Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 03, 2010 01:23PM

Wow must say very good responses to SoniqueSc. If I seem to forget certain issues its because they were already mentioned by you guys,
The mentor/disciple principle, beside being a personal one, is not a concept that can be ordered to follow. Anyone who denies that there is no pressure in SGI to regard Mr. Ikeda as his/her mentor is a liar. The concept started to be pushed down peoples throats more intensively form the mid 90's onward. The more the concept was mentioned the more the quality and quantity of Buddhist study deteriorated.
Regarding the priesthood:
I joined a few years before the split. In retrospect I can not recall that any of us were given a chance to hear the other side – the priests version. After having done a lot of reading and research from all kinds of sources I can not say that I am particularly fond of the Taiseki-ji school hence Nichiren Shoshu. I do however feel that Nichiren Shoshu had no other choice than to exclude SGI. It was a power struggle between two ageing men. Sad enough that their respective pack followed them blindly, Nichiren Shoshu was always clear, even in Todas days, who the 'boss' is . So if one chooses to join a certain Buddhist school one should be aware of its basic nature and 'rules'. Its almost inevitable that one might find certain aspects challenging but one would just try to go along with a compromise as long one can agree to the overall ideas. SGI and Mr. Ikeda however challenged the basic idea and concept behind Nichiren Shoshu, which as should be mentioned was constructed by Nichikan. It was Nichikan who cemented the position of the high priest.
So in the end Nichiren Shoshu, even though I do not agree with them on a doctrinal level, had no other choice than to excommunicate SGI. SGI also was quite good in not telling people that they were still members of Nichiren Shoshu, as in the beginning it was just Mr. Ikeda, some high ranking leaders and the organisation that were excluded form Taiseki-ji. It wasn't until 1997 that all in SGI were banned form Nichiren Shoshu,
Also it most be noted that I was shocked which foul methods and language SGI used against the temple members. A high leader here compared them to a cancer. Now to strip someone of what makes him human by comparing him to disease is distasteful and lacks the very basic Buddhist attitude.
And now, when its clear that the two groups will never ever rejoin, now all of a sudden there are rumours in SGI that the Dai Gohonzon might be a fake. Surprise, surprise this has always been challenged by other Nichiren schools ever since Nichiren Shoshu claimed to posses such an object. If one would have said that a couple of years back (and so have I) one was shunned.

One further piece of advice to SoniqueSc and GwT ... start reading on page one of this forum and you will become aware of the issues alerady having been raised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2010 01:28PM by Rothaus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 03, 2010 02:13PM

SoniqueSc
That's why I like the mentor/disciple relationship. Walking side by side, each learning from the other and growing through their dialog. I like the idea that we all work together and study together. No leader is "better".

I do not know where in SGI-land you are, but this is nothing else but a myth. There are those in SGI who are better then the rest and to once challenge what a leader said can bring you in hot water - big time. Please follow the threads of the story about my personal SGI-hero Byrd.
From a certain angle the high ranking leaders as a matter of fact do function like a priesthood anyway with Mr. Ikeda being the high priest. For a lay organisation, and they proudly underline being a lay organistaion, SGI lacks what even most main stream Christian congregations have - basic democratic elements.
This SGI priesthood lacks one thing though --- they are not versed in Buddhist studies at all and it does not seem to be an entry requirement when entering the SGI priesthood.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2010 02:24PM by Rothaus.

Date: June 03, 2010 02:39PM

I came across an interesting thread in the SGI yahoo group. One participant of this Yahoo group said:

“In the "Seize the Day" Section of the May 28 World Tribune the following were
written:

In the article regarding the YMD flag,

"The shield represents the vow one makes to protect the mentor, whose teachings
enable all people to attain enlightenment."

So now it is Mr Ikeda's teachings and not Shakyamuni's or Nichiren's teachings
that enable one to attain enlightenment. “

Interesting stuff .. a YMD-flag … good grief. Seems more and more people get uncomfortable now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2010 02:42PM by Rothaus.

Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: June 03, 2010 02:53PM

Rothaus
I came across an interesting thread in the SGI yahoo group. One participant of this Yahoo group said:

“In the "Seize the Day" Section of the May 28 World Tribune the following were
written:

that enable one to attain enlightenment. “

Interesting stuff .. a YMD-flag … good grief. Seems more and more people get uncomfortable now.

