Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 30, 2013 07:15AM

"I was a kumicho, a unit chief in NSA. On the first day I was appointed, I was given a list of 30 members who had left NSA and told I was to get them back. "Start calling. Don't forget to get their World Tribune subscription money. Don't forget your target.""

"Calls at 7AM Saturday morning: "Where are you? We're doing a 5 hour daimoku toso (chanting session). You have to be here!"

Calls at 11PM: "Tomorrow morning at 8AM you have to bring 40 sandwiches for the Youth Division."

Getting calls as late as 11 pm to bring 40 sandwiches for the Youth Division???

Thats a set up for sleep deprivation. You are up at 11pm or awakened at 11 pm by that phone call.

You are expected to make it to the 8 am Youth Division meeting.

Assuming you fall asleep instantly after that 11 am phone call, you still have to get up early enough to shower, dress, make or buy 40 sandwiches and then transport all that to whereever the Youth meeting is.

If lucky, you get six hours of sleep. And medical evidence has accumulated that 6 hours is not enough sleep for most adults.

And if one cant afford to buy 40 sandwiches (money out of ones own pocket--40 sandwiches are not cheap)--if the kumicho takes it on him or herself to make those 40 sandwiches, that adds to sleep deprivation.

Finally, lets look at the young people. How early did they have to get up to make it to the 8 am meeting? Young people need even more hours of sleep than adults do.

Sleep deprived people are vulnerable.

And...one wonders if there are any reports of SGI people getting into accidents due to sleep deprivation due to these outrageously demanding assignments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: January 30, 2013 08:04AM

Free, you bring up what was one of my biggest beefs with the SGI - there was *no* charitable activity whatsoever! I remember reading an experience in the World Tribune by this poor African American woman, who came into an SGI culture center asking where the "poor box" was, so that she could get a little help. She was told that there was no poor box; she had to chant to create her own fortune! And, of course, as the experience went, she DID manage to overcome all her own difficulties A A O!! It reminds me of this exchange:

MSNBC's Martin Basir: I know you're a long time member of the Methodist Church. Is that correct?

Republican Rep. Joe Barton: Yes, sir. That's a true statement.

Bashir: How do you square your approach with the Psalm 146, where the Psalmist writes this: "He gives food to the hungry. The lord protects foreigners. He defends orphans and widows." Isn't this the exact opposite of the cuts being proposed by Republicans in congress?

Barton: No, the lord helps those who helps themselves...

Bashir: Which verse of scripture is that, sir?

Barton: Well, it's uh..

Bashir: I don't think you'll find that in the Old or New Testament.

Barton: Well, that was taught to me by my father who is president of the United Methodist school board in Waco Texas, and Bryan, Texas.

So Bashir quoted scripture to make his case against the Republicans' policy, and Barton tries to defend himself by using a line, which he THOUGHT was also scripture, but actually doesn't exist in the Bible. And his father taught him that? Sounds like a pretty shitty teacher. I Wonder if his dad happens to be David Barton...

But what made that exchange worse was that here you have a guy who clearly thought that he was being clever with his rebuttal, and yet when it was made painfully apparent that he was full of shit, he remained absolutely unfazed. Not only was he not bothered by this, but he actually laughs about it ("Haha, so you mean one of the basic tenets of my religion, which I followed throughout my entire life was actually never advocated by the central figure of said religion? Boy is MY face red!") [readingisforsnobs.blogspot.com]
How are *children* and the frail and often homebound elderly supposed to "help themselves", pray tell?? We as a society need to help each other in *tangible* ways, because that's the only way the needy are going to be helped. There is no magical pie in the sky that's going to magically cause food and money to appear. Just doesn't happen. Remember how "Buddhism is common sense"?? Even though I was poor myself, I would slip what money I could, sometimes as much as $5 (!), into the purse of a struggling single mom.

