Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 04, 2013 09:53PM

Spartacus wrote:

Do you think that cults deliberately prod their members to engage in embarrassing, socially unacceptable behaviors (like the wild and ridiculous fist-pumping song leading of NSA YMD, or the dressing-all-the-children in matching uniforms of Quiverfull, or the FLDS dresses (see below)) because doing those things not only ostracizes them from society (and makes them more dependent upon the cult for social support) but also requires a deliberate choice to go with the cult, no matter what, instead of seeing themselves as part of society as a whole?

You have a great username. And your kata demonstrations must may have saved you from harm.

Physical actions, no matter how small have been shown to enhance commitment. Social psychologists have done a lot of published research on this--and for decades. The results have been consistent. We retroactively seek to justify what we did.

Here is a report of one such experiment. And the whole page is worth a read. It was written for persons involved with the LDS.

The LDS (Mormons) may be analogous to SGI in very many ways--except that the SGI is more nakedly greedy and hasnt yet attained respectably from larger society.

[www.rationalrevelation.com]

Experiments

There are two famous experiments that show cognitive dissonance in action.

In the first, students were asked individually to perform a futile repetitious task for several hours. Upon finishing, each student was asked to explain their task to the next "student" (who was actually one of the researchers). They were instructed to introduce the task in positive terms; that it was fun, interesting, and exciting.

One group of students was paid $1 to extol the virtues of the job
Another group was paid $20
A third group was not asked to talk to anyone for any price.

Afterward, all the students were asked to evaluate the experiment on how enjoyable it was (for them).

Those who were paid $1 to "market" the task said they enjoyed it much more than those who had been paid $20 or who had not been asked to talk to anyone.

There are three cognitions interacting in this experiment:

1) The enjoyability of the task
2) The behavior of talking to another student about the task
3) Justification through money.

Nearly everyone hated the task while performing it. **Those who were not asked to lie to other students reflected this feeling on the follow-up survey**. (** by Corboy)

Similarly, the $20 group also stated they did not enjoy themselves. They could justify the act of lying -- they were getting paid. Selling out is good enough justification to tell a white lie for the sake of research, right?

However, those who were paid $1 were in a bit of a bind. They had just lied for practically nothing. (Corboy italics)For them, the path of least resistance involved a slight modification to their cognition -- to convince themselves they did indeed enjoy the task.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 04, 2013 10:08PM

Zeitgeber

This is a term for a cue that affects our body clocks...and our visceral perception of time.

Light is a powerful Zeitgeber, influencing our sleep wake cycles. Being binned up indoors, travelling through multiple time zones can mess this up. But social cues are also important.

At the end of this essay I will place text from a user friendly article on this subject. You all can decide if this applies in any way to what you witnessed in SGI.

If, without our awareness, a group or person (baby, a very demanding boss, new relationship) affects enough of our zeitgebers, our perception of time may be altered and to such a degree that we may lose months or years of our lives in what seems the blink of an eye.

Not all zeitgebers are bad. Many are beneficial. It may be a measure of resilience if we know what zeigebers are and become conscious agents in choosing what kinds of zeitgebers to surround ourselves with.

Because many of us are not aware of their power, all too often advertisers or high demand groups select zeitigebers for us. There may be a pseudointimacy if people share enough of these social cues and in the same pattern.

Years ago, I read a story that I hope, hope was true. So the story went, the author's husband was dying from HIV at the time when no effective treatment was available.

So he and his husband had a quality of life talk. They both loved dogs and decided to get a puppy. So this story went, the sick man fell in love with the little bloke, dragged himself out of bed to walk him, play with him.

He survived long enough to benefit from the first effective protease inhibitor drugs--and years later, they were all together as a family.

If this story is true, bringing the puppy into the family introduced a positive zeitgeber--something that gave a sick man incentive to mobilize his vitality...good in itself and that had the unexpected outcome assisting him to stay on the planet long enough to benefit from an unforseen event in medical history
Facing one has spent a large period of one's life in SGI, lost opportunities and money, may also be something people do not want to face. When we are young, it is nearly impossible to imagine the pain of finding oneself in ones forties or fifties and realizing one has given/lost twenty years to a group one no longer trusts or respects. Many would rather keep doubts below the surface rather than admit this.

