Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 05, 2010 04:17AM

Nichijew
Others here attempt to awaken you from the perspective of common sense and the ways of the world. I will attempt to awaken you from the perspective of the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren Daishonin.

Sorry this comes across nothing else but arrogant. Since this forum is also dedicated to friends and family of those who are in SGI, some in here may just try to keep the language simple. Even though I still practise I refrain form trying to convince anybody of any 'true way'.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 05, 2010 04:58PM

On Page 19 I once translated a list published by the DBU a German Buddhist umbrella organisation (SGI is not part of it and I have severe doubts they will be ever allowed to join).
The list is a check list on unhealthy structures within Buddhist groups or groups that proclaim to be Buddhist. Interestingly enough its a list of questions, the word 'cult' never being used. Answering the questions one has to decide if the answer is an indication for an unhealthy structure. Personally I believe the list was directed towards some groups who proclaim to represent Tibetan Buddhism – here in Europe some of them have clearly cult like structures – which obviously can cast a bad light on those practising real Tibetan Buddhism. Never the less I noticed some striking similarities to you know who. I typed those points bold which I found that reminded me of a certain group I am familiar with.

- What is my motivation on my path?
- What fascinates me about Buddhism?
- Do stories about holy men or the promise of holiness impress me?
- What role does the need for a feeling of security, affirmation and approval
play in my life?
- Do I have the impression that I can leave the group as easily as I joined it?
- Am I given the opportunity to keep up my contacts outside of the group?
- Am I allowed to voice criticism without being discriminated for doing so?
- Are within the group the teachings of the Buddha or the teachers themselves
in the centre of attention?

- Are the teachers qualified by the means of a thorough study of Buddhist
teachings and own experience?

- Are the teachers trying to live according to the teachings of the Buddha?
- Are the teachers and their respective groups embedded in their own Buddhist
tradition/school?

- Is there an exchange with other groups and traditions?
- Is there an authentication by other approved teachers?
- Are dependencies created by the teacher/disciple relationship?
- What role do titles, authority and "career opportunity" play in your group?
- Is there financial transparency within the organisation?
- Is munificence being taken advantage of?
- Have I become financially depended?
- Have I donated exceeding my financial abilities? Have I run into debts
because of that? Have others in the group done so?

- Are aggressive methods being used either for recruitment or appeal for funds?
- Is my man power being exploited?
- Are sexual relationships being encouraged that have an unhealthy effect?
- Is coercion and /or force being used against me or other members of the
group?
- Are occurring feelings of guilt exploited , amplified or is there help to get
rid of them?

- Is there defamation, misinformation, or depreciation of critics, different
opinions or of other groups, teachers or other traditions/schools?

- Are other teachers, ways of practice being mentioned in an appreciated
manner?

- Am I being encouraged to develop personal responsibility and self esteem?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 05:06PM by Rothaus.

Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: June 05, 2010 07:55PM

Hi Rothaus,

Thats an excellent list of points, I think it could be applied it to any kind deception/exploitation realtionship - husband and wife, business, crime.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to bold these points too:

- What is my motivation on my path?
- What role does the need for a feeling of security, affirmation and approval
play in my life?
- Do I have the impression that I can leave the group as easily as I joined it?
- Are the teachers trying to live according to the teachings of the Buddha?
- Is my man power being exploited?

- Am I being encouraged to develop personal responsibility and self esteem?

Not while you're too busy "protecting the mentor who's teachings enable all people to attain enlightenment."