While I am here to discuss and share my experiences with the SGI, my greater purpose in life is to address society's injustices in general, where the rich take from the poor and tell the poor to suck it up and fix their own lives. I find the SGI a particularly egregious offender - *NO* actual tangible assistance is offered, to anyone! Certainly not to the members! Members *donate*. That's what MEMBERS do. And good SGI members are chanting their way to great floods of benefits that will inspire others to want to join - and DONATE to the all-important organization! There was never any pretense of charitable activity. I have a financial budget from my parents' former church - out of total income of $95,000, a mere $700 was earmarked for the poor. That's less than 1%! They allocated more than twice that much to self-promotion. That rate - about 0.7% - is exactly the same proportion that the large and rich Mormon Church gives to charity, BTW. But even that paltry pittance is more than the SGI allocates - and the SGI is *proud* of this fact! Even the disaster aid the SGI so proudly promoted in its publications, like after Florida's Hurricane Andrew, involved delivering bottles of water and the YMD Brass Band playing to entertain the stricken. Big whoop de do. It was actually embarrassing.

I agree with you - value can be found where you look for it, and different people are drawn to different religions and philosophies, which is as it should be. However, I take issue with religious groups that toot their own horns about how "charitable" they are, while claiming that giving *bibles* to the needy is just as important as providing food or clothing. I object to the religious charities that exploit the needy by requiring that they sit through a sermon before they can get the meal they came for. And I object to religious groups, like Catholic hospitals, that promote themselves as selfless and giving when, in fact, they are publicly funded with the tax revenues collected from you and me. Sure, maybe they were originally founded with church donations (but if you look into it, I think you'll find that their start-up money came from elsewhere, too), but now they are funded by government grants, not-for-profit status, and insurance. Whenever you receive health care at a Catholic hospital, you don't receive said health care for free, now do you?

Given the context of Christians’ past and current treatment of those with contrary religious opinions, it is outrageous for anyone to point to Christian educational and charitable organizations as “proof” that Christianity excels at promoting compassion and humanitarianism. Those who make such fraudulent claims are like those who said, a century ago and more, that the absence of blacks and women in political office or other positions of responsibility “proved” that they lacked the character and intellect to vote or pursue professional careers. Then, as now, faith-blinded Christian apologists who are unwilling or unable to think excel in circular reasoning and question-begging, not in generosity or human feeling.

If Christianity were so spectacularly marked by the urge to give to others without asking anything in return, Christian institutions would have done far more than they have. As it is, almost all religious hospitals, clinics, schools, and colleges charge and collect fees that are the same as, or very little different than, similar non-religious organizations. Those associated with religious groups may receive modest or token subsidies, either in the form of cash from generous believers (and unbelievers!) or in the form of free labor provided by an order of monks, nuns, priests, and other volunteers. But the secular organizations engaged in the same activities manage not only to survive without such help but pay taxes to the state and dividends to their shareholders as well. A reasonable person would conclude that the religiously-affiliated schools and hospitals, far from being praiseworthy examples of altruism, are, in fact, inefficient and wasteful of money and resources. [www.positiveatheism.org]
THAT's what's keeping those hospitals going, not the largess of the generous Christians. Overwhelmingly, most donations to churches go to the upkeep and expenses of keeping those churches going. A charitable contribution rate of 1.7% is actually about average for churches - all the rest of everything they collect, they spend on themselves. Charity has as its purpose improving the lot of those suffering within society; church "charity" typically involves a heapin' helpin' of proselytizin' - attempting to take advantage of the desperation of the needy to collect more members for themselves. The SGI likewise preys upon the desperate and needy. Remember - anything that is referred to as a "ministry" has marketing Christianity as its purpose. The Red Cross gives over 92% of what it collects to the needy; you'll be hard pressed to find a church that can demonstrate that it gives even 50% of what it collects to the needy.

Just as many people are initially drawn to the SGI because they want to work for world peace (ha ha ha), many people gravitate toward churches because they want to join a group that does charity. But this carefully crafted image of the church as a charitable institution is identical to the SGI's carefully crafted image as a force for world peace. If you are interested in the reality, here are a couple of really good articles I recommend: [yashwata.info] and [yashwata.info]

But please remember to compare apples to apples. When it comes to the delivery of charitable services, a strongly religious organization necessarily embodies certain inefficiencies as compared to a secular one. For example, religious observances cost money, and those costs will have to be deducted from the charitable effort. More silver chalices, more ceremonial wine and wafers, more statues of Jesus means less medicine or food or whatever the charity was supposed to be about. Promulgation, too, siphons away resources from humanitarian projects. More priests on the plane to spread the Good News around means fewer doctors on the plane to treat malaria or tuberculosis or AIDS.

