Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: January 26, 2013 07:56PM

Perhaps an "exmisfortunebaby dot com" site should be started up. Scientology has their own version [exscientologykids.com].

"I was born. I grew up. I escaped."

That pretty much sums it up for me, too. With the passage of time, there shall be more and more (worldwide, unfortunately).

In lieu of such a site, it looks like "Rick Ross' Cult Education Forum" ($oka Gakkai Cult threads) is the place to be.

- Hitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 08:02PM by Hitch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: January 27, 2013 04:24AM

TaitenAndProud
One of the more troubling aspects of SGI and Ikeda for me was the use of language (all the win, fight, victory, victory victory, struggle, enemy, defeat, lose, win, on and on ). Even though I was hardly knowledgable about Buddhism outside of the organization, I felt instinctively that there was something terribly wrong with this language-- the emphasis on conflict, the emphasis on having to change things, the emphasis on the enemy (within and without). - opendoor

I agree entirely. I don't know if you've read much up the thread, but one of the Four Noble Truths of (real) Buddhism is "Attachment causes suffering." All this "bend reality to your will" is really nothing more than an expression of deep-seated attachment, demonstrating the delusion that one cannot regard oneself as happy/successful unless a certain outcome is attained. And you're right - this is NOT Buddhism!

Here's what the REAL Buddha had to say on the subject: "Winning gives birth to hostility. Losing, one lies down in pain. The calmed lie down with ease, having set winning and losing aside."

I have noticed a similar change - when I was with the SGI, they always referred to the kaikans as "Community Centers" if they were small or "Culture Centers" if they were larger. And I actually heard leaders explaining that our Community Centers were truly "community centers", where anyone in the community could, you know, drop by, enjoy the artwork, whatever! Talk about deluded! Nobody ever came in. And frankly, President Ikeda's photos, that he supposedly takes by just holding out the camera and clicking away? They looked like they were taken with that technique. I never understood the fawning and exaggerated praise for his photos. They're nearly as bad as his poems!!

When I got back together with my one (1) friend from the SGI last month, she said they'd moved to a bigger community center because their lease had run out at the other place. And she told me that they *bought* this new place! It's in a business park, you know, strip-mall-style sandwiched between a golf shop and an emergency veterinarian office, among others. In fact, their name, on the *bottom* of the plaza's directory out front, is "SGI-USA BUDDHIST CENTER"! I've been trying to call the leasing agents for the plaza, Red Rock Center, to confirm that *every* space in the center is leased. I simply don't see any way that a *leased* center would allow businesses to *purchase* spaces/units - how, then, could the leasing agents assure the proper maintenance and behavior for that space/unit's neighbors, which all share walls?? So I don't know where she got the idea that this was a purchased building, because there's just no way that could be.

I agree with you, opendoor, that what little of REAL Buddhism the SGI included was very helpful to me. I *like* the idea of being responsible for myself, of making wise choices, and of living with the results (for better or for worse). I never liked those religions with their "get out of hell free" cards and all that "saved" rubbish. Behave properly, people! That's the key! So I found that the principles of Buddhism motivated me to behave well. So then I thought to myself that, since Buddhism has these great guidelines in it, it will reliably motivate EVERYONE to behave well, too! Until I learned of the man who had raped his step-daughter (lots of times) and the one guy in my district murdered his wife - shot her dead! - and that Korean couple who had had a magazine/newspaper shop converted it to cigars and a smoking room instead, and the list goes on and on and on. It only worked for me because I made the conscious decision to live my life that way.

To Taiten and opendoor, your comments explain exactly how I felt when I joined. Cause and effect! Good, rightful causes--yes! Causes that respect life, human and other--yes! Bad causes--well, I convinced myself, had confidence that because this was based on cause and effect, that our leaders would behave in kind. Particularly the Big One. Sensei would never consciously make a bad cause!

'Behave properly, people!' Absolutely! It's dismaying to say the least when you realize that in the SGI context, it doesn't really matter. And when things happen like what TaitenAndProud listed--family rape, murder, etc..SGI does not know how to handle it.

