Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: February 07, 2013 05:39AM

holly_golightly
At this point the report states that the SGI leadership from Japan came over

holly_golightly
IMO there was a lot of fear installed in the UK leadership at that time from Japan,

This is absolutely 100% correct. The international cult org. leaders (in the U.S.) live in fear of the biwigs from the motherland. I saw it firsthand with Williams and Mr. Wada (Ikeda's right hand man who came over to crack the whip for sensei). Whenever an Ikeda appointee came over from Japan, I noticed that that was the only time in the USA Cult Org. that you could sit back and watch all the "senior salaried US leadership" turn into ordinary "members" just like the rest of us sheep. They would sweat, be nervous, stand straighter, move faster, be on extra good / strict behavior and be ready to say "How high?" if asked to jump by anyone from Japan.

The "translator lady" (that's what I always called her) was the same lady pretty much all through the 80's. I've forgotten her name, but I do know she's a hardcore 100% dyed in the wool Ikeda-bot. I remember a meeting in Santa Monica (WCC) where she was the focus of one of the "experiences" or guidance sessions and they told a drama-like story about how it was her lifelong dream since she was a little girl to be the "official" translator for The Dear Leader. It was supposedly a highly coveted and competitive "position" that many (young?) women aspired to. It was the typical generic story of somebody struggling with their studies (in her case language studies) and overcoming it all by "going to the gohonzon", chanting and embedding "sensei's spirit" into their heart, blah-blah-blah. Long story, short, she got it and was living THE dream. Meeting was closed with the carrot that any of the YWD in the room (very sexist) should strive for the same attitude in their practice to serve the cult org. and receive the same results.

In relaying the above "translator" story, it just made me remember that there was a lot of hardcore indoctrination going on at the Santa Monica WCC (National HQ) meetings. I also just now remembered a soka-han / gajokai meeting where "protecting the gohonzon" was the focus. Apparently, somebody, somewhere (I'm not even sure if this is true or made up by the cult org.), a deranged member, walked up to one of the gohonzons in one of the kaikans and proceeded to rip it up. Ever since then, all of the bustudans everywhere in the cult org. centers suddenly had special locking glass doors that enclosed and protected the gohonzons. The WCC had some uber-special joju (high priest inscribed) gohonzons that had to be protected at all costs. The implication was made that soka-han or gajokai had to be ready to lay down their life in defense of the paper scrolls, if need be. I kid you not. (These, btw, are the same gohonzons that the cult org. replaced after the excommunication, because they suddenly lost their magic powers.)

Looking back, the kind of stuff that they were feeding our heads, was just plain ridiculous. Hardcore manipulation of the YMD, to make kamikaze-like gakkai Ikeda-bots.

- Hitch

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: February 07, 2013 06:16AM

Apparently, somebody, somewhere (I'm not even sure if this is true or made up by the cult org.), a deranged member, walked up to one of the gohonzons in one of the kaikans and proceeded to rip it up.
I remember when I was working the front desk at the Minneapolis/St. Paul kaikan, since I was a byakuren, I think it must have been on a Sunday or something - a meeting of some sort had just broken up, and this guy walked in, rather ordinary looking, kind of fuzzy reddish-brown hair, slightly chubby, but it was so long ago that I wouldn't recognize him if I ever saw him again, and all of a sudden, all the WD who were there were all nervous and alert. One of them whispered to me that, some time ago, he'd ripped up a joju gohonzon.

Which now seems a bit odd - I had helped *build* (or, rather, refit) that kaikan, and I'd been there for the enshrinement, so it wasn't THAT kaikan's joju gohonzon - and that was the first kaikan in that whole area! The next closest kaikan was in Chicago! So now I don't know *what* they were on about. Could this have been a performance for my benefit and, by extension, for the byakuren they could count on me recounting this incident to? That wouldn't have surprised me. This was in about 1989 or so. Such tales have their usefulness...