Evangelism is routinely considered part of the mission. When churches list their charitable efforts, I would bet you a million dollars that most of them include “spreading the Good News” on that list. But it is not charity, it is marketing.

When you donate to (or volunteer for) a church, the primary beneficiaries are the church and the people who run the church. This does not help children in Africa. It does not even help children in the church’s own neighborhood. You must keep these considerations in mind when comparing charitable work by religious organizations to charitable work by secular organizations.
Finally, so many Christians are personally invested in their image of being charitable because they're Christians that they'll claim the Red Cross as a Christian charity! It's not - it's purely secular

I remember years ago, back when I was just a starry-eyed group member, this friend of mine that was in the diving group I sometimes went out scuba diving with was telling me that the old house he owned was in danger of being cited or even condemned because the trim on the windows was in such bad shape. I brought this concern to my (then) NSA discussion group: "Can we take on a charitable project to help him?" My MD group chief snorted in contempt and said, "I'm not going to work hard for some moron who won't even chant!" He wasn't about to do anything for any moron who DID chant, either - I can tell you that much! It's hard-core capitalism to insist that everyone needs to somehow attend to his own needs, and it's bad for society. There are some people who simply *can't* help themselves.

Next time a Christian is crowing about how much "charity" his church does, ask him how big a grant his church would give him if he were to suddenly find himself unemployed. The look on his face will be priceless. Pricelessly sad. Choose whatever religion you like. But don't think that your preferred religion is somehow exempt from scrutiny and deserved/earned criticism just because it's the one YOU happen to like. Physician, heal thyself.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: January 30, 2013 08:08AM

I don't think I've ever actually heard Kaneko Ikeda speak, either. Maybe once. She's always been spoken *for*, either by The Dear Leader, or some other gakkai cult leader, attributing things that she supposedly said (99.9% of the time, in reference to her husband).

"The realm of the Soka Gakkai ...... is one where women are respected and valued to the most."

That's a crock.

The YWD in the cult org. are smiling wall flowers (greeters & servers). The WD are cleaning and cooking slaves behind the scenes. All traditional women's roles in the cult org. motherland.

The emphasis on Kaneko was never really there until fairly recently. Perhaps The Dear Leader, in approaching his final years, was feeling guilty for hogging (no pun intended) all of the spotlight and wanted to share a sliver of it with her before it's all over. A "present" for her, so to speak, from The Dear Husband.

That webpage is the end result of a member shuttled to Japan for thought reform purposes.

"Hazel A. Andaya - (YWD Vice Chief)" (Translation = Cult Org. Salaried Leader ladder climber). Hence, her "training" (i.e., thought reform) trip to the motherland for the "World Youth Training Course."

Since she's a kotekitai (cult org.'s female division of the brass band) "leader", her entire focus is on how impressed she was with the "Fuji Kotekitai" (official motherland cult org. version). It's common cult programming to have all other subsidiaries looking up to and emulating their perfect and admirable counterparts in the motherland, who by virtue of being closer to The Dear Leader, have inherent wisdom and a stronger practice. Notice her ending determination:

"I will exert my efforts to help the young members grow up to be the true disciples of Ikeda Sensei through the activities of the Kotekitai. And despite our number and limited skills, we will strive hard to make our Kotekitai the number one in Asia."

Typical cult mental software download. Serve The Dear Leader and "strive" to become "number one" in "______(insert cult org. subsidiary area) ___." I've heard all this same sh*t a thousand times from all divisions and all brainwashed up and coming "leaders." That and all the other cliches like "do our best" to become "happy" and "strong" members - blah, blah, blah. Even the "music was wonderful."

