Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: January 21, 2013 09:19AM

"Who decides?"

There are no criteria.

Survival of the fittest decides. "Fitness" has nothing to do with (perceived) "truth" of a belief system either, but simply with how effectively and successfully a "religion" can spread, grow, survive and serve *a* purpose. "Fitness" and the subjective "goodness" or "badness" of said purpose, are relative to all other religions. The intolerance is the mechanism for the stomping out (thru voluntary or forced conversion and even killing) of competitive belief systems, so that the religion in question can gain a maximum number of adherents (again, relative to other religions). When religion is co-opted by States, it just takes the game up to much higher and more dangerous level.

On that note, here is the pseudo-buddhist Ikeda cult's version of "truth" (subtle intolerance abounds) [www.youtube.com].

- Hitch

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: January 21, 2013 01:20PM

Oh barf.

Date: January 21, 2013 02:30PM

What I would like them to become aware of is that, if any religion is going to be enshrined as government favorite and allowed to dictate which religion(s) will - and, more importantly, will NOT - be allowed to exist, it is going to be the one with the most adherents, which, according to Christians, is Christianity. So, if we go with the Christians' own estimates of their numbers *ahem*, that means that Christians would be the ones deciding which religions' teachings are "bad" and "harmful." The Christians making these decisions, of course, would have their own scriptures to justify their decisions. If, on the basis of Christianity's claim to have the most members worldwide, Christianity were empowered to decide what religions throughout the entire world would be allowed to survive, the Nichiren Buddhists might find themselves up for a rude awakening.

When the shoe is on the other foot, it's another situation entirely, isn't it? That whole "It's bad and harmful" isn't so comforting when it's being used *against YOU*, now is it??

It is unfortunately a rather popular view among human beings that whatever *I* prefer is so obviously sensible and reasonable that EVERY thoughtful, competent person will choose as I do. And that those who are clearly dim-witted and incompetent should be *compelled* to believe as I do, or at least PRETEND to believe as I do and go through the motions so it appears as they do, for their own good and the benefit of one and all. Of course, their pretense will make ME more comfortable (because then I can pretend they agree with me), and isn't that the most important thing? People tend to be just this selfish, self-centered, and narcissistic. What *I* like is CLEARLY the best in the whole world! It's *OBVIOUS*!!!

THIS is why my wish is for them to see that intolerance is *BAD* for *EVERYONE*, because chances are always better than even that it is YOU and YOUR RELIGION that are going to be the ones being eliminated by a larger, more powerful, equally intolerant group. Sure, you *like* the way your intolerance feels - it will give you power and prestige and social standing! YEAH! Everybody's going to have to look up TO YOU!! But that same intolerance isn't nice *at all* when someone else is wielding it - especially when they're wielding it AGAINST YOU. For the Christians, we'll suggest the Muslims as their antagonists. Thus, YOUR only hope for survival is to endorse equal rights for all and equal protection under the law, for all, regardless of whether you *like* anyone else's doctrines or not. Your only hope for survival is the guarantee that all survive. Even the ones you hate. And your only hope for MEANINGFUL survival is that the government explicitly favors *none* over others. The secular government provides your best chances of survival along with everyone else's, much as you might hate the prospect. Of course you'd prefer to have an advantage, being intolerant and all, but that's a sharp, double-edged sword you're playing with.

I simply cannot understand why this is such an unpopular stance. The only way to guarantee protection for yourself is to advocate for protection for EVERYONE. How could anyone twist that into something anti-Buddhist??

Posted by: sixtyseven ()
Date: January 21, 2013 03:49PM

Hitch
"Who decides?"

There are no criteria.

Survival of the fittest decides. "Fitness" has nothing to do with (perceived) "truth" of a belief system either, but simply with how effectively and successfully a "religion" can spread, grow, survive and serve *a* purpose. "Fitness" and the subjective "goodness" or "badness" of said purpose, are relative to all other religions. The intolerance is the mechanism for the stomping out (thru voluntary or forced conversion and even killing) of competitive belief systems, so that the religion in question can gain a maximum number of adherents (again, relative to other religions). When religion is co-opted by States, it just takes the game up to much higher and more dangerous level.

On that note, here is the pseudo-buddhist Ikeda cult's version of "truth" (subtle intolerance abounds) [www.youtube.com].

- Hitch

Typical propaganda video of the Cult.
The survival of the fittest decides, yeah we all know, it's a duck's battle. I miss the master duck in the thriller. Maybe he is gone down in the lotus pond and mystically emerges from murky waters after the membership's sign in.

