Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: meh ()
Date: June 24, 2013 09:25PM

The key to any abusive relationship is to be able to normalize it in the victim's mind. Children who are abused don't start figuring out that something isn't quite right until (and IF) they start comparing notes with other kids or being able to observe somehow that their lives aren't like other kids'.

Another incident that really strained my credibility was a YWD member sharing an experience at New Years krg this past year. Very pretty young woman (do they never put ugly people up front to share experiences?) who had, apparently, made it out of a difficult situation with the help of - ta-da - they mystic law. Except her experience didn't even sound remotely true.

Let's see. She reaches a place in her career where she feels financially comfortable - she leases a nice apartment, blah-blah-blah. Ooops . . . she finds herself pregnant! She doesn't make any effort to conceal her pregnancy, every one at work seems happy for her. For a couple of months, she continues along in her responsible position at non-burger joint (what I'm saying is that she wasn't flipping burgers for a living).

Bam! For some reason, she gets fired from her job. Here in the US, pregnancy is treated like any other illness, which means you cannot be fired for it - in fact if you can even suggest that that's the reason you've been fired, that company better have a butt-load of evidence to support that there were other valid reasons for the termination. Firing someone based on them being pregnant is kind of like blatantly firing someone for being black or female.

So maybe girlfriend doesn't know that she has a potential discrimination lawsuit on her hands; I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on that one (maybe she's been living in a cave). What made no sense to me was that she said that she was denied unemployment. To the best of my knowledge (and I've collected unemployment pretty frequently over the past couple of years), there are only three reasons why someone would be denied - either you haven't worked long enough, you voluntarily left the position or you were fired for cause (theft, fighting at work, that sort of thing - simple things like incompetence don't count, it needs to be something almost approaching criminal behavior).

Another thing that I found confusing was that after all of that bad news, she was denied any kind of federal assistance . . . no Medicaid, no food-stamps, nothing. Again, based on my vast experience as an unemployed person, I applied for Medicaid several years ago and was approved, although I started working and let it elapse. And I wasn't a pregnant, 20-something person.

So now poor little girl is out on her butt, unemployed and pregnant, no source of income, no medical care - enter the mystic law to rescue her! And of course it did, by helping her find the right lawyer who guided her through the minefield she found herself in, knowing-nods-wink-wink to the captivated audience in the kaikan who is cheering her on! And big fat financial settlement from her former employer, wink-wink, standing ovation, cheers, fist-bumps, yada-yada.

I sat there with my jaw open, but not in appreciation for the power of the good old ML . . . everything that came out of her mouth was so contradictory to my own experiences in the systems she was talking about that it was as clear as day to me that she was lying her arse off. Honestly, I was looking around the audience to see who was buying her load of manure, and it looked like every single person there was hanging on every word. I really have always given people wiggle room when I've thought they were being dishonest (often to my detriment), but the experience she was sharing was such obvious BS that it was insulting to the intelligence of everyone in the room. But, from what I could see, I was the only non-believer.

I don't think any of us would go back, but maybe we should encourage anyone thinking about leaving the organization to start filming this horse-crap or at least recording it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: June 25, 2013 04:40AM

Spartacus
meh
Great analogy! The state of sweetness and light can't hold forever; whether I agree with her or not, her response came from a place of shock and disappointment. Whether we can remain friends is doubtful, but one never knows. I'd certainly be happy to support her leaving the org. Does anyone actually leave after 40+ years? I have to wonder if the programming isn't so absorbed on a cellular level if that's even possible.

I would venture to say that those with 40+ years do leave, but most likely depart - in a casket. Used up, burnt out, beat down, drained, fried, chewed up, spit out, tossed aside, and ultimately forgotten. You know - like a Sadanaga, no further use to the cult.org (that is unless you died and left a nice fat sized trust fund set up with SgCult named as the beneficiary - one of their newer never-stop-giving financial concepts).

But there are some rare cases of escape after a lengthy term of sentence. Although I did repeat the cycle of coming and going over three different time periods, I did manage to make my final departure in 2003 after 31 years. In the words of Dr. King, " Free at last, free at last".