Here are more oft heard and parroted cult thoughts always implanted into everyone's minds who attend "training" sessions in the far away motherland:

"Aside from this, I learned that almost all experienced difficulties prior to their travel to Japan.

I learned and really sensed their vibrant spirit and strong determination in propagating SGI activities in their respective places."

By undertaking such as momentous struggle for Cousin Rufus (by traveling to Japan), they meet with "sansho shima" (devil obstacles impeding their path to enlightenment) before their trip, succeed in making it to the motherland and create "immense good fortune" in the process. They transform their lives by learning first hand and up close, about the proper spirit for The Dear Leader and must carry that spirit in their hearts back to *their* members and share / teach it.

Again, same ol' gakkai cult algorithm, nothing changes.

As for the gaudy crown:

"I was so overwhelmed and my eyes were teary when Mrs. Ikeda handed me the crown. I was really speechless. All I was able to say was "Thank you". I could really feel Ikeda Sensei and Mrs. Ikeda's warmth and concern for the well-being of each member who traveled from distant places just to be in the Leaders Training Course. Mrs. Ikeda is like a mother to everyone. I was not able to utter a word, I just smiled to her.

The crown will always remind me that I must become strong and never give up. It symbolizes encouragement and hope to the young women division members in the Philippines."

This is also typical platitudinous nonsense spewed by hardcore brainwashed members. In all probably likelihood, Kaneko didn't want it and as such, handed it over to a brainwashed member knowing the effect it would have.

I've seen the same kind of reactions from YMD, MD and WD "leaders" who get rewarded with some throwaway gift from The Dear Leader. Shaking emotion and tears flowing, with over the top gratitude and renewed determination to live up to "Sensei's expectations" in appreciation.

One more typical final cult org. implanted thought:

"Another memorable experience was our visit to the Young Women’s Center. We were the first among the SGI members to enter this center."

It was incredible good fortune (there is no good luck in the cult org., it is all mystical karmic connection) to be the *first* members (international or otherwise) to be blessed to enter a new cult building. It's a "special" building, for a "special" purpose, with "special" displays, for your "special" mission.

Yep, same ol' crap, just another generation of different faces of young naive, ignorant and impressionable "YOUTH!" being indoctrinated.

If Miss. Andaya doesn't bring in results for the cult org. in the Philippines, she'll never make it to National YWD Chief. "Vice" positions are a dime a dozen in the gakkai cult org., they mean nothing. "Vice" "leaders" are loyal cult attack dogs and manipulators. Ultimately, they will have to come up with a substantial loyalty display result to move higher (and compete with all the other "Vice" position "leaders" with the same misguided ambitions). Otherwise, she will be unceremoniously discarded and easily replaced with somebody who can or will.

That's the gakkai cult org., in a nutshell.

- Hitch

Date: January 30, 2013 08:36AM

corboy

"I was a kumicho, a unit chief in NSA. On the first day I was appointed, I was given a list of 30 members who had left NSA and told I was to get them back. "Start calling. Don't forget to get their World Tribune subscription money. Don't forget your target.""

"Calls at 7AM Saturday morning: "Where are you? We're doing a 5 hour daimoku toso (chanting session). You have to be here!"

Calls at 11PM: "Tomorrow morning at 8AM you have to bring 40 sandwiches for the Youth Division."

Getting calls as late as 11 pm to bring 40 sandwiches for the Youth Division???

Thats a set up for sleep deprivation. You are up at 11pm or awakened at 11 pm by that phone call.

You are expected to make it to the 8 am Youth Division meeting.

Assuming you fall asleep instantly after that 11 am phone call, you still have to get up early enough to shower, dress, make or buy 40 sandwiches and then transport all that to whereever the Youth meeting is.

If lucky, you get six hours of sleep. And medical evidence has accumulated that 6 hours is not enough sleep for most adults.

And if one cant afford to buy 40 sandwiches (money out of ones own pocket--40 sandwiches are not cheap)--if the kumicho takes it on him or herself to make those 40 sandwiches, that adds to sleep deprivation.

