Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 18, 2011 10:45AM

[www.youtube.com]

Nichijew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 10:56AM by Nichijew.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bobze39 ()
Date: March 18, 2011 01:19PM

Wow, thank you, Nichijew! That is a great addition to my research!

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: March 19, 2011 01:32AM

Nichijew
http://www.youtube.com/user/sokacultikeda#p/u/1/IXlDQMaOITo

Nichijew

Nichijew, what is happening in this last video? It is in Japanese, with no English subtitles,and I'm not sure exactly what's going on. It does not look like a happy affair.

Thanks, Shavoy

Date: March 19, 2011 01:52AM

The Soka Gakkai is showing the Nichiren Shoshu some love, I imagine or they could be arguing about the mentor/disciple nonsense. M/D is their whole reason for living and criticizing the mentor is what gets them all hot under the collar, hot enough to beat up an old priest [Ogasuwara incident]. Some people are actually afraid of them [not me] because of actual assault and disappearance of their foes but since they have the media in their poscket, we don't hear about it. The young mens division members are particulary vile in Japan. Gajokai [the unpaid rabid exploited young men who clean and "protect" the community centers] means "teeth of the castle". Special STK are Ikeda's body guards. They are known to rough up people who oppose the Soka Gakkai. They have martial arts training and are usually big boys.

Nichijew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 01:55AM by Nichijew.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: March 19, 2011 08:31AM

Nichijew, you and I were both impressed by the same quote. This is from www.buddhajones.com, regarding Michelle Woo's article on Soka University of America.

---------------------------beginning of quote------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUA comment
Wow. There are 349 comment on that article as I type. I just added my two cents, in reply to someone who accused a SUA critic of confirmation bias:

It's interesting that many SUA students and faculty insist that the only valid perception of SUA is an overwhelmingly favorable one. No matter how much personal experience a critic has with SUA, his or her perceptions are discounted -- and he or she is personally insulted and diminished -- by those who demand that SUA be admired and praised.
Just who, exactly, is suffering from "confirmation bias" here?

by: Nine Lives @ Wed Mar 16, 2011 at 16:38:46 PM CDT
-------------------------------ending of quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was my experience trying to discuss my frustrations with SGI with other SGI members and leaders. For them too, the only valid perception of SGI was a glowingly positive one. If a person had even the slightest criticism or reservation about SGI -- he or she was attacked. Something was seriously wrong with you, if you couldn't see how wonderful SGI is. That's not healthy. Any organization has something that could be improved.

But with SGI (and Soka U), yer either fer us, or agin us! Nothing else is possible.

And that's the mentality that is reflected in that video that Nichijew links to....that intense rage that comes through..."those people are enemies of SGI....rip them to shreds!"

Date: March 20, 2011 04:52AM

Nichijew and Tsukimoto....first off, I admit I never bothered to find out meanings of all the SGI speak, so I did not know that Gajokai means "teeth of the castle"...Yikes.

Because they have to maintain the unreality of Perfect Perfection, that all is Good and Pure, and of course, this HAS lead to World Peace, because everyone is a Stepford Ikeda Person......Everybody, smilin' and happy-happy all the time!

"Something was seriously wrong with you if you couldn't see how wonderful SGI is. That's not healthy. Any organization has something that could be improved."

Touche.

Date: March 20, 2011 01:27PM

Just like most of our politicians, they are always smiling while serving themselves. Tsukimoto, I think, once wrote a wonderful piece about those like SGI who help others while expecting benefit in return, as opposed to a selfless helping of others. Again, they are just like most of our politicians.

Nichijew

Posted by: bobze39 ()
Date: March 21, 2011 07:29AM

I think, we should conclude that SGI is a hate group. They are not different from other hate groups - neo-nazis, racists and others. The difference is the subject of hatred. Racists hate people on basis of color of their skin, SGI hates people on basis of not following their particular SGI brand of Nichiren Buddhism or on basis of being "SGI enemy". But the idea is the same - create enemies based on something and HATE them. Somebody should start a thread about SGI in "Hate groups" section of Rick Ross forums.

Posted by: DrJesusEsq ()
Date: March 22, 2011 12:08PM

Howdy y'all. I don't know if you remember me but I used to hang around here a lot. I have been out of the SGI for so many months now and I am much happier without them.

If anything, I have to credit all of you lovely people in this forum for getting me out. If it hadn't been for your support, there would be no way in hell I would live a happier life or even retain any sense of sanity. So I thought maybe I should come back here more often to help pay it forward, and help others out there who are stuck in the SGI-styled vicious cycle.

To bobze39-- I agree with you about SGI being a hate group, but then again any cult out there needs a scapegoat in order to further legitimize themselves to their own masses. The Hare Krishnas, for example, see mainstream Hindus as their enemy, Scientologists are against psychiatrists and psychologists, and so on. SGI's hatred against NST and every other form of Buddhism is more in line with how any cult operates, unfortunately.

I have been lurking the past couple of pages and would like to give my 2 cents.

They way the SGI works is dependancy, especially on the chanting. If you have a problem and things don't work out for you, best you spend your time. Don't plan, don't take a look at any options in solving your problems, just chant. Many leaders do like to say that one should take the correct action, but that is often an ambigous term. In fact, I have known a few leaders and fortune children who have acted in an inconsiderate manner towards me. When I called them out on it, they usually say, "I'm sorry. I will chant more next time." These people who have been chanting for years somehow find human decency a very esoteric subject and cannot change themselves without chanting first.

Thinking about my time in the SGI and even reading the experiences on the board, it seems that there is systematic abuse. Many of the leaders I have personally met were very verbally abusive. It is their way of keeping the masses in order, just in case you started thinking on your own. Nagashima once called me stupid to my face. Furthermore, and going back to the first point, if you do have a problem with the leaders (and you are a peon), it is because you are not chanting hard enough or you have fundamental or some other reason why you are not good enough. In the end, the peons of SGI are given more responsibility in their actions than the leaders.

Thoughts anyone?

Date: March 23, 2011 02:27AM

DrJesusEsq.....it seems the initial hook, as we all know here, is You Can Chant for Anything! The more you chant and feverishly work for KR, then that elusive state of Complete Happiness is automatically yours. Every human being wants just to be happy. So, the more you chant, you'll get your due! And activies, too!

The emphasis on Winning, Never Losing, also creates pressure..like if you are not winning all the time, how can you ever be happy? You're just a pathetic loser...how life-defeating that message is.

For me, chanting is not the issue. I have no problem with Nam Myoho Renge Kyo itself. It is a beautiful chant and it has worked for me. It is all this Master/Disciple, lack of true democracy, for us or against us, which just creates an huge insulator of an elephant in a room. There's no room! I've stated it before, but I'm still not quite getting why D. Ikeda feels that this elephant is going to be a sure-fire enticement to boost membership. Just not getting it. It is Scream of Critical Mass proportions...CULT.

Nichijew, religion and politics seems to be a fine mix for D. Ikeda, a fine mix...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.