Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: March 26, 2013 12:31PM

TaitenAndProud
Here, finally, are pictures of my other two butsudans!

The real color is like a black cherry - it's not red-red like some of those pics show it, but rather more of a dark, warm cherry.[/quote
]

That is a beautiful piece of furniture, Taiten. In the old days, I would have been green with envy at such a wonderful butsudan, but no more. I had a fairly nice medium sized one with double doors that I was very proud of at the time, but I always lusted for a bigger better box (oh come on, you know what I mean - LOL) . But now these wooden boxes no longer hold any facination or awe for me, and the same goes with the paper scroll that is treated like a living god. It is sick and disgusting to see culties having all this reverence for an object while treating real live human beings so badly. The garage is an appropiate and proper place for a relic of cult religion.

Spartacus

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: March 26, 2013 12:58PM

I want to share two videos about the true nature of religion and cults.

These videos “The Root of All Evil” [www.youtube.com] and “Viruses of the Mind” [www.youtube.com] are primarily about Christianity, but the same principles easily apply to any religion or cult, and their methods and techniques operate alike as well. The comparision of religion to a virus is spot on. Judge for yourself.

At 22:50 in the first video, you can hear the song chorus lyrics being sung, “…higher than the sky”. Christians and Buddhists both sing the same words, clearly demonstrating how there is often barely a shred of difference between cults!

“Higher Than The Sky”. Some of you old-timers like me will never forget this turd of a gakkai cult song with its opening line, “together always we must fight!” Ugh! Some things are just universal in cults – like the call to violence, sometimes subliminal - sometimes not so much. Oh yeah, what about that line, “tomorrow’s golden dreams”? Didn't happen? Never mind folks, now open up your checkbooks, its zaimu time again!

Singing (or hearing) that cult crap had nothing to do with Buddhism. It was all about indoctrination through emotional manipulation and hyper stimulation. That’s what all that stupid arm flailing (song leading) was really about of course.

I absolutely hated having to stand up and lead songs, especially doing so in a full out cult “gakkai style”. But I really dreaded “Higher”, because it always included the asinine cult competition requiring one to flail their arm back and forth, ridiculously increasing the speed and violent bodily contortions with each chorus. All that arm slinging effectively blocked the brain’s rational abilities with adrenalin and testosterone. It also provided a perfect opportunity to stand a bit too close to a sweaty and smelly YMD, well ripened by a day of frantic cult activity in the blistering Texas heat.

And if you were really lucky, you might get an extra dose of pungent BO at the end of the meeting, as everyone made a circle and joined arms to profess their unbounded love of the phantom leader. Hey, if you’re asking to have somebody be your master, then don’t be too surprised at discovering yourself having become a slave.

Master, mentor, sensei – no matter which name is used the meaning remains the same. Becoming a student or disciple to a master requires unquestioning obedience, respect, and loyalty. Like a good slave, you must do as the massa say, and be happy about it, too.

Here's some quotes from the producer of the above videos, Richard Dawkins of Oxford University and author of “The God Delusion”:

“People lean on their faith as a crutch, but I fear the comfort it provides is a shallow pretense.”

“The suspension of disbelief inherent in (religious) faith can lead to far more dangerous ideas beyond.”

“Religion thrives on unsolved mystery.”

“It would be unfair to pick on the Catholics – all religions are up to the same tricks.”

And just one more from Senaca (ca. 4 BC –AD 65) - one of my favorites:

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."

Spartacus

Posted by: holly_golightly ()
Date: March 26, 2013 02:27PM

TaitenAndProud

So I bought these two (got them for a really good price) but I hadn't hung them up yet when my Chapter WD leader decided to pay me a home visit. "Your home has such a lovely warm feel about it," she said. "It would be a shame for it to get a dark or even sinister atmosphere." What she was referring to was the hocus-pocus supernatural woo that, if I had these "heretical objects" on the premises, there would be a gloomy feeling of foreboding about my living space. You know, from the eeeEEEeevil of the "wrong" gohonzons! What the silly cow didn't realize was that the "heretical objects" were already there! So much for her supernatural radar *eye roll*

I also had some very superstitous leaders, even though we were constantly being told that this buddhism is all about common sense, cause and effect, how this practice is positively scientific, and certainly not supposed to be about magic and superstition. Indeed, it is a practice for the 21st century!

