Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 04, 2010 02:42PM

basknforth
Dialogue folks - - it's what makes peace happen, starting with you and me.

I am sorry but I saw the reassessment movement being crushed in the UK – the same thing happened in the US to a similar movement. So much for dialogue.
SGI is a top to bottom organisation and we all know who is at the top of it - its representative(s). Any representative of any organisation can and has to be held responsible for any action taken in the name of such an organisation.

Listen to the song 'the universal soldier' .... there is a section about Caesar and Hitler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 02:46PM by Rothaus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: backnforth ()
Date: December 05, 2010 02:17AM

Rothaus, I meant 'dialogue' on this forum. Why would we not let someone come on and voice their opinion? Are we like the SGI?

Agree. Dialogue is dead in the SGI.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: December 05, 2010 09:35AM

backnforth
Rothaus, I meant 'dialogue' on this forum. Why would we not let someone come on and voice their opinion? Are we like the SGI?

Agree. Dialogue is dead in the SGI.

I have had several blogs for more than three years. For almost three years, my principle blog was not moderated or censored. Then, some SGI members became, abusive and even threatening, and their defense of the indefensible became tiresome. Now my blog is moderated, peaceful, and much more constructive. Try and criticize the SGI on any of their blogs or forums, except the SGIUnofficial which is dying. You won't get even one critical post through. This forum is for victims and former victims of the Soka Gakkai. Some of us suffered greatly, physically, psychologically, and spiritually, due to the Soka Gakkai. This is not a forum even for guarded praise of the Soka Gakkai, its leaders or members. My two cents.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 09:37AM by Nichijew.

Date: December 05, 2010 06:10PM

@ Backnforth
sorry I misinterpreted then

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 06:11PM by Rothaus.

Posted by: newbud ()
Date: December 08, 2010 02:13AM

I have been involved with SGI for only about six months. I have approached this group like I do any group – warily. Early on I looked up the definition of cult. By Webster’s definition it looked like just about any religion was a cult. By other definitions in order to qualify as a cult the organization controlled your money, kept you from family, and controlled the way you thought, and forced beliefs on you.

I didn’t mind the “religion” aspect of things at SGI and no one asked me for money or forced anything upon me. I have definitely been put off by the pedestal they put Ikeda on. But I have been willing to overlook that for the pleasure of meeting with other members. So here is my dilemma. I came in around April/May when there was a big fund-raising push. I was told that they only do that one month out of the year. I did not give them any money toward their fundraising drive. I did give them $30 for the Gohonzon but also got a 1-year subscription to their magazine which is $30 so I didn’t mind. I have literally not been asked for one cent since then.

These posts (I’ve read just about all of them) concern me. So far, I enjoy the meetings and I enjoy chanting with others. Chanting in a room with 50 others is a very powerful experience. I am also looking at Buddhism through a Zen Buddhist Retreat Center. I have shared this with members and no one has told me it was wrong.

I’m new to all of this but have been drawn to Buddhism and will continue to search and learn. I like being part of a “community.” The people I have met so far in SGI like so many others have said are “really nice” and not glassy-eyed happy-people but sincere and genuine individuals. At first I was sorry I hadn’t come upon this group years ago. Many members have been practicing for over 30 years.

Now I am questioning my involvement with them and hesitate to bring any new guests to meetings. I like the chanting and the study and would like to continue. I guess my question is – is Nichiren Buddhism really Buddhism. I like the lay aspect of SGI and don’t feel inclined to seek out the priest-led Nichiren groups but will be pulling back from my involvement as I feel my enthusiasm wane based on the bitter feelings of those former members posting here and elsewhere and the aggressive tactics they describe. Though I don’t feel I have been victimized in the least, I sense the potential and want to avoid that at all costs. Is it possible they have modified their tactics to be less offensive and controlling? The SGI of the 70’s and 80’s sounds like a very different organization than the one I walked into 6 months ago. And is it possible the groups negative aspects vary from one center to another?

Some say Nichiren was insane. He ran around telling other sects they were wrong in their beliefs. Some say this is not the behavior of a real Buddhist.

I’ve seen others write that Nichiren Buddhism isn’t really Buddhism. It is just new age greed. Or is that just the SGI version – chant for a car, chant for wealth and, of course, don’t forget to chant for others.

I will continue to study and learn. I’m comfortable going alone although I have enjoyed the company of others. It helps to have a community to bounce ideas off. The dialogue and questions and answers and reinforcement can be positive. I would like to keep chanting. In addition to studying the Lotus Sutra I still feel inclined to study some of the Zen and Tibetan teachings and continue with other forms of meditation. These postings have been very helpful and I appreciate everyone’s honest assessment of SGI and sharing their very personal and sometimes painful experiences.

Posted by: cyclops ()
Date: December 08, 2010 04:38AM

FOR SURE – When I started with my practice it was all about open forum – people acutely had dialogue- amazing things back in the day – so now it’s all about group think speak out of turn and you have a pack of Ikedabots talking you down – and if you persist in speaking your mind you are opening up yourself to Sr. Leaders doing home visitations sometimes unannounced – or last minute prior to them arriving. Sort of an intimidation tactic because who wants people coming into your abode with lots and lots of IKEDAISM being tossed about been there done that! They just keep on a coming until you get so worn down that you just give up! Lot’s have because the SGI has morph itself into a group think organization and if you differ then you’re the problem and you need to fix your outlook and not the other way around! It’s hard because some of the Leaders act as if they don’t believe in some of the agenda but just go along to get along – it’s more of a power thing with some of them! Not sure why but the trend is synergy to their MASTER IKEDA - after that the SGI will have to live off the IKEDA legacy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 04:39AM by cyclops.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: December 08, 2010 08:50AM

newbud
I have been involved with SGI for only about six months. I have approached this group like I do any group – warily. Early on I looked up the definition of cult. By Webster’s definition it looked like just about any religion was a cult. By other definitions in order to qualify as a cult the organization controlled your money, kept you from family, and controlled the way you thought, and forced beliefs on you.