And if all more most of ones friends and family are in SGI, leaving is terrifying.

Finally---in SGI, especially long term, one may have learned to measure time differently than in the outside world. One measures time according to devotions, assigned SGI tasks, the SGI events and meetings, the big SGI rallies. This can be a 'wrap around world' with its own way of meauring time.

To leave SGI is to leave that and feel oneself like an alien in another culture?

Here is something mentioned by another person involved with another high demand cult. What jumped out at me is how she had planned beforehand to give six months volunteer time to the Amma organization. She stayed six years.

"When I first started traveling with Amma, I thought it would be, like, six months," a young woman tells me on my second day at the ashram. "That was six years ago." Indeed, I spend three days at the site, a sleep­deprived blur during which time takes on malleable properties.

While waiting for my own hug, I wash dishes and serve food, something all attendees are encouraged to do in order to understand the value of putting others before yourself.

[www.culteducation.com]

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

A zeitgeber is an external cue which influences the operations of the internal clock in an organism. The classical example of a zeitgeber is light, which leads some organisms to wake up, while others go to sleep. An interruption in such cues can confuse an organism, potentially causing health problems and functional difficulties, as demonstrated in numerous studies.

The term was coined in 1954 by Jürgen Aschoff, a German biologist who studied circadian rhythms. In German, “zeitgeber” means “time giver,” so in a sense, you could consider a zeitgeber to be like a natural alarm clock, triggering some sort of change in an organism's internal clock, like a cue to wake up, eat, or engage in various activities.

Light is such a powerful zeitgeber that numerous studies have been carried out on the influences of light over the lives of various organisms. Deprivation of light clearly has an influence on health, as does an excess of light, and many people struggle when they travel across time zones because they receive external cues to wake up or go to sleep at times which feel strange to the body.

Other natural and unnatural phenomena can act as zeitgebers. Many social interactions, for example, can provide cues to the internal clock, as can eating, drinking, using various medications, and taking drugs. In some instances, the body learns to respond to particular events, following patterns established in the past, and in other cases, the body can be tricked into responding, as is sometimes done with prescription medications.

In many cases, a zeitgeber is a naturally occurring cue, and it is part of a complex series of cues used to establish natural rhythms for an organism. For example, people who live with chickens often use roosters as a cue to get up, naturally rising earlier or later in the day throughout the year as roosters crow at different times, depending on when the sunrise is. Roosters actually crow before the sunrise, typically, which may come as a surprise to some people, and the birds have an uncanny ability to recognize the time of sunrise, tending to be very reliable clocks.

Because the internal clock relies on zeitgebers to set itself, a lack of such cues can be very disorienting, which explains why people have trouble sleeping in strange places, or experience a disruption of appetite or personality while traveling. Many such cues are so subtle that people don't realize how influential they are until they are gone

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: April 05, 2013 05:35AM

corboy

Zeitgeber

---in SGI, especially long term, one may have learned to measure time differently than in the outside world. One measures time according to devotions, assigned SGI tasks, the SGI events and meetings, the big SGI rallies. This can be a 'wrap around world' with its own way of meauring time.

To leave SGI is to leave that and feel oneself like an alien in another culture?

You are right on with this Corboy. When I first left the $oka Gakkai high demand schedule, I initially experienced a lot of guilt that somehow I was doing something really bad, by stopping all the cult activities. I remember that "lost" feeling and in some ways not knowing what to do. It passes though and looking back, I think that might have been the most stressful hump to get over and steepest slope for me to climb when I left. And at that time, I was living, breathing and eating gakkai "YOUTH!" activities 5-6 days a week. This was right in the beginning, but the longer you stay away from it, the easier it gets (at least it was that way for me).