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: February 07, 2013 09:12AM

TaitenAndProud

Btw, in Japan, amongst non-gakkai ordinary citizens, it is often shared as to whether or not other people (strangers who one has just met) are "gakkai" or not. If somebody *is*, they generally go out of their way to try to avoid them and have any unnecessary interactions with them in everyday life. Let us not forget, Japan is also the land where Cousin Rufus has supposedly officially achieved some of the greatest heights anywhere on the planet earth. - Hitch
We're starting to see the same reaction against Evangelical Christians and Mormons. And they've *earned* it - in spades. Any group so arrogant, so preening, so contemptuous of others, and so clannish (will only be friends with members of their church) really should not expect society at large to treat them so much more generously and magnanimously than they're willing to treat anyone else.

Jehovah Witnesses too. Just about anybody who disturbs the sanctity of your home to "save" you because they have the truth and you don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 09:14AM by Freeheartandmind.

Date: February 07, 2013 09:47AM

The Cult Org. propagandizing the "fortune baby" angle. This pandering cult-speak word is really only ever used on the inside of the cult org..

"I was born into this practice, but didn't appreciate it until I was an adult." (Paraphrased.)

[www.youtube.com]

All of his "benefit" could have come about with a little self-reflection and effort in self-improvement, with or without the cult org. practice. It's not necessary to hand over your successes in life to the cult org.. I'm happy for the guy, but attributing everything to the cult is just confirmation bias delusion, IMO.

Being "Buddhist In America." Ikeda is nowhere to be found or mentioned at all in the clip. Interesting, isn't it. Perhaps a better, more honest title should be, "Being An Ikedian In America."

Playing on people's fears and insecurities, hijacking the fruits of their own hard work and success in life, in short, psychological manipulation = Pseudo-buddhist $oka Gakkai Ikeda Cult Org..

I was born into the practice, but as an adult, I was able to see it for what it was.

In other words, [www.davidicke.com].

Oh, and btw, notice how he came to this "realization" after attending the FNCC (Gakkai Cult Org. retreat). This is another cult org. manipulation carrot. Go the cult retreat center and make a "breakthrough" in your life and practice. What a lovely coincidence.

- Hitch

Date: February 07, 2013 02:20PM

Some (brainwashed) words of "wisdom" and genius independent thought examples by $GI Vice-General Director, Ethan Gelbaum (based in New York / New Jersey) -

Japan is devastated by a 8.9 magnitude earthquake, followed by a 4 meter tsunami, 16,000+ people die and Ethan urgently reports his main #1 worry and concern:

"From Ethan Gelbaum

I would like to report that we received a report from Japan that the area around the Soka Gakkai Headquarters in Toyko is ok and that Sensei is safe. We do not have any reports yet about the people in northern Japan where the Tsunami hit.
" - To The Glory Spirit Group on Facebook.

And ...

Follow The Mentor,

"Just yesterday I got this letter from Ethan Gelbaum of the Northeast
Zone:

"One key element in ensuring that you will win in every aspect of
your life is to make a life to life connection with our mentor, SGI
President Daisaku Ikeda."

"This letter also included this note:

"The local french bakery Cafe at the corner of 15th and 5th ave [near
the kaikan] is giving a 20% discount to all members when they show
their World Tribune discount card! Kosen-rufu is really on the way!"
" - From SokaGakkaiUnofficial Yahoo Groups.

Love that last bit. Mmm-Hmm.

Stunning display of a $oka cult leader's mind at work.

- Hitch

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: February 07, 2013 11:36PM

Hitch
holly_golightly
At this point the report states that the SGI leadership from Japan came over

holly_golightly
IMO there was a lot of fear installed in the UK leadership at that time from Japan,

This is absolutely 100% correct. The international cult org. leaders (in the U.S.) live in fear of the biwigs from the motherland. I saw it firsthand with Williams and Mr. Wada (Ikeda's right hand man who came over to crack the whip for sensei). Whenever an Ikeda appointee came over from Japan, I noticed that that was the only time in the USA Cult Org. that you could sit back and watch all the "senior salaried US leadership" turn into ordinary "members" just like the rest of us sheep. They would sweat, be nervous, stand straighter, move faster, be on extra good / strict behavior and be ready to say "How high?" if asked to jump by anyone from Japan.