This used to confuse me greatly and when I was depth of my delusion I thought that maybe these leaders had increased their life state so much from chanting that they must live on a different plane from me, and that I would be able to reach this level if I did enough chanting, activities, singing, home visiting, etc, etc - HA.

An example of this is of a senior leader who was talking about one of our men's division who used lecture in study sessions. The lectures he delivered were rather frowned upon by the senior leaders and for some reason I became privy to this (I was a very obedient district leader at this point). I wasn't sure why the powers that be didn't like his lectures (which were very interesting and entertaining) but looking back I can see that he wasn't a fan of Ikeda.

However, when this leader explained to me why they thinking of preventing him from any more lecturing, one of the reasons she gave was that she could tell that he hadn't chanted enough before giving his lecture the other day and therefore his life condition was low, and we have to protect the members from negativity, etc, etc. I wondered how she could tell that he hadn't chanted enough and indeed, what 'enough' would be defined as in her opinion - he seemed fine to me. It made me rather paranoid - that she would be able to tell if I had skipped gongyo merely by sensing my life state with her highly elevated enlightened condition - lol.

It certainly reinforced the idea that chanting is somehow magical and that if I didn't chant I would be consumed by fundamental darkness and become evil.

Now that I am out of all this madness I can see clearly that its all about the power of suggestion and what would suit that particular person's agenda. It certainly suited these leaders to convince themselves that this person was not chanting enough and therefore his life condition was low. However (as usual) in the same breath we would receive guidance that the amount of chanting a person should do, should be their personal preference and suited to their life circumstances, once again - double speak - do what we say/do what is right for you.

I would love to do an experiment sometime and tell an SGI member that I have been chanting 3 hours a day for the last 3 weeks. I swear (once they have got over their annoyance for me disappearing for so long) they would probably say something along the lines of that they could see/feel my high life state.

If I bumped into the same member and just told them that I was simply happy without chanting they wouldn't believe it, no matter what brilliant circumstances I was experiencing in my life and how smiley I was. They would probably think I was in denial and pity me.

Equally if I was feeling in the depth of a depression and hadn't slept for days but said I had just chanted for 7 hours I would probably get the comment on my shining life force.

It makes me annoyed with my earlier self for being so driven by fear and so easily led - always doing the 10 hours chanting beforehand if I was a moderating a discussion meeting (that is the guidance in the UK) otherwise - horror of horrors I might be in the dreaded low condition and infect people with my fundamental darkness. But the positive thing about having once been like this means that I can be very wary of any superstitious thinking that comes my way now.

Sorry, if I have gone off on a tangent T&P, but your comments reminded me of the depth of superstition prevalent in this organisation and the hypocrisy with which they conduct themselves in their PR exercises for the outside world. If these people from outside who view the SGI as a peaceful, positive organisation, really knew how much fear and psychological manipulation takes place they would have a very different perspective. However, the experiences that we ex-members have described on this forum are not easily expressed in a few slick catchphrases and platitudes, such as the methods used by the SGI to promote themselves.

Have more superstitous experiences to relate concerning gohonzons but brain is foggy now - its too early in the UK!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 02:31PM by holly_golightly.

Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: March 26, 2013 03:12PM

I always lusted for a bigger better box (oh come on, you know what I mean - LOL)

I do.

But now these wooden boxes no longer hold any facination or awe for me, and the same goes with the paper scroll that is treated like a living god.

Me neither. Paper and wood and glue. Wood and varnish and pot metal and (possibly) plastic as well.

Just *stuff*.

It is sick and disgusting to see culties having all this reverence for an object while treating real live human beings so badly. The garage is an appropiate and proper place for a relic of cult religion.

The house is for people and beloved animals and what is useful to them. Everything else can be stored in the garage. Let those who are still in thrall to the organization's brainwashing be repelled by the dust on my butsudans and the fact that my gohonzon sits, neglected, in a corner of my garage. If the SGI-USA wants to buy it back from me, they can have it. I think $40 is a fair price. No offers as yet, though :/

Sure, some will say it's a manifestation of my fundamental lack of respect for myself, but I can tell you, from the authoritative perspective from within my own skin, that I have far more respect for myself and far more regard for every facet of my life NOW than I did while I was a slave to superstition.

You get it, Spartacus. I knew you would.

