Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:03AM

backnforth
Exmio: I think the timing would be good for a new lay organization to be launched for those that want to practice the basics of chanting, introducing others and study. But as some of us have mentioned, receiving Gohonzon would be difficult (if you, like me, am not in favor of downloading over the internet). I am interested in what you mean when you say "I am the chosen one to get this started . . ."

Others have mentioned the future of this Buddhism is in private 'schools' like Yoga, TaiChi, etc., where you pay to be a member and come to the chanting sessions. I'm not seeing this as being in the spirit of Nichiren Buddhism.

Others yet, are satisfied with an independent practice. That seems to be the only alternative for many that are soured on organized religion. We continue to miss the community though . . .

The last time something similar was tried, the Independent Reassesment Group [IRG] in 1997, it was crushed. Before that, NSB [Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism, as opposed to NSA], based on the Shoshinkai, was established but fizzled out after a few years. There are probably several thousand independent practitioners of Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhism in the world. The only viable option, in my opinion, is to join one of the established sects, the Kempon Hokke, the Nichiren Shu, or the Honmon Butsuryu Shu. There is also the NBAA [the Nichiren Buddhist Association of America] and the Everlife Foundation formed by former SGI leaders and which have some traction and sustainability. You may look them up. They all have websites. The most fundamentalist sect is the Kempon Hokke. Harvey Kraft is the founder of the Everlife Foundation which is based solely on the gentle practices. He is a kind and caring man but not sure if you could consider him a disciple and believer of Nichiren who was a Master and Teacher of the forceful practices.

Mark

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 01:11AM by Nichijew.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cyclops ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:55AM

For Sure – I and others like me spent many years without a Gohonzon I feel it is not necessary, years ago many members did not have a Gohonzon – my MASTER in this practice always said the Buddha is inside you, you don’t have to look outward for enlightenment – in my journey over these many years I have seen many members look @ the Gohonzon as a wishing well – and the butsudan as a wishing box – and placing persons over the LAW. I look @ the Gohonzon as a mirror and reflect on issues in my life @ least that was the way I was told to look @ the Gohonzon. But for many they look @ the Gohonzon as a power tool to get what they desire, some even believe that the bigger the Gohonzon the bigger the benefit! WHAT UP WITH THAT! The Gohonzon is useful if used correctly. : )

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: October 05, 2010 12:31PM

@backnforth, you wrote, "Others yet, are satisfied with an independent practice. That seems to be the only alternative for many that are soured on organized religion. We continue to miss the community though" I once thought I would miss the organization. I don't. I don't think I want organized anything anymore. Personalities soon take over the original purpose and suspicious money practices often follow closely behind. I have said this before but shall again: most of the meetings I attended for years prior to my departure were not enlightening. I constantly dreaded the whole MDM component that the pubs, leaders, or members would espouse. Of course most of the members were very nice but I could never get over the feeling that most people(guests and those outside SGI) simply are not interested in this practice or in SGI's authoritative stance on Buddhism. I tired of pitching Buddhism as a means to get things and I know that turned off lots of guests and newer members too. I do believe my practice improves my life on a deep level but I will not draw a line from my practice to all the wonderful or not wonderful things that have happened in the past 21 years. Life is simply too complicated and mysterious to approach so simplistically and so magically. @cyclops, I agree that for many the Gohonzon and the butsudan become a slot machine. I have had my share of that, but I am in the process of dissolving it. My practice does give me clarity, hope, inner joy, and wisdom. These things can bring me success but I don't believe the success is caused by the practice. I was also encouraged to get a larger one of each too. I did not go for it. Those who think they have to organize a non-SGI group to chant with: Beware. You all will eventually deal with the same things that annoyed you about SGI or you will find new things to get annoyed over. I once attended meetings with a group that was a kind of a maverick(I won't reveal the details about the main or maverick group). Some of us thought we would avoid the unpleasant aspects of the main group. Well, we did, kind of but the whole experience was weird. It felt as if everyone was constantly trying to prove why the main group did not work instead of creating a joyful, meaningful experience in the new one. I eventually checked out of that one and returned to the main one. Perhaps I will eventually seek out other members to chant with. Maybe.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 12:45PM by doubtful.

Date: October 06, 2010 06:25AM

For Sure – a group of likeminded people that want to engage and learn about Buddhism – I guess I was lucky my first ten years or so I had a what I would call a Buddhist MASTER well versed in Buddhist teachings he wasn’t about ego or power - he would lecture about once or twice a month and people would come from miles away to hear his lectures – It was a less wearisome time. No Gohonzon – no organizations – just people coming together and able to exchange ideas and philosophizing – without any baggage – like IKEDA is my MASTER (mentor) – or defeat the Evil Priesthood – and so on! When I was a Leader I had Sr. leaders come up to me and try to pressure me into telling members that without SGI they can’t practice properly – my response has always been – really I practice for a decade without a Gohonzon or NS /SG/NSA/SGI so I don’t agree – all you need is a seeking mind and a open heart – the Buddha is within you – you don’t have to go to meetings or take IKEDA as your MASTER/mentor or go to the Florida Culture Center to find your buddhahood! SGI has done a role reversal – from supporting the members in practices – now it’s the members that serve IKEDA and the SGI hierarchy to the detriment of us all. : (

