Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 31, 2010 12:32AM

hertford65
I SIGNED A FORM WHEN I RECEIVED MY GOHONZON AND I'M CONCERNED THAT IN THE EVENT OF MY DEATH SGI WOULD BE ABLE TO BREAK INTO MY WILL AND TAKE MY INHERITANCE INSTEAD OF MY FAMILY GETTING ANYTHING??

Happy New Year to you hertford65 !!!
thanks for sharing your story, since I left more than 5 years ago the MD stuff seems to have got more severe these days. But concerning your question there is absolutely no way SGI could get hold of your will etc rest assured !! Certainly some members will leave their money to SGI, but this again would have to be made legal in a will too, just as some people leave there mones to any other organisation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hertford65 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 12:35AM

Thank you. I'm relieved to hear that. Could be a touch of paranoia there perhaps lol :)
Happy New Year to all here!
Be happy....
Peace :)

Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: chirider ()
Date: December 31, 2010 12:42AM

hertford65, Best you see a lawyer on this matter. If this matter cost you alot of money to fix. While you are still breathing set up trust funds for your family leave the bear minimum in your saving and/or checking account. Until everythng is fix from sgi hands. But you do need to see a lawyer if you sign any legal papers from them.

Enjoy your New Life and New Year.

Posted by: hertford65 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 12:46AM

Thanks. I have a friend who is a lawyer so I shall ask his advice. I'm sure it's right though that they cannot get my money in the event of worse case scenario but I shan't leave anything to chance. I won't have to pay for my friends legal advice/opinion and he's not a member of SGI. :)

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 31, 2010 01:11AM

I agree with chirider, but yet again I have never heard of SGI trying to get hold of members money who have passed away. I have however heard of some who donate huge amounts while alive and some leaving money specifically to SGI. In my booky both scenarios a sign of shear madness, but I am an evil enemy now anyway ;-)

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: December 31, 2010 02:01AM

Dear Rothaus:

SGI Memo: What Is Planned Giving?

Planned Giving is the making of a gift to SGI-USA by including SGI-USA as a beneficiary in a provision of your will, estate document, or transfer during life. The gift may be money, real estate, shares of stock, life insurance proceeds, proceeds from pension funds, IRAs or 401(k) plans or other property which can be readily sold. The gifts can take effect either during life or after death.

As the name implies, Planned Giving requires making a plan and thinking clearly about how you want to distribute your assets. Outlined below are several ways you can insure that your desires are carried out. SGI-USA has a national staff of professionals who are available for consultation on a confidential basis.
What Is the Most Common Way to Make a Planned Gift to SGI-USA?

The "bequest in a will" is the most common and easiest way to make a gift to SGI-USA. A bequest is property specified in a will naming a beneficiary (recipient) of the specified property. A "will" is a signed legal document that states the details of the will maker's decisions as to the distribution of his or her property upon death. A will must be written, signed and witnessed according to the law of your State. A will can be changed at any time before death.

Examples of bequests: Long Tom Member has practiced Nichiren Buddhism for twenty years. Although he was broke at the beginning of his practice, he has since accumulated a comfortable amount of assets and job security. Long Tom attributes his change in fortune to changing his attitude towards work and his relationships with others. Following President Ikeda's guidance, he became "indispensable" at his work place. He "created harmonious relations with his colleagues and superiors, using wisdom and discretion along the way." As a result of his practice, he was promoted four times and became the third ranking executive at his company.

With his children grown and he and his wife comfortably set, Long Tom amended his will (a codicil) by making a bequest to SGI-USA, using the services his family lawyer. His bequest reads:

I give, devise and bequeath to the Soka Gakkai International-USA of 606 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, California 90401, a not-for-profit-corporation of California and an exempt religious organization under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code the amount of $xx,xxx (xx,xxx dollars). I further direct that interest or other income that may be earned by said bequest shall also be paid to the Soka Gakkai-USA from the date of my decease until distributed.

Jane Nan Member, Long Tom's wife, is not a Nichiren Buddhist but appreciates his practice because he has gone from an angry man who changed jobs on a regular basis, to a valued, respected executive and loving husband and father. John also was a great help to Jane's father during his final illness. Jane decides to leave (devise) a piece of land she got as a child to SGI-USA. Jane's bequest reads the same as John's except that instead of "$xx,xxx (xx,xxx dollars)" the legal description of the land is used:

"lot 4, block 2 in the Cinder Block subdivision, commonly know as 888 Tarantula Place, assessor's parcel number 7711, all within the City of Nukedville, NV 89111."
I don't have a will but it sounds like a good idea. How do I make a valid will or other estate plan?

