Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: meh ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:03AM

Thanks, simplify - I do remember reading that posting; I was curious as to what came from where. I did start from the beginning but did get daunted . . . even going through random pages, though, it has been enlightening indeed. I really have found the postings invaluable!

The number of postings is remarkable, and it certainly reinforces the idea that sgi is a full-blown cult rather than just a devoted group of loonies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: simplify ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:08AM

simplify
...... I think I posted a bit about what seems to have happened at Buckingham University (the only private university in the United Kingdom) a while back in this thread.....

Ok here is the post about Buckingham university, and Senseless's attempt to get academic credibility in England (where no other self-respecting University would touch him) - there are great replies from Anticult and Shavoy all on page 326.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
simplify
Date Added: 05/16/2011
For those of you with strong stomachs.

My district leader still sends me links to our UK SGI e-bulletin every fortnight. I clicked on it and wish I hadn't. But maybe you might enjoy trying to find if there is anything about Nichiren Buddhism in the bulletin. Here's the link.
[url=http:// [url]http://www.sgi-uk.info/2011/11/02/latest-e-bulletin-nov11-issue-01/[/url]][/url]

It seems to be all about 'Sensei' (surprise) including this wonderful quote "“Youth of Europe: Towards 2030, let’s show indisputable victories as disciples of President Ikeda. Do you agree?” (enthusiastic applause)."

By the way, one of the leading articles is about Ick-eda getting yet another honorary doctorate. The University of Buckingham is the only university in the UK that does not receive state funding from the government. I should imagine in these credit crunch days that all donations are being very gratefully received at this particular University. But glancing through the article on page 4 of the bulletin it looks worse than that.

It looks like Ikeda is getting a foothold in English academia. I don't like this at all. It all looks like a a very cosy arrangement. Ick-eda has given the vice-Chancellor of Buckingham University "the Award of Highest Honour of Soka University" (so they swapped bogus academic honours) and the article goes on to say:

"After this there was a formal signing of a memorandum of understanding of the dual degree that will start next year when five students from Soka University will undertake four years of study – two at each institution – which will culminate with them gaining a degree from each institution."

I note that two of the members from the delegation of Buckingham University are Mrs Anne Matsuoka and Mr Kazuo Tobisawa. Hmmmmm.

I doubt that they would get away with this sort of thing in the State Funded University system that all other UK universities are a part of. But this will legitimise Ick-eda even more - well done SGI PR department.

It is all very Icky and Gakky.

I'm wondering if it is worth writing to Prof. Kealy (vice Chancellor of Buckingham University) to ask him if he has researched the true nature of SGI? But maybe he's an Ikedabot too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 01:18AM by simplify.

Posted by: Sporatica ()
Date: June 26, 2013 05:08AM

@eyzopn

My primary goal is what to do with this gohonzon. I called the temple and they said that a local member would call me and arrange for pickup. I thought for sure I would be swamped with calls. So far... nothing. I am not of the mindset to drive out to Hollywood to return it.

My mom still wants to look into the NST. I've shared with her all that I have read about the cult of SGI. Her response has been, "NST is not SGI." As I stated, I liked the way I felt chanting. It quiets my mind. but I don't like being pressured for my money or my time - and I'm not the most disciplined person in my daily life. I can't honestly say that I'm searching for anything. IMO, the only chance this Earth has of attaining world peace, is the extinction of the human race - something I won't live to see.

eyzopn
Hi Sporatica!

My advice is to rediscover the parts of yourself that were tucked away in a drawer - all the interests and aspects of your personality that were incompatible with the peer pressure of the past. Please keep checking in with this mb too where you'll always be encouraged. You don't need priests in order to feel whole. There will be empty places, but that's life, and it creates a space for real life to come rushing in...like Hitch's link to "What a Wonderful World". Your post has brought me out from under a rock. I've been visiting here for months, during my own transition - grateful for the humour, candor, courage and truth. Glad to be able to open my mouth and say, please believe in yourself and embrace those empty spaces as opportunities for YOU. There's probably some scientific basis to the comforting hum of group chanting - some resonance or frequency that makes you feel better. Why not explore music instead? Just break out into song! ; ) Greetings and much love to everyone here.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: June 26, 2013 05:54AM

Thanks for posting, simplify. The only way to make sure of the vice-Chancellor's affiliation might be to sneak into his wardrobe and see if he has an untoward number of cheap white polyester shirts in there. I found it interesting that Buckingham U. purports itself as a "non-sectarian" institution. I wonder how closely any university looks into partnerships if generous donations are involved? I'm of a mind that it's never a bad thing to share information - if Kealy is an Ick-eda-bot, it won't be anything he hasn't heard before and just bemoan those devilish functions that plague defenders of the holy Magic Law. If he isn't sgi-associated, he might like to know who he's climbed into bed with, even if it was a couple of years ago.

