Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: June 15, 2012 08:31AM

Hitch
Unless you were an outcast, "fortune babies" were pretty much a shoe-in for receiving omamori gohonzons. I think your critical analysis of the situation is spot-on SGBye. You had good timing. You were in total "rhythm." Your "fortune bank" was overflowing with omamori benefits. LUCKY YOU!!!

You are SOOOOOO fortunate! HOWABOUT ZATTO?!?!?! C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S!!! ;-)

LOL!

A-A-O! A-A-O! A-A-O!
Washoi, washoi, waaaaashoi!
Shakabuku, shakabuku, all the way!!!

For those of you not “fortunate” enough to have practiced in the 80’s, those were the cheers we did after singing each song. I think there was one more additional cheer but I’ve blocked it out of my memory. It was ridiculous - the cheering after a song started becoming as long as the song itself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: June 15, 2012 08:35AM

Hitch
Regarding studying, we were pushed all the time to study the gosho, independently, at study meetings and even officially take study department exams (and progressively move up to higher and higher levels of in-depth study). I remember it well, because I never wanted to, nor was I very interested in all the fairy tales, but I did, because I HAD to.

Totally agree. There was much more emphasis on the “study” part of “faith, practice and study” in the 80’s. It was my least favorite part of the practice because I was a teen back then and what teen wants to study? The study exams were much more difficult too. They were hard tests with many study meetings leading up to them, and the whole atmosphere in which they were taken was very serious. Members made a big deal out of passing or failing them. In contrast, the last test I took (probably in 2008) was just a segment of the district meeting. It was mostly multiple choice with so many goofy wrong answers that any monkey with a functioning number 2 pencil would’ve passed it.

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: June 15, 2012 10:28AM

I remember back in my member days a situation where a YMD in my group applied contact paper to his gohonzon. He was always a little strange, smoked a lot of weed, but was dedicated to cousin rufus. He has a really wack explanation of how he was trying to transfer his life force to the gohonzon, or something like that. It became clear at that point that he had serious mental issues and fake buddhism only made it worse. Do you think this poor guy was given guidance to seek help from a qualified professional? Not a chance. The group was tasked with watching him more closely so he wouldn't do damage to his replacement gohonzon.

Date: June 15, 2012 10:34AM

That "AAO" cheer was so fake, we did it all the time back in the early seventies and I hated it. Why couldn't we just say hip hip hooray since .we were in america, but actually that would have been corny too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 10:35AM by Freeheartandmind.

Date: June 15, 2012 10:44AM

I think commongirl is a SGI apologist.

Date: June 15, 2012 10:54AM

If everybody is a buddha, then why aim for enlightenment? In the seventies we were told that everyone had a buddha nature or potential,, but it took chanting to bring it out. It seems that over the years SGI apostacized its own teachings. How can anyone trust an organization that has been around for only a fraction of the time that the priesthood has existed? SGI members are lost in this cult of personality.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:16AM

The SG/SGI cult has bastardized the religion/philosophy.

Regarding all the cheering: I was never one for all the stupid cheering. I even refused to join in the silly assembly pep rally cheers back in High School. So, you can imagine, all of the cult cheering went over like a ton of bricks with me. I seem to recall that the loudness and enthusiasm of the cheering from the individual was inversely proportional to the intelligence level, too.

As SGBye said, some of the cheers transformed into endless nonsense that became even longer and dumber than the gakkai cult songs themselves. Every time they did that, I just sat there, burying my head in my hands. The mindless stupidity of it all was unbelievable.

Regardless, no matter how dumb some of the stuff I remember was, it never was quite able to sink to this level:

[www.youtube.com]

or

[www.youtube.com] ("If you can dodge bad karma, you can dodge a dodge ball.")

(Both, taken from the cult retreat, FNCC.)

Same ol' crap, just another generation.

Date: June 15, 2012 11:24AM

Freeheartandmind
I remember back in my member days a situation where a YMD in my group applied contact paper to his gohonzon. He was always a little strange, smoked a lot of weed, but was dedicated to cousin rufus. He has a really wack explanation of how he was trying to transfer his life force to the gohonzon, or something like that. It became clear at that point that he had serious mental issues and fake buddhism only made it worse. Do you think this poor guy was given guidance to seek help from a qualified professional? Not a chance. The group was tasked with watching him more closely so he wouldn't do damage to his replacement gohonzon.

I've seen gohonzons in trash cans, ripped up and even sold to antique stores. In all cases, some "leaders" had to go and fish them out, collect them for return/repair and buy them back (respectively). In the last case, somebody should have told the shop owner that they weren't allowed to leave without that gohonzon in their hands, in which case he could have made something of a pretty penny that day.

I also remember home visiting one lady on a hot summer day and she had her fan blowing full force while she was chanting, all the while, her gohonzon swinging in the wind banging against the sides and back wall of the butsudan. I thought some of the senior leaders were about to faint that day - and not from the heat, either.

Re: SGI-USA is a destructive cult with extreme financial exploitation
Date: June 17, 2012 06:17AM

The Anticult
Just to go back to this SGI "story" about giving SGI all of your emergency savings.
Its found at the links below.

Contribution and “Fighting Daimoku”
[www.gakkaionline.net]
[forum.culteducation.com]

That posted "story" is a persuasion process. Its not a true story, is a written story that is designed to persuade people and modify their behavior and beliefs. Its very obvious how they do it.
SGI is targeting those in very bad physical health, and who are out of work and short on money, with bad relationships.

SGI members who are desperate.