Woah, is that from May 28 this year?

Date: June 03, 2010 03:00PM

Hi David, Yeap seems so just read the posts in that group as they are public anyway,

Scary stuff big time is it not? Interestingly enough more and more seem to leave --- SGI = Cult. Clearer than ever before.

Date: June 03, 2010 03:05PM

This is the whole quoted message, The topic being Nichiren Buddhism or Ikeda Buddhism?:

In the "Seize the Day" Section of the May 28 World Tribune the following were
written:

that enable one to attain enlightenment.

And

"With this flag, the young men of the SGI-USA vow to always return to the rich
soil of our mentor President Ikeda's eternal teachings..."

In the article regarding the YWD flag, "...the American Lotus represents our vow
as SGI-USA young women to enable Buddhist humanism to blossom in America, and to
reveal the greatness of our mentor, President Ikeda, to the entire world."

Nothing wrong with Buddhist humanism blossoming in America, but revealing "the
greatness of our mentor, President Ikeda, to the entire world."

We used to be told to reveal the greatness of the Gohonzon. I guess things have
changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2010 03:17PM by Rothaus.

Posted by: TheVoid ()
Date: June 03, 2010 04:24PM

tsukimoto
Regarding Ikeda and the mentor/disciple relationship:

Members keep telling me that Ikeda has done so much for world peace. Ikeda has approved an exhibit comparing himself with Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. Please tell me what Ikeda has done that is comparable to either man? Gandhi and King put themselves in harm's way fighting for justice and equality -- and were killed for their principles. What has Ikeda done that is equivalent to that? He's a rich man who lives in luxury! Ikeda visited the United States in the 1960's. Surely he knew of Martin Luther King, but there is nothing on record to suggest that Ikeda said a word in favor of King at that time, when King was controversial -- even unpopular with many Americans. No, Ikeda didn't praise King until years later when the popular culture had made an icon of King.

King and Gandhi opposed the death penalty. Ikeda has never done so, despite Japan's heavy use of the death penalty. Japan has the highest rate of executions for first-world democracies, even executing mentally ill individuals who may not even understand the crime that they've been convicted of. Not a peep from SGI about this.

I saw this exhibition, well not really an exhibition but a brain wash video. I am sure at one point some guy being interviewed states the Ikeda is like a modern day Jesus Christ. I am sure this is true can any one else remember, if it is true. Jesus Christ!!!

Date: June 03, 2010 04:57PM

Sorry guys for posting that much (we have a holiday here today). But this Ikeda Buddhism stuff really does reveal that SGI is actually replacing Shakyamuni (do they still mention him at all nowadays?) and Nichiren with Ikeda. Did we not speculate on that a few dozen pages back in here?

Posted by: Morgaine ()
Date: June 03, 2010 06:10PM

Thing that get me the most is that none of my fellow members seems to notice the deviation, I had a BIG debate in the middle of a meeting about this, because I was stupid enough to ask the question. AT the next planning meeting all the members ganged up on me for being so hard on the central figure( a 30 plus year zone leader).

This is such slander of the Law the karmic effect will be awful.

Posted by: SoniqueSc ()
Date: June 04, 2010 01:50AM

Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm going to do my best to write detailed responses to each of your thoughtful posts.

Perhapse I should have clarified my position. I'm a current member with a lot of the same doubts mentioned here in this forum. I'm hoping to create value by having dialogs with those who are outside or on their way out. I'm not sure if what I believe is in line with SGI. I have experienced great benefits which I attribute to my practice, but I do have doubts. I'd guess I'm trying to reconcile the value with the doubts. If there is a better forum for this, I would love to be directed to it. I don't want to upset those who have suffered at the hands of SGI. If anything, I sincerely apologize for any wrong done by SGI or SGI members.

BTW: I definitely should rephrase my desire to communicate with Nichiren Soshu members. I just want to let everyone know that I'm eager to hear all sides (even those who may be completely opposed to my own view). Often SGI members are depicted as not wanting to hear other sides.

One quick note:
I actually have a couple members in my district who love to chant, etc, but have no interest in taking Ikeda as their mentor. A few members gasp when they speak at meetings, but I think it's wonderful for them to be honest about their feelings and explore spiritual questions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.