Icky and Gakky indeed. That sounds like a cartoon. A dark one.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: June 26, 2013 06:49AM

Welcome to the ex-gakkai-cult-org "member" community, "Sporatica" and "eyzopn."

Some random thought to your first posts:

Sporatica
I joined NSA in 1984. At the time, I was 19. I was told that they were open to dialogue. Being inquisitive by nature, I had many questions, about the practice. Most couldn't be answered. So I went to the temple and asked one of the priests. The answers he gave me, helped to tide me over for a while. But the organization continued to rub me the wrong way.

I was "in" during that same time period, already in the process of resurfacing for air after venturing deep down into the cult org. hardcore abyss (not a pretty picture, especially during that time period).

IMO, the priesthood was definitely much kinder, gentler and more respectful than any of the gakkai cult org. monsters. Don't be fooled, however, for if you were Japanese, it could have been a different story for you.

Sporatica
I didn't have much money, but I was hungry for knowledge. The "guidance" I received was to chant and to read/study. The books were out of my budget. The response to this was "chant" about it. So I did. It came to me that the bookstore should have a reading room, similar to a library where members could donate books, so that less-prosperous members could read them there or even check them out like a library. Needless to say, this did not go over well as there was no money in it. I was confused. My mom went to the temple and bartered the price down on some used books. You would have thought, by the reaction of NSA members, that she had robbed a bank!

The N$A-$GI Cult Org. only wants its "members" to read "approved" literature and buy its official books. It's just a scam to sell the books / publications, which are then "used" in cult org. discussion-"study"-meetings, as manipulation-time-killing-brainwashing opportunities. Ikeda puts out some "new" garbage, and all the members (especially the "YOUTH!") are obligated to pick it up, tote it to meetings, and pretend to be awe of the wisdom oozing out of it.

Ikeda's slippery verbiage was always a big yawn for me.

Sporatica
Anyway, the more the org demanded of me, the less apt I was to participate. I liked stage crew. Hanging out in the warehouse at night and creating things in an informal environment. But I was soon told that I had to join YWD. I had no interest in YWD. IMHO, they were all stuck up and reminded me of the girls I disliked most in High School. However, I joined drill dance and prepared for the big World Peace celebration in San Diego. What a nightmare.

Regarding YWD --> HAHA!!

I know what you are talking about. The YMD (when and where I was in), to me, all kinda knew that we were paupers. The YWD, however, many acted like their sh*t smelled like roses and were walking entitlement queens. (Sorry if my bluntness is too sharp for some.)

Btw, I TOO was at that San Diego crazy farm event! Holy cannoli, what a farce of epic proportions that was.

Sporatica
As far as I was concerned, my time was my contribution. The concept of charging me to work and perform did not sit well with me. I was given more "guidance" and managed to hustle up the (I think) $100 for the trip and the money for a "uniform" that I would wear once in my life. I was not accustomed to being used or abused. That changed in San Diego. i am not going to whine about it now. Suffice to to say, the way we "grunts" were treated was less than optimal.

I felt the same as you. I've written before on here how they used to fleece uniform cleaning fees (despite not ever actually cleaning the uniforms) after every event (which were frequent in those days) out of us in the YMD Brass Band. Heavy handed pressure tactics, too.

Sporatica
I never thought of NSA as a cult. I'm still in a bit of shock, after reading about SGI, the temple issue, the rise of Ikeda, the fall of Williams, the meteoric rise of Matilda Buck and as much as I have been able to find over the past 30 hours, that I was a member of a cult. I contacted the temple via their webmail with regard to giving them the gohonzon. SGI has their new and improved gohonzon, so I didn't even bother contacting them. A part of me wants the temple to get back to me and another part is in fear of being sucked in by smiling faces and the comforting hum of chanting. I really am at a loss, and there is not a single person in my world that I would feel comfortable discussing this with. Any suggestions?

