Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: April 05, 2012 03:12PM

Hitch, thanks for the 2030 video link. I guess they had to move onto something else before their Rock The Era high totally dissipated. Like yourself, I grew up in the SGI and can relate to many of the things you’ve posted. Back in the 80’s and 90’s, May 3rd 2001 was the magical date that we were all gung-ho about. Looking back now, the only thing I remember about that date was being fed some nonsense about the closing of the 7 bells or something (?!)…. I can’t really properly recall much about it but I remember feeling underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Also, I’ve been playing catch-up reading all of these new posts and it appears that the Ikeda-berating-Williams video has been removed again! Anybody have a new link? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tibbs ()
Date: April 05, 2012 11:46PM

Nichijew
Check out this video and tell me what you think. SGI's version of Jesus Camp only more hip. That Japanese-American youth cult leader should be imprisoned. It made me want to puke:

[www.youtube.com]

So they're calling the kids 'Future Division'. Get them while they're young. Make them feel guilty for not doing enough for kosen rufu and their 'mentor' before they're even out of elementary school. They are definitely helping 'Sensei' on his mission which is to add more 'disciples' and more billions to his bank account.

And they're starting on the planning meetings for 2030 it seems.

There is hardly a day that goes by that I don't take a moment to be thankful that I am not part of the SGI anymore.

Date: April 06, 2012 12:12AM

Oops, my apologies to Nichijew. I gave thanks to the wrong person regarding the posting of the 2030 video. Sorry about that!

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: April 06, 2012 03:57AM

Reading the posts of the last few days....what a scary tract the SGI barrels towards. I mean, it's already here and has been, but, and I apologize for being on 'repeat', it has to be all for Daisaku Ikeda's Ego and his power and his control. A story as old as time. He got drunk on those big rallies very early on, saw the power that Toda had and knew he had the charisma to take it to an uber-level.

I mean, what REALLY is the mad push and point of Mentor/Disciple?? To cement in members' minds His Greatness and to ensure that when he passes on, the quivers and tears of gratitude at his name will remain for all eternity.

I guess members don't care if they knew how much the big kahunas of leadership are pulling in for salaries....do you think that would jar a few minds? I'm guessing, also, for the truly indoctrinated, probably not. There will be an acceptable 'frame' for that, too.

Many times back in the day, I had to stand my ground when challenged about participating in Gakkai stuff, when very important family stuff was happening. I'll say again, the skies did not open, I was not swallowed up, and I still got benefit. Never regretted doing what the right, truly important things were.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: April 06, 2012 06:02AM

SGBye, it was Nichijew who brought the video here and also reposted the Williams-Ikeda video links. I agree, much thanks!

SGBye
Back in the 80’s and 90’s, May 3rd 2001 was the magical date that we were all gung-ho about. Looking back now, the only thing I remember about that date was being fed some nonsense about the closing of the 7 bells or something (?!)…. I can’t really properly recall much about it but I remember feeling underwhelmed by the whole thing.

As far back as I can remember, it was always something: Sho-Hondo '72 (to later be torn down), San Deigo '73 (?), Tozan every year (?), Guam '75 (?), L.A. Shrine "200 Years From Now - Where Are We Gonna Be?" '76 (?), Hawaii '76, D.C. '82, . . . . . May '01, etc., etc., etc.. The way some of these things were hyped, I thought the 1st two gakkai presidents and the daishonin were going to be resurrected and come back to join Ikeda for a gongyo ceremony and lead a gakkai song together. The dates would come, the activity would take place (sometimes success, sometimes not, sometimes ho-hum) and then they would announce another date shortly thereafter. There were a ton more of smaller ones, too. Looking at some of the Rock The Era clips on YouTube, it looks like the quality has gone down a bit. FNCC has replaced tozan as the cult retreat. It looks like they make people there put on amateur talent shows for each other (again, cringe-worthy stuff, all on YouTube).

Tibbs
So they're calling the kids 'Future Division'. Get them while they're young. Make them feel guilty for not doing enough for kosen rufu and their 'mentor' before they're even out of elementary school. They are definitely helping 'Sensei' on his mission which is to add more 'disciples' and more billions to his bank account.

IMO, it's child abuse, pure & simple.

Shavoy
Many times back in the day, I had to stand my ground when challenged about participating in Gakkai stuff, when very important family stuff was happening. I'll say again, the skies did not open, I was not swallowed up, and I still got benefit. Never regretted doing what the right, truly important things were.

