Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: May 26, 2013 09:01AM

sleepy skunk
Pardon the probably odd question but this made me think of the scarves they give to people in the begining. Does anyone know of their significance and if the above was the purpose of giving them out?

It's not an odd question at all.

It's part of the Japanese custom of wrapping (especially important items) things with a "furoshiki" cloth. In the case of the gakkai cult mandala (gohonzon), it used out of respect and to temporarily transport the scroll from one place to another. Some people keep them as mementoes, ignorantly hang them up as decorations, or use them to wrap and later carry their juzu beads / gongyo book in.

Just another example of the heavy Japanese influence that permeates the gakkai cult org.. Customs and traditions are imitated, followed and carried out, often without any background knowledge as to what it all exactly entails.

- Hitch

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 26, 2013 12:59PM

Came across this (in part):

"Unnatural superstitions amongst SGI and Nichiren practitioners."

"Among my travels in life I have encountered some strange superstitions, from the uncanniest of characters however i have not encountered such bizarre superstitions as those amongst the SGI and other Nichiren practitioners. Growing up I entertained all the local superstitions and customs, and I even created some of my own but once I started on the Bodhisattva path, I began to realize the foolishness and wisdom in some of these old superstitions.

It was when I joined the SGI that I heard the most unbelievable superstitions out there, but what can you expect from a cult? The first one I encountered was that it was unnatural or unwholesome for a Buddhist to have a statue/picture of the Buddha around the alter. At one point I was told that I would have to get rid of them or move them to another room. WHAT? I could not believe my ears, are we not Buddhists? Don't we want to become Buddhas? Weird. Soon I began to meet new Nichiren Buddhists (Sgi Cult Members) and began to learn all there creepy superstitions that came along with it. Now I have studied a lot on Japanese history, culture,art and spirituality, and have learned about a lot of strange Japanese practices, but never to the degree of the SGI. Another strange and unwholesome superstition that I encountered regarding the alter was walking directly in front of it, or crossing through its location when not in use. Some members would become very upset if you walked through "its" space. Its as if they are worried that it will become damaged or disrespected. Come on now.

My favorite superstition surrounding the alter is taking pictures of the Gohanzon. Its like saying "goddamn" in front of a radical christian, or swearing allegiance to satan in church. If an SGI member catches you taking a picture of the Gohonzon, they will tear off your skin. It reminds me of the movie 'Crocadille Dundee', when the reporter gal tries to take the picture of the bushman, the bushman says, "you cant take my picture with that", the reporter countered, " because it will take your spirit away?" "No", replied the bushman, "its because you have a lense cap on it." That's what Nichiren would have said about it, he would not care if you took a picture of it, the act is not disrespectful, its your presumptions which are.
It really astonishes me that there are Buddhists who holds views like this, and to think of those who perpetuate these mistaken views, and the negative karma they are planting. Its as if the Gohonzon scroll was a living thing or something. These kind of views are ultimately unhealthy and does not contribute towards enlightenment.

www.myspace.com/bodhisattvagreatmajesty/blog/515260295 (in full.)

I can vouch for a lot the prevalent nonsense beliefs amongst (ignorant) gakkai cult members. I've heard it all (all the above) before, plus MORE! E.g., no photos of other "buddhas" in your household or possession, don't breath on the gohonzon, handle it only with gloves or the utmost caution and care (if you soil it or damage it it any way, it has the same effect on your life), don't point your feet or legs towards it, don't walk in front of it in a state of undress or in your pajamas (i.e., keep the bustudan doors closed as a precaution), don't point at it (disrespectful!), don't dare utter any other "slanderous" prayers before it ("nami amida buddha" will cause a hardcore gakkai member to go nuts, either run away or kick you out in fear), don't "slander", criticize or complain in any form in front of the gohozon - about the gohonzon (extremely bad karma will result - we're talking an express train to hell in a hand basket kind of stuff), . . . . and on and on and on. I'm sure there are even more that I'm leaving out, but probably could remember if I gave it more thought.

Leave it up to the Gakkai to warp and bend things out of shape, beyond all recognition and implant primitive manipulative fear into your life (if you let them). All of this wackiness and more, I've seen it all first hand, with stories to accompany each example, too.

Creepy, weird, bizarre, etc., are all, unfortunately, very accurate descriptions when it comes to the $oka Gakkai Cult Org..

- Hitch

Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: May 26, 2013 02:58PM

Yeah, loads of superstitions. I remember one member telling me about this other (male) member who liked to do gongyo in the nude. She, the one telling me, was completely offended. She kept saying, "He should be able to anticipate the kind of karma he's making!" What? To have others wave their ghoulies at him or something?? I never DID understand that one :?

The SGI was also terribly callous and unkind to those members whose gohonzons somehow got destroyed or damaged. These members were shamed and were not allowed to get a replacement scroll for a year in one case that I knew of. In this case, a very devout member had married a man with a troubled young son. In fact, she married him BECAUSE of the troubled young son. She really wanted to be able to help this boy. He ended up destroying her gohonzon, and the SGI wouldn't allow her to receive a replacement for an entire year. A young woman's controlling boyfriend destroyed hers. I don't know how long it took for her to be eligible for a replacement - there didn't seem to be any real guidelines on this, so the leaders could drag the shaming out for as long as they liked, I suppose. Look at these situations. THESE women needed support more than others, but did they get any? NOPE!

Posted by: sleepy skunk ()
Date: May 26, 2013 09:39PM

Hitch
sleepy skunk
Pardon the probably odd question but this made me think of the scarves they give to people in the begining. Does anyone know of their significance and if the above was the purpose of giving them out?

