Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 10, 2010 01:32AM

@SoniqueSc

you may study "joyfully" with your leaders, but when asked in the future - and this point will come, I sincerely hope that you won't say that you were not made aware of SGI's flaws, lies and shaddy character and yes that its NOT AT ALL an oranistaion of active humanitarian effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 01:34AM by Rothaus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Blue Lady ()
Date: June 10, 2010 01:56AM

ANYBODY READ THIS

http://books.google.com/books?id=hklCIp7auUsC&lpg=PA172&dq=NICHIREN%20DAISHONIN%20GOSHO&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q=NICHIREN%20DAISHONIN%20GOSHO&f=false
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="border:0px" src="[books.google.com]; width=500 height=500></iframe>

Date: June 10, 2010 02:11AM

Per this article SGI japan was pulling in 40 million in 1966 just from pubs?
Imagine what now. However my Chapter has dropped in pubs. Most members dont read them until District Meetings are not at all

[books.google.com]

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 10, 2010 02:42AM

quiet one

SGI has also donated to political campaigns in the U.S., something that tax exempt organizations are not allowed to do.

Who??

From page 58 of this thread:

From the Cult Awareness and Information Centre website www.culthelpinfo.org

Political bribery and violations of nonprofit organization regulations:

-------------------------------Beginning of quote---------------------------------------------

Everything Depends on Money"

Along with the Ikeda house, SGI-USA's political contributions have also become problematic in terms of tax laws. A number of local mass media offices report that the SGI-USA sent large political contributions to the mayor of Los Angeles.
As stated in the Los Angeles Times (paraphrased), despite the fact that as a tax exempt religious organization they are prohibited from making political contributions, Nichiren Shoshu of America (NSA)...in 1985 and 1986 twice gave Mr. Bradley (Editor's note: The former L.A. mayor from 1973-93) a total of $16,700 for his election fund. This is made clear by any number of articles. (11/17/91 Los Angeles Times)

(Translator's note: This is a translation of the Japanese, and is not a verbatim quote directly from the Los Angeles Times.)

Former SGI-USA Vice Headquarters Chief Thomas McCord (50), who left the organization in 1992, says, "Political contributions have become a problem within NSA as well. In 1986, Mayor Tom Bradley attended the opening ceremony for the World Peace Ikeda Auditorium and sat shoulder to shoulder with Ikeda. I had doubts about it, thinking, 'Mayor Bradley has no faith. Why is he here?' Later a member discovered a copy of a personal check which NSA had hurriedly sent to the mayor. This became a problem. As may be expected, they had many political problems, such as trouble over buying the land for the site of the Los Angeles branch of Soka University. The aim of the political contributions was to receive accommodations over these problems."

Mr. Steve Gore has very interesting testimony about political contributions. "It was the end of 1971, Christmas night, I think. Williams and I visited the municipal mansion of Mayor Sam Yoty with a political contribution. The purpose was to request that Ikeda receive the title of Honorary Citizen and to request approval for a planned parade down Wilshire Boulevard, a principal city street, when NSA held its nation-wide general meeting in April the following year. I waited outside the room, but when Williams came out, he laughed, saying, 'Steve, it's OK. Everything depends on money.' The impression I received from that remains with me."
---------------------------End of quote-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: June 10, 2010 07:02AM

tsukimoto
Along with the Ikeda house, SGI-USA's political contributions have also become problematic in terms of tax laws. A number of local mass media offices report that the SGI-USA sent large political contributions to the mayor of Los Angeles.
As stated in the Los Angeles Times (paraphrased), despite the fact that as a tax exempt religious organization they are prohibited from making political contributions, Nichiren Shoshu of America (NSA)...in 1985 and 1986 twice gave Mr. Bradley (Editor's note: The former L.A. mayor from 1973-93) a total of $16,700 for his election fund. This is made clear by any number of articles. (11/17/91 Los Angeles Times)

(Translator's note: This is a translation of the Japanese, and is not a verbatim quote directly from the Los Angeles Times.)

Former SGI-USA Vice Headquarters Chief Thomas McCord (50), who left the organization in 1992, says, "Political contributions have become a problem within NSA as well. In 1986, Mayor Tom Bradley attended the opening ceremony for the World Peace Ikeda Auditorium and sat shoulder to shoulder with Ikeda. I had doubts about it, thinking, 'Mayor Bradley has no faith. Why is he here?' Later a member discovered a copy of a personal check which NSA had hurriedly sent to the mayor. This became a problem. As may be expected, they had many political problems, such as trouble over buying the land for the site of the Los Angeles branch of Soka University. The aim of the political contributions was to receive accommodations over these problems."

Mr. Steve Gore has very interesting testimony about political contributions. "It was the end of 1971, Christmas night, I think. Williams and I visited the municipal mansion of Mayor Sam Yoty with a political contribution. The purpose was to request that Ikeda receive the title of Honorary Citizen and to request approval for a planned parade down Wilshire Boulevard, a principal city street, when NSA held its nation-wide general meeting in April the following year. I waited outside the room, but when Williams came out, he laughed, saying, 'Steve, it's OK. Everything depends on money.' The impression I received from that remains with me."
---------------------------End of quote-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting that SGI gave both to Yorty and Bradley. As I recall, they were rivals. Sam Yorty was a 4-term Republican mayor (according to my memory) who had lost popularity when Tom Bradley came along. Los Angeles was a mess, and the democratic candidate easily won. Los Angeles thrived under Bradley's watch. I went to a few SGI activities that Bradley attended. He was supposedly personal friends with Mr. Williams and a wildly popular mayor. At the Hawaii convention, when he was introduced, the L.A. members went crazy. (It was rumored that he had a Gohonzon--don't know if that rumor had any validity!) From the Cult Awareness and Information website that tsukimoto quoted, it sounds like SGI/NSA gave money to both Yorty and Bradley not to promote their politics, but for SGI's own personal gain.