1. Make a complete list of all of your property. Include identifying and descriptive information such as account numbers (for bank accounts, IRA and 401K accounts, pension funds, insurance policies), serial numbers of especially valuable items, vehicle identification numbers, legal descriptions of real estate etc. It is a good idea to check the beneficiaries of all your various accounts and policies. Many times a divorced spouse unintentionally remains as the beneficiary. Also check free term life insurance policies offered by banks, credit unions and credit card companies. These are usually in the amounts of $1,000 or $2,000 and remain in effect for as long as your account is current.

2. Consider how you want your assets distributed either during life or after death. A will or other estate document is a declaration of your values in life, of your relationships and loyalties. For example, a life partner who is not married to you will get nothing without your valid will. Your family may decide you need a good Baptist funeral and burial. Your pets will probably be destroyed if you do not make arrangements for them and set aside funding for their care. A will is one way to insure you accomplish your wishes. There are several others, such as trusts, that might be appropriate for a person in your circumstances.

3. Talk with your lawyer about drafting a will or trust document. If your lawyer does not practice estate planning, have him refer you to one that does. If you do not have a lawyer, ask your friends for recommendations. Please remember, your lawyer works only for you. His or her job is to advise you and to draft the appropriate documents to effectively carry out your intentions. A good lawyer will save you and your beneficiaries money, time and aggravation.

4. Do-it-yourself will and trust documents are not quite as bad as do-it-yourself dentistry, but almost. In many areas, a lawyer will advise you and draft a will for about $100-$200. A do-it-yourself will or trust kit will cost between $10 and $20. If you make every optimal decision and do everything right, which is doubtful, you might save $150, the cost detailing your car or a case of cheap wine.
Is There a Simple Way of Making a Gift to SGI-USA Using Life Insurance?

Yes. You can name SGI-USA as the beneficiary of a new or existing policy. For an existing policy , ask your insurance agent how to change the beneficiary of a policy . This usually involves filling out a form and submitting to your company. Upon death, SGI-USA receives the proceeds from the policy. For a new policy, simply make SGI-USA a beneficiary or partial beneficiary.

There are two basic types of Insurance: "whole life" and "term." Insurance policies are contracts between the insurance company, "insurer," and the policy owner or "insured."

In a "term" policy, the owner pays a relatively small amount of premium for a large amount of coverage. If the owner stops paying the premium, the policy is cancelled. Nothing is due the owner from the insurance company. Depending on the wording of a term policy, the policy may or may not be cancelable by the insurance company. As the owner grows older, the premiums go up.

In a whole life policy, the owner of the policy pays a higher premium and creates a "cash surrender value" for the policy. Generally, the insurance company may not cancel whole life policies. Eventually, the whole life policy will be "paid up" meaning that no more premium payments are due, yet the face amount of the insurance is paid the beneficiary upon death of the insured.

Whole life policies upon which premiums have been paid for a number of years may still have value to the owner, even if the owner stopped making premium payments.

You can make a gift of a "paid up" or partially paid up whole life policy to SGI-USA by transferring the ownership of the policy. Since this gift is made during life, it qualifies for an income tax deduction.
Is there a way of making a gift to SGI-USA during my lifetime and maybe save on income taxes?

Yes. Because SGI USA is a tax-exempt organization under section 501 (c) (3), your gifts generate an income tax deduction. The specific amount of your deduction is governed by the tax code and depends on the type of gift you make. If you are interested in these options or other options that may be available, please talk to our National Planned Giving Staff.
Here are examples of gifts made during life.

Gift Annuity Agreements -- The donor transfers cash, securities or property to SGI-USA now and SGI-USA agrees by contract to pay the donor a fixed income for life. This annuity is qualified for an income tax deduction. In addition, part of the annual income paid to you by SGI-USA also qualifies for an income tax deduction.

Life Estate Agreements -- The donor transfers a farm or residence to SGI-USA now and reserves a life estate for the donor and the donor's spouse. The donor and the donor's spouse continue to have full enjoyment of the property for the life. The value of the real estate qualifies for a current income tax deduction.

