Never make it easy for them
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 05, 2014 04:02AM

Not a good idea.

A) Putting stuff under windshields could be construed as
property damage. Even if it isnt you'd have to spend money to
hire an attorney and go through the aggro.

B) The incident could be used to foster paranoia inside the group.

C) The feeling of persecution increases group cohesion and makes
people feel important and feeds into that all important martyr
warrior complex.

D) It would bring a bad reputation to this message board. Seriously,
I think among our terms of use when registering is never to use
this message board to encourage or do criminal activity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: meh ()
Date: April 05, 2014 08:37AM

Seriously, not to worry . . . I'm only a vandal in my heart.

Date: April 05, 2014 08:40AM

Me too.

It brings joy to my heart just to imagine the old halloween trick of
putting a paper bag of dog doo on someone's front step and setting fire to it.

Never did it, never will. But it makes me smile to imagine.

Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: April 05, 2014 10:39AM

Oh corboy - you are inspirational. Next halloween I want to set a big bag of flaming dog shit in front of HQ's front door and ring the bell. A juvenile practical joke for sure, but it would still be SO much fun to watch 23 sokahon running around in circles with flaming shit on their shoes! What a hilarious image!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 10:41AM by Spartacus.

Date: April 05, 2014 11:21PM

I never understood that prank. Who would *stomp* on some burny thing?? I'd go get a cup of water to throw on it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 11:21PM by StillTaitenAndProud.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: April 07, 2014 09:59PM

I think I'd probably stomp on a small fire rather than take the time to run indoors, get water and put it out that way.

The idea of a troop of earnest sokahan jumping up and down in dog poop is pretty funny, with their little ties flapping in the breeze! It would make a nice change for them from the bull's shit that they're so blind to.

Date: April 07, 2014 10:00PM

A crude kids joke, like turning over the outhouse with someone in it. Purely mischievous. By the time I was growing up, some kids had a variation of the prank that involved putting a garden hose thru the mail slot of a front door and turning on the water. Totally delinquent and mean.

Date: April 09, 2014 11:39PM

OMG!! So THAT's why people don't have mail slots in their front doors any more!! I always thought it was because the cat or the dog tended to lurk just inside to bite the mailman's hand if it strayed inside...

I don't think I'd step on ANY fire, no matter how small, unless it were, say, right in the middle of a big field of dry wheat straw or something. Just sayin'. Let it burn...

For some comic relief...
Date: April 10, 2014 04:52AM

For some comic relief...a review of The Secret, originally published on Amazon.com

[www.google.com]

Date: April 10, 2014 10:10AM

Great stuff, corboy! For those that need a good chuckle, here's a very funny video satire of "The Secret".

In reading critical reveiws of the Secret, it becomes painfully obvious to me just how similar spiritual scams are. The Secret reminds me so much of chanting. Both are nothing but a "recipe for a frontal lobotomy. This is not high spiritual truth passed down through the ages, it's narcissistic delusion, bordering on the psychotic... a complete abdication of depth in favor of a supremely superficial analysis of life."

Both are "so insulting of the true nature of suffering, so ignorant of the realities of privilege and oppression, so authoritative in it's endorsement magical thinking and judgment of those who are not doing it right as to set any nascent spiritual development and self-awareness back (for years)."

The following critiques of the Secret could just as easily be applied to SGI practice as well:

1) Critical Thinking

Gotta have it. Without it spirituality is filled with the unicorns of childhood fantasy and the poison kool-aid of manipulation and dishonesty. In order to have critical thinking one needs healthy rational development. Educating the mind by studying actual philosophy, psychology, literature and art that grapples with the universal spiritual themes that great minds have been expressing since at least the ancient Greeks.

A healthy dose of critical thinking will cut through the kind of nonsense these kinds of popular spiritual vehicles are selling. It will also allow one to side step the very real suffering and delusion that comes from buying into very, very poor interpretations of spiritual reality like these.

Rest assured, if The Secret (and chanting) sound like deep truth to you, there is either a complete lack of critical thinking, or you have become convinced of the fallacious spiritual argument which says that critical thinking is the enemy of spirituality. Not so. Critical thinking is the enemy of false spirituality. It is the trusted ally of authentic adult spirituality. Use it!

