Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: February 09, 2010 10:41PM

tsukimoto, good point. I always felt that chanting made one's life head in the right direction. Chanting desperately for things just never seemed to get anywhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: February 10, 2010 06:23AM

DrJesusEsq

@Nichijew, Rothaus, and quiet one: I don't know how long ago you guys left the org. Since I joined in the year 2004 and recently left a few months ago, I think the SGI was in a really hazy phase of going from learning the traditional doctrine of Nichiren's teaching and going into the "humanistic" Ikedaism. Here's actually one reason why my depression and amplified and even turned to anger.

On one hand, at these meetings you hear these "experiences" of people having a certain problem and issue, they chant soooo many times in a day, at least for 2 hours, and then BOOM problem solved. They mostly say it is due to a change in circumstance, such as a boss gives them a raise so they can get their new car, a relative calls them up out of the blue and gives them money for education, or even an ex-partner writes them an email for no reason and wants to get back together with them. It's almost like saying if you chant, your luck changes.

And then, when I chant to improve all aspects of my life, obviously nothing changes. I ask the other members who have been in the practice longer than I have and they always tell me I am not taking the right action. Of course, when I ask them what's the point in chanting, that's when they give me some obtuse answer of infusing my Buddhahood with my ichinen and all that jazz. Yet, I still chanted for that "wisdom" that was supposed to open up.

That being said, it was a very confusing dichotomy. Actually since I stopped doing anything with SGI, at least I am depending on myself more to change my life and that has been improving.

I can identify with this. I guess I am lucky in that I didn't really have any major life problems for the first 3-4 years of being in SGI, had the usual life problems but nothing I couldn't handle. So I guess I turned a blind eye to all the things I saw as 'trivial', such as the increasing focus on Ikeda, mentor disciple, the increasing 'strictness' on exactly how you should practice (how the butsudan should be set up, what are acceptable accesories etc etc).

It was only once I did start having some deep issues with myself that I started waking up to all these little problems which grow into a huge problem whewn put together.

One thought for anyone in SGI or anyone who has issues with it: 'Why is it ok to have a picture of President Ikeda next to the gohonzon, but not a picture of Shakyamuni or Nichiren?'

Posted by: dragon14 ()
Date: February 10, 2010 10:52AM

Nichijew
Dear All:

I just listened to the February Men's Division audio encouragement. Tariq Hassan, SGI Men's Division leader was the next to last keynote speaker. He was incredulous that some regions and areas weren't showing Ikeda's videos at their sunday Kosen Rufu Prayer meetings, "I don't understand it", he said in derision. Then he went on to give an experience about home visiting the husband of a member. This man is one of the top executives of Citi Bank. Hassan was literally gushing praise [like a little dog sniffing the butt of a big dog's behind] of this mega rich fool. he stated to the effect, " The favorite activity of City Bank top executive is seeing President Ikeda's videos". No wonder the crook in City Bank is in awe of the billionaire Ikeda, the Soka Gakkai never loses money and doesn't have to pay even a dime in taxes. They do have one thing in common, getting rich off the little guys. At the same time, is there any doubt why Citi Bank lost so many billions and billions of dollars thanks to faulty investments? With heads of the company like this fellow, it was a matter of course.

Tariq Hassan also stated that you are not worthy of being a disciple of Sensei if you don't feel inspired to bring many people to see Sensei's videos.

Another Ikedabot stated that the prime point of the national meeting in Guam, "was the VERY large picture of Sensei placed in the middle of the room."

Literally, in the latest audio of the Men's Division meeting, among the five speakers, especially those of Tariq Hassan and the earlier speakers, "Sensei" and "President Ikeda" were mentioned many dozens of time and Nichiren Daishonin, once, if I remember correctly. Danny Nagashima quoted the Daishonin several times but the script was the same old, same old.

[www.sgimedia.net]

I was a YMD in Boston when the split occurred between the Gakkai and the priesthood. At that time, Tariq Hasan was either the Joint Territory YMD leader or the vice leader. We called him to get more information about the split, and he immediately tried to discourage us from asking questions. He said "why do you want to know about THAT?". I was the one making the call, and I was pretty flabbergasted that he was telling us not to ask questions. I lost respect for him right then. He was - and still is - tight with Danny Nagashima, who is even worse. IMO, appointing Nagashima as general director is just about the worst move that the SGI has made in the US.