Then in the persuasion story, SGI targets your emergency savings, with a flippant comment. Then SGI tries to persuade you to raid your emergency fund.
QUOTE: [www.gakkaionline.net] "Later that afternoon, an experience arrived in my inbox from a Yahoo Group about contribution. It left me no room for excuses and taking a leap of faith, I went to the SGI-USA website and made a contribution using the “emergency fund.” It wasn’t what I really planned on contributing, but it was a lot more than I’d given so far."

Notice the tricky language, no excuses, faith, website promotion, and about giving A LOT MORE than you've given before, in a direct transfer from your bank accounts emergency fund.

Then SGI spreads their nonsense, lies and propaganda, that right after he gave SGI-USA ALL OF HIS MONEY, his "3 month fever" began to break. A 3 month fever? What a fraud.
He then says his relationships improved, got a new "car", and everything is wonderful because he gave SGI-USA all of his money.

This is such transparent manipulation its really pathetic.
What makes it even worse, is that SGI-USA is targeting SGI members who are DESPERATE.
Byron Katie also targets people who are desperate and in dire straits.
Why? Because desperate people do crazy things, like empty their bank accounts, if they have one.

So this SGi-USA tactic alone, actually proves that SGI is a cult. And not just a cult, but a destructive cult.
Any cult who will target their members who are sick, and broke, and then persuade them to hand their last dollars over to Ikeda SGI-USA who have billions, is a destructive cult. That is very extreme abuse for vulnerable people.

Then what happens when they spend all their money? Then they are much worse off, and SGI casts them aside and blames them for not chanting hard enough.

Any group should CARE for its members. And people should be encouraged to save money for a rainy day, and take care of themselves. SGI-USA has billions, and they never dip into their money, they lie and tell every country that they lose money, and that Japan supports them. That is a lie.
SGI has almost no expenses in each country, they pay no tax, its all pure profit.

And when SGI-USA target their own members who are sick, broke, and emotionally desperate, and then leads them by the nose to give SGI-USA their last dollars from their emergency bank account, that is a destructive cult which is severely exploiting their own members.
You would not treat your worse enemy that way.
Who would take the last money from someone who was broke, sick, without insurance, and emotionally desperate?
You would have to be a sociopath to do that.

Desperate people read things like that "story" written by SGI-USA, and some of them do as they are persuaded to.
If SGI was not a destructive cult, they would help their members, and remind people to always save as much money as possible just in case.
But no, SGI has to retrain people to do the exact opposite. They have to retrain their own SGI members to empty their bank accounts and give it to the multi-billionaire Ikeda so he can invest more billions in the stock market.

In terms of the exploitation and abuse of their own SGI members, SGI-USA is a cult, and not just a cult, but a destructive cult in many ways. In this case, its financially a very destructive cult, it can't get much worse than that.
SGI-USA is cleverly promising miracle health cures, if you give SGI-USA all of the money in your emergency bank account.

Just because a person has not been exploited to that extreme level by SGI yet themselves, its not as important as the fact that SGI-USA is trying to do this to people.
One can be assured there are even worse exploitations online from SGI-USA that have not been noticed yet. The worst are exploiting people's ill health for the benefit of SGI.

SGI-USA is a destructive cult, with extreme exploitation of their own members in many different ways.

Actually, regarding the bolded above, AntiCult is right on the money (no pun intended).

I overheard, all the time, when members who claimed poverty or lack of available funds for special "zaimu" campaigns (which seemed to come around every several months), the "leader" go into plan "B" mode: "Well, haven't you got any money put away for a rainy day or emergencies? Surely you must have. Everybody does." "You should use it now, as an expression of your faith and determination to prove the validity of the practice."

Blah, blah, blah.

If the member was still not biting, then the last resort would be to, at the very minimum, get whatever extra amount they were carrying on their person, in their wallet right at that moment: "Well, you HAVE to make a cause and participate. How much do have in your wallet?" Etc..

Your not going to believe this, but even in Japan, many members take multiple issues of the official propaganda newspaper because "the gakkai needs the numbers, finances and support." Another excuse is that they can give their extra copies away to family, friends, neighbors and acquaintances from time to time and create additional good fortune by "planting the seed" and shakubuku'ing. In some cases, they give extra copies to the same person for years (if they claim to be even slightly interested and read them), perpetually hounding them to eventually take the plunge (or out of what is called "giri" in Japanese - a "burdensome sense of obligation/duty" in order to repay debts of perceived gratitude).

Re: SGI-USA is a destructive cult with extreme financial exploitation
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: June 18, 2012 12:37AM

SGI is truly evil to do this to vulnerable people.
Its evil.
When you are a multibillionaire like Ikeda and you order your underlings to exploit, manipulate and rob sick, broke, and vulnerable and desperate people, then you know you are EVIL, in the sense of being psychologically sick.

SGI targets these desperate people, and then shows them how to do a direct bank transfer of their emergency funds from their bank online to the SGI account.
Why?
Because unlike a credit card, there can be no chargebacks when you have remorse the next day.
THE MONEY IS GONE FOREVER TO SGI.

Its not like a contract with a 48 hour coolling off period.
Its not like a 30 day money-back guarantee for a product.

NO REFUNDS from SGI.

If SGI were not evil, then they might say..."give us your money and if your miserable life/karma has not improved in 30 days, you get a full refund".
Or why not a 1 year refund Karma guarantee?
If you give SGI your last $1000 of your emergency fund (and go hungry or get evicted from your home) and your life is still crap in 1 year, you get a full unconditional refund, plus interest of course.

Of course that is sarcasm.

SGI is a gross financial swindle, in the guise of a religion.
SGI swindles these vulnerable/desperate people out of their LAST DOLLARS, just like the crooked preacher on the radio/TV scamming elderly people.
SGI is the same thing, and much worse, as they are far bigger.

SGI is a massive financial swindle, in the guise of a fake religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 12:41AM by The Anticult.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.