It's not an odd question at all.

It's part of the Japanese custom of wrapping (especially important items) things with a "furoshiki" cloth. In the case of the gakkai cult mandala (gohonzon), it used out of respect and to temporarily transport the scroll from one place to another. Some people keep them as mementoes, ignorantly hang them up as decorations, or use them to wrap and later carry their juzu beads / gongyo book in.

Just another example of the heavy Japanese influence that permeates the gakkai cult org.. Customs and traditions are imitated, followed and carried out, often without any background knowledge as to what it all exactly entails.

- Hitch
Thanks for the information. I'm also curious if there's a reason they'd give out more than one and in different colors, is that of any significance like to show who's new or "seeking spirit" or any other kind of status or levels I've heard of like in your post? I remember now that one was for the scroll, from the senior leader, but there was another from the youth leader. Mostly everything was given to me not purchased, talk about kissing someone's butt!

Has anyone else gotten any calls or visits this month yet? I've already had some but with no mention of donations, I think they know better now but you never do know. It seems like some people can be rather persistent and mildly irritating so I'm expecting plenty more to come which will be met with the same level of meh that I have been giving for the past while now since I have left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 09:41PM by sleepy skunk.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: May 27, 2013 12:34AM

A most prized possession is a swatch of mentor's necktie. I kid you not.

Nichijew

Date: May 27, 2013 01:04AM

Nichijew

Nichijew
Unwashed right off his sweaty chest which you get with a 1000$ donation, right? Ugh. How ridiculous can they get?

Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:33AM

I'm also curious if there's a reason they'd give out more than one and in different colors, is that of any significance like to show who's new or "seeking spirit" or any other kind of status or levels I've heard of like in your post? I remember now that one was for the scroll, from the senior leader, but there was another from the youth leader. Mostly everything was given to me not purchased, talk about kissing someone's butt! - skunkieboy
When I got my gohonzon in August, 1987 (bizarre how I still remember the month, but I don't remember the date hahaha, and I can explain the month thing because I had to put it on my leadership paperwork every time I got a promotion and I got promoted at least 5 times), I was told to bring a cloth of some kind to receive the scroll with so that my hands didn't touch it.

Nobody gave me diddly squat! >:( What makes YOU so special, skunkieboy???

Date: May 27, 2013 05:09AM

sleepy skunk
Thanks for the information. I'm also curious if there's a reason they'd give out more than one and in different colors, is that of any significance like to show who's new or "seeking spirit" or any other kind of status or levels I've heard of like in your post? I remember now that one was for the scroll, from the senior leader, but there was another from the youth leader. Mostly everything was given to me not purchased, talk about kissing someone's butt!

Kind of hard to say with absolute certainty, because it can be hit or miss in terms of meaning. It depends on the people doing it. It could have little to no meaning, or it could also represent, as you pointed out, the high hopes they may be pinning on you (usually as manifested by your sincerity, "seeking spirit" or eagerness & willingness to transform into an unthinking Ikeda-bot).

The colors may or may not represent anything, depending on the group or circumstances that they are giving it to you under. For example, if it's a lavender color and you are a YWD in the "byakuren" group, it has meaning (you are now officially "officially" part of the group "group"). If it's the tri-colored Gakkai Cult Org. colors, then the meaning is generic, etc..

It can definitely be a kind of peer group status symbol within certain circles of the cult org., reminiscent of Jr. High / High School. If your "leader" has one, or your peers, but you don't, then it's something to kind of strive for (again, the manipulative, forced "sincerity" thing), because you'll feel left out.

As alluded to by Nichijew, behind closed doors the top leadership pines for various degrees of Dear Leader relics. When I was in, so-called third degree / class relics were common. Salaried and top non-salaried "leaders" would often go ga-ga over items / gifts directly from Sensei (something signed, a handwritten message, or something stamped with his emblem, etc.). I've also seen Ikeda calligraphy, stamped emblem furoshiki being given to selected people (I even got a couple during my time in the YMD.).

The gakkai cult org. has since gone on steroids and graduated to second degree / class relics . . . . (again, see below) . . . .

Nichijew

Nichijew

Dear Leader personal items are now officially displayed at hardcore gakkai cult org. sites like FNCC and the new cult HQ. building in Shinanomachi (Cousin Rufus bicycles, Cousin Rufus travel-suitcases, respectively).

I'm sure it's just a matter of time, once The Dear Leader graduates to immortality, before the move to first degree relics happens (if they are not already doing it, and I suspect they are, behind closed doors). Nichiren Shoshu has their own, along with fantastic tall tales to accompany (as I'm sure you know).

This is an interesting fact that Fioera didn't address, but should have because it would have been a perfect fit, for the Warwick dissertation (Gakkai Cult Org. in Italy and its Catholic tradition parallels).

- Hitch

Date: May 27, 2013 07:48AM

A gakkai cult member sings her own version [www.youtube.com] the $oka Gakkai "Laverne & Shirley" (American, old TV sitcom show) song.

"Make our dreams come true, chanting with SENSEI!" "We'll do it 'The Middle Way", with Sensei."

Depending on the day of the week, you might also find her Snake Dancing [www.youtube.com] with one of her pet snakes, "Grayscale."

(I've got to admit, the first video, not the second, caused me to have to pick my jaw up off the floor, when it was finished. Didn't make it thru the second one, however.)

CULT.

- Hitch

Date: May 27, 2013 11:40AM

TaitenAndProud
Nobody gave me diddly squat! >:( What makes YOU so special, skunkieboy???

Haha! I'm a YOUTH! That is the only explanation I've got.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.