2) Your Shadow is your Friend

Contrary to superficial and fragmenting prescriptions like those offered by What the Bleep and The Secret (and chanting), the instruction here is to actually work with your shadow material and learn from it.

Your so called "negative emotions" have value and meaning. They are communications from your psyche. Be curious about them. Compassionate. Follow a path of inquiry into what lies beneath the surface of your reactions, fears, anger-triggers, unsatisfied feelings, sadness etc. The way to be free of these is to embrace them and listen to what they might be telling you about your shadow - the part of you that you have disowned and disconnected from.

Working with and ultimately integrating shadow material through a process that takes you beneath the surface into the actual meaning that your triggers have for you is the way toward ending self-sabotage, not just trying desperately to impose a junta of "good thoughts" on your mind from the outside in...

3) Spiritual Practice

Spiritual practice is absolutely distinct from spiritual beliefs or ideas.

Spiritual ideas might give you a map of the territory in preparation for and in analyzing the experience of spiritual practice.

Spiritual beliefs are usually best left alone as they tend to hinder authentic inquiry which is at the heart of spiritual practice.

Spiritual practices actually require that you do the work. That you sit down and meditate. That you start a yoga practice. That you journal. That you dance your demons and shake your Buddha. That you be present to your emotions, your body, your mental patterns and learn the art of self observation, introspection and that most harrowing of skills - honest communication.

Spiritual practice requires that you turn to face your shadow. That you get real about your social conditioning, your political situation, the distinction between what you have power over and what has power over you.

Spiritual practice is inspiring, but it's also deeply humbling. It does not tell you that you can have anything, be anything, do anything, without limit.

And then there is this:

Probably the strongest message... is the pre-rational notion that the universe is like a cosmic Santa or a personal and infinite catalog and we merely need to place our order –by thinking positively about what we want– and all our desires will manifest. This idea is pounded into us with insistent repetition and manic sincerity. This is classic magical thinking, where one believes that the external world will physically change to match our internal mental thoughts. Such magical thinking is usually outgrown around age three. However, this is presented as an advanced understanding of how the universe actually works... and in a clever manipulation, any dissent or contradictory evidence is cast in a light of “negative thinking.” It’s this negative thinking that manifests scarcity, suffering, and all the ills on the planet. These claims are so audacious, so outrageous, so completely implausible, that even a brief moment of rigorous thought completely dispels them.

If manifestation is driven by (prayer) mentally visualizing whatever is desired or wanted, then this looks like an episode of the Twilight Zone. For sure, it is a terribly naive and shallow understanding of reality. The presenters believe, and insist that you should believe in this magic cosmic-genie granting all your wishes.

Claims of both the Secret and chanting are easily disproved:

Step 1: Find someone who believes in the Secret (or chanting)
Step 2: Have them use the Secret method (or chanting) to manifest the experience of flipping a coin twenty times and having it land with Heads face up every time they flip it. Give them as much time as they need to get into this frame of mind (or to chant about it).

Step 3: Give them a quarter and have them flip it twenty times. Write down which side comes up each time they flip it. If the Secret (or chanting) works, it will come up Heads every time.

This can be tried by yourself, with the potential confound that you yourself have to be experiencing some kind of doubt in order to critically examine the belief. Basically, this means that you can safely assume that anyone who believes in the Law of Attraction (or the Law of cause and effect - i.e. chanting) haven't actually put it to the test. Remember, isolated incidents (of proof) don't count because it's supposed to be an omnipresent "law of the universe, like the law of gravity."

And given that "you deserve to be happy," then just claim all those materialistic goodies you have always longed for. Got bills to pay? No probs! Got cancer? No worries. It will all disappear if we simply want it to.

But wait, there's more. It is not just personal greed that is being pandered to here. It is not just my own dreams that can come true. The big issues of life are also a piece of cake. Want to end global hunger? Easy. Just think happy food thoughts. Want to end all war? Couldn't be simpler. Just feel and think peaceful thoughts (chant). And you thought some problems were just too intractable. Foolish you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.