Don't worry if you get killed while protecting the mentor by the way, by the time you are reincarnated in 50 years or so, 99% of the world's population will be SGI, courageous pioneer members will be venturing deep into the jungles and rain forests of the world looking for the last tribal people who have not yet heard the Good Words of Ikeda.
In every City around the world a white marble statue of Ikeda will stand in a prominent and proud position. There will be a gold plated plinth at the foot of the statue (donated by the grateful SGI members) which states: "Daisaku Ikeda, expounder of the true practice for obtaining enlightenment in the latter, latter day of the law."
There will be no danger of the people in this saha world being dragged to the hell of incessant suffering by the incorrect teachings of Shakyamuni and Nichiren, who expounded teachings for people in the past which are no longer of use in the latter, latter day of the law. All of those corrupted teachings will have been hidden away to ensure no one is ever taken from the correct path of SGI.
The Human/New Human Revolution will be required reading in schools for 8 - 12 years olds, to ensure that our young people are deeply aware of the greatness of our mentor and can quickly take him into their hearts. How much fortune and benefit would our older generations have received had they been introduced to the mentor's wisdom and greatness while still forming their views of the world.
There will be no requirement for interfaith schools or other religious practices. In 2012 President Ikeda revealed the truth in his treatise, "On Establishing the Correct Teaching for The Peace of The Land In The Latter, Latter Day of The Law" all other religious leaders were finally able to awaken to the true nature of all phenomenon and became disciples of President Ikeda. President Ikeda's wisdom and compassion was so great that he was even able to shakabuku The Pope, The Dalai Lama, Rupert Murdoch and the ghost of L. Ron Hubbard.

So, with this shining future ahead of us, lets all take President Ikeda into our hearts and strive forward every day!

(Sorry, I've been very dry and serious on here for too long, sometimes the poisonous satire just has to come out.)

Posted by: DrJesusEsq ()
Date: June 06, 2010 05:22AM

Q:What is Daisaku Ikeda's favorite song when he goes out for karaoke?

A: Forever me!

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: June 06, 2010 10:41AM

Hey David...

Minutes of the SGI Top Salaried Senior Leader New Year's Board Meeting

Board Members, sitting around a large brass table with marble legs:

Present: Daisaku Ikeda, Hiromasa Ikeda, Minoru Hirada, Itchy Wada, Nobutaka Kumagai, Koji Shinohara, Toshinori Iwazumi, Archibald E. Asawa

Quorum present? Yes

Others Present:

Exec. USA Director: Danny Nagashima, Chang Dong Huang, Arnold Kawasaki

Proceedings:
· Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chair, Hiromasa Ikeda
· (Last month's) meeting minutes were amended and approved

· Chief Executive's Report: "It was recommend by our wonderful and compassionate mentor for life, our dear President Ikeda that if we are not able to find an increase in revenues by 15% this year, some drastic changes will be made and neither you nor the members will be happy. This is the guidance given to me by Sensei. He also taught me the meaning of total victory. Then regarding our plains for Kyushu and East Asia...

Daisaku Ikeda interupts:"If you can't get a across a moat ten feet wide, how the hell are you going to earn the huge bonuses that my son promised you for 2010?'

Chief Executive: "That right, just yester......"

Daisaku Ikeda again interrupts: "We just spent seventy five million refurbishing the Headquarters and International Culture building as well as your offices. Who do you think is going to pay for it, me and Hiromasu? Right, your members. Banging on the brass and marble table, "If you can't lift this table, you weaklings, I will find someone who can, right Hiromasu?

Hiromasu Ikeda: "Yes father"

Chief Executive: "Lets hear a report about Soka University of America from Arnold Kawasaki."

Arnold Kawasaki: "We are doing tremendously, total, absolute, complete, victory. We have increased our enrollment by 75% from 474 to 927 students and we only lost 96 million dollars last year but our holdings and endowment from SGI North and South American members donations increased by 430% and the university and its land holdings is now worth an estimated 1.34 billion dollars up from one billion dollars.'

Daisaku Ikeda interupts, again banging on the desk while shouting in English "GRRREEAAT GRRREEAAT": "Arnold is a model for all of you and he's only 55 years old, practically a youth division member."

Arnold: "HAI. We are also working very hard creating the illusion that we are non-denominational with the ex Mayor of Los Angeles Tom Bradley, now on our board of directors along with Rick Warren . Sensei is the most wonderful Sensei in the whole entire world."

Daisaku Ikeda: "Rick Wallen? Who is he?"

Arnold Kawasaki: "He is gleat leader of the evangelical Christian movement in America. He is great fundraiser and is looked upon by millions of Christians as a model of faith. We got him cheap, for $1,800,000.00 ."

Everyone: "Ah So!!! Excellent, Excellent", as their long broad tongues reached up to the heaven of Aizen Myo, the SGI patron saint of money laundering.