Singing (or hearing) that cult crap had nothing to do with Buddhism. It was all about indoctrination through emotional manipulation and hyper stimulation.

Ad agencies have known since ad agencies came into being that *song* is the most effective way to make something memorable. Think of your favorite ad jingles: "Plop plop fizz fizz Oh what a relief it is" or perhaps "My baloney has a first name - it's I-K-E-D-A" *snork*

Why do you suppose hymns are standard parts of the Christian worship service? It's to enslave everyone's minds! "Jesus loves me, this I know!" Really??? Why do you suppose "Higher Than The Sky" still rings in your ears?? It's because our brains are attuned to music and rhythm - THAT's how they drive you. That's the steering wheel. That's why, after all these years, after all this progress, you *still* remember those nonsensical lyrics. They know. That's why they put their slop to music - to *force* you to remember it! You can't help it, and they know it!

There's a good reason why Richard Dawkins is hated by so many Christians - and why he is so well-regarded by so many non-Christians.

I also had some very superstitous leaders, even though we were constantly being told that this buddhism is all about common sense, cause and effect, how this practice is positively scientific, and certainly not supposed to be about magic and superstition. Indeed, it is a practice for the 21st century!

I know it! Talk about double-speak!! They don't really mean all that "common sense" and "scientific" stuff O_O

You know, the Dalai Lama has some very sensible things to say. Bring him up and watch the Gakkai leadership stop breathing >.<

Sorry, if I have gone off on a tangent T&P, but your comments reminded me of the depth of superstition prevalent in this organisation and the hypocrisy with which they conduct themselves in their PR exercises for the outside world. If these people from outside who view the SGI as a peaceful, positive organisation, really knew how much fear and psychological manipulation takes place they would have a very different perspective. However, the experiences that we ex-members have described on this forum are not easily expressed in a few slick catchphrases and platitudes, such as the methods used by the SGI to promote themselves.

Have more superstitous experiences to relate concerning gohonzons but brain is foggy now - its too early in the UK!
No, not at all! It's *all* good!! Everything is relevant, and it's all well-knit together in an elegant tapestry of sophistry and fail!!

Some of the most effective "experiences" were the "Weekly World News"-esque "experiences". Weekly World News - source of "Bat Boy": [en.wikipedia.org] My favorite:

"A YWD in Japan wanted to marry a millionaire. No - a BILLIONAIRE! So she chanted for TWENTY YEARS, and she *married* a billionaire!!" The "second-thought-ish" "No - a BILLIONAIRE" is part of the charade. And this fictional YWD is never given a name - we're never given the name of her purported "billionaire" husband - we never even get a clue as to where this all went down! It's just like all those silly urban legends about this or that fatuous incident "Sure it happened!!!"

Yeah, right. "SHE" married "A BILLIONAIRE". Unless we're talking Kaneko Ikeda, it never happened O_O

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: March 26, 2013 03:14PM

holly_golightly
If these people from outside who view the SGI as a peaceful, positive organisation, really knew how much fear and psychological manipulation takes place they would have a very different perspective. However, the experiences that we ex-members have described on this forum are not easily expressed in a few slick catchphrases and platitudes, such as the methods used by the SGI to promote themselves.

Perfectly stated and I agree 100%. The gakkai cult org. breaks every single one of its lofty charter precepts, in some form, in reality. It's absolutely disgusting hypocrisy.

- Hitch

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: March 26, 2013 03:36PM

Spartacus
I want to share two videos about the true nature of religion and cults.

These videos “The Root of All Evil” [www.youtube.com] and “Viruses of the Mind” [www.youtube.com] are primarily about Christianity, but the same principles easily apply to any religion or cult, and their methods and techniques operate alike as well. The comparision of religion to a virus is spot on. Judge for yourself.

At 22:50 in the first video, you can hear the song chorus lyrics being sung, “…higher than the sky”. Christians and Buddhists both sing the same words, clearly demonstrating how there is often barely a shred of difference between cults!

“Higher Than The Sky”. Some of you old-timers like me will never forget this turd of a gakkai cult song with its opening line, “together always we must fight!” Ugh! Some things are just universal in cults – like the call to violence, sometimes subliminal - sometimes not so much. Oh yeah, what about that line, “tomorrow’s golden dreams”? Didn't happen? Never mind folks, now open up your checkbooks, its zaimu time again!