Finally, lets look at the young people. How early did they have to get up to make it to the 8 am meeting? Young people need even more hours of sleep than adults do.

Sleep deprived people are vulnerable.

And...one wonders if there are any reports of SGI people getting into accidents due to sleep deprivation due to these outrageously demanding assignments.

Those kind of late night and early morning phone calls are typical for the gakkai cult org.. If you are a gakkai member and your phone rings really late at night or very early in the morning, it's invariably your "leader" relaying "last minute" cult org. demands and expectations for you to tend to and carry out. I absolutely hated it.

Some of my typical responses would have been:

"Calls at 7AM Saturday morning: "Where are you? We're doing a 5 hour daimoku toso (chanting session). You have to be here!""

Why are you calling me at 7 o'clock on a weekend morning (usually Sunday)? I'm at home, where else do you think I'd be? A 5 hour toso? That's nice, nobody told me. I don't have to be anywhere that I don't want to be. I have other plans for today, you should have told me earlier. Seeing as how you are demanding and ordering me, my answer is "No."

Why the hell are you calling me at 11 o'clock at night? You'd better try a Deli after they open up tomorrow morning at 9 a.m.. And you better not ever call me again at this time, unless someone has died. Click.

"Our district has pledged to have 12 new members this month. Do shakubuku (introduction)!"

Well, whoever made that pledge should go get the 12. Have fun and I hope you think next time before you speak.

"We have a target of 150 subscriptions to the World Tribune (organ newspaper). So, your target must be 50. Get on the phone!"

My target will be how ever many I manage to get. (The cult org. liked specific numbers so they could yell at you later for not reaching it. It was set-up, pure and simple.)

"No! Of course you can't have a Christmas tree!"

Who asked you? That's not for you to say.

One of the things I learned early on in the gakkai cult org., was how to push back and say "No."

I'll never forget a YMD "leader's" face and reaction when I told him I'm leaving from an activity that had just gotten started, because of the mind games, manipulation and lies. He was floored. I was threatened with mystical damnation and being reported to other "leaders." "But you can't do this!", he said. "Watch me.", I said, as I left. Nothing ever happened and the next time I told them to keep me off the list, they did.

Don't let the cult org. play you and manipulate you.

- Hitch

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 30, 2013 11:24AM

Ah, so those early morning or late night phone calls are typical (??!!)

Those 'last minute' needs are not 'last minute' developments.

Sounds orchestrated to me.

And shows utter disrespect for people.

The photocopy machines and computers at SGI probably get better care and upkeep than the human members get.

Unlike human beings, machines will break down and refuse to function if you treat them beyond their capacities.

Date: January 30, 2013 11:54AM

All of the recent posts are so right on. I have experienced every aspect of what's been described here, including the sexual harassment from MD leaders, leaders asking to borrow money, one even slapped my child (age 4), the excessive ridiculous demands at the whim of leaders who want to throw their weight around, the 6 am text messages, the 10 pm conference calls, people "stopping by" my job. When you set a boundary, they just walk right over it. Just shows me that I have to set it out even further. Thanks to everyone who has had the courage to post here. It has helped affirm my decision to get out and stay out. Ugh.

Date: January 30, 2013 12:21PM

Such intrusive phone calls and demands were normal when in campaign mode (zaimu campaign - $$$$ / publications campaign - propaganda subscribers / big cult meeting venue gatherings - huge, multi-regional "Rah, Rah!" events / and in the old days, tozan - pilgrimage trips to the head temple and shakubuku (proselytizing) movements, which have probably been replaced now by cult retreat - FNCC - attendance promtion).

Plus there are always monthly Cousin Rufus (Kosen-Rufu = World Peace) gongyos (prayers), zadankai (district meetings, with confirmation bias experiences, cult group songs, goal & number determinations), gosho (really Dear Leader) study meetings, and in between these are the endless planning meetings, for planning meetings, for planning meetings (utter waste of time where all they do is plan things in minute detail, only to change it by the time the next planning meeting rolls around). If you are "YOUTH!" division, then you add your Gajokai (cult community center watchers), soka-han (cult member traffic and safety watch), brass band, kotekitai, Byakuren (female greeters and servers), and on and on.