Itchy Wada: "Sensei has organized a fantastic week for us at our nature and culture center in Palau, don't bring your wives, if you know what I mean but you have to show Sensei the deepest consideration and work very hard to increase our revenues, what do you say?"

Everyone in unison, "HAI, HAI, Thank You Sensei, HAI HAI"

Daisaku Ikeda: 'As you all know, my health hasn't been up to snuff lately, so Hiramasu will be taking over many of my responsibilities, particularly dolling out the cash and traveling here and there to pick up my awards. You must support and protect him". Seeing Danny Nagashima sleeping from jet lag, Ikeda shouts, "RIGHT DANNY BOY" as

Danny snaps to attention.

Daisaku Ikeda: Danny, please tell us how the Rock the Era for Sensei movement is progressing. Without a new influx of brainwas... uh, uhh, highly motivated youth, how are we going to increase revenues by 15%?"

Danny Nagashima, again half asleep: "Lock the Elah is going GLATE,", clearing his throat and again snapping to attention, ROCK THE ERA IS GOING GREAT. We got this Clown, Philip Brett going to sing his famous song Seeds for Sensei [actually named You Are All That You Need but he couldn't tell that to Sensei] and Vanissa Shaw is looking hot!"

Everyone nods in agreement.

Danny Nagashima: "But I don't know about that weasal Nathan Gauer, Danny Hall and especially Ian MCailraith. Danny and Ian are complainingg about their $50,000 bonuses and Nathan is wondering when he will become salaried. I don't know if they are completely on board?"

Daisaku Ikeda red in the face and shouting, "MAHALLLOOO, MAHHHAAALLLOOOOO" [Fools, Fools]

Hiramosu Ikeda: "Take it easy father, you know your pressure and heart..."

Daisaku Ikeda: "SHUT UP, you think Nichiren Daishonin worried about his blood pressure and heart, you are all Mahaloo, except for Arnold over here, come Arnold, lets go out for Soba noodles and leave these fools here to deeply reflect on the next Zaimu Campaign. You got that secretary, I want this a part of the minutes, don't miss a word, no one is going to see them anyway but I like to review them before the next meeting." Ikeda walks out with Arnold...

Other Topics [Led by Mr Hirada]: "Sasaki asserts that our organization must ensure its name is associated with the Victory Over Violence, most people make absolutely no connection. Too many gaijin have their hands in the pot. Wherever you have such an exhibit make sure Sensei's posters are prominently displayed. Also Simon Weisanthal is giving us a hard time. You Archie (Asawa) bring him another million, you know how greedy they are those green eyed devils."

'The Nichiren Shoshu, especially Nichimyo is also starting trouble. He changed their doctrine, declaring that their members are indeed Bodhisattvas of the Earth, rather than followers of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth. See if you can throw a monkey wrench into their plans Kumagai, money is no object. We already lost six senior leaders in Taiwan, three in the Phillipines, and one in the United States thanks to their machinations."

"On the Gohonzon question, we have just got to get a Nichiren inscribed Gohonzon. That heretic Tsuchiya over there in Kyoto has the members all up in arms about the lousy Nichikan Gohonzon. Trouble is, he is uncorruptable. What do you think? Should we crush Tsuchiya like a bug or should we start to phase out the Nichikan Gohonzon. I think, even the pioneers would prefer a Nichiren Gohonzon, there are tons of them on the net. We don't even need one of our own. How that bug Tsuchiya and his shitty little sect held on to three of them [Nichiren Gohonzon] I can't understand for the life of me. We offered their chief priest forty eight million dollars for one. Don't get me started."

"The organization should generate revenues where possible from the bosses books and thanks to Lavorra Perry creating those cartoons for Sensei, we have a giant stream of revenue. I think we should make her a Zone Chief. Linda Johnson is becoming quite a liability. We should express our sympathy and support for her outwardly because she could make some problems for us. Lets keep her busy with our legal matters and ask Matilda Buck to give the gaijin our guidances."