Posted by: sleepy skunk ()
Date: January 27, 2013 05:49AM

For me it was also a lot of little things that seemed to pile up one after the other. Between the endless eventual demands for money, visiting the brainwashing center (and paying for the privilege), confirmation bias laden "experiences", the annoying language, constant magical thinking, the useless guidance, people meddling in others business, the gossip, and lastly, the absolute loons I came across. Add that to all the signs I had been ignoring for years during which my unconscious was demanding my attention the whole time right from the beginning. I've really learned the value of trusting my gut and always using my head. One experience I've had that others have here was the quashing of critical thinking. I couldn't understand why this was until I came back here and read the first hundred or so pages. The techniques, all of that. It's so obvious once you distance yourself and educate yourself. How I managed to escape I'll never know, but one thing is certain. Not doing any of the practice ever except quite rarely probably helped save me. I had my reasons not to, but mostly my gut told me to stop and just observe and that's when I think it all hit the fan. I really hated those magazines and their constant reinforcement that we were all owing gratitude to people we've never met nor have done anything direct for anyone as far as anyone can see. Any time I heard an experience or was about to hear one I'd roll my eyes and phase out until they were done. I have more important things to think about than that, like how fast I can twiddle my fingers as I listen to that crap. Separately, all the techniques they use might not be so bad but together I can only think it's good to be gone. I am like many here in thinking "How could I be so stupid to go for this stuff?" When I think about the question of what did the practice actually do for me? Good question. Like others here, I've met some interesting people I probably wouldn't have any other way yes, but it's not worth making myself a mind-slave for Cousin Rufus. I learned a lot about emotional and psychological manipulation techniques, however. Thank you all for aiding my exit. I've given back the scroll already and all that other garbage is exactly where it belongs, and I'm never looking back!

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: January 27, 2013 06:16AM

Thirteen Techniques for Truth Suppression routinely used by the Soka Gakkai

by David Martin, author of America's Dreyfus Affair

1. Dummy up. If it's not reported, if it's not news, it didn't happen.

2. Wax indignant. This is also known as the "how dare you?" gambit.

3. Characterize the charges as "rumors" or, better yet, "wild rumors."

If, in spite of the news blackout, the public is still able to learn

about the suspicious facts, it can only be through "rumors."

4. Knock down straw men. Deal only with the weakest aspect of the

weakest charges. Even better, create your own straw men. Make up wild

rumors and give them lead play when you appear to debunk all the

charges, real and fanciful alike.

5. Call the skeptics names like "conspiracy theorist," "nut," "ranter,"

"kook," "crackpot," and of course, "rumor monger." You must then

carefully avoid fair and open debate with any of the people you have

thus maligned.

6. Impugn motives. Attempt to marginalize the critics by suggesting

strongly that they are not really interested in the truth but are

simply pursuing a partisan political agenda or are out to make money.

7. Invoke authority. Here the controlled press and the sham opposition

can be very useful.

8. Dismiss the charges as "old news."

9. Come half-clean. This is also known as "confession and avoidance" or

"taking the limited hang-out route." This way, you create the

impression of candor and honesty while you admit only to relatively

harmless, less-than-criminal "mistakes." This stratagem often equires

the embrace of a fall-back position quite different from the one

originally taken.

10. Characterize the crimes as impossibly complex and the truth as

ultimately unknowable.

11. Reason backward, using the deductive method with a vengeance. With

thoroughly rigorous deduction, troublesome evidence is irrelevant. For

example: We have a completely free press. If they know of evidence

that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF) had prior

knowledge of the Oklahoma City bombing they would have reported it.

They haven't reported it, so there was no prior knowledge by the BATF.

Another variation on this theme involves the likelihood of a

conspiracy leaker and a press that would report it.

12. Require the skeptics to solve the crime completely. For example: If

Vince Foster was murdered, who did it and why?

13. Change the subject. This technique includes creating and/or

reporting a distraction.