Just a small caveat, IMO the NS priesthood is just a cult lite version of the gakkai cult (which is a pseudo-buddhist cult or steroids in comparison).

eyzopn
There's probably some scientific basis to the comforting hum of group chanting - some resonance or frequency that makes you feel better. Why not explore music instead? Just break out into song! ; ) Greetings and much love to everyone here.

Meditation in general alters brain chemistry. It can help some (e.g., release serotonin for those with the blues) and / or even be harmful for others (e.g., cause panic or anxiety attacks in those susceptible / even cause full blow psychotic episodes in those with organic neurotransmitter imbalances - like schizophrenics). It all depends on the person and how it's ultimately done.

I personally never cared for what the magic chant tended to do to me, which was to make my mind numb.

Greetings and welcome, back at you (both of you - Sporatica & "eyzopen" --> open eyes, indeed!)

- Hitch

Posted by: Sporatica ()
Date: June 26, 2013 08:25AM

@Hitch

Thanks. I'm surprised they were able to get any money out of me at all. I love most things cheap or free. Nothing better than a good bargain! Then again, that's how I wound up with somebody else's gohonzon, which in turn led me to this MB. It never fails to amaze me what can be found in the free section of Craigslist -- LOL!

The last straw was when they stranded my mom in San Diego. The bus broke down. The group was left waiting on the side of the road. Then they shuffled her to a cheap motel and crammed her into a room with four people, instead of two. Running late, they shuttled her to the convention center and assigned her to "clean the tunnels," at which point they neglected to retrieve her for food.

At some point the next day, they dropped her at the nice hotel the leaders were staying at and offered to feed her - but all that was left were a few bagels. After the bagel, they took her back to the cheap motel (along with another member) and essentially - left with out the two of them. 48 hours of travel, hard work, no sleep, and then stranded in San Diego. My weekend was bad, but hers was much worse.

I sometimes wonder what became of the people I made friends with, back in the day. But not enough to do anything more than a cursory Facebook search every few years. Did they stay and chant fro the demise of the priests, or did they drift away? I'm glad that I am able to recall the bad along with the good.

Posted by: eyzopn ()
Date: June 26, 2013 10:24AM

Thank you so much Hitch! Your posts have had me shaking my head & laughing out loud. That helps me deal with the darkness of it - how stupid I was, how wanting to trust makes you accept the unacceptable and even puts you at risk. It's incredulity in retrospect, like after a relationship gone wrong. I'm not at the point of sharing stories. I really respect Sporaticus for saying "I'm not going to whine about it now", but also honour the need for catharsis and sharing the truth. I believed what I did for as long as I could and left for the same reason I got involved: the ongoing search for a better life. Each of us had a breaking point. This is a very odd situation - I don't want to hurt the good people I knew. I was "let go of" very easily, to their credit yet I'm afraid of being "identified" by others...do you believe it?! I'm so sorry to be a coward. But suggestions like turning your butsudan into a lemonade stand or a booth for bootleg CDs are very liberating! ; D (Was that TaitanandProud or Sleepy Skunk?! oxoxo) The video "Instruction Manual for Life" can bring tears to your eyes - all the more poignant because we share the legacy of a literal cabinet! "There's so much out there." We were taught that Buddhism encompasses all things, but were we "allowed" to enjoy them? How often did we feel guilty or uncomfortable or bury parts of ourselves we had to hide or have our living rooms "redecorated" by visiting leaders? Well, no victim here - I wanted to be a better person, please people and succeed in life. Classic and pathetic. I could no longer reconcile what I tried to believe with the desire to escape "The Matrix" in general. I couldn't stand up and say the words anymore. How was this different from any other system of control? This mb is an invaluable education. Prior to this, all I read about SGI was from the publications. (Don't read that bad stuff on the internet!) Hail Spartacus and everyone else! Thank you for 647 pages plus!

Posted by: eyzopn ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:05PM

Sporatica
@eyzopn

My primary goal is what to do with this gohonzon. I called the temple and they said that a local member would call me and arrange for pickup. I thought for sure I would be swamped with calls. So far... nothing. I am not of the mindset to drive out to Hollywood to return it.

My mom still wants to look into the NST. I've shared with her all that I have read about the cult of SGI. Her response has been, "NST is not SGI." As I stated, I liked the way I felt chanting. It quiets my mind. but I don't like being pressured for my money or my time - and I'm not the most disciplined person in my daily life. I can't honestly say that I'm searching for anything. IMO, the only chance this Earth has of attaining world peace, is the extinction of the human race - something I won't live to see.