"Shinohara explained that consultant, Wacky Nobu, reviewed the organization's accounting procedures and found them to be satisfactory, in preparation for the upcoming yearly financial audit. One book for the Japanese, one book for the Americans, and the real book for Sensei. Nobu recommends that we ensure the auditor provides a management letter along with the audit financial report and of course we will need three originals."

"Shinohara also reviewed highlights, trends and issues from the balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement. Issues include that high accounts receivables require Finance Committee attention to policies and procedures to ensure our organization receives more donations on time. After brief discussion of the issues and suggestions about how to ensure receiving the donations on time MOTION to accept financial statements; seconded and passed."

'Shinohara also presented members with a draft of the reworded By-laws paragraph that would mandate members conduct actions only face to face so neither a paper nor electronic trail is ever maintained. He suggested review and a resolution to change the By-laws accordingly. Iwazumi suggested we immediately notify each and every Zone Chief of these proposals before the next Board meeting.'

Hirada Interrupts: "We must also cut the legal and accounting costs by 10%, at least by sixty seven million dollars and our TV and advertising expenditures are to rise by forty eight million dollars, according to Sensei. We must make this happen. Total victory for Sensei!"

Hiromasu Ikeda: "Total Victory for Sensei! Thank you Mr Hirada, I motion to close the meeting."

Seconded unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Secretary, Ikegami.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 10:53AM by Nichijew.

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: June 06, 2010 11:46AM

I have no doubt that SGI misrepresents "earthly desires are enlightenment." Even a superficial review of Buddhism(or any world religion) NEVER suggests that using a religious practice for material gain of any sort is a wise thing. In fact, it would be deluded since things are impermanent. Perhaps this is why SGI and P.Ikeda never dialogue with other Buddhist leaders in any meaningful way. Oh the spectacle that would be! I just re-read the gosho "Earthly Desires are Enlightenment." It's actually pretty vague and pretty short in explaining what ND meant. There's certainly not enough there to build an argument that chanting will get you what you want. True, he appears to acknowledge a relationship between desires and enlightenment BUT he resorts to numerous allusions that go unexplained. Therefore it's safer to look at his own example of "attaching" himself to the law only. Furthermore, the recipients of these letters including Shijo Kingo tended to be currently facing difficult circumstances brought on by hateful/deluded people in their environment or by the illness or death of a child or husband etc. The Daishonin attempted to offer encouragement, solace, wisdom--just as any priest of then or now would do. To my knowledge the Daishonin was not telling all his followers to go and get stuff or become somebody to show proof of his religion. It's safer to say he was trying to show them how to overcome the suffering brought on by their karma. I know SGI would like to believe that people eventually become more altruistic after having gotten stuff but it is not true. Their version of altruism is not helping people in some substantive way. It's about introducing new members. I never hear about members who stop chanting for stuff and suddenly go out to do things to combat the countless forms of suffering: disease, illiteracy, exploitation, and oppression the world has to offer--and no, I don't mean by trying to get the locals to chant and hear about P. Ikeda. Look, I am not holding SGI members to a higher standard than everyone else. After all most people are self-interested. Most people are not versed in the intricacies of other faiths but SGI has consistently presented itself as some miraculous world peace movement based on the only true form of Buddhism with the amazing mentor at the helm. So people who start out chanting for cars and rich boyfriends will suddenly become noble, selfless, and unattached? Hm.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: June 06, 2010 12:51PM

Hm, indeed

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 08, 2010 06:45AM

This is from a website called "Endless Further," June 5. www.buddhajones.com also had a link to this website. The writer did not specifically mention SGI...but a lot of the article applies.

----------------------------------------Beginning of Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------

[theendlessfurther.com]

Just as in any other religion or spiritual practice, Buddhism has its share of questionable teachers and leaders. Following such a person can be very dangerous. People have been exploited and abused financially, sexually and otherwise.

The first clue in spotting a questionable teacher is this: An enlightened person will never tell you that they are enlightened. As soon as you hear someone claim to be enlightened, or that they have attained a high level of realization, or you suspect that they believe themselves to be enlightened, run for the hills.
Someone who is “enlightened” understands that there is no end game, only the Endless Further. There is no enlightenment, only enlightening – the continuing process of becoming awakened.  There is no state of being that one arrives at and can say, “This is it. I’ve arrived. I’ve got it.” In this sense there is no such thing as an enlightened person, only individuals who are further along than the rest of us.