I am so much happier than ever before in my life, I will never again be suckered into such a unhealthy and disfunctional relationship. Since renouncing my membership, I'm enjoying more actual good fortune than ever, and here's the icing on the cake: I will never again have to endure this cult's lies, distortions, manipulations, magical thinking, never-ending meetings/activities, contribution campaigns, get-guidance fetish, willful confusion, publication sales strong-arming, extreme bias, total exhaustion 24/7, mind-numbing tosos/speakers/jargon/peer-pressure/uniforms, brainwashing agendas, creepy father figure worship, racial prejudice, overbearing arrogance, boiling anger, hidden jealousy, destructive criticisms, isolation/aloneness, fake smiles, love bombing, pretend friendships, fanantical members, dumb-ass cult songs, Divisions, savings-draining cult trips, hypocritical guidlines/policies/rules, power hungry psychopathic leaders, or the closed minded world of a dangerous religious cult that supports warmongers while giving lip service to the cause of peace. Gee - what a shame my life will never be filled to the brim with cult crap like that again. :-D

Now for a moment of philosophising. There are indeed, a countless number of higher paths to enlightenment for Bodhisattvas with actual seeking minds. I believe it is up to each individual to discover, and then to follow one's own way along one's own path. No one can better know what the right path is than ourself. Our Buddhahood exists first and last within our humanity.

There is no magical solution to all life's problems, there is just our own human creativity and resolve. When we stop seeking all the answers outside of ourselves, and instead endeavor to reclaim our true selves, we begin to experience an elevated level of living happily and harmoniously - without having to artificially rely on anyone or anything externally.

May we wisely create our useful tools/means without becoming enslaved by those same tools/means. May we wisely recognize those who would harm us while pretending to help. May we wisely lead others by embracing good example.

I embrace calm silence with clear mind/spirit - absent grotesque sucking sounds from that unquenchably thirsty energy-vampire, SGIcult. Mmmm! Such sweet relief!!!

Spartacus

Spartacus, you wise soul---by sharing this wonderful personal account of where you are at after 10 years gone from SGI, you have given a tremedous gift of hope to those who have just left or are contemplating leaving. Folks need to know and see "actual proof" (if you will, sorry!) that they will NOT be thrown into a cesspool of endless suffering. The Fear Factor is what keeps so many entrenched and SGI counts on that. Bless you...Bless you Spartacus for your message!

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: June 25, 2013 05:44AM

meh
So now poor little girl is out on her butt, unemployed and pregnant, no source of income, no medical care - enter the mystic law to rescue her! And of course it did, by helping her find the right lawyer who guided her through the minefield she found herself in, knowing-nods-wink-wink to the captivated audience in the kaikan who is cheering her on! And big fat financial settlement from her former employer, wink-wink, standing ovation, cheers, fist-bumps, yada-yada. 

I also remember fervid cheering, high fives and hoots of approval whenever somebody gave a similar experience with the theme of a gakkai cult member screwing somebody over with a lawsuit and getting a huge financial settlement. The second part to these stories, that they always leave out, is how the cult org. "leaders" quickly rush in to "encourage" the recipient to "not forget" their generous gesture of sincere appreciation to Cousin Rufus for making it all possible (the amount being proportional to the depth of their faith / appreciation, etc.). It reminds me of the con-man who gives you the illusion that you are getting something, but in the end gets you to give it all back to him, leaving you with almost nothing or almost right where you started off in the first place.

More glimpses into the gakkai cult org. world:

"Walk With $oka Gakkai Cult Org. Friends"

"Sometimes I get weary
Weary as hell
When's it going to get better?
I wonder if it ever will

Everything seems wrong
And nothing's right
You stumble in the darkness
Reaching out for the light

But there's a place
When you go deep down inside
You will find your hope there
And you know you will survive

With our $oka Gakkai friends
Oh yeah
Walk with out $oka Gakkai friends

12 million people
All around the world
Helping one another
In a Brave New World

Just let your heart open
And the pain will cease
There comes a day now
When we all will be released

There comes a day
When the armies will fade away

When we walk with our $oka Gakkai friends
Oh yeah
Oh yeah
Walk with your $oka Gakkai friends
Oh yeah
When we walk with our $oka friends
Oh yeah

We can be free
Ahhh, we can be free
Ahhh, you can be free
Ahhh we can be free

[www.youtube.com]

My comments / observations (bolded) on the ever present cult org. doublethink / doublespeak, deeply embedded irony and hypocrisy:

Friends - as in being used, manipulated and abused; a victim in a dysfunctional relationship.

Reaching out for the light - as in the light of superstition, magical thinking and ritual.

12 million people - as in fallacy of association with large numbers.

Brave New World - this is the most significant Freudian or ignorant slip, depending on how you look at it. As in, . . . . . . (re: Huxley's "Brave New World", taken from [en.wikipedia.org]) . . . . .

"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egotism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us."

(Those bolded wiki-quotes above, are perfect crystallizations of the side-effects of the gakkai cult org. kool-aid.)

