Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: December 11, 2010 11:20PM

chooselife
backnforth
Chooselife:

What's next?

Maybe you can start by making a list of all the ways you would spend your time if you weren't attending the many meetings and home visits I assume you were attending.

I would just try to do a lot of relaxing things for now; things you enjoy.

Will you give up chanting too? Saying goodbye to Buddhism or just SGI? They are 2 different things - do you agree?

Good luck. You will do fine and your world will open up. True friends will stay in touch and base the friendship on other things in common.

backnforth:

thank you so much! im not sure about chanting, or religion in general. i left my gohonzon up, but i tore down all the other stuff on the altar: daimoku campaign card, photos of prez ikeda and wife, my join certificate, all gone. all thats left is my butsudan and gohonzon, and all the other altar-type stuff. i cant even open it like i used to, with such ease. ill keep it up until i decide once and for all that chanting is for me. i like to chant, it clears my head, but i dont think it is the only way to meditate/concentrate/gain enlightenment.

ive been reading an objective book about buddhism, just to see if its really something i want in my life, and to learn more about shakyamuni. i like the faith alot, but i feel like i will be practicing alone alot. not that im committing to anything theravada, but needless to say, mahayana is kind of not on my radar either for obvious reasons. im just going to do as much research as i can, and make an INFORMED decision (aka- google search any group the first DAY i hear about it and not 2 years in)

i really could not have done this without all of you talking so openly about your experiences and making me realize how NOT crazy i am. someday soon i will really let it all out, but for now, i think im going to start learning how to have control over my life again.

thank you.

Dear Chooselife:

When I decided to leave the Soka Gakkai, I too removed everything related to them and their parent sect. My Butsudan had a metal crane symbol embedded in the middle and towards the top, on the outside. I wedged it off and it left a small scar on the Butsudan. When the Kempon Hokke priest came from Japan to visit, the first thing he said to me as he sat down to chant, "anger is no good. Please fix your Butsudan." It took me several years to fix the Butsudan and my anger.

Nichijew

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: aliciaenfermeira ()
Date: December 13, 2010 09:43PM

I'm about to leave SGI in Brazil after 20 years of leadership
in this organisation. I'd like to talk to some other ex-member
through Skype or msn.
Following the policies of the forum, the ones who want to contact me
may do so using the PM (priva messaging) function of this message board.
Thank you

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 10:10PM by aliciaenfermeira.

Posted by: TheVoid ()
Date: December 13, 2010 10:30PM

chooselife
backnforth
thank you so much! im not sure about chanting, or religion in general. i left my gohonzon up, but i tore down all the other stuff on the altar: daimoku campaign card, photos of prez ikeda and wife, my join certificate, all gone. all thats left is my butsudan and gohonzon, and all the other altar-type stuff. i cant even open it like i used to, with such ease. ill keep it up until i decide once and for all that chanting is for me. i like to chant, it clears my head, but i dont think it is the only way to meditate/concentrate/gain enlightenment.

thank you.

did it never cross your mind as odd, that you had pics of Ikeda and his wife on you ALTAR!!!

What you have left is now all that you need!

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 14, 2010 04:19AM

concerning "aliciaenfermeira"

Even though I am not a moderator in here I would warn to communicate on MSN or Skype with somebody who just turns up here.
The contact details would be out in the open and if a cam is involved also one's anonymity is lost. I do not trust SGI and maybe I am hysterical but it could be a trick to unveil some people's identity.

@ aliciaenfermeira: Tell us more about yourself and please do not take my scepticism as an insult

Posted by: chooselife ()
Date: December 14, 2010 12:21PM

TheVoid

did it never cross your mind as odd, that you had pics of Ikeda and his wife on you ALTAR!!!

I was encouraged to put his photo up on my altar to remind me that he is always chanting for me no matter what (what a guy!!!!!). I think thats why the SGI sends photos of Pres and Mrs. Ikeda as gifts in repayment for your financial contribution - solely so you put them on your altar. What the hell else are you gonna do with 'em? Put them on your fridge?

now that im gone, members and member-friends are sounding more and more like salesmen. theres negotiating, calling to schedule face-time, etc. im being sold my religion back after ive already returned it. i just want to hang out and talk as friends. im terrified that i lost that opportunity with them. i guess some sacrifices have to be made in the name of freedom.

i think im going to wait til they replace me leadership-wise to see my sgi-friends again. that way, there's less of an alterior motive on their part. any thoughts on this?

BTW i AGREE with Rothaus! I wouldn't skype with someone you don't know on this forum.

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: December 14, 2010 01:00PM

@chirider who wrote about, "...other sites that ex-sgi members talk about there run-ins with members. They still practice Nichiren Buddhism without the leadership of sgi. Here is the site if you want to look and read, Buddhist Thunder dot com" I checked this out. While I agree with the purest approach to Nichiren Buddhism adopted by this group, reading their stuff helped me understand that I never was and never will be the type of person who goes out in the world convinced that my way is the only true way. That was Nichiren's approach and the members of Buddhist Thunder appear to follow accordingly. The kind of single-minded courage needed to do shakubuku is something I am too timid to have. All it triggers me to do is to want to control people. All religions need their focused zealots to keep the faith going for newcomers and to keep the oldtimers on their toes. Fortunately or unfortunately no religious groups shall rise or fall based on my devotion to propagation.

Posted by: MajorMajor ()
Date: December 14, 2010 11:16PM

It is helpful to read other's experiences here, even if I disagree with some of the conclusions some of you have. For me, it is a real struggle right now to sort out my experience, on both personal and objective levels. I realize now the circuitous rationaization that I used to stay in the org for so long but it is difficult to find something that meets whatever need I had for being so involved for so long. I really like some of the ideals that Buddhism and the SGI aspire to on the surface, but also really hate some of the things, and find, in retrospect, some to be just plain stupid. Anyway, just wanted to say as I work through these, I do appreciate all of you and the challenges you face(d).

Posted by: TheVoid ()
Date: December 15, 2010 05:12PM

chooselife
TheVoid

I was encouraged to put his photo up on my altar to remind me that he is always chanting for me no matter what (what a guy!!!!!). I think thats why the SGI sends photos of Pres and Mrs. Ikeda as gifts in repayment for your financial contribution - solely so you put them on your altar. What the hell else are you gonna do with 'em? Put them on your fridge?
quote]

I love the Sarcasm in your 'What a guy' line. I think having the pics is a brainwashing tool, Ikeda and his missus on the altar so that his image is permeating all the members brains. What more proof is needed that Ikeda himself is a brainwashing 'tool', or just a tool!
It used to freak me out when members would have bigger pictures of Ikeda in there room and on their altar than they did of there own family. Also we were told not put things on the altar that weren't part of the altar. Obviously Ikeda is now part of the altar set up!

What a guy!

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: December 15, 2010 11:45PM

I had an Ikeda bobblehead doll by the back window of my car.

Posted by: Dioforever ()
Date: December 16, 2010 05:55AM

TheVoid
chooselife
TheVoid

quote]

I love the Sarcasm in your 'What a guy' line. I think having the pics is a brainwashing tool, Ikeda and his missus on the altar so that his image is permeating all the members brains. What more proof is needed that Ikeda himself is a brainwashing 'tool', or just a tool!
It used to freak me out when members would have bigger pictures of Ikeda in there room and on their altar than they did of there own family. Also we were told not put things on the altar that weren't part of the altar. Obviously Ikeda is now part of the altar set up!

What a guy!
Hi are we talking around or by the alter or in the alter,with the gohonzon? I have seen pics outside the alter but not inside.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.