The "translator lady" (that's what I always called her) was the same lady pretty much all through the 80's. I've forgotten her name, but I do know she's a hardcore 100% dyed in the wool Ikeda-bot. I remember a meeting in Santa Monica (WCC) where she was the focus of one of the "experiences" or guidance sessions and they told a drama-like story about how it was her lifelong dream since she was a little girl to be the "official" translator for The Dear Leader. It was supposedly a highly coveted and competitive "position" that many (young?) women aspired to. It was the typical generic story of somebody struggling with their studies (in her case language studies) and overcoming it all by "going to the gohonzon", chanting and embedding "sensei's spirit" into their heart, blah-blah-blah. Long story, short, she got it and was living THE dream. Meeting was closed with the carrot that any of the YWD in the room (very sexist) should strive for the same attitude in their practice to serve the cult org. and receive the same results.

In relaying the above "translator" story, it just made me remember that there was a lot of hardcore indoctrination going on at the Santa Monica WCC (National HQ) meetings. I also just now remembered a soka-han / gajokai meeting where "protecting the gohonzon" was the focus. Apparently, somebody, somewhere (I'm not even sure if this is true or made up by the cult org.), a deranged member, walked up to one of the gohonzons in one of the kaikans and proceeded to rip it up. Ever since then, all of the bustudans everywhere in the cult org. centers suddenly had special locking glass doors that enclosed and protected the gohonzons. The WCC had some uber-special joju (high priest inscribed) gohonzons that had to be protected at all costs. The implication was made that soka-han or gajokai had to be ready to lay down their life in defense of the paper scrolls, if need be. I kid you not. (These, btw, are the same gohonzons that the cult org. replaced after the excommunication, because they suddenly lost their magic powers.)

Looking back, the kind of stuff that they were feeding our heads, was just plain ridiculous. Hardcore manipulation of the YMD, to make kamikaze-like gakkai Ikeda-bots.

- Hitch

"Protecting" them of course until they unceremoniously burned all the community center Nittatsu and Nikken Gohonzons after the split. Those who remain in the cult to the end will have led their lives in vain.

N

Posted by: leeduffield ()
Date: February 08, 2013 01:33AM

Nichiren said 'Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself.'Surely then all this tripe about authentic vs inauthentic scrolls is moot at best and superstitious nonsense at worst. Glad to be out once again.

Date: February 08, 2013 05:35AM

Nichiren said 'Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself.'Surely then all this tripe about authentic vs inauthentic scrolls is moot at best and superstitious nonsense at worst. Glad to be out once again. - leeduffield
This, BTW, is one of the pieces of evidence used by other Nichiren sects who claim that the Dai-Gohonzon is an artefact made by Nikko and his followers to solidify their claims of authority. This sort of thing happens *all the time* - look at the Catholic Church's history with "relics"! Seven different skulls for John the Baptist, including one from when he was a child (!), and a doctrine that evidence of a relic's authenticity is its ability to replicate itself!! YIPPEE!!

So anyhow, let's look at the "facts" as they have been presented to us. Nichiren dies, leaving behind 6 senior priests. Now, I ask you - IF the Dai-Gohonzon *had* existed, it would have been regarded as the most important object in the entire Nichiren school, because that was supposedly why Nichiren inscribed it, wasn't it? So how do you suppose li'l ol' Nikko could have managed to just *walk off with it*, when there were FIVE other senior priests who would have wanted to keep it *right there*??? We don't hear that Nikko snuck off with it under cover of darkness, do we? No, the official SGI/NS story is that Nikko rebuked those other 5 senior priests for blasphemously having put a *le gasp* STATUE OF SHAKYAMUNI BUDDHA on the main altar! *LE HORREUR* *LE SWOON* And then he loaded up the Dai-Gohonzon on his back and hiked on out.

I find it fundamentally unsatisfying to get just *one* side of a story, particularly when the other sides of the story are readily-accessible. So, years ago, I went looking. Here's what I found:

Nichiren Daishonin apparently had, as one of his most prized possessions, A STATUE OF SHAKYAMUNI BUDDHA. Nikko was miffed when Nichiren willed it to a different high priest; Nikko fancied himself the favorite and was thus certain that HE would be given the prized statue.

