Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: June 25, 2010 11:27AM

@tsukimoto

How true. We were told that we didn't need to read the Lotus Sutra because it was really too difficult to understand, and besides we just needed to chant. SGI says that "faith, practice, and study" are the essentials of practice, but they don't want the members to really study. Just read President Ikeda or SGI's interpretation of everything.

When I was "home visited" a few months ago, a couple of SGI senior leaders came over. I had a copy of a translation of the Lotus Sutra laying around, which wasn't SGI's translation. It was pointed out to me that I didn't need to read it. We were very lucky to have SGI's translation of the Lotus Sutra, so it was better not to read anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 11:29AM by quiet one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 25, 2010 08:10PM

quiet one
When I was "home visited" a few months ago, a couple of SGI senior leaders came over. I had a copy of a translation of the Lotus Sutra laying around, which wasn't SGI's translation. It was pointed out to me that I didn't need to read it. We were very lucky to have SGI's translation of the Lotus Sutra, so it was better not to read anything else.

This is one of the warning signs of a cult: they want to control the information that members are exposed to. Cult leaders want the members to read and hear only the information that reinforces the cult's viewpoint.

Posted by: Blue Lady ()
Date: June 25, 2010 09:06PM

quiet one
@tsukimoto

How true. We were told that we didn't need to read the Lotus Sutra because it was really too difficult to understand, and besides we just needed to chant. SGI says that "faith, practice, and study" are the essentials of practice, but they don't want the members to really study. Just read President Ikeda or SGI's interpretation of everything.

Yes I too remember being told we did not need to read the Lotus Sutra this was before the current translation. I guess if your leaders came to my house they would think I am a heretic. I read all kinds of books and lately all kinds of Buddhist books not SANCTION BY THE SGI. Ha who can come in your house and tell you what to read and not to read SOUNDS LIKE NAZISM TO ME.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 26, 2010 12:11AM

And to some leaders, the fact that you read at all is a problem. One of my friends was telling our leader that she got up a little earlier in the morning to read, and that she was reading a great book on Arabic culture. The leader scolded my friend, saying, "You should be using that time to do more daimoku!"

My friend already did a lot of daimoku, and she argued "Doesn't President Ikeda talk a lot about the value of learning? Doesn't he quote a lot of different writers? Doesn't he say that we should try to understand other cultures?"

The leader said, "Well, don't neglect your practice for reading. Chanting changes your life, reading doesn't." My friend later said that she felt she'd done something wrong, but didn't know what, exactly. What was so wrong with getting up early and reading, as long as you're also doing gongyo and chanting daimoku?

I guess a good SGI member is just supposed to stick to reading The World Tribune, Living Buddhism, and The Human Revolution. Otherwise they might get an idea that SGI doesn't approve of -- can't have that!

Date: June 26, 2010 12:21AM

From: Wake up to you Life by Ken McLeod – This was suggested to me by a member who used to be what you would call a Senior Leader.

Do you need a teacher? Page 11
The teacher’s motivation is on e of the essential conditions for a productive relationship. Why is this person teaching – for profit, power, status, recognition , or gratification of personal needs, from an obligation to a teacher or institution, to maintain a tradition, as service to others, or in service to what is true? You can tell something about the motivation of a teacher from what is required of students. Possibilities include money, service, and obedience, bringing in new students, dependence, and effort in practice or progress of practice……….SOUNDS LIKE what organization we all know?

Further down on the same page
…… Teachers are relatively isolated in this culture and received little support or appreciation from society. They often compensate for their isolation by overburdening the one community they have – students – with their needs for appreciation, recognition or support.

Since, -what--- the early 2000 we seem to have broken out of that isolation. But again even with the honorary degrees which are related to a member working at said University to work hard to have Pres Ikeda recognize by said University. Giving the Dean of Students or the President of Univ. books by Ikeda, or having an exhibit at the University. And Having SGI, Public Relations people meet with said VIP at the schools – hence the President of said University winds up given said honoree degree. Still President Ikeda is relatively unknown outside SGI. Everyone can tell you, who the Dali Lama is, or Mother Teresa or Bishop Demond Tutu. But not Daisaku Ikeda?
Further down the page
Students in this culture have a tendency to give themselves away to their teacher, often as a result of family conditioning or similarly based needs for affection, appreciation or security. The student may idealize the teacher and project onto the teacher the students own conception of perfection

Page 12 … A crucial task for you as a student is to be clear about your own intention. If you don’t clearly understand what you are looking for in a teacher….. You will inevitably accept someone else’s agenda as your own…… Another person’s experience can never answer your own questions. You have to know what you want from your practice. Then you can know what you want in a teacher.
Page 13.. Teacher’s students reveal a lot about the teacher. … Observe the group with the following questions in mind. A yes answer to any of them is usually a sign that things are not right.
1. Does the group feel that it is special or that it is going to save the word, or does it insist that this is the one true teaching?
2. Are students restricted in the use of their own intelligence and judgment?
3. Are questions and discussions inhibited or restricted to certain topics?
4. Do students have to climb a staircase of escalating fees? Donations or service in order to received instructions and guidance?
5. Does the group exploit students for its own functioning?
6. Do students show no appreciable progress over the long term? HELLO CAN I GET AN AMEN TO THIS ONE.
7. Does the group require severing connections with family, friends etc.
ONE THING I NOTED FROM PAGE 16 IN TERMS OF MENTOR AND DISCIPLE
It says… YOU CANNOT REPAY YOUR TEACHER DIRECLTY, the teacher in teaching is fulfilling his or her relationship with the mystery of being( i.e. the Law) The only way to repay a teacher is to pass on what you have come to understand to another person. In other words the practice of presence (I would say this is your direct understanding of the Law), itself, is how you repay the kindness of you teacher.

