Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: ScoobyDooby ()
Date: August 17, 2010 11:41PM

I've never heard about this organization (doesn't appear to be affiliated with any of the Nicherin organizations that I know of) but an interesting discussion regarding the M/D relationship.

[www.nbaa.tv]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cyclops ()
Date: August 18, 2010 01:32AM

doubtful - For sure - I started practicing in Korea before SG/NS was allowed in – it was a purer practice, then I found in either Japan or the States – because their was no Ikeda – Nikken - Priesthood – NS –SG – just practice and study (funny membership grew and people of like mind came together for dialog and Buddhist discussion of Buddhist philosophy and the strange thing about it we didn’t need Ikeda SG/NS or the priesthood to facilitate these events AMAZING so why are these players even necessary as one of my MASTERS told me many moons ago all it takes is a seeking mind) – Then the dark times came – Ikeda – Nikken power struggle – embellishment on both sides on who was the most corrupt! So many allegations on both sides and probably all true! Then came the changing of the conversation away from seeking enlightenment and razing one’s life condition, to chant for the downfall of Nikken, NS and the priesthood and let’s us not forget the now ever popular chant to become HAPPY – a SGI trademark (patent pending) - SGI placing Ikeda @ the center of all things and all the rest of the distractions – all for not because the members lost focus on why they practice and refocus on SGI – IKEDA and mentor/MASTER/disciple relationship – I have seen so many members possessed by activities – rallies – and of course donations to an already blotted coffers of SGI – zaimu – special zaimu - May contributions that start in earnest in March and go onto @ least June! AND don’t forget to change your financial karma – just charge it to your credit card $$ ; ) $$ talk about a racket. Just as I think it can’t get any more twilight zonish - It does - nothing surprises me with the SGI they just keep pushing the envelope! From unreal to unbelievable : (

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 18, 2010 02:42AM

Well I must admit that if this is going to be the next step it would not surprise me at all as I always suspected, that the development would go down that road. Maybe those here present that are still in SGI could enlighten us on this one. I say this because I would hate to see this board to spread rumours. Maybe somewhere deep down in me someone hopes that this can not be true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 02:43AM by Rothaus.

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: August 18, 2010 12:19PM

@Rothaus, I agree with you. I hope that people who post here are sure that they are posting factual things and not rumors. Unfortunately, there are enough unpleasant facts about SGI that we don't need to make stuff up or spread innuendo. That being said, I will hold off on commenting on any potential SGI moves. The reality is interesting enough. To everyone, this past week was a bit rough. I know August is MD month and sometimes I attended FNCC and reported back to the MD of our district. I always helped organize and facilitate the discussion meeting, but not this year. A few days ago I felt strange. Recently I learned that since my departure some other key district members have moved (not left). I started feeling bad for the district, like I should be helping them. One very sincere member called me to say they missed my input and my presence. This was hard. It was the first contact I have had with any district members since my departure. I gave her a relatively brief explanation for my departure and I could feel her disappointment. It was hard. I was tempted to say I would start attending chanting sessions occasionally since I do still practice. Then, I remembered why I left. In fact, I told her I would not be attending any activities because my view of the practice and the organization's view simply cannot co-exist. I cannot reasonably expect SGI to stop worshiping Ikeda and SGI should not expect me to start. For them Nichiren Buddhism and Ikeda are inseparable. I refrained from telling her I thought SGI is a cult because I respect her right to stick with it. Unfortunately, SGI does fit the definition of a cult. Okay, they are pretty benign as cults go, but that is not very encouraging to me. I am writing this to anyone who is contemplating leaving SGI or who has recently left. I did feel bad two days ago, but that feeling went away when I chanted, occupied myself with constructive activities, and recalled that my reasons for leaving were not based on anger. They were not impulsive or irrational. Instead of succumbing to guilt or magical thinking (retribution/reward/punishment) I stayed on the course I am on and I got over that temporary discomfort. It makes sense that 20+ years of active participation would be difficult to get over, but it is definitely possible. Thank you RRI and all of you who stay active on this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 12:22PM by doubtful.

Posted by: Morgaine ()
Date: August 18, 2010 04:35PM

@doubtful,

Hi doubtful, I had a similar experience to yours to day. I ran into a member who I know had not been out in a while, he was a small group leader , and they retained his position for him. He had since returned and has taken up his old position. I did not know it was MD month but he informed me of all-the difficulties he was having planning a meeting. I have to admit I did feel the need to rush in and volunteer to help, but as he kept talking and was so animated/aggravated it actually made me realize how peaceful my life has become over the last few months. I resisted the urge to help out and was vague when he asked me when I was coming back. It is hard to change after so many years but I am really enjoying all the free time. Maybe we should think up a motto, like AA has, "one day at a time".