Posted by: Tibbs ()
Date: October 06, 2010 10:50AM

Did anyone else see this on fraughtwithperil.com? Maybe it's old news to the rest of you, but according to an article from a French magazine Ikeda applied for a patent on the phrase Namu Myo Renge Kyo in 1972. If that's true...wow.

www.fraughtwithperil.com

Date: October 07, 2010 03:11AM

Well here we go again – a mile isn’t enough – got this from a member who is concerned with all of these events: so now SGI has in true form renamed all of the Youth Performing Groups to, you guess it – the IKEDA Youth Ensemble – ALL hail the all highest MENTOR of all time IKEDA MASTER to us all……
WHY not just do a name change from Nichiren to Ikeda sect - it would save a lot of time instead of this Incrementalism - it's so old hack : (

There is a historic announcement inside today's issue of the Rock the Era
> Newsletter!!!! Please open it up to find out for yourself! If you have
> trouble opening the PDF, please read below for a summary of the news found
> inside:
>
> We have the most exciting news to share: late last night, September 22,
> 2010, we received the news that Sensei has renamed what were previously
> referred to as the Youth Performing Groups.
>
>
> From this day on, all youth performers in SGI-USA will be referred to as
> members of the Ikeda Youth Ensemble!!!

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: October 07, 2010 06:06AM

Tibbs
Did anyone else see this on fraughtwithperil.com? Maybe it's old news to the rest of you, but according to an article from a French magazine Ikeda applied for a patent on the phrase Namu Myo Renge Kyo in 1972. If that's true...wow.

www.fraughtwithperil.com

Patent application SGI
Namu Myoho Renge Kyo I
In January 1972, the Soka Gakkai, at the request of its President, Mr. Daisaku Ikeda,  filed several patent applications at the National Office of Industrial Property, concerning the trade mark “Namu Myoho Renge Kyo.” The publication, in the Official Journal of the Japanese filing of this mark, is dated June 20, 1974. Complaints were filed by organizations affiliated with the School Minobu and other Nichiren Shu affilliates, who also recite Namu Myoho Renge Kyo, Rissho KOSEIKAI MYOCHIKAI Kyodan of Tokyo, the MYODOKAI Kyodan, DAIHEKIKAI Kyodan of Osaka. The approval was canceled on May 20, 1977. It ‘worth noting that the Soka Gakkai filed 17 other brands “trademark” as “Shohondo”, “Dainippon Komeito,” “From Nichirenghe Zan”, the ancient name of Mount Fuji, etc..
Extracted from the French magazine “Le Bouddhisme de l’Ecole Fuji”, No. 17 December 1992 – Part following the No. 15, in turn, translated from “Nichiren Dai” – November 1992 (from a footnote on the page text of the 41 ° course held in the Great Hall of the Reading Taisekiji)

Thanks, Tibbs and Mark. An application to patent daimoku in 1972, in 2010, all SGI USA Youth Performers are now the Ikeda Ensemble. SGI may look, on the surface, as if it's changed through the years. The truth is, it's actually remained very consistent. Ikeda's greed and ego come before anything else.

Posted by: Morgaine ()
Date: October 07, 2010 06:08PM

The more I read about what is going on the more happy I am about my decisions this year to really turn my practice in another direction. Instead of realizing the MDM ( mentor disciple mistake) , is just that a mistake, they are ramping it up into high gear. When will the madness stop?

Posted by: Dioforever ()
Date: October 08, 2010 05:29AM

Morgaine
The more I read about what is going on the more happy I am about my decisions this year to really turn my practice in another direction. Instead of realizing the MDM ( mentor disciple mistake) , is just that a m istake, they are ramping it up into high gear. When will the madness stop?
.......................NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: October 08, 2010 09:13AM

@tsukimoto, You wrote, "Patent application SGI
Namu Myoho Renge Kyo I
In January 1972, the Soka Gakkai, at the request of its President, Mr. Daisaku Ikeda, filed several patent applications at the National Office of Industrial Property, concerning the trade mark “Namu Myoho Renge Kyo.” The more and more I find out about things like this in SGI's past the more I agree with others here who suggest that what we are currently seeing was put in place decades ago. MDM was inevitable because it may have been the plan since the late 60s. Now "all SGI USA Youth Performers are now the Ikeda Ensemble." Do they not see how desperate and cult-like all of this is? Does SGI really think that what the world really needs is familiarity with Ikeda? Why? Why? Why? Earlier this year one leader told me Ikeda was greater than Gandhi and Ikeda, that he is the mentor for all mankind. I kid you not. I never thought I would see this day: I don't even wear my SGI baseball caps or t-shirts because I don't want anyone asking me about SGI. I will not promote them at all despite the fact that most members are very nice people. I really hope the departure of longtime members like me serve as a wake-up call to some, but I have no real hope that it will.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.