Sale of Real Estate to SGI-USA at Less-than-fair Market Value -- The donor sells real estate at less than fair market value to SGI-USA. Generally, the donor receives an income tax deduction for difference between the fair market value and the sale price.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:11PM

Dear All:

The following is the the same as a reverse mortgage, the biggest scam to come down the pike since Ponzi:

Gift Annuity Agreements -- The donor transfers cash, securities or property to SGI-USA now and SGI-USA agrees by contract to pay the donor a fixed income for life. This annuity is qualified for an income tax deduction. In addition, part of the annual income paid to you by SGI-USA also qualifies for an income tax deduction.

Of course the SGI would latch onto it:

...reverse mortgages are products specifically designed for and targeted to senior citizens, the population group most vulnerable to fraud;
...scam artists know that a reverse mortgages provide the senior homeowner with relatively easy access to a sizeable pool of cash; and,
...reverse mortgages are harder to understand than traditional mortgages making it easier for the scam artist to confuse and take advantage of victims.

[ezinearticles.com]

Mark

Posted by: Tibbs ()
Date: January 01, 2011 12:36AM

Nichijew

The following is the the same as a reverse mortgage, the biggest scam to come down the pike since Ponzi:

Sign over all my money and property to the SGI and they'll pay me a fixed income for the rest of my life? Um, no. That is just scary. Although I'm sure they're not the only religious organization to be trying this stunt. they were already making tons of cash without swindling the elderly out of their worldly possessions.

Posted by: chooselife ()
Date: January 01, 2011 01:16AM

hertford65
I stopped attending meetings and started doubting what I was doing. It's very confusing to be told that you are not practising or chanting enough or that your faith needs strengthening. I felt that a couple of very strong minded individuals were trying to coerce me into introducing others. I went to a kick off meeting in early December where there must have been more than 100 members there. It was in that meeting that the penny finally dropped. I was watching a Video of President Ikeda on his travels around Europe. When the Senior Leaders and Directors spoke at the podium it was all about Ikeda and hardly any mention of Nichiren Daishonin or Buddhism. Then the envelopes came out for contribution to the Kosen Rufu fund! And suddenly the fog had cleared for me and I started to see SGI for what it really is- "A very lucrative multi billion dollar money making enterprise" A very clever and devious one at that. You are encouraged and enticed in and then when you sign up and become a commited member more and more is asked of you. They never leave you alone for one minute.

thanks for sharing hertford65!

one of my favorite bands on the planet is radiohead. they have a song called "karma police" that makes me wonder if thom yorke is ex-sgi (jk of course!). one of the lines kept going through my mind lately:

karma police
i've given all i can
it's not enough
i've given all i can
but we're still on the payroll

its such a pattern in the stories shared on this thread. its a pretty dangerous game to play with someone to ask alot of them, and still just ask for a little more. the guilt becomes overwhelming, and for someone with depression, its just awful.

"oh you've shakabuku'd 10 people? how about 5 more!"
"you've been to 7 meetings this week? hows another 2!"
"you've donated $x last may? how about double that this year!"

"can't understand mentor/disciple? CHANT CHANT CHANT! ITS GOOD FOR YOUR KARMA!"

the only thing that's been good for my karma lately is thinking for myself. ive realized that im still a good person without SGI. its helped me alot through these trying weeks.

hertford65, congrats on leaving when you did. one more week in that org and they wouldve made you a leader, which is the brainwash meat in a guilt-trip sandwich. im so grateful i muscled up the strength to leave!

"For a minute there, I lost myself"....

indeed.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: January 01, 2011 05:22AM

Here's wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year! Any one care to share their ups and downs in 2010 without SGI? I would be interested in what you all have experienced! One thing that has happened to me is that I lost nearly 30 pounds. :-) Now I'm not saying that SGI is responsible for weight gain, but in my case I really think that the lifestyle promoted by SGI contributed to my bad eating habits. When I was a member of SGI, a typical day would be: go to work, rush home, gobble some junk food down since I didn't have time to prepare/eat a real dinner, rush off to a meeting, eat junk food at the potluck at the meeting, and return home, very stressed. Since leaving SGI I have the time and energy to eat much better!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.