Singing (or hearing) that cult crap had nothing to do with Buddhism. It was all about indoctrination through emotional manipulation and hyper stimulation. That’s what all that stupid arm flailing (song leading) was really about of course.

I absolutely hated having to stand up and lead songs, especially doing so in a full out cult “gakkai style”. But I really dreaded “Higher”, because it always included the asinine cult competition requiring one to flail their arm back and forth, ridiculously increasing the speed and violent bodily contortions with each chorus. All that arm slinging effectively blocked the brain’s rational abilities with adrenalin and testosterone. It also provided a perfect opportunity to stand a bit too close to a sweaty and smelly YMD, well ripened by a day of frantic cult activity in the blistering Texas heat.

And if you were really lucky, you might get an extra dose of pungent BO at the end of the meeting, as everyone made a circle and joined arms to profess their unbounded love of the phantom leader. Hey, if you’re asking to have somebody be your master, then don’t be too surprised at discovering yourself having become a slave.

Master, mentor, sensei – no matter which name is used the meaning remains the same. Becoming a student or disciple to a master requires unquestioning obedience, respect, and loyalty. Like a good slave, you must do as the massa say, and be happy about it, too.

Here's some quotes from the producer of the above videos, Richard Dawkins of Oxford University and author of “The God Delusion”:

“People lean on their faith as a crutch, but I fear the comfort it provides is a shallow pretense.”

“The suspension of disbelief inherent in (religious) faith can lead to far more dangerous ideas beyond.”

“Religion thrives on unsolved mystery.”

“It would be unfair to pick on the Catholics – all religions are up to the same tricks.”

And just one more from Senaca (ca. 4 BC –AD 65) - one of my favorites:

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."

Spartacus

Love Dawkins' documentaries. Am very familiar with them. I've posted this one before, but here it is again [www.youtube.com] (Slaves To Superstition). The very beginning introduction has people chanting the magic NMRK words. Dawkins' reaction is priceless. It's exactly how I feel about it all now, too.

Btw, Pastor Ted, in the "Root Of All Evil" clip, same 22:00 min. mark area, had a fall from grace after being caught out gay, lying and making national headlines. But you know what, the guy was forgiven and has his church and flock back now. Just goes to show you, some people will never learn, no matter what.

"Higher Than The Sky", HAHA! I've lead that gakkai cult song, too. Have played it, literally, thousands of times. Sometimes, we had to play the thing over and over and over again, dozens upon dozens of times, at big gakkai cult meetings / rallies to keep the crowd juiced up and excited (for example, during the intermission) - that was the expressed goal told to us. Play your lungs out and give it all over to Cousin Rufus, keep those members pumped up!

That first quote, “People lean on their faith as a crutch, but I fear the comfort it provides is a shallow pretense.” - is wonderful. That's exactly how I feel about it, too.

- Hitch

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 26, 2013 09:45PM

Taiten, your daughter's hina dolls are perfect inside that part of the butsudan.

They look like lords and ladies in the room of a palace. Just like in a screen painting.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 26, 2013 10:04PM

Nichiren Daishonin never used a Butsudan. He tacked his literally [now] priceless Shutei Gohonzon directly to the hut wall in Minobu. The SGI and NST people are all about money, materiality, and show.

Nichijew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 10:05PM by Nichijew.

Date: March 27, 2013 01:44AM

Say, something I discovered when I bought that lot of 3 gohonzons is that the present SGI gohonzon, the one with the green background (to replace the eeeEEEeevil and naughty Nikken-signed one with the brown background), is just a little *LARGER* than the older ones! So when I gave the small butsudan to my friend, her gohonzon was a bit too long! We made it fit by rolling it up a little at the top and bottom, but it struck me - was this a ploy to make people buy new butsudans, too??

Say, does anyone know why the SGI is now calling its "community centers" "BUDDHIST Centers" now? They always steered well clear of the word "Buddhism" on the property signs before. Granted, it's an improvement over the "Community Centers" - nobody from the community ever wanted to go there! But they're no more "Buddhist Centers" than they were "Community Centers" LOL!!

Date: March 27, 2013 02:33AM

Also, we don't really know anything about the Daishonin's supposed accommodations on Minobu or how he displayed his gohonzon(s). The fact that he supposedly attained enlightenment without any gohonzons having yet been made says it all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.