Posted by: wakatta1 ()
Date: June 10, 2010 07:23AM

@SoniqueSC

Anyway, I've really come to the conclusion that I'm on a path that is leading to somewhere good. I'm growing in confidence, so I'm doing something that I think is working for me. My doubts have been alleviated (not to say I have answers to all the great points raised here). Maybe I will get whacked down the road and find myself on this forum as a former member. I'll do my best to have a beginners mind (open eyes and open mind). Either way, I appreciate having such a great forum to openly discuss doubts.

We're glad you stopped by to visit.

When I read your first post some of your wording seemed strange, it seemed as though you were writing to a different audience altogether, other than those normally here (but only you know who you were ultimately speaking to), and now I see surprisingly that you have found all the answers you need and are happily (joyfully!) returning to Sensei's waiting arms.

As others have said much better than I, you are more than welcome to continue here with your "value-filled dialogue" with us, but if you do I would invest a little more time reading the back issues of this forum and this thread in particular before I came to the conclusion I understood completely what it is all about.

Good luck!

Wakatta

Posted by: Morgaine ()
Date: June 10, 2010 06:22PM

Hi all,

How is it possible that in the space of only a few years, the SGI went from having no money to taking in $40 million in 1960??? That seems very strange to me. just a few years earlier they were broke. I wonder if they got money from other sources than just the pubs?? Does anybody know???

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: June 10, 2010 08:35PM

SoniqueSc
Sorry for the slow response. Don't you hate it when work gets in the way of good spiritual chats :P

I've seen the phrase "SGI Priesthood" a few times in this forum. I have run into SGI who do get preachy and treat members poorly if they don't do activities. I've also run into members and leaders who think they know everything and tell me about how things were in the 1960's. Kind of like puritains under a different name. Not to say that the 1960's are inherently good or bad. I love sharing thoughts and experiences. I am reminded of the common metaphor of the cup being too full to accept more tea.

I'd guess it's all about people. If people make our interaction joyful and hope filled, then wonderful things happen. If people (especially leaders) fail to see the law of cause and effect in their lives, then there will be suffering. (BTW: I'm not saying anyone on this forum is arrogant; I'm thinking that many of you have been hurt by arrogant leaders who forgot that leadership is about caring for members as opposed to thinking the members owe you something). I find myself studying side by side with leaders. Sharing insights and dialog (back and forth communication on equal footing with the goal of sharing as opposed to defeating each other).

One great point made by a few of you including Quiet one is that many people experience benefits while practicing many ways of life. I've know SGI who practice for 30 years and seem to be miserable, and I know people of many other faiths who have great warmth and humanity. I'd guess there's many ways to live your life in line with the Lotus Sutra.

I came up with this metaphor. There are many roads that lead into Los Angeles. One could be on any of those roads and get there. However, not all roads lead to LA. You could even be on the right road going the wrong way. Some people may need to take a boat or airplane, while some may be close (or athletic) enough to walk. I'd guess I'm saying there are many ways to reach enlightenment. There are ways that won't work, but there are multiple ways that will.

Anyway, I've really come to the conclusion that I'm on a path that is leading to somewhere good. I'm growing in confidence, so I'm doing something that I think is working for me. My doubts have been alleviated (not to say I have answers to all the great points raised here). Maybe I will get whacked down the road and find myself on this forum as a former member. I'll do my best to have a beginners mind (open eyes and open mind). Either way, I appreciate having such a great forum to openly discuss doubts.

Good luck to all of you!!!! Nam Myoho Renge Kyo (or Namu Myoho Renge Kyo for those purists out there...I find the 6/8 rhythm works so nicely for me).

Dear Sonique:

Sweet and smiley all the way to hell it is stated. You ooze disingenousness and nearly nothing you say jives with the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren Daishonin. Surely you are an SGI plant, a buttercup, perhaps?
The Nirvana Sutra teaches to be very careful around the most beautiful flowerbed because therein lives the deadliest of snakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 08:36PM by Nichijew.

Date: June 10, 2010 09:13PM

this is the what I rec'd in my email yesterday. The big kahuna is visiting to beat us over our heads

The benefit that accrues from making contributions is clearly spelled out in the Gosho. If we were to contribute to kosen-rufu just as the Gosho teaches and then failed to receive actual proof, then Buddhism would be false. The Gohonzon has tremendous power. I'm sure you are all well aware of that through your own experiences in faith until now. Confident of the good fortune we are attaining, let us continue to advance joyfully, harmoniously and in high spirits toward our next goal, bracing ourselves for the struggle ahead" (NHR, Vol. 10, pg. 171-72)

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 11, 2010 12:01AM

SoniqueSc

Please do not get me wrong. I do not know what has become of dialogue in SGI these days, but this, your, comment shows clear signs of a monologue. You may strive forward side by side with your leaders but when the crude awakening for you and SGI will come … probably after the passing of Mr. Ikeda, please do not state that you did not know or were unaware. Closing eyes to wrongs and evil is just the same as committing them --- people have been hurt in this cult on various levels negating their existence or downplaying them is just as bad as if you hurt those people yourself. Everyone who happily goes along with the party line IS responsible for what happened, is going on and for what will occur in the future.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.