to break with Nichiren Shoshu. And now this -- Ikeda's alive, but he's still in the prayers...and members are reminded, twice daily that they "owe him a debt of gratitude.

:-) Nichiren Shoshu broke with SGI not the other way round :-)

Posted by: wayfarerfree ()
Date: December 26, 2009 05:16AM

Ye Gods, its all so transparent, with the luxury of freedom and distance.
The prayer issue seals it once and for all, for me.
So many unsatisfactory answers over the years, sometimes, often, I recieved no answers at all.
(and depending on the individual spoken to, varying levels of ways of serving out criticism or admonishment for even asking).
It really does make me bloody furious, having allowed myself to be so duped all this time.

BTW, somebody mentioned Byrd earlier.
Ive read what she went through, for speaking out, its appalling.
She was a strong character, from what I can gather, I would like to have met her, before she passed away.
Her local SGI crew really treated her like sh#t.

Could someone elaborate on how SGI shouldnt be being supported by overseas Japanese contributions, by law, as a Not for profit, tax exempt org?

Posted by: wayfarerfree ()
Date: December 26, 2009 05:30AM

@ DrJesusEsq et al:
Sorry, forgot to mention for anyone thats interested, that video clip was from the wikipedia page on SGI.
I think he was very wise not to push the envelope further, given how SGI reacts to open criticism.
Whoever posted it was also wise to "disable" the options for comments below the clip, allows his words to retain their clarity.
But I value his presentation, it gives the public a very balanced overview without embroiling the audience in the confusing crossfire.
You can tell he had discovered for himself things he found disturbing.
I would like to read the entire dissertation - and forward it to folk I know who are afraid their worries of SGI are just a creation of their own minds.

BTW - I've been reading this forum thread for about a week...when does your head get split into seven pieces etc, 'cos I should really get some aspirin in advance of that happening... (lol!)

Date: December 26, 2009 05:33AM

wayfarerfree
BTW, somebody mentioned Byrd earlier.
Ive read what she went through, for speaking out, its appalling.

I think Byrd was a loyal and good person. A tre Buddhist and being a true Buddhist she faced the limited capacities of SGI. She also had contacts with Nichiren Shu and cultivated the art of REAL dialogue. The was she was treated by SGI was truly disgraceful and thw rumours that spread after her death? What can you say --- leaves one speechless.

She believed right until the end in SGI's capability to reform. Her mind and her heart were to large for SGI's mediocre mind set.

Posted by: sushigrl ()
Date: December 26, 2009 05:42AM

Wayfarerfree: I think actually that on the contrary the pieces will be put back together in your head LOLOL I know mine were. The Gakkai thought system damaged my self image and expectations for many many years. I was still criticizing my life after I left until I came to this forum. I think that it would be good if we were to send a bottle of aspirin to our local chapter chiefs. They are the ones who need it :)

Date: December 26, 2009 05:47AM

for the ones just following the thread here: This was Byrd Byrd's Blog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.