Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: meh ()
Date: June 10, 2013 07:59PM

Her headstone will read "She just didn't chant enough." As I wrote, I only got through about a minute, but what a sad, angry young woman. Can you imagine what a fun person she must be to hang with? Betting that she doesn't have a single friend outside of sgi, and we all know how well that works out.

It's hard not to watch that without thinking about bible-thumping Christians; the difference though, is that nobody ever "thumps" the goshos or the lotus sutra - they're always thumping something written by Senseless-san.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: holly_golightly ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:22AM

meh
Her headstone will read "She just didn't chant enough." As I wrote, I only got through about a minute, but what a sad, angry young woman. Can you imagine what a fun person she must be to hang with? Betting that she doesn't have a single friend outside of sgi, and we all know how well that works out.

It's hard not to watch that without thinking about bible-thumping Christians; the difference though, is that nobody ever "thumps" the goshos or the lotus sutra - they're always thumping something written by Senseless-san.

So painful to watch - I can sense her frustration and desperation. It reminds me of what my internal dialogue used to be like when I was in the depth of it and it's this sort of mentality that led me to do 7 hour tozos, giving up my personal life and going to endless meetings and activities. When it didn't work I would berate myself for not doing enough (chanting, meetings, home visits, Sensei worship) whatever I was told to do - a mentality that was readily supported in the organisation - when what I should have been doing was giving myself a break and learning to accept myself. And this lady will be supported and encouraged to continue this extreme behaviour by all those around her.

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:18AM

Okay, guys, I still cannot download YouTube videos, sooooo could I have this particular video described? Thank you much..I am very curious.

Date: June 11, 2013 04:32AM

Skinny girl maybe in her 20's? Lots of fluffy hair, dressed in dark red leggings with an oversized-sgi t-shirt on. Jumping around like a cockroach on a hot griddle, passionately spewing catch-phrases and telling everyone that if their life sucks it's because they don't chant enough and don't have enough faith. I'm sure you've never seen anything like it, shavoy ;-p. She had a notebook in her hand that was of great significance, and she kept gesturing at and with it. Apparently, the book was filled with wisdom she was trying to convey. It would appear that she's had enough of slackers and wants to make them understand that her example of frenetic physical behavior is either the appropriate way to augment their puny practices or she has some kind of disorder. Sorry, like I wrote, I could only handle about a minute of her heartfelt presentation; it just made me too nostalgic for my days in the institution . . . sorry, um, organization.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:40AM

HAHA! Perfect description meh.

The clip is about 7 minutes long and she slowly works herself up into a frenzy, where toward the end she is practically shouting certain points out, snapping at the members like a shark, and then . . . . suddenly, inexplicably, bizarrely, like the flip of a switch, at the 6 minute mark, starts to cry (presumably because the members need to really grasp, understand, and apply to their daily lives (more cult-lingo) the full import of her cult guidance / wisdom --> Ikeda has the magic key to happiness, the key is already in their hands, all they have to do is get up off of their lazy butts and polish it, chant to it, embrace it, love it, and the material world is their oyster).

Some members then hand her a tissue (no joke).

- Hitch

Date: June 11, 2013 04:56AM

Oh my god . . . it's a key, not a mirror? I've been polishing the wrong thing? Holy crap.

Raining all day and I almost thought about thinking about chanting. The rain has almost stopped! How can anyone deny the connections?

We always had a box of tissues at meetings . . . you just never knew.

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:00AM

meh and Hitch, thanks for breaking it down for me. She sounds over-the-edge and down-the-cliff. I don't think I've witnessed anything like that, you are right about that!

Your descriptions also reminds me of me longggg back in the days of 1980s' shakabuku fever. I would get totally emotional and cry with frustration that people I was shakabuking could not/would not accept this magic elixir that would eliminate all of their problems and worries, bring them love, etc..

Needless to say, my concern (it was real concern, I really believed passionately) did not translate into shakabuku victories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 06:04AM by Shavoy.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:25AM

Watch out Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A. members, the Gakkai Cult Org. is coming, especially for you.

"Published on Jun 4, 2013
Atlanta Buddhist Culture Center - Construction - 5/31/13

Silverman CPM was selected to represent Soka Gakkai International- USA and manage the design and construction of their new Atlanta Buddhist Culture Center located on approximately 1.3 acre site within the Atlantic Station development on Village Street between 16th and 18th Streets. This new 13,000 square foot facility, which will include a new worship center, exhibit space and the organization's Atlanta offices, is set to begin construction the early part of 2013. Total project budget is $4.5 million.
Soka Gakkai has more than 12 million members including about 3,500 in Atlanta."

[www.youtube.com]

$4.5 million, folks. $4.5 million.

[silvermancpm.com]

New Cult Bldg. / Cousin Rufus-Dear Leader Center, under construction.

Groundbreaking [silvermancpm.com]

The Cult Org. "marching forward, to 'VICTORY!', In the 21st Century."

[www.youtube.com] Old time gakkai cult members will recognize this song. "Fighting the poisons of fear, greed and hate."

More cult org. hypocrisy:

Fear - as in never go taiten or stop working for Cousin Rufus, or else . . . . . . .

Greed - so says the multi-billion dollar "organization", replete with it's own multi-million dollar Fuji Art Museum (Ikeda's hobby) for "cultural education" / so says the self-described "scholar" who has over 300 "honorary degrees", but still needs and wants more

Hate - as in the priesthood (need I say more?)

(That particular song, btw, drove me up a wall back in the day.)

- Hitch

Date: June 11, 2013 06:43AM

As if Sherman wasn't enough for Atlanta? Oy.

Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: June 11, 2013 10:09AM

Total project budget is $4.5 million.
Soka Gakkai has more than 12 million members including about 3,500 in Atlanta."

Let me see...divide by 3500, carry the one...that works out to about $1,287 per member. Wowz. They must have some richie-rich members in Atlanta, to warrant that sort of spendage!! Still, compared to what the Christian churches shell out, that's not terribly much:

Like shopping centers leap-frogging their way out into the suburbs the mega-churches leave of trail of market challenged real-estate. The mega-church with the better program, facilities, entertainment, and location takes the market share of the less fortunate.

The cost of a South East Christian outside of Louisville, KY is just under $10,000.00 for each of its 9,100 plush bucket seats. The cost of Prestonwood, outside of Arlington, TX is just about $7,500.00 for each of its 7,000 seats. Only the LCMS (Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod) congregations who get to the LCEF (Lutheran Church Extension Fund - a financial arm that funds new building) first will be able to compete in this arena.

It appears the larger the mega-church the more it costs per seat and the more it costs to maintain. A small LCMS congregation can build a church with 200 seats for $4,000.00 a seat or less with less maintenance and fewer staff. In other words, small congregations, dollar for dollar, are more efficient, cost effective, and resilient. [www.lutherquest.org]
We'll just see how "efficient, cost effective, and resilient" this new building turns out to be O_O

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.