Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: hertford65 ()
Date: January 01, 2011 05:42AM

I don't know about SGI helping people lose or gain weight? :) I will say though that some members did 10 Hour Tozo (All Day Open House chanting) and all I say to that is that life is too short as it is and my time is precious! So to spend 10 Hours of it chanting until my throat is sore and I'm clock watching just didn't make sense. Did anyone else clock watch during chanting? Perhaps any chant is a positive thing- now comes the punch line - "in moderation"!! If i'm clock watching then I'm enduring it and I don't want to be just wishing something was over so that I could get on with other things in my life? Not sure what anyone elses experience of that is?
Now on New Years eve I'm sitting here practicing to sight read a new piece of piano music.....far more satisfying and rewarding "as far as I'm concerned" but each to their own I say.
:)
Happy New Year to all too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: January 01, 2011 06:08AM

We had 4 hour tozos here each month for a while. That was hard enough. Can't imagine 10 hours!!

Posted by: Tibbs ()
Date: January 01, 2011 01:44PM

I can remember sitting down in front of my gohonzon many times planning to chant all day or for several hours...NEVER happened. I could manage 4 hours at most and usually not even that. I'd start watching the clock, my mind would wander. Then I'd feel guilty that I couldn't chant for these long periods of time.

@chooselife - Radiohead is one of my favorite groups ever!

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: January 03, 2011 12:55AM

Happy belated New Years to all.

Nichijew

Posted by: backnforth ()
Date: January 09, 2011 05:00AM

Watch for new terminology being used in references to President Ikeda's writings. Instead of "writings", "lecture", "guidance", etc. I am hearing it referred to as President Ikeda's TEACHINGS. I think this is telling and hope it is not overlooked by the general membership.

Will it soon be labeled Ikeda's Buddhism?

If you are still a member, did you sign up to activate your Buddhahood through chanting, and how do you feel now being told that you need a mentor in order to access your Buddhahood?

Date: January 09, 2011 05:08AM

By the way, what does one do with a dead mentor (after Ikeda's death)?

"It's like, yah, man, like I have this great mentor and I learn so much and, like he looks over me and makes sure I advance even more than he did; it's like so great to have a mentor, like wow, man; but I . . I . . . I sometimes, wish my mentor was still there, man, like at least over there somewhere in Japan, but now, it's like where is my mentor, and like is he still there for me man? Like, hmmmmmm, not sure . . . . . "

Probably if I pray to my mentor on a regular basis I can still be connected with him after his death.

Posted by: hertford65 ()
Date: January 09, 2011 06:10AM

I originally was introduced to SGI and Nichiren Buddhism 20 Years ago. I have dipped in and out over the years but I have certainly noticed that the focus has changed from "All you need to do is Chant and study the writings of Nichiren Daishonin" to constant discussion over and over about how important the "Mentor Disciple relationship is" ........ It wasn't really what I signed up for. When I questioned Ikeda and the M/D relationship with someone on the other side of the world that I'd never met and didn't know I would say that I was challenged on that. I also felt that one shouldn't question Mentor/Disciple, SGI or Ikeda. It would have been fine if I had honored Ikeda, chanted, attended meetings, offered contribution to Kosen Rufu fund and carried out Shakubuku. However I questioned the organisation and asked about financial contribution? It's almost treated like "SGI has done so much for me when I came in that I now want to give something back financially"? When I decided to leave SGI at the end of last year I had to search deep within me whether I wanted any more to be a part of the IKEDA'ism or pursue my interests in BUDDHISM outside of SGI and it was a big affirmative. So it was that I left SGI and it was fairly hard decision to break away and leave behind the friends that I'd made and the kind people <although some brainwashed> that I'd met however I think with SGI (or any cult(ish) organisation) you are either in our out and when you leave you have to cut your ties completely.

Date: January 26, 2011 11:52AM

This might be a new topic. One fallacy is that the SGI is full of so many great people. The general membership yes, the appointed leaders NO. Let's face it, it is a top-heavy organization with leaders that most sorely lack people skills. There is no official training and since they are just human beings, they are filled with flaws.

When one goes for "guidance" they are lucky if that leader even remembers their name the next time they pass in the halls of the community center. Most of the leaders are sleep deprived and stressed out and don't spend enough time with their families. Some of the children of these leaders don't get to know them but watch them running out the door again to a "meeting" and hate the organization for it later.

There was a leader that tried to encourage me when my parent was ill (and dying). She didn't follow through with the encouragement though, and the next time, passing in the hall, he inquired how my parent was doing (about 2 months after they had passed). It was pretty embarrassing for her.

I just think it's time to bring to light the very weak structure of this organization; it cannot ever thrive in the USA with such a weak foundation.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: January 27, 2011 08:56PM

Backnforth, this is a good point. I know that we've discussed this topic on the thread -- exactly where, I couldn't tell you. This thread is longer than some books; I swear, we need an index and a table of contents.

Many pages back, we had a discussion about SGI-USA leaders who appointed an abusive boyfriend to be a leader -- he then murdered his girlfriend, also an SGI member. Rothaus, if I remember correctly, also wrote about having a friend or relative with an abusive husband, and her leaders advised her to stay with the husband and chant for him to change.

There were posts about Women's Division members in Hokkaido, being expected to go out in the bitter-cold Hokkaido winter -- pregnant or carrying their small children -- to do shakabuku. One of these women, a leader in Hokkaido, spoke of being reprimanded by her child's teacher. The child told his teacher of always having to eat dinner alone because his parents, SGI-Japan leaders, were always out at meetings. Posters have also written about mentally ill SGI members whose leaders have advised them to do more daimoku, rather than take medication and get psychotherapy.

I think that SGI's biggest problem is that it has gotten away from teaching and practicing Buddhism. The emphasis is not on learning about the principles of Buddhism and how to apply those principles to your life, it's all Ikeda and growing the organization. People who rise in the organization are the Ikedaists. So there are nonstop activities -- and if you're a dedicated SGI member, that leaves you with little time to develop relationships with other members, nonSGI friends, or family members.

You're told that you get benefit if you "shakabuku," lots of people (get them to join SGI.) So that encourages members to just look at friends and family with the agenda "Get them to join," rather than just enjoying time with them. Yet once the person joins -- quite often nobody pays them any further attention. There's no concern about developing them, helping them to grow in their faith and understanding. SGI's got its numbers, met its quota for the month -- who cares what happens to these people after they join? It's become just a numbers game --- and really, does Headquarters care, so long as donations keep coming in?

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: January 27, 2011 11:15PM

Hi everyone its been a while since I posted. Most of you probably don't know me cause I don't post often. And for those that did post long ago I'm sure you remember me. I have started chanting again. My agenda for my own life is to bring peace and stabilitly to myself and my family. Right now I am practicing shoju not shakubuku. I stopped posting on this board for a lot of reasons. Thanks be to those who supported me.

BTW NICHIJEW this is considered ONSHITSU, but I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE ONE OF THE MOST NARCISISSTIC MEN I HAVE EVER HAD the pleasure of debating with on this forum. For F---K SAKE your own narcisisstic agenda is to promote your "my way or the highway" agenda. When you chant daimoku with that kind of arrongance in your heart the ONLY benefit you are going to receive is MORE ARROGANCE.

Anyway, I digress. I am going to be the change I wish to see in the organization. When and if I choose.

I follow THE LAW and not THE PERSON.

So, I hope everyone has a great year. You can choose to private message me should you so desire.

PEACE and HAPPINESS to all of you as you will be in my prayers every morning and evening.

EVERGREEN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.