Once I found out that A STATUE OF SHAKYAMUNI BUDDHA was so important to Nichiren Daishonin, I started wondering - could THAT have been the "blasphemy" of the five senior priests, putting the Daishonin's most prized possession on the altar the Daishonin himself had founded?? How is this so bad, again??

A big problem with the idea of a Dai-Gohonzon as presented via NS and SGI is that it is a physical *object*. No matter how carefully it is curated, it will deteriorate. It will eventually crumble to dust. Yet the Daishonin's teachings are supposed to be for "the infinite future"! How does a wooden object figure into that scenario?

I agree with the other Nichiren sects that the Dai-Gohonzon was made some time after Nichiren Daishonin's death by the Nikken sect, which is now Nichiren Shoshu.

Date: February 08, 2013 05:47AM

Those who remain in the cult to the end will have led their lives in vain. - Nichijew
This statement suggests that there *is* a defined "purposeful" way of leading one's life, and I disagree with this basic principle. It is presented as obvious by all intolerant belief systems, as THEY define what, according to them, is "obviously" the most "purposeful" and "fulfilling" and "correct" way of leading one's life. And that "obviously" means embracing their particular belief system and living according to its dictates, naturally. No other option can possibly result in anything other than "having led their lives in vain."

Baloney, I say!

There are those who do well in the SGI. The leaders, for one. Ikeda has profited HANDSOMELY from his involvement! As there is no overriding way to evaluate a given person's feelings of satisfaction, accomplishment, and happiness, those who would condemn or malign someone who has profited off others will typically sneer something about how "unhappy" he must be in his private life, or how he'll be "filled with regrets" on his deathbed, or that he'll burn in hell, or some other such specious nonsense. For all we know, he may well be giggling with glee at how well it's all gone - clearly beyond his wildest fantasies! Ikeda may well be completely *thrilled* with his obviously amazing achievement up to the very last moment of his consciousness. HE has ACHIEVED! HE has left an enormous empire, glorifying him as the king that is no longer practically possible in our modern, democratized world; his offspring and all their offspring will *never* have a financial worry - ever! No matter how many generations we project! Trust me - as a parent, your children's well-being is a constant concern - no matter what happens, Ikeda's children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren etc. will never know want, or need, or suffer from privation. HE has *provided* for them! That must be an immensely satisfying thought.

There are plenty of people in the world who profit off others, and who apparently feel quite satisfied with the outcome. We have no basis to declare otherwise. Unless they're committing suicide and leaving behind notes detailing their great self-loathing and grief over how they've led their lives, we simply have no basis for declaring them unhappy or unfulfilled. We can assume that they're content with their private jets and private islands and public accolades and attention and all the wonderful ease that immense wealth can buy.

It always annoyed me when SGI leaders would insist that "No one who does not chant NMRK within the SGI can possibly experience true happiness." They do. All the time *eye roll*

The only reason there are so many different religions is that each one resonates for a substantial number of people. If they weren't able to attract followers, they wouldn't exist, would they? So allow everyone who *DOES* like the SGI experience to have it. Surely, if we would like others to respect our choice in leaving, we can respect their choice in staying. Until they themselves make a choice to leave (if ever). That's fair, isn't it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 05:49AM by TaitenAndProud.

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: February 08, 2013 06:02AM

@TaitenAndProud---may I say to this post....Viva La Difference! Simple, basic analogy as old as life itself: A lot of people prefer chocolate ice cream over vanilla. Some adore Chinese food; others could care less. Millions love sports; another bunch of millions, sports does little for them.

Same goes for choices in religious beliefs, no? No one person's DNA is the same as the next--so how could one size fit all for one's faith or not?

I cannot judge my friends who have stayed in the SGI and so far, feel their lives are the better for it. (If some are having their own misgivings about the topics discussed here, they haven't shared). The same goes for my born-again Christian friends and neighbors. Even the Jehovah's Witnesses. They have every right to believe what works for them. As Americans, of course, and as human beings.

Thanks for telling again the story of how they plumped up the books with adding every person (and probably pet) in the household, regardless if they wanted to practice or not. What they told you regarding your husband just made the head spin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.