Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: sushigrl ()
Date: December 28, 2009 11:48AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: December 28, 2009 02:13PM

I definitely think that Ikeda could have had a stroke, a seizure, or something else that would alter his behavior. However, I can't figure out which years he began to demonstrate more out of control behavior. The members eat it all up (his antics). Then if he becomes even more ego maniacal it starts a vicious cycle : health issues > mental health issues > erradic behavior > more money, more fame > even more innapproprate banter

Posted by: wayfarerfree ()
Date: December 28, 2009 08:05PM

Ok. This is happening to me now, and I would welcome any input or advice, since this is a thread on ex-members and affected families:

Since Ive made my intentions clear and my wishes to be utterly left alone quite apparent, [after deciding to return my Gohonzon], an SGI member has started to become a bit of a problem: at first phoning my mobile incessantly, then sending text messages "not meant for me", by "mistake" (about activities - I'd explicitly stated I dont want to be made aware of them), phoning my parents landline, and hanging up. Ive also been getting prank calls from witheld numbers. Ive had to block his emails now too. He has been known to turn up at random, so I'm thinking this will be his next tactic.

Its almost as if Ive given his YMD life some form of purpose or definition. Ive become his hobby.

I havnt responded to any of this, aside from simply putting the phone down/cancelling incoming calls.
If he turns up on my doorstep, I think I would be in my rights to warn him I'll phone the police.

So, you could take the attitude that "there are nutters, idiots, or unscrupulous types lurking within every organisation.
Or, you could view this as a consequence of being involved in a cult.

I know that the young gentleman has had mental health issues in the past, and thats fine, a lot of people have.
But he has to made aware that this is not acceptable.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 28, 2009 08:27PM

@ wayfarerfree

sounds like stalking whatever his intentions are - so contact the police to send somebody round to him - simple.

Posted by: wayfarerfree ()
Date: December 28, 2009 08:45PM

I dont think the Police would actually do anything here in the UK, at least not until he's begun arriving at my home.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: December 29, 2009 12:53AM

wayfarerfree,

Unfortunately, your situation is very common in the SGI world. I have a friend who's also being harrassed ever since she stopped going to meetings. As unappealing as it sounds, you may have to contact some upper SGI leader in your area to get it to stop. Not all SGI people are kooks - find someone who thinks rationally. But if they come on to your property uninvited and won't go away, I would think that's considered trespassing, no?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 12:54AM by SGBye.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: December 29, 2009 02:06AM

evergreen
I definitely think that Ikeda could have had a stroke, a seizure, or something else that would alter his behavior. However, I can't figure out which years he began to demonstrate more out of control behavior. The members eat it all up (his antics). Then if he becomes even more ego maniacal it starts a vicious cycle : health issues > mental health issues > erradic behavior > more money, more fame > even more innapproprate banter

With Ikeda, there could be several possibilities:

1. He's such a narcissist that he has to be the center of attention at all times, even during someone else's speech -- and it never occurs to him that his behavior might be seen as strange or offensive. In his mind, he's the great Sensei, the savior of mankind, and anything he does is right.

2. He has had a stroke or Alzheimers', and someone behind the scenes is really calling all the shots -- writing his speeches, giving guidance that is supposedly from him. If that person has the real power, maybe they're just as happy to let him be the figurehead! Some senior leader, Mrs. Ikeda, Cute Translator Girl? Though I think this is the least likely of any of the possible scenarios -- I just think someone would have caught onto this if it had been going on for awhile.

3. He acts like an idiot on purpose, to make members feel less suspicious, while continuing this covert manipulation that you see in his speeches.

4. He harbors deep regrets that he didn't pursue his real dream, of being the world's top comedian. If only he hadn't had the responsibilities of spreading True Buddhism throughout the world, he thinks, he could have been bigger than Jim Carrey, Robin Williams...or anyone else you could think of.

In my opinion, it's some combination of 1 and 3.

Posted by: sushigrl ()
Date: December 29, 2009 02:27AM

Oh dear Wayfarerfree, sounds like you've got a Gakkai "caseworker" on your hands. I would definately let this young man's direct senior know that if this nonsense continues, you will take further action. Also, if it escalates, it wouldn't hurt to report something to the authorities either, just for the record.

How awful it's happening to you, but it's revealing what we've been saying all along. SGIers are problem makers, not solvers. They make their "campaigns" and it's difficult for them to stop. Stopping means defeat. Defeat means that they are not following Ikeda's "guidance". It's a very vicious cycle.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 29, 2009 02:28AM

I guess one thing is for sure, that not all his speeches, "guidances" and whatever you have are written by him alone. Lisa Jones showed that quite impressingly.
Its a bit like Walt Disney :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 02:39AM by Rothaus.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: December 29, 2009 05:52AM

See if you can spot the common denominator from a few sentences I've extracted from the latest World Tribune (1/1/10). And keep in mind that this is all from one single issue that's only 12 pages long (actually, only 10 because the front and back pages have no articles)!

"With the same heart as our mentor, let's unite with our youth..."

"Together with our mentor, let's lead lives without regret this year."

"In 2010, we will double the number of American youth who live each day with a direct connection to their mentor, SGI President Ikeda..."

"Together with our mentor, the youth of America will achieve overwhelming victory..."

"I am so happy to be a young woman who is alive during this significant time, when I can advance the cause of peace alongside the greatest mentor in the world, SGI President Ikeda..."

"Let's open the future together victoriously with our mentor!"

"Many young women around the world...have determined to learn as much as they can from their mentor about how to live brilliant, victorious lives."

"I look forward to advancing...as we open the future victoriously with our mentor..."

"Let's...open a new era together with our mentor, President Ikeda."

"Let's exude conviction that the oneness of mentor and disciple is indeed the primary quest of our lives."

"With unending gratitude for my mentor, SGI President Ikeda, I am determined to fully support our SGI-USA Young Women's Leader..."

"As I developed my faith...I began to see SGI President Ikeda as my mentor in life."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.