I didn’t mind the “religion” aspect of things at SGI and no one asked me for money or forced anything upon me. I have definitely been put off by the pedestal they put Ikeda on. But I have been willing to overlook that for the pleasure of meeting with other members. So here is my dilemma. I came in around April/May when there was a big fund-raising push. I was told that they only do that one month out of the year. I did not give them any money toward their fundraising drive. I did give them $30 for the Gohonzon but also got a 1-year subscription to their magazine which is $30 so I didn’t mind. I have literally not been asked for one cent since then.

These posts (I’ve read just about all of them) concern me. So far, I enjoy the meetings and I enjoy chanting with others. Chanting in a room with 50 others is a very powerful experience. I am also looking at Buddhism through a Zen Buddhist Retreat Center. I have shared this with members and no one has told me it was wrong.

I’m new to all of this but have been drawn to Buddhism and will continue to search and learn. I like being part of a “community.” The people I have met so far in SGI like so many others have said are “really nice” and not glassy-eyed happy-people but sincere and genuine individuals. At first I was sorry I hadn’t come upon this group years ago. Many members have been practicing for over 30 years.

Now I am questioning my involvement with them and hesitate to bring any new guests to meetings. I like the chanting and the study and would like to continue. I guess my question is – is Nichiren Buddhism really Buddhism. I like the lay aspect of SGI and don’t feel inclined to seek out the priest-led Nichiren groups but will be pulling back from my involvement as I feel my enthusiasm wane based on the bitter feelings of those former members posting here and elsewhere and the aggressive tactics they describe. Though I don’t feel I have been victimized in the least, I sense the potential and want to avoid that at all costs. Is it possible they have modified their tactics to be less offensive and controlling? The SGI of the 70’s and 80’s sounds like a very different organization than the one I walked into 6 months ago. And is it possible the groups negative aspects vary from one center to another?

Some say Nichiren was insane. He ran around telling other sects they were wrong in their beliefs. Some say this is not the behavior of a real Buddhist.

I’ve seen others write that Nichiren Buddhism isn’t really Buddhism. It is just new age greed. Or is that just the SGI version – chant for a car, chant for wealth and, of course, don’t forget to chant for others.

I will continue to study and learn. I’m comfortable going alone although I have enjoyed the company of others. It helps to have a community to bounce ideas off. The dialogue and questions and answers and reinforcement can be positive. I would like to keep chanting. In addition to studying the Lotus Sutra I still feel inclined to study some of the Zen and Tibetan teachings and continue with other forms of meditation. These postings have been very helpful and I appreciate everyone’s honest assessment of SGI and sharing their very personal and sometimes painful experiences.

Dear Newbie:

The SGI isn't Buddhism. If you consider the practice of the Lotus Sutra to be Buddhism, then Nichiren Buddhism is certainly Buddhism. One definition of Buddhism is, "The teachings of the Buddha." The Lotus Sutra is the teaching of the Buddha and I have successfully argued this [I believe] with Theravadans and Tibetians. Not only is it the teaching of the Buddha but the most profound teaching.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 08:51AM by Nichijew.

Posted by: backnforth ()
Date: December 08, 2010 11:10AM

Hi Newbud,

I'm one of the 25+ members and I can say the SGI is more controlling now. They are telling us what to do in the meetings; they want the Ikeda talk and if you just study the gosho, they feel you are off-course.

It is truly a dilemma; you express it well. Yes, real people well-meaning with kind hearts. Intelligent people, but if you look closely, they aren't relaying many benefits lately. It's more about obligation now. Doing everything for their Sensei, not for their own happiness anymore.

I just have the strong feeling that they are building up to something; a major announcement. Not just that Ikeda will pass away (soon?) but they may have a new name for the organization, new silent prayers, new Gohonzon? I don't know what is coming, but I just sense that something major will change . . . and so many others, like us, will attempt to question, be silenced and will also leave.

Date: December 09, 2010 12:51AM

bachnforth
I just have the strong feeling that they are building up to something; a major announcement. Not just that Ikeda will pass away (soon?) but they may have a new name for the organization, new silent prayers, new Gohonzon? I don't know what is coming, but I just sense that something major will change . . . and so many others, like us, will attempt to question, be silenced and will also leave.

Well to be honest it would not surprise me one bit ... comming up with an Ikeda-Gohonzon would release them of the catch 22 situation they are in right now by handing out what basically is a NST gohonzon.

Posted by: Morgaine ()
Date: December 09, 2010 01:36AM

Rothaus
bachnforth

Well to be honest it would not surprise me one bit ... comming up with an Ikeda-Gohonzon would release them of the catch 22 situation they are in right now by handing out what basically is a NST gohonzon.

Hi everyone, I have been gone for a while enjoying all the free time and peace and quiet since I left the cult. I would say that I agree with @Rothaus, there is definitely something up. I personally believe Mr. Ikeda, has been dead for quite sometime and they are doing a catch up to shore up the troops before they make the announcement. I sincerely hope they are not coming up with an Ikeda Gohonzon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.