Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: July 18, 2012 07:15AM

Freeheartandmind
I just read on the soka gakkai wikipedia page that "Nam-Myôhô-Renge-Kyô" means "Devotion to the Mystic/Wonderful Dharma/Law of the Lotus Flower Sutra". As a member of NSA, we were told many time that NMRK meant devotion to the mystic law of cause and effect through sound. So what is the real translation of NMRK? The more I read this MB, the more I feel bamboozeled by NSA/SGI.

Oh yeah! That was said so many times so as to be practically permanently tattooed into our brains. As is becoming apparent in the cult org., fairy tales are routinely revised for new generations. One of the oft-repeated excuses heard nowadays is that the "old" cult org. was a bit "immature" and going through well-intentioned but misguided "growing pains." (Nice to know, how lucky we we were, isn't it!) It's supposedly "maturing" now, especially with the evil priesthood and their archaic ways no longer impeding growth.

HAHA! Yeah right! This is "buddhism" by the seat of one's pants, trying whatever different algorithm seems to resonate best with the times. Any way you slice it, it's all manipulation, then, & now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: coolshyone ()
Date: July 18, 2012 12:03PM

As the official emcee at many a district meetings, I had the dubious distinction of explaining to any newbies in attendance what the supposed meaning of NMRK was. Well I think it means this. No it actually means that. All joking aside it can mean whatever they want it to mean to suit their own agenda.Hitch's comment about being tattooed into your brain is an understatement. A total farce.

Date: July 18, 2012 02:02PM

Speaking of revising tales for a new generation, take a look at what "Forever Sensei" has slowly morphed into:

New cult song for the dear phantom leader - [www.youtube.com]. The sound is a bit low, but the lyrics kick in at about the 2:30 min. mark, with the volume up, you can make it out well. Lyrics found here [www.reverbnation.com].

Warning: the bullsh** gets pretty thick, so you might want to put on some of your wading gear before trudging thru it. Good luck, all. Looks like they are already subtly writing his epitaph.

The "brainwashing" is unbelievable. Just get a load of the name "The Ikeda Kings Orchestra."

Another clip, different angle, [www.youtube.com] but with much better sound (be sure to turn your volume back down).

Completely off the deep end cult leader worship song - "Who Is This Man?"

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: July 18, 2012 02:27PM

Good lord !!! I sat here watching the youtube clip mouth open. I left more than seven years ago but this is getting bizarre to say the least !!! They should sell the lyrics and music to North Korea might be able to collect some revenues.
Its obscene in a way.

Date: July 18, 2012 05:38PM

I know what you mean. Even at the height of my time in, something as bizarre as this would have had me heading for the exit doors. Pretty much leaves me speechless that there are people who actually partake in this crap. This is hero-mentor-savior (take your pick) worship in overdrive. It's actually sickening and I'd even go so far as to say, pathological.

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: July 19, 2012 01:34AM

coolshyone
As the official emcee at many a district meetings, I had the dubious distinction of explaining to any newbies in attendance what the supposed meaning of NMRK was. Well I think it means this. No it actually means that. All joking aside it can mean whatever they want it to mean to suit their own agenda.Hitch's comment about being tattooed into your brain is an understatement. A total farce.

I too explained the meaning of NMRK during district and group meetings, many times. Somewhat disconcerting to know that I was spreading inaccurate information, but even more disturbing is that I didn't know the correct information myself. Given that NMRK was the heart of the practice, it blows my mind that it was not properly defined by the Japanese members. We had to accept what we were told, but they should have known better. So very glad I only wasted four years, but it was my prime time young adult years! SGI steals lives just like NSA did.

Date: July 19, 2012 05:10AM

Just like you two, I also have been the official NMHRK explainer. Was also the trademark MC for a looooong time (until I got tired of it). Let's face the facts, we were professional BS'ers folks.

Ironically, I find it highly appropriate (and funny) that they are making it all up as they go along. In some circles, even the provenance of the dai-gohonzon is supposedly back open to question again. How convenient it all is! Gotta love it!! It's all a house of cards built in the shifting sands.

Give it some time and it will all eventually change some more, like a never-ending fairy tale. The only difference now is, it's another generation being taken for a ride. Let's hope some can make it out and grow up, like we all have managed to do.

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: July 20, 2012 12:50AM

Hitch
Let's hope some can make it out and grow up, like we all have managed to do.

The other night I was talking to some friends who are also ex-members. We were noting that the members of SGI are in a box. They can't see outside the box that they're in, and so they find it very difficult to grow and change. Once in a while, someone becomes uncomfortable in this box. It may be hard to climb out, but it can be done. That's what happened to us. We climbed out of the box. When one climbs out, his life blossoms and he then is able to grow and change. And when you're outside, and you look back in, you can only feel sorry for those who remain.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: July 20, 2012 05:15AM

I guess the best what we as ex-members can do is to get the word out. As good as it may be to have this site here what also is needed neutral information being published on aspects that are critical concerning SGI. I wonder myself to get active in Wikipedia but following the exchange finding sources that are neutral seems to be a big problem. Getting media, journalists and academics interested would be the best.

Date: July 21, 2012 05:31AM

Speaking of media interest, I wasn't aware that there was an "Inside Edition" episode focusing on the $oka Gakkai Cult in Japan, [www.equip.org], back in the early 90's.

Taken from "Infighting, Division, and Scandal Afflicting Nichiren Shoshu Buddhists."

"The article states that certain cult-watching groups, including the Cult Awareness Network, charge that it is “a dangerous cult because of its charismatic leader — Ikeda — its coercive recruitment techniques, and its emphasis on chanting for mate­rial gain, which the network describes as brainwashing.” In addition, Canadian opposition to the group began following an episode of “Inside Edition,” a tabloid television show, which accused it of practicing mind control."

Has anybody seen the episode? Am aware of the kind of show it was, as well as the idiot host Bill O'Reilly, but would still, nevertheless, love to see it, if it's out there anywhere. I can't find it on the web (accidental, or not?).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.