And, finally,

We / You can be free - "free" in a cult, is oxymoronic.

- Hitch

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: June 25, 2013 07:08AM

Its so easy for us to forget to measure testimony against our own know how.

Meh's account is a great example of how to apply the experience/smell test to testimony.

There was a popular slogan that read, Question Authority

I would suggest something more useful: Question Inspiration

Those who can manipulate and elicit inspirational emotions in audiences gain an unquestionable authority--because they are adept at making us feel relieved and energized.

And then we bond to them.

(Persons who can elicit inspiration one on one are the types who are known as the love pirates, pick up artists (PUAs) con artists, serial abusers/bigamists.

And...IMO, its especially important to test 'inspirational' material, whether its a heavily marketed book or speech.

Inspiration is something that generates a high and a sense of forward momentum.

And because a lot of us feel tired, scared, depressed or some combo of these, inspiration is craved. And when someone or something triggers that inspirational cocktail of neurotransmitters (dopamine, endogenous opioids) --- we dont want to question it. We cling to what or whoever is making us feel inspired.

Meh listened to that woman's inspirational speech given to rouse the SGI masses and saw the inconsistencies.

It wouldve been so easy to slide into that warm mush of inspiration.

Inspiration gets people hooked and maintains the group bond.

Lesson: Anytime someone is out there pumping pushing marketing inspiration, take that as a signal to look closely, and carefully for a business model hidden behind the bunting and flowers.

And..fact check the inspiration peddlar. Not just anyone knows how to pump crowds up. Its a set of techniques to be learned and one thing the thrill peddlars try to keep hidden is where -and from whom- they learned their chops.

Anyone who uses inspiration as a prime motor, even for a good cause--they are turning themselves into an intoxicant, and diverting attention from the cause they claim to serve.

And people who are adept at eliciting inspiration often dislike the patient long term effort needed for real relationship building.

Persons who have an incentive to learn insta-intimacy tricks that elicit inspiration are often making up for some deficit and thus had an incentive to learn inspiration tech.

Len Oakes talks of this in his book, Prophetic Charisma. He interviewed 20 charismatic leaders (many others refused to be interviewed) and he found all of them had worked hard at becoming persuaders.

[books.google.com]

The only difference I can come up with is whether the prisons are concrete and steel or insidious and intangible. At least when you are in jail there’s no pretense of freedom-always-around-the-corner.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: June 25, 2013 07:10AM

From Prophetic Charisma: The Psychology of Revolutionary Religious Personalities by Len Oakes

After having settled oneself into the group and made all the initial adjustments to membership (this takes at most a year), a period of disillusionment occurs. No longer can times of unhappiness be dismissed as part of the fitting-in process… The organization itself has grave flaws; members are expected to be honest with each other but dishonest to the outside world (and in time the follower learns that there is not complete honesty within the group either)… This is a time when second thoughts dominate. The follower may also engage in a power struggle with the leader. Eventually, if the new member is to remain, it is on the understanding that he is playing a part in someone else’s game but can bend the play to his own advantage.
–Chapter Seven, The Followers and Their Quest, P. 137

The Gentle Souls Revolution says:

Date: June 25, 2013 09:17AM

What I found most stunning about that woman's performance was the absolute conviction she had that nothing she said would be questioned or analyzed; she figured the whole gig out within a couple of years of joining sgi. I admit to a level of naivety, and the idea that someone could stand in front of a room of 150 or so people and so blatantly lie really shocked me. If I were to spout off such fabrications, I would be terrified of someone standing up and calling me a liar. She is a scary chick, with a set-and-a-half of huevos, and I suspect she'll go far in das organization.

"Inspiration" truly is the key to snookering someone into any cult situation and you're right, corboy, when you say that we crave it most when we are tired, scared, depressed or in some other dark place in our lives. I'd add elements of loneliness and a sense of isolation. We're most vulnerable then, and if someone reaches out with what looks like a helping hand it's human nature to grab it and not ask as many questions as we maybe should. The seductive kindness and love-bombing can win us over, and what appears to be unconditional acceptance . . . the more broken and damaged the better! Let chanting carry you from that "fundamental darkness"! Depend upon the mystic law and the protection of the shoten zenjin! Sometimes our lives can be so complicated that it can come as a relief to accept what seems to be sincerely-offered assistance; especially when it comes under the guise of empowerment . . . the less control we feel we have, the more we want. If we can gain control (as we're told we can by people who seem trustworthy) just by chanting beetlejuice x-number of times a day, well . . . why not try it and see if it works? Introducing the lovely and amazing Ms. Confirmation Bias!