So, there's always something (manufactured) going on.

In the motherland, you can add on political wing (New Komeito) campaign support when snap elections are called.

In addition to the phone calls (e-mails as well, now?), you also run the risk of getting unexpectedly "kate-homu" or home-visitation (usually reserved for cult members who are slipping in their devotion displays, either by poor attendance to cult meetings or stopped paying their zaimu or publications fees). Hardcore members, along with a more senior expert brainwashed "leader" partake in these visits. (I've served on both sides; as part of a group that home-v'ed members and later as a victim myself, when my "faith" and devotion was not up to par.)

corboy
And shows utter disrespect for people.

Absolutely. The $oka Cult Org. has a "motto" that they supposedly respect the "inherent human dignity" of every individual. Nice theory, in principle.

As far as the way cult org. members are treated, not in a millions years. I never saw it happen in reality.

corboy
The photocopy machines and computers at SGI probably get better care and upkeep than the human members get.

Unlike human beings, machines will break down and refuse to function if you treat them beyond their capacities.

I love this analogy, it's so true. I'll also add, that when a machine breaks down, you get it fixed. In the cult org., if you break down ..... then you simply "failed" and were not "victorious." Brainwashed cultie mind translation = you were not "diligent" enough in your practice and / or "sincere" enough in your "faith." Remedy? Practice harder and more devotion to the cult.

- Hitch

Date: January 30, 2013 12:38PM

WaywardBuddhistWoman
All of the recent posts are so right on. I have experienced every aspect of what's been described here, including the sexual harassment from MD leaders, leaders asking to borrow money, one even slapped my child (age 4), the excessive ridiculous demands at the whim of leaders who want to throw their weight around, the 6 am text messages, the 10 pm conference calls, people "stopping by" my job. When you set a boundary, they just walk right over it. Just shows me that I have to set it out even further. Thanks to everyone who has had the courage to post here. It has helped affirm my decision to get out and stay out. Ugh.

Gakkai cult org. "leaders" (especially salaried ones) are intrusive manipulators that only know how to show respect (actually, fear) to people above them on the cult org. ladder and The Dear Leader himself.

Members below them are to be "guided" (in my day, strictly) as to the proper attitude in "faith and practice", of which they have mastered, by virtue of their position.

Lots of arrogant power monger "leaders" in the gakkai cult org.. Lots.

I watched one salaried YMD "leader" plop himself down over the arm of a sofa in a members house once, sitting there like a monkey and proceed to give out "guidance." The irony of his behavior being at odds with his words, completely lost on him. (They aren't the brightest people around, btw.) They act that way simply because they can get away with it in the cult org.. They also genuinely believe that they have all the right answers, fortune and are "special."

When the rare cult member challenges them or says "No", they view it as a threat to their legitimacy and can potentially react in bizarre ways. I've seen it and have also been on the receiving end of it (I was struck once by a WD "leader", who I told off and wouldn't back down from either).

- Hitch

Posted by: sixtyseven ()
Date: January 30, 2013 04:03PM

Hahaha, I got that sms yesterday at 7 PM: "Today WD toso at my house 8 PM + adress". What the hell do they think ( if they think at all), that I grovel back on my bended knees full of sorrow? Eventually jump into the car in rueful excitement and leave my little children behind or lodge them in their pajamas on the rear seats? Stupid ignorant people. I hope that the anger stops one day. Should I ignore the text or should I reply, what do you think?

Posted by: ScoobyDooby ()
Date: January 30, 2013 08:57PM

WaywardBuddhistWoman

As a peripheral "member" I was under much pressure to raise my children in faith. God, I hated those Young Lion meetings. Watching serious members trying to get 20-30 5 to 7 year olds settled down and to do Gongyo was like watching a dentist perform a root canal. I'll tell you though if one of those crazy division leaders ever touched one of my kids, there would be some serious ass whoppin'.

After years of Young Lions and Future Division meetings neither of my kids have much interest in the practice these days. Don't know how much being teens has to do with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.