Date: June 26, 2010 12:24AM

tsukimoto
And to some leaders, the fact that you read at all is a problem. One of my friends was telling our leader that she got up a little earlier in the morning to read, and that she was reading a great book on Arabic culture. The leader scolded my friend, saying, "You should be using that time to do more daimoku!"

My friend already did a lot of daimoku, and she argued "Doesn't President Ikeda talk a lot about the value of learning? Doesn't he quote a lot of different writers? Doesn't he say that we should try to understand other cultures?"

The leader said, "Well, don't neglect your practice for reading. Chanting changes your life, reading doesn't." My friend later said that she felt she'd done something wrong, but didn't know what, exactly. What was so wrong with getting up early and reading, as long as you're also doing gongyo and chanting daimoku?

I guess a good SGI member is just supposed to stick to reading The World Tribune, Living Buddhism, and The Human Revolution. Otherwise they might get an idea that SGI doesn't approve of -- can't have that!

Its all over this disease " Where leaders do not think before they open thier mouths" All they do is parrot what THEY THINK IS PRACTICE.. thats why no benifit. We no longer practice the correct way. We just make up WHAT WE THINK IS THE RIGHT WAY TO PRACTICE. your friends can vouch for that.

That is why I rarely tell anyone what I am doing in my personal life. If they dont hear tht you are chanting 10 hours a day. Did 12 shakubuku, Study 20 mins . Something is wrong with your practice. GET A LIFE -- GIVE ME A BREAK.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 26, 2010 12:50AM

@ blue lady @ tsukimoto

Deep down the emphazis given on eductaion is a farce in SGI. As I said some in SGI even fear education and looking beyond one's own tea cup. Yet again reminds me of Mao and the Cultural Revolution.

SGI-guys out there just reading the messages in here I truly feel sorry for you. SGI really is pathetic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 01:06AM by Rothaus.

Date: June 26, 2010 01:15AM

Did you ever get the sense that you never measure up? For lack of a better word with the Super –fabulous- excellent- Member. Sounds like a super hero. Able to leap tall obstacles in a single bound and rescue poor unfortunate beings from their sufferings
Anyway this Super –fabulous- excellent- Member . The one who defines his/her guest as “My shakubuku”. It’s to let the rest of us who do not have success in conning others to receive the Gohonzon – we somehow are lacking in faith. Everything is “my shakubuku this or that.” Or I just called my shakubuku to encourage him or her to Rock the Era. Doesn’t the person have a name? This person is not your shakubuku – if so, than you should refer to them as your subdued, broken,needed to be corrected guest or member.( Shakubuku means to break (Shaku) delusion (Buku) — to cut suffering — to empower )You don’t own them. It’s a rivalry amongst the members. The recent World Tribune spoke of friendly competition when it comes to shakubuku. What the Hey? Competition? Why do I need to be at war with other persons beliefs?

Date: June 26, 2010 01:16AM

Rothaus
@ blue lady @ tsukimoto

Deep down the emphazis given on eductaion is a farce in SGI. As I said some in SGI even fear education and looking beyond one's own tea cup. Yet again reminds me of Mao and the Cultural Revolution.

SGI-guys out there just reading the messages in here I truly feel sorry for you. SGI really is pathetic.

I feel sorry for those members who are not AWOKE yet. There are many of us we just do not know who to trust. But I do not feel sorry for myself.

Date: June 26, 2010 02:34AM

Once in a big meeting Mr. McCloskey said he hated Thich Nhat Hanh. Hated was a strong word for me. I am reading his book. Old Path White Clouds suggested to me by my once Senior Leader. He said he wished we had our own SGI scholars. I thought we ran them away. Maybe the truth from said scholars was to revealing. Imagine telling members that some of the Gosho’s were not in Nichiren Holography. The fear or millions of members leaving in droves was just too much to handle. So they cover up and lie to us. Heh “Black Ops SGI” I wonder who the head spook is? Of course the President would not know any of this was going on. Sort of like the “Transformer movie. Section 7 which did not exist but did.” They would convene secret meetings in which only a handle full of rich powerful banker type SGI leaders would attend. Yea, that’s the ticket the New World Order- Bildenberg -Council on Foreign Relations group of SGI. You know Pres Ikeda did mention I believe in his peace proposal a New World Order. God help us all if we are the illuminati. Oop!s the Buddhist God help us all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.