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: August 18, 2010 08:32PM

@doubtful, @morgaine,

Sometimes I want to attend a meeting again just to find a glaring reason to stay uninvolved with SGI. A rumour like the one being discussed of late on this forum would be that glaring reason if true. I ask myself: "Haven't I seen enough reasons already?" I think it is a day at a time process for me. I do feel that I am beginning to make the right causes for my life, not in the form of abundant daimoku or Gakkai activities, but in the necessary continuity of relevant action toward a result. Beginning... Finally! I know my practice was not ideal back in the day but when, for example, I was told I was practicing as if I were 'Pure Land' or some other sect, no time was spent with me to get me back on course. Oh Well. That frantic running to ensure that this or that detail is in place is not the whirled peace I want.

Date: August 19, 2010 01:48AM

doubtful, @morgaine, @rattyboy - For Sure as some of you do I still practice as does my family – on occasion I do venture to a meeting now and again – to see old friends and to see just how far the SGI movement has gone – it’s hard to see some of the insightful – thoughtful and I dare say educated members just taking it all in – I personal know a few in the SGI echelon (Chapter and below) that off the record they will tell me that they don’t know where this will eventually end up at! But @ the meetings they keep a stiff upper lip and will keeping up the rhetoric of Ikeda mentor to us all.
Now onto the MD August meeting – here what I got yet another Ikeda moment – they want all MD to take a pilgrimage to their Centers and sign a commemorative sheet so it can be sent to his most high Ikeda mentor in chief to us all……. Needless to say I and others will not be attending– however by their (SGI) track record on signing in I fear that I and others that are no-show will still be on the sign-in sheet. Here is a excerpt -
We are asking men throughout SGI-USA to gather together to do gongyo and commemorate this important date as a starting point to create a new history together as a response to our mentor. SGI-USA facilities will be made available for these meetings and every effort should be made to accommodate the diverse schedules of the men in our organization. For example, additional daytime meetings can be scheduled in communities where a number of men work in the evening. In communities without an SGI-USA center, other local meeting places such as members’ homes can be used.
Signature Sheets to Commemorate the Occasion
Every man who participates in these meetings will have an opportunity to sign his name on a special signature sheet to mark his participation and express appreciation to his mentor at this historic time. The sheets will be collected and bound into a book to be sent to President Ikeda.
FOR SURE - IKEDAISM RUN AMUCK ;(

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 02:06AM by cyclops.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:32AM

@ cyclops

Its a bit scary … must admit. Having left and being back to the 'normal' world I find all that bizarre to say the least.
Way back in this forum we made the Santa Claus comparison … and thats just what it sounds like, writing letters to Father Christmas.
The circumstances you describe make it look as to find out just who swallowed the M/D pill and who did not. The ones you describe keeping a stiff upper lip will find it even harder to stay.

Date: August 19, 2010 04:02AM

Rothaus - for sure - I will have to admit – good analogy – this thing of chant to become HAPPY or you need a mentor (Ikeda) to become everything you want to be! It sounds like a comic book story type of reality- the Gohonzon as a wishing well for all of your desires and Ikeda as your mentor to show you the path to enlightenment - what a distortion – but the most outrage I have is the brainwashing of the YD – the YD are still developing their intellect so they are very impressionable. SGI is doing a vast disservice expounding on their mentor (Ikeda) / disciples YD – and lecturing on Ikeda guidance and not on the Gosho’s - hard for me to see just how far this organization has gotten off the path! If back in the day anyone came up and said chant to become happy or you need Ikeda as a mentor to advance in your practice – that person would have been shown the door – the reason because you would not be practicing Nichiren – you would be practicing some other form of Buddhism or something entirely different : )
The good news is that there is an underground movement afoot- members and some lower level leaders that are not pleased with this Ikeda – mentor mantra – some will talk off the record about it but won’t stir the waters maybe in time there might be another split or a reemergence back to doctrine.
The old proverb – POWER tends to corrupt, and absolute POWER corrupts absolutely - Even to the SGI -MENTOR - PRESENDENT and billionaire IKEDA ; (

Posted by: Morgaine ()
Date: August 19, 2010 08:24AM

ScoobyDooby
I've never heard about this organization (doesn't appear to be affiliated with any of the Nicherin organizations that I know of) but an interesting discussion regarding the M/D relationship.

[www.nbaa.tv]
@ScoobyDooby

Hi, one of my friends who lurks on this site just told me to look at the link you have posted, I think this is one of the best answers I have heard to the whole Master/Disciple thing, thanks for posting it.

@cyclops
As for the whole signing a pledge thing to Mr. Ikeda, I think it is worse than scary it really is downright evil, I hesitate to use the word evil, but it is. To take the focus that far off of the true practice and then make it mandatory for all the Men to sign a pledge is evil. Essentially they are forcing people to comply, very Borg like "resistance is futile". What will happen to those that do not sign the pledge will they be kicked-out? I hope as someone says that there is a collective waking up in the SGI and people really start to protest. This is bordering on madness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.