Why not mail it? Use an inexpensive box available at Post Office, the scroll nicely wrapped within, enclose a brief letter, if you like. There's nothing disrespectful about that. Just a couple of bucks to do the right thing and make it go away! ; p

I'm terribly sorry for the way your Mom was treated at that activity - heinous. Seems like alot of us have had similiar "experiences" perhaps irrationalized (not a word, but should be!) as exercises in "human revolution": maltreatment as expiation of negative karma, strengthening one's resiliance, resistance to complaint. But when this is done to someone you love, the lights really go on. Hoping your Mom finds what she needs, free of disillusionment. Ah yes, World Peace! Remember singing "...twenty years we'll see Kosen Rufu....we've got just 20 years to go"? Cousin Rufus, where art thou?! I'm waiting for Atlantis to resurface or for other gorgeous, mindboggling revelations that will eradicate human pettiness. Half kidding here...but at least the fantasies are my own.

Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:17PM

Spartacus
I embrace calm silence with clear mind/spirit - absent grotesque sucking sounds from that unquenchably thirsty energy-vampire, SGIcult. Mmmm! Such sweet relief!!! Spartacus

Spartacus, you wise soul---by sharing this wonderful personal account of where you are at after 10 years gone from SGI, you have given a tremedous gift of hope to those who have just left or are contemplating leaving. Folks need to know and see "actual proof" (if you will, sorry!) that they will NOT be thrown into a cesspool of endless suffering. The Fear Factor is what keeps so many entrenched and SGI counts on that. Bless you...Bless you Spartacus for your message![/quote]

Thanks for your comment, Shavoy, and bless you as well. If I am achieving my goal of imparting the gift of hope to those victims most in need of it, then I am accomplishing my prime purpose of writing posts on this mb.

After having previously left the SGcult twice before, I wasn't fooled or intimidated at all by the cult lies regarding the punishment and suffering promised to befall anyone that leaves the SGcult behind. The end came in 2003 because I finally became totally DISGUSTED with the cult.org. I quit smoking tobacco cigarettes several times as well, before I finally became so disgusted with the damn things that the act of quitting them had become the natural thing to do. Being in a cult is a nasty habit thats hard to break. Its easier to leave one's negatively adverse habits behind once you come to recognize and understand self-delusional choices for what they really are - very destructive for you!

IMHO, the journey toward the true self starts with the courage to think for yourself instead of capitulating to so-called expert (authority's) views, and continues with consistant and deliberate actions based upon one's re-discovered self-awareness. Even though it may be difficult, to discover and follow one's own path to enlightenment, it is the natural thing to do.

Yes, the last ten years of my life - sans all SGcult practices - have been the very happiest! I haven't missed or regretted being involved in the cult for one single second! My only small regret is having not discovered this mb until last year. It did take me almost 2 months to read through the daunting numbers of great posts, but it was worth the effort! I was glued to my computer screen, amazed to find so many wonderful people with simular or identical experiences. Now I am no longer isolated, but instead motivated to share my experiences with the desire that others may awaken to both the true nature of the evil SGcult, and to endless alternative paths to higher states of being available to truth-seekers.

I was alone in the ex-cult wilderness before coming to this mb, and I cannot thank all of you here enough for the inspiration and hope that I have voraciously absorbed through the endlessly insightful contributions from my follow posters. Bless you all!

Spartacus

PS: This pic sums up my feelings for NSA/SGI.

Posted by: simplify ()
Date: June 26, 2013 05:03PM

meh
Thanks for posting, simplify. The only way to make sure of the vice-Chancellor's affiliation might be to sneak into his wardrobe and see if he has an untoward number of cheap white polyester shirts in there. I found it interesting that Buckingham U. purports itself as a "non-sectarian" institution. I wonder how closely any university looks into partnerships if generous donations are involved? I'm of a mind that it's never a bad thing to share information - if Kealy is an Ick-eda-bot, it won't be anything he hasn't heard before and just bemoan those devilish functions that plague defenders of the holy Magic Law. If he isn't sgi-associated, he might like to know who he's climbed into bed with, even if it was a couple of years ago.

Icky and Gakky indeed. That sounds like a cartoon. A dark one.

Polyester shirts - of course!!!! I love it!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.