I loved seeing the eyes of some of the leaders when they heard, "Nope, no can do, ain't gonna happen, sorry." It would sometimes take them a few seconds of stunned silence before it would register.

Agreed. It became more frequent with me as I got older. Nothing bad ever happened (zero, zilch, nada) and, as I've mentioned before, on a few occasions I even went on to have a non-gakkai related activity of my own that turned out to be a REAL "golden memory." The only thing that I regret now, is that I didn't do it more often.

Date: April 06, 2012 01:24PM

I had gotten access to the latest issue of the World Tribune today. Since next month is their all-important May contribution campaign, it was full of reminders about how the members should feel appreciation towards the organization (hint, hint). Most disgusting was the propaganda aimed towards children. Following a 2-page comic strip about giving a contribution was a “How To Make a World Peace Piggy Bank” craft article. In it, they tell kids to find a plastic container and adorn it with construction paper, stickers, etc. And then it said the following: “You can put it by your altar or somewhere in the house where you can fill it up with coins and bills. Watch your bank become filled with appreciation and then make a contribution from your heart!”

Taking Mommy and Daddy’s cash simply isn’t enough for Ikeda. They’re aggressively going after junior’s allowance too!

Posted by: simplify ()
Date: April 06, 2012 03:30PM

SGBye
Taking Mommy and Daddy’s cash simply isn’t enough for Ikeda. They’re aggressively going after junior’s allowance too!

This is beyond disgusting. What can we do to stop this sort of thing? Is there no legislation anywhere to help with this? Is there no legislation to stop cults running riot with vulnerable people?

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: April 07, 2012 12:34AM

SGBye
I had gotten access to the latest issue of the World Tribune today. Since next month is their all-important May contribution campaign, it was full of reminders about how the members should feel appreciation towards the organization (hint, hint). Most disgusting was the propaganda aimed towards children. Following a 2-page comic strip about giving a contribution was a “How To Make a World Peace Piggy Bank” craft article. In it, they tell kids to find a plastic container and adorn it with construction paper, stickers, etc. And then it said the following: “You can put it by your altar or somewhere in the house where you can fill it up with coins and bills. Watch your bank become filled with appreciation and then make a contribution from your heart!”

Boy, oh boy....am I glad I didn't renew my subscription. This stuff is beyond gack-worthy. And I'm sure, SGBye, that Ikeda as Master-Mentor abounds on every page as well.

The SGI is totally an all-inclusive organization. There is no room for "heart-to-heart" dialogue with people of differing minds. And I wonder what will happen to the children in the future? Suspecting mass defection somewhere down the line.

@Hitch....remember hearing how SGI activities will be "the only golden memories" you will have??

Speaking of the money again: What will Ikeda do with the money? You don't see luggage racks on a hearse.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: April 07, 2012 01:28AM

Shavoy
SGBye

Boy, oh boy....am I glad I didn't renew my subscription. This stuff is beyond gack-worthy. And I'm sure, SGBye, that Ikeda as Master-Mentor abounds on every page as well.

The SGI is totally an all-inclusive organization. There is no room for "heart-to-heart" dialogue with people of differing minds. And I wonder what will happen to the children in the future? Suspecting mass defection somewhere down the line.

@Hitch....remember hearing how SGI activities will be "the only golden memories" you will have??

Speaking of the money again: What will Ikeda do with the money? You don't see luggage racks on a hearse.
Hiromasa is so dull and lacking personality, what else could he do except inherit daddy's billions and accept soon to be postumous awards for Ikeda? I know, I know, he is a humble teacher who holds a sociology degree. I guess there were too many applicants for the Hachioji college of applied basket weaving and he was rejected. BTW SGBye, thanks for the World Tribune update. Anybody with half a functioning brain who hasn't been completely brainwashed should run, not walk, out the culture centers exits. Instead of AAO, I have a new salute for Ikeda and his top lieutenanats, Oink, Oink!!!

Nichijew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 01:30AM by Nichijew.

Date: April 07, 2012 05:02AM

When I was a child, my mother would make contributions in my name so that I would “receive good fortune.” Ugh. Later, when I had jobs like a paper route, I’d be encouraged to give my own money. I never gave much, but even $10 is precious when you’re a teen!

Nowadays, leaders at meetings make it a point to say “Contribute from the heart, without expecting anything in return.” Then next up on the schedule is an experience from someone who suddenly stumbles upon a large pile of money after making a contribution.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.