Date: January 27, 2013 07:10AM

I just wanted to throw this interesting tidbit out there. (Apologies in advance for the cult speak and doctrinal jargon, but longtime hardcore members will understand what I'm getting at.)

[www.youtube.com]

I can state as a fact that before the priesthood excommunication, a big deal (actually, a HUGE deal) was made about the Kaikan gohonzons being ultra-special Joju Gohonzons, ESPECIALLY at the World Culture Center ($oka Gakkai International, U.S.A. branch, national CULT HQ.).

I can also state as a fact that now, the entire concept of Joju Gohonzons is officially verboten in the cult org.. It's almost as if the cult org. underwent a self-inflicted lobotomy (by decree of The Dear Leader) to remove and completely erase concepts that they once held as sacred and precious prior to the priesthood break away.

(Btw, this fellow's channel is recommended viewing, in English, [www.youtube.com]).

It's all manipulation, IMO, however.

- Hitch

Date: January 27, 2013 03:47PM

sleepy skunk
For me it was also a lot of little things that seemed to pile up one after the other. Between the endless eventual demands for money, visiting the brainwashing center (and paying for the privilege), confirmation bias laden "experiences", the annoying language, constant magical thinking, the useless guidance, people meddling in others business, the gossip, and lastly, the absolute loons I came across. Add that to all the signs I had been ignoring for years during which my unconscious was demanding my attention the whole time right from the beginning. I've really learned the value of trusting my gut and always using my head. One experience I've had that others have here was the quashing of critical thinking. I couldn't understand why this was until I came back here and read the first hundred or so pages. The techniques, all of that. It's so obvious once you distance yourself and educate yourself. How I managed to escape I'll never know, but one thing is certain. Not doing any of the practice ever except quite rarely probably helped save me. I had my reasons not to, but mostly my gut told me to stop and just observe and that's when I think it all hit the fan. I really hated those magazines and their constant reinforcement that we were all owing gratitude to people we've never met nor have done anything direct for anyone as far as anyone can see. Any time I heard an experience or was about to hear one I'd roll my eyes and phase out until they were done. I have more important things to think about than that, like how fast I can twiddle my fingers as I listen to that crap. Separately, all the techniques they use might not be so bad but together I can only think it's good to be gone. I am like many here in thinking "How could I be so stupid to go for this stuff?" When I think about the question of what did the practice actually do for me? Good question. Like others here, I've met some interesting people I probably wouldn't have any other way yes, but it's not worth making myself a mind-slave for Cousin Rufus. I learned a lot about emotional and psychological manipulation techniques, however. Thank you all for aiding my exit. I've given back the scroll already and all that other garbage is exactly where it belongs, and I'm never looking back!

I can relate to so much in this post. So much. Little things slowly piling up (the dysfunctional "leaders"), constant / endless zaimu campaigns (it really got to be ridiculous), brainwashing tozan (this was when things went even beyond how weird they usually were in the everyday cult org., I still remember how shocked I was by the bizarre and extreme zealotry that I witnessed), ignorant confirmation biases galore, magical thinking, inane "guidance" (from both the insipid publications and the psycho "leaders" - most of whom could barely speak English), the perpetually nosey and gossiping WD (who lived for that kind of stuff) and YEP (!!!!) the cast from "Looney Tunes" membership - ABSOLUTELY!

It's amazing how similar some of our "experiences" can be.

Congratulations on getting out. I saw some of your posts on another thread about potential "problems" with cult members after leaving. Cult member reactions vary widely (from minimal to high pressure to bring you back, depending on how much you were doing for the cult org. to begin with), but in the end, if you cut all ties and firmly tell them "NO", they shall eventually fade away. I'd like to add, that in my "experience", these people are not your friends and never really were. Gakkai cult members are simply incapable of remaining purely *just* friends with people who were once in but have left the cult org. (i.e., 'sleeping' members). They shall forever feel that it is their duty to Cousin Rufus and The Dear Leader to awaken you (which really means, to put you back to sleep ironically) if a chance arises (and one inevitably will).