Posted by: dragon14 ()
Date: February 10, 2010 10:57AM

SGBye
In the area where I used to practice, they would have the Ikeda video meetings twice a month at the kaikan. When the attendance level at both meetings started running low, they began showing the videos at kofu gongyo. I hated that because I would avoid the Ikeda videos on purpose, and it felt like they were luring us into kofu gongyo only to turn around and shove the Ikeda videos right down your throat. Bait and switch, SGI-style!

All of those Ikeda videos follow the same pattern:
1. Ikeda comes onstage with his arms stretched out in victory to a cheering crowd.
2. A choir or band performs some militaristic-sounding SGI song.
3. Ikeda receives an award from a foreign dignitary.
4. Ikeda babbles on and on about how some park in some country you never heard of was christened "Ikeda Peace Park," or how some road in some third world country was named "Toda Way."
5. Daimoku sansho (the long & over-indulgent 10-minute Ikeda version).

Worse still were the movies based on The Human Revolution. I hired someone I knew from the SGI at my company, and he started recruiting everyone in sight. I went with this guy and about five other people from our office to one of the showings. Those movies were so pathetic and preachy, I wanted to crawl under the chair.

I have no regrets about leaving, but I still have a lot of regrets about sinking so much valuable time in the Soka Cockeye.

Posted by: lthomas ()
Date: February 10, 2010 11:26AM

dragon 14 quote:
Worse still were the movies based on The Human Revolution. I hired someone I knew from the SGI at my company, and he started recruiting everyone in sight. I went with this guy and about five other people from our office to one of the showings. Those movies were so pathetic and preachy, I wanted to crawl under the chair.

I have no regrets about leaving, but I still have a lot of regrets about sinking so much valuable time in the Soka Cockeye.[/quote]

At some of the meetings the members were quite deceptive and also inappropriate to those that they tried to "Shakabuku". Once while during a Byakuren shift, this member at the community center who I'd never met before gave me his
his cell phone. I looked at him and ask him what was I supposed to do with this, when he replied, "say hi to my friend I've been trying to convince him to join the practice for years but maybe if he hears it from you then maybe he will come to a meeting". I was so embarrassed and told him that I could not talk during my shift. Another time was when a member was a friend of this girl. He introduced her to everyone at the community center but she was completely annoyed because he said that they were going someplace else and they ended up at the community center, in spite of the fact that she said she was not interested in going to any of the meetings. I did not introduce myself to the young lady because I felt so embarrassed. I could not believe that someone would stoop so low as to lie in order to introduce someone to Buddhism.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: February 10, 2010 01:16PM

One of more interesting experiences I had in the SGI towards the end was attending the "Orlando Bloom Meeting." A big meeting was held at a local convention center with Danny Nagashima, with performances, etc. At the end, Orlando Bloom came out onstage to everyone's surprise (including the behind-the-scenes people). Well, the whole room freaked out, and a swarm of young ladies rushed the stage with their cameras, screaming as though they were at a concert. After the dust settled, Bloom got down to business. He had recently gone to Japan and had a personal meeting with Ikeda - we all knew this because it was front page news in the World Tribune - and he had come to share how great "Sensei" is. It was quite an eye-rolling experience for me having to hear him gush about how much of an incredible person "Sensei" is and how fortunate he felt to have found such a great mentor in life.

But it got me thinking, "If I flew over to Japan, could I have a one-on-one meeting with Ikeda?" Of course not! I'm a nobody in Ikeda's eyes! At SGI meetings they constantly talk about how everyone is equal in the organization, and that no leaders are above any members. Using that logic, I should be able to just call Ikeda up and meet! The reality is that it would probably be easier for me to first work at becoming a world-famous actor who can influence millions of young people that I can bring into the SGI, then ask for the meeting, which would undoubtedly be granted to me at that point.