It is so frighteningly simple and sinister . . . any of us could pull it off if we wanted to - all it takes are certain levels of greed and skeeviness.

Posted by: Sporatica ()
Date: June 25, 2013 06:22PM

I found it quite interesting to learn that Ikeda doesn't have proof of so much as a (self-earned) High School diploma and no employment history out side of the SG.

rattyboy
...I never signed up to idolize a person..." Thank you, Backnforth. I agree. For me: Attempts to resell me the same used car (SGI) whenever I'm around an SGI member or members, even at memorial services was ridiculous. Like being in a relationship with someone and always assessing the relationship as great without letting it breathe on its own. Having to hear about #s of degrees the big leader has, the # of countries involved. People always trying to make sure they had the exact #. Certainly not "world reknowned" like other world leaders. Selling him as the humble ordinary man but making sure tons of camera flashes are going off as he steps in and out of his limo.

Date: June 25, 2013 09:55PM

Ok, so I was curious as to exactly where Senseless had received his degrees and found a list (viva la internet!):

[www.daisakuikeda.org]

I know absolutely nothing about any of the schools outside the US, but don't see any in that grouping that I'd brag about my kid going to. I'm not saying that they are bad schools, but I don't see Harvard, Yale, Princeton, George Washington or any other universities that I'd consider to be heavy hitters. I've also read that a lot of these degrees were awarded after heavy campaigning and/or donations from sgi. I don't see Kaplan, la Salle or Phoenix on the list, so I guess that's something. Or maybe they just have higher standards than I give them credit for?

According to legend, Senseless left college to assist toadie in his printing business and, out of gratitude, toadie decided to educate the youthful sprout himself. Whatta guy. I'm sure that an open, thought-provoking, well-rounded education was provided and there was absolutely no attempt to skew information or opinion. Home-schooling from hell.

Posted by: eyzopn ()
Date: June 25, 2013 11:57PM

Hi Sporatica!

My advice is to rediscover the parts of yourself that were tucked away in a drawer - all the interests and aspects of your personality that were incompatible with the peer pressure of the past. Please keep checking in with this mb too where you'll always be encouraged. You don't need priests in order to feel whole. There will be empty places, but that's life, and it creates a space for real life to come rushing in...like Hitch's link to "What a Wonderful World". Your post has brought me out from under a rock. I've been visiting here for months, during my own transition - grateful for the humour, candor, courage and truth. Glad to be able to open my mouth and say, please believe in yourself and embrace those empty spaces as opportunities for YOU. There's probably some scientific basis to the comforting hum of group chanting - some resonance or frequency that makes you feel better. Why not explore music instead? Just break out into song! ; ) Greetings and much love to everyone here.

Posted by: simplify ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:39AM

Quote Meh:

Ok, so I was curious as to exactly where Senseless had received his degrees and found a list (viva la internet!):

[www.daisakuikeda.org]

I know absolutely nothing about any of the schools outside the US, but don't see any in that grouping that I'd brag about my kid going to. I'm not saying that they are bad schools, but I don't see Harvard, Yale, Princeton, George Washington or any other universities that I'd consider to be heavy hitters. I've also read that a lot of these degrees were awarded after heavy campaigning and/or donations from sgi. I don't see Kaplan, la Salle or Phoenix on the list, so I guess that's something. Or maybe they just have higher standards than I give them credit for?

According to legend, Senseless left college to assist toadie in his printing business and, out of gratitude, toadie decided to educate the youthful sprout himself. Whatta guy. I'm sure that an open, thought-provoking, well-rounded education was provided and there was absolutely no attempt to skew information or opinion. Home-schooling from hell.

Meh,

The dear leader can only receive degrees from Universities that he can 'buy' them from or have staff prepared to reciprocate with an honour after he has bestowed an honorary degree on them  via Soka Uni in Tokyo or California.  I suspect this is often helped along by fanatical Gakkai true believers who are on staff at the universities.  I think I posted a bit about what seems to have happened at Buckingham University (the only private university in the United Kingdom) a while back in this thread.   Ikeda did try to get some connection with Harvard by giving a lecture in a hired room near the campus, but that didn't work out.  I'll dig out the posts about these when I have a moment.

BTW Meh, have you considered starting at page one of this forum and reading your way through?*.  I know it is a pretty daunting prospect, but highly enlightening!   I found it an invaluable aid in helping me detach from the cult.org :-)

all the best

Simplify

*(It is amazing how many pages this thread has, far more than are devoted to even better known cults on the forum as far as I can see)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.