An “enlightened” person understands that it doesn’t matter if you think they are enlightened or not. You are either going to get what they are teaching or you won’t. It has more to do with your progress along the path, than theirs.

When you look upon teachers in that way it is very easy to put them on a pedestal, to idolize or worship them. You might be tempted to want to build monuments to them or name places after them. “Enlightened” people do not care about stuff like that.

Enlightened people have no ego. Or, perhaps it’s better to say that their ego is in check. They don’t have to tell how great they are because they don’t see themselves as great.

It is very easy to be led astray by a charismatic teacher. They usually have an agenda. They believe that the end justifies the means. Since they are a living Buddha, they may expect you to ignore your own sense of ethics and integrity in order to help promote them and their teachings.  It’s okay if you engage in unethical behavior, you’re serving a greater cause – them.

Sometimes people select a dharma-teacher or choose a particular tradition during a very low period in their personal life. When that happens, when someone chooses a person or a tradition because they have a need to lean on someone or they lack confidence or self-esteem, then there is a real vulnerability for abuse and when that dependence is placed on someone, given that you are not really able to use the critical facility, then there is scope for abuse and disappointment.

As I say to members of the media, that they should have as long noses as possible, sort of sniffing around and also this is true for the students-you should be able to sniff around so that you can see from both the front and the back. Sometimes what happens is that things may look very impressive from the front, but from the back they may be sort of empty, just hollow.

Never suspend your own good judgment. If you have a gut feeling that something is wrong, it very likely is. Don’t follow people who claim to be enlightened, or who seem enamored of their own achievements. They are phonies. Fakes. Charlatans. Don’t believe anyone who tells you that the end justifies the means. It doesn’t. The Buddha never taught such a thing and it has no place in Buddhism.
------------------------------------------End of Quote-----------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: June 08, 2010 01:15PM

Interesting article, tsukimoto.

"Sometimes people select a dharma-teacher or choose a particular tradition during a very low period in their personal life. When that happens, when someone chooses a person or a tradition because they have a need to lean on someone or they lack confidence or self-esteem, then there is a real vulnerability for abuse and when that dependence is placed on someone, given that you are not really able to use the critical facility, then there is scope for abuse and disappointment."

I'm sure that this is true. Many of us, myself included, were facing a crisis, a serious problem, or a low point in life. I look back on when I got "shakabuked" and feel that I was so vulnerable. A real good target for them. Anyone else feel that way?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 01:17PM by quiet one.

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: June 08, 2010 01:35PM

In last months kosen rufu video, Mr, Ikeda said something about his mentor Josei Toda knowing 'how amazing he(Ikeda) was'. No one in the viewing audience flinched when Ikeda said this, (or clapped or visibly reacted at all). This stuff just washes over people. I wished I had made an audible laugh or critical comment . That is how conditioned we are to not upset the apple cart. You can't confront an entire group with disapproval. i observed and let it go.
I found an old World Tribune with a photograph where young men were dressed in tight matching outfits coming out of a smoking rocket at some big convention. It looked ridiculous. It must have been a mind control test. "If we can get them to do these ridiculous shenanagins we still have them in our power". Were these displays tests of SGI/NSA's control over group mind? "Okay, they did the rocket thing with great enthusiasm, everything is copacetic".
I hate to say it, but at times I feel all my cynicism and disapproval of SGI could turn around after some venting. Maybe they would let me find a comfortable place back in the big ORG along with the now accepted homosexuals, (because they need the numbers and appearance of good will toward all men and women).
There was such an addictive quality to it, like snorting enough coke before going to the discoteque to be socially acceptable, but it wasn't just the disco, you had to be daimoku-ready for that call from a member at any time!
The scary thing is, I could imagine deciding to chant for an hour and then cursing at the devil of the sixth heaven and and pleading to the puffy face of Ikeda to take me as his disciple. Now that I write this...nah. This is definite cult mind control!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 01:37PM by rattyboy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.