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: February 10, 2010 01:16PM

In regard to recent postings about Tariq Hassan, I have to say, being in the room with him when he told leaders: "And we know how if we miss gongyo the devils swoop in immediately". HELLO! There's some problem here! When I drive by fundamentalist Christian churches with their fire and brimstone style warnings, i don't laugh anymore. You put lots of time into committed ritual twice a day and be cursed if you 'backslide'; Remember 'backsliding'. And doing 'Part B' and the whole sutra over and over for 30 minutes. NOT including Daimoku. Congratulaions, escapees!
'Devils, my ass'. Thank you. i wish I could say this at a meeting.

Posted by: lthomas ()
Date: February 10, 2010 01:35PM

@SGBYE I remember hearing about that meeting. If I am not mistaken that was in or around 2006? Well anyways I never for one minute believe that everyone was considered equal regardless of if they were a leader or not. Especially in the beginning when, I first joined there was this group of girls who pretended to be my friends. Right before I got my Gohonzan they would pick me up for meetings and hang out with me but after I got it they would literally walk past me at meetings without so much as a hi. It was like being in High school. Excuse my french but I could not stand those bi---es!! I felt so hurt and deceived. How dare they act like they cared for me by asking me to come over to their homes to chant, asking me to go out dancing and even calling me up crying talking about they were struggling and needed someone to talk to. Then throughout the course of my four years in the organization would act like they knew me. There was always something like that going on, especially with the women. Also another thing that I found to be toxic within the organization was when one of the young women who pretended to be my friend (this was when I first started practicing and she invited me over to chant) had a hole in the wall above her gohonzan. Another member asked her what happened and she said that one of the members got angry because she had disrespected her gohonzan for the 3rd time by not removing a picture from above it!! It was a huge hole too. That was one of the early red flags that I used to ignore when I first joined, yet I remember thinking and knowing in my heart that if anyone ever disrespected my house like that, they would never be welcomed in my home again.

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: February 10, 2010 01:56PM

SGBye
One of more interesting experiences I had in the SGI towards the end was attending the "Orlando Bloom Meeting." A big meeting was held at a local convention center with Danny Nagashima, with performances, etc. At the end, Orlando Bloom came out onstage to everyone's surprise (including the behind-the-scenes people). Well, the whole room freaked out, and a swarm of young ladies rushed the stage with their cameras, screaming as though they were at a concert. After the dust settled, Bloom got down to business. He had recently gone to Japan and had a personal meeting with Ikeda - we all knew this because it was front page news in the World Tribune - and he had come to share how great "Sensei" is. It was quite an eye-rolling experience for me having to hear him gush about how much of an incredible person "Sensei" is and how fortunate he felt to have found such a great mentor in life.

But it got me thinking, "If I flew over to Japan, could I have a one-on-one meeting with Ikeda?" Of course not! I'm a nobody in Ikeda's eyes! At SGI meetings they constantly talk about how everyone is equal in the organization, and that no leaders are above any members. Using that logic, I should be able to just call Ikeda up and meet! The reality is that it would probably be easier for me to first work at becoming a world-famous actor who can influence millions of young people that I can bring into the SGI, then ask for the meeting, which would undoubtedly be granted to me at that point.

Was this the NYC ode to Ikeda meeting/Ikeda birthday bash (that only "professionals" could audition for)?

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: February 10, 2010 03:05PM

Ithomas & evergreen, my memory isn't so hot, but I could've sworn that Orlando Bloom meeting happened just last year, in 2009. In fact, I'm almost positive of it. And, no, it wasn't in NYC. This was one of those "General Meetings" that the SGI loves to have where regular members could all attend.

Ithomas, your experience also sounds very familiar to me. I can think of 4 members off the top of my head who just suddenly began ignoring me for absolutely no reason. There were also so many cliques in the youth division where I lived. If you didn't act a certain way and be all "rah-rah-rah!" about being in the SGI, they wanted nothing to do with you. Needless to say, I didn't make a whole lot of friends there. Actually, to be precise, I made none. But that's fine with me. Who wants to converse with people who are only going to steer the conversation back to the SGI each and every time anyway?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.