Btw, here's a partial list of $oka Gakkai Cult "Significant" dates / activities:

"January
January 2: Daisaku Ikeda's Birthday (1928)
January 26: SGI Day (1975)

February
February 11: Josei Toda's Birthday (1900)
February 16: Nichiren Daishonin's Birthday (1222)
February 27: SGI-USA Women's Day (1990)

March
March 5: Men's Division Founded (1966)
March 14: SGI-USA Jr. High & High School Day (1993)
March 16: SGI Kosen-rufu Day (1958)

April
April 2: Josei Toda's Memorial (1958)
April 24: Soka Justice Day (1979)
April 28: Nichiren Buddhism Established (1253)

May
May 3: Soka Gakkai Day

June
June 6: Tsunesaburo Makiguchi's Birthday (1871)
June 10: Women's Division Founded (1951)
June 30: Student Division Founded (1957)

July
July 3: SGI Day of Mentor and Disciple
July 11: Young Men's Division Founded (1951)
July 16: "On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land" (1260)
July 19: Young Women's Division Founded (1951)

August
August 24: SGI-USA Men's Day
August 24: Daisaku Ikeda Joins the Soka Gakkai (1947)

September
September 5: SGI-USA Youth Day (2003)
September 12: Tatsunokuchi Persecution (1271)

October
October 2: SGI World Peace Day (1960)
October 5: SGI-USA Day (1960)
October 12: Dai-Gohonzon Inscribed (1279)
October 13: Nichiren Daishonin's Memorial (1282)

November
November 18: Tsunesaburo Makiguchi's Memorial (1944)
November 18: Soka Gakkai Established (1930)
November 28: SGI Day of Spiritual Independence (1991)"

I say "partial", because there are a lot of things that are NOT (believe it or not) on this list. For example: Monthly Kosen-Rufu (Cousin Rufus) Gongyo, monthly zadankai (discussion meetings), New Year's Gongyo (prayers), May zaimu ($$$$$) campaign (there were also zaimu drives, big & small, what seemed to me to be every few months, when I was in, it seemed endless sometimes because I hated it), special promotion and planning activities for special events (e.g., Tozan of past, CULTural festivals, FNCC cult retreat of today), "Leader's" meetings, "YOUTH!" meetings, chanting tosos, practice meetings for monthly zandankai or Cousin Rufus skits, "YOUTH!" practices (brass band, kotekitai), "YOUTH!" gajokai (staffing community centers), $oka-Han (traffic & event control), etc., etc, etc..

I'm sure there is even more I'm forgetting.

And let me tell you, back when I was in, those New Year's Gongyos were sometimes held TWICE, once at the local temple (at midnight!) and again during a regular day at a gakkai community center. I remember lots of "members" who never came to any other activities all year long, would often get dragged out for at least the New Year's gongyo events, so there was always at least that thread keeping them "connected", or as Corboy has shared, that last vestige of gakkai cult zeitgeber, never completely letting some people get away.

- Hitch

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: April 05, 2013 07:01AM

Was it a couple of years ago that they made a celebration out of the anniversary of Ikeda's visit to Harvard University to give a speech? 20th year since? Ikeda + speech in front of people + world peace as subject + Prestigious Harvard....it looks good and typical show of Gakkai 'greatness'. Small rented room + Ikeda not actually invited by Harvard University + not many Buddhist scholars present + members of cult not invited + so what?
Its like the usual - A few seconds of movie film at an airport, waving from a limo, camera flashes set to maximum speed by hired 'reporters' probably not even taking pictures. Such pomp and circumstance.

Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: April 05, 2013 07:49AM

Don't forget the August Shakubuku Campaigns!! They've no doubt taken away the capital letters, but there's still that emphasis - "August has always been the month of shakubuku campaigns" O_O

And in February, there will be the Women's Division General Meetings, and, of course, there will need to be several planning meetings for that. The push for that typically starts in early January. Plus there's a gosho study every month, too.

And how could you forget New Year's Gongyo?????

Just a few >.<

Posted by: sleepy skunk ()
Date: April 05, 2013 08:28AM

Between zeitgebers and being discouraged from using critical thinking, it's no wonder people are as screwed up while in the org as they are. This seems like a good explanation of why people are so obviously sick and tired while in the org. The whole practice seems set up as a series of zeitgebers. Until now I didn't have a term for it, but is definitely something visible from the outside and even on the inside, as was my experience.