Leaving the gakkai cult org. is, literally, your mind reawakening. Stay away from the hypnotic rituals (gongyo, magic chant), if you don't like what it does to you, and don't inhale the cult somnambulant anymore.

It's a whole 'nother world leaving the cult org. and freeing your mind. Educating and informing yourself are absolutely the keys; in doing so, you have so much to look forward to and I wish you all the success in the world. No more "sleeping", indeed.

- Hitch

Posted by: sixtyseven ()
Date: January 27, 2013 05:14PM

@Sleepy skunk: Welcome and great that you are out!

I have a question. What's about this Negai - the wish upon the shooting star- sent to the universe- satellite thing? My English is too poor to understand the connections and it sounds like a real big thing to be in cooperation with JAXA and Mitsubishi C? Oh boy, all the money for a box with wishes and names of children orbiting the planet.
Please help, here are some links
soka news link
wikipedia link
nasa link
Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 05:18PM by sixtyseven.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: January 28, 2013 01:30AM

In their minds, SGI must feel they can lessen their karmic retribution for the tens of thousands killed by the arms manufactured by their partner Mitsubishi by sending up a silly satellite. What about the hopes and dreams of the children whose lives were snuffed out by Mitsubishi's land mines? What is really on their minds in developing such information gathering satellites? Nothing is at it seems when it comes to the Soka Gakkai. Beware, be very aware.

Nichijew

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: January 28, 2013 04:25AM

Hitch
Shavoy
When I practiced, it was a joke with myself, because I never did gongyo consistently as prescribed. May have chanted on a daily basis, but not a lot of two-times-a-day. I say it is a joke, especially now, because STILL I received benefits and answers to the prayers I was putting out to the universe with NMRK. Got out of some major pickles, which, yes, I attributed to at least, my SINCERITY. This carried on for the 25 years of my practice!

Other members frantically and understandably wanted ASAP answers to their dilemmas and would do the prescription, and the results seemed to be what people experience regardless: sometimes answers and relief would come; other times the situation(s) dragged on.

What is the difference, I ask?

If you got results, you changed your karma, were sincere in your faith and diligent in your practice. If not, it was your karma again, or you didn't have the proper attitude in faith, or you didn't practice hard enough (whatever the case may be and whatever they need to say to pull your strings).

When bad things really hit the fan, the default answer always was, "it's your karma."

So, the difference is whether or not one believes in "karma." Can't say that I ever really did, so I called their BS, walked and the sky never fell - it only kept getting brighter, sunnier and clearer for me the further I got away from the gakkai cult org.'s poisonous atmosphere.

- Hitch

Absolutely, Hitch. Which leads me to add, it didn't escape that despite NOT doing the prescription as strictly prescribed over 25 years AND still getting answered prayers---how does this happen? Why should it have happened, if I was such a slacker??? Hmmmmmmm.

Date: January 28, 2013 08:06AM

It's all a con-game, Shavoy. Manipulation of the faithful and ignorant. (JMO.)

Re: Negai Satellite

$$$$ + $oka Gakkai + Mit$ubi$hi (who is contractually in bed with JAXA) + $$$$ + (Japanese) "Giri" (translated = obligation / duty) + $$$$ = "Yoroshiku onegai-shimasu" Satellite (Roughly translated = "please take care of me", in this case.)

It's all a $oka cult org. PR stunt, nothing more [www.youtube.com]. The cult org. will manipulate the symbolism to get as much mileage from it as possible (new members or increased devotion of current members). It's a bit like all of those stupid meaningless time capsules that were supposedly buried with Cousin Rufus structures to be unearthed a thousand years from now when the Earth changes its name to $oka Planet, etc. (I joke, but only a little).

(Notice the thumbs down outnumber the thumbs up on the YouTube clip (9 to 8, respectively). If somebody in the cult org. notices and puts the word out, that can easily be remedied by mindless $oka-bots following their mental software code and doing as programmed / ordered.)

- Hitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 08:21AM by Hitch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.