It might be interesting to find how many people in SGI use sleep medications or others to try to regulate what their own bodies can't any more. If you could find out from members and leaders, find who takes more, what medications are discouraged if any (ie: sleep medications, antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzodiazepines, illegal drugs, etc) like Scientology does but more covertly.

I may be off quite a bit, but I'm just trying to formulate an idea of what it is that goes on in the practice that keeps people hooked in who are obviously suffering from being in it at the same time. The more I study the more I can see why addicts seem to be common in SGI. They're like helpless babies. No wonder they keep up with the infantile regressive behavior.

I do know one thing, no more books, no more magazines, no more rituals, no more chanting for me. I'm not getting sucked back in and there is nothing they can do about that. And no I'm not giving anything for fricken May contributions or any other excuse to take what isn't theirs to take.

corboy

"When I first started traveling with Amma, I thought it would be, like, six months," a young woman tells me on my second day at the ashram. "That was six years ago." Indeed, I spend three days at the site, a sleep­deprived blur during which time takes on malleable properties.

While waiting for my own hug, I wash dishes and serve food, something all attendees are encouraged to do in order to understand the value of putting others before yourself.
This sounds like the FNCC, Trets retreats, SGI sponsored trips to Japan, etc to a tee doesn't it? It also explains what has been mentioned as ridiculous hours or travel to WPG and other mass events.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 08:33AM by sleepy skunk.

Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: April 05, 2013 09:43AM

Hitch
there was always at least that thread keeping them "connected", or as Corboy has shared, that last vestige of gakkai cult zeitgeber, never completely letting some people get away.
- Hitch

The SG cult (aka dog the bounty hunter) will make every effort to track you down and bring you back if they consider you a valuable asset.

During my very first attempted escape from the cult, I left Dallas to get away from the cult.org. I moved about 70 miles south to stay (hide) way out in the country at my brother's place. I had only been there about 5 or 6 days when, low and behold, I looked up to see my senior leader's car coming down the long dirt drive. Even though I was way off the beaten track, somehow they had still managed to find where I was staying, and had miraculously (luckily) stumbled down all the correct back roads and turns.

In the car was Mrs. Vaden (senior leader for all of Texas, and Pat Reeves, my chapter YMD leader. I bolted like a rabbit toward the creek, my heart pounding with fear. I ran as hard and fast as I could, deep into the woods, and hid myself, hoping to wait them out. Darkness fell. I had no flashlight, coat, water, or food. Around midnight, the moon came up and I made my way back through the woods to the house. Their car was still there! Damn! They had managed to worm their way inside the house, and had started a daimoku toso in front of my alter. My brother came outside looking for me. He asked me to please go inside and deal with the "crazy" people keeping him awake, leaving me with little choice. Now I would have to go inside and face the invaders who were tormenting my family in an effort to get to me.

It only took about an hour for Vaden to talk me into returning to Dallas with her. This had been my very first attempt at leaving the cult. I knew I wanted out, but she very effectively worked my confusion, guilt, and fears against me. I believe the reason I had ran and hid in the woods was because I knew that I would not be able to withstand Vaden's "suggestions" and would become psychologically kidnapped if she got even half a chance to talk to me. And I was right, for she was a master manipulator from cult hell.

But I learned from my mistakes. The second time I "ran away" from the cult, about a month or so later, I moved completely out of the state to Florida so they couldn't track me down. Of course, they did make quite an effort to "recover" me. Somehow, HQ in LA had gotten my mom's phone number (she was remarried - no longer had the same last name) and began a campaign of phone harrassment. They would call her everyday to ask about my whereabouts. Finally, she told HQ to piss off, that even if she did know my location, she would never tell them (bless you, Mom!)

Over three years passed and I had finally gotten on with my life. Then, while living in San Antonio, I had met a Japanese WD member. Naturally, she was very friendly to me, and stopped by the house once in a while to talk. She was never pushy. But one day she come by and caught me in a slump. I was feeling a bit depressed about my failing marriage. As we talked through the screen door (I had never invited her inside before) she asked "are you okay?" Well, no I wasn't okay, and I made the tragic mistake of opening up to what seemed to be a very caring person. But she was a cult member, and her main objective was getting me back into the cult. In that moment of weakness, I promised her that I would chant more and even agreed to go to a cult meeting. I mistakenly thought I had become strong enough to resist, but I was still cult-addicted. And so began my second phase (positionless leader) of SGcult association. I would wind up chanting to turn around this failing relationship for another 11 years before finally waking up and realizing that chanting would never save my marriage.

To those who are considering leaving, or have already left the SGcult, bewarned. They may not come after you as hard as they came after me. But rest assured, they will come after you. Sooner or later. Again and again. Resist! Rebel! Fight for your life! Your doubts and misgivings are justified. Don't let them fool you AGAIN! They want you and they want your money! Don't give in! KEEP THAT DOOR CLOSED!!!

Spartacus

Date: April 05, 2013 10:08AM

rattyboy
Was it a couple of years ago that they made a celebration out of the anniversary of Ikeda's visit to Harvard University to give a speech? 20th year since? Ikeda + speech in front of people + world peace as subject + Prestigious Harvard....it looks good and typical show of Gakkai 'greatness'. Small rented room + Ikeda not actually invited by Harvard University + not many Buddhist scholars present + members of cult not invited + so what?
Its like the usual - A few seconds of movie film at an airport, waving from a limo, camera flashes set to maximum speed by hired 'reporters' probably not even taking pictures. Such pomp and circumstance.

HAHA! What they are REALLY celebrating is Ikeda sneaking into the backdoor of a "Harvard" basement room to give a quick reading of a pre-prepared gibberish speech. The most important thing there was the huge sign behind him with "HARVARD" written across it and getting his photo taken. Boy, the cult org. has certainly milked that one for every last drop it can squeeze out of it.

You know, I even hate to admit it and have to give credit to such a person, but Ikeda did get the best of "Harvard" on that one. He certainly is one slick bastard, I'll give him that much.

I wonder if The Dear Leader is actually delusional enough that he himself eventually starts to believe the manufactured and crafted myth surrounding him. I bet he does.

- Hitch

Date: April 05, 2013 10:18AM

TaitenAndProud

Don't forget the August Shakubuku Campaigns!! They've no doubt taken away the capital letters, but there's still that emphasis - "August has always been the month of shakubuku campaigns" O_O

And in February, there will be the Women's Division General Meetings, and, of course, there will need to be several planning meetings for that. The push for that typically starts in early January. Plus there's a gosho study every month, too.

And how could you forget New Year's Gongyo?????

Just a few >.<

I did mention the New Year's gongyos. The temple drum during daimoku, was a classic. If you mention that to current day gakkers, it's like throwing a cross up in front of them. They recoil and shout out, "OOOHHH (!), that's the temple chant, NOOOOOO (!!)" It's hilarious how easily things change for them.

SHAKUBUKU month = OH YEAH!!! Those where some INSANE times! I remember those specific times as when the pioneering Japanese WD were especially all wigged and stressed out, going completely bonkers. I always enjoyed THAT show!!

- Hitch

Date: April 05, 2013 10:31AM

Spartacus
To those who are considering leaving, or have already left the SGcult, bewarned. They may not come after you as hard as they came after me. But rest assured, they will come after you. Sooner or later. Again and again. Resist! Rebel! Fight for your life! Your doubts and misgivings are justified. Don't let them fool you AGAIN! They want you and they want your money! Don't give in! KEEP THAT DOOR CLOSED!!!

Spartacus

Wow! What a journey Spartacus! Incredible.

I still run into gakkai cult members from time to time, I have no problem with them or resisting. I can still push their buttons and parrot the cult speak easily. To be honest, I view them as some people might a bad car accident. I'm fascinated and yet repulsed at the same time. I can't help it. For enough money, or the right cult expose project, I could easily re-infiltrate and go undercover (hidden camera and the whole nine yards) - it wouldn't be hard for me.

I can hear them now, . . . . "AAHHH (!), Hitch is back (!!), I KNEW you were just sleeping and would reawaken someday, . . . . "Welcome Home (!!!)"

Hitch's response: "YEAH (!), it's been a while . . . . . LET'S CHANT!!!!" "Where's my Ikeda picture?!?!?!"

;-))

- Hitch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.