Posted by: sixtyseven ()
Date: January 21, 2013 04:03PM

- Hitch[/quote]

My version of "truth", I'm glad I have broken the mirror.

Attachments: 396801_495039327177926_1160695380_n.jpg (22 KB)  
Date: January 21, 2013 05:25PM

Yeah, I loved the part of the video about "polishing one's own mirror." From most of the gakker cult members that I ever knew (especially the most intolerant of them all - the so-called "leaders"), they are polishing their mirror with a dirty rag (based on how they treat and manipulate people).

Not only is the video full of meaningless jargon / gibberish, the guy narrating it is also in love with his own voice and over doing it. That's exactly the kind of gakkai cult propaganda that I remember from my time in at almost every meeting I ever attended. Some pontificating "leader" full of his / herself, espousing empty drivel, while clutching Ikeda's "guidance" to their chest.

- Hitch

Date: January 21, 2013 07:13PM

I have a serious question. Take a look at some of these photos:

1. [www.buddhawest.org]
2. [www.buddhawest.org]
3. [www.buddhawest.org]
4. [www.buddhawest.org]
5. [www.buddhawest.org]

He's like this in many photos that I've seen of him.

Is Danny Nagashima (Cult Boss U.S.A Branch) dealing with a full deck?

Typical gakkai cult drone hyper feigned enthusiasm, btw.

- Hitch

Date: January 22, 2013 01:30AM

"Yeah, I loved the part of the video about "polishing one's own mirror." From most of the gakker cult members that I ever knew (especially the most intolerant of them all - the so-called "leaders"), they are polishing their mirror with a dirty rag (based on how they treat and manipulate people)." - Hitch

Oh gawd, not that "polishing one's own mirror" garbage again! It's the purest arrogance and narcissism! "It's all about MEEEEE!!!"

I love that picture you posted, 67! Reminds me of something I saw last month...I was driving down this road, and there was a sign for, I dunno, Pilates or some other exercise class next to an office building. And someone had put a large sign above it that read, "YOU ARE NOT FAT" *giggle*

One of the priorities in the SGI is "youthful exuberance". So Danny Nagashima's playing his part. But, frankly, he's always been like that. I first met him in the early 1990s, and he was like that. It's that...wait for it...A! A! O! spirit :D I think that's one of the reasons he got the nod for that position, because that exuberance comes naturally to him. I don't think I'd want to go to a basketball game with him, though! He'd probably accidentally spill something on someone from jumping up and down in excitement!

I have an odd memory. Back when I was still a new member, I had to wait 8 months or so to get my gohonzon. Back in those days, you had to wait until the priests made a trip to your area (I was in Minnesota and our closest temple was Chicago), and they didn't come until they'd signed up a goodly number of people. But that summer, 1987, was something stupid - a NSA (Gakkai) parade in Philadelphia to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Liberty Bell or some such nonsense nobody cares about but boy does it sound PATRIOTIC!! I was in Kotekitai (*snork*) and, because I was such a good marcher (I had marching band experience), I was one of the YWD carrying the banner for the combined Kotekitai. I was on the right hand side, which coincidentally turned out to be the side with the VIP Viewing area. We're marching along, and I saw George Williams standing next to Patrick Duffy. Later, other YWD said things to me like, "Did you see Mr. Williams? Didn't he look young??" Weird stuff like that. I had the opportunity to have a good look at him, and I thought he looked...scheming. Like he was standing there planning something. He certainly wasn't looking at *us*!

So anyhow, that was a long overnight bus trip, from Minneapolis to Philadelphia. At one point, in Philadelphia, we were all waiting in a parking lot for the buses to come pick us up and take us on a tour of the city. It was sunny; I'm fair-skinned, so I had my back turned to the sun. I was told to turn my right shoulder to the sun so that I would be properly lined up, facing the same way as everyone else, to wait in nice straight lines for the buses (that never came). I refused - why should I get a half sunburn just for the sake of someone else's fixation/obsession with people being lined up just so???

Date: January 22, 2013 01:45AM

It's Daisaku Ikeda Day! Happy Daisaku Ikeda Day, everybody!

Oh, wait - it's Martin Luther King Jr. Day O_O

I get those two mixed up O_O

Yeah, Daisaku Ikeda has done *SO MUCH* for the cause of ridding society of intolerance and whatnot *ahem*

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: January 22, 2013 02:15AM

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a really long time but I am glad to see this message board is alive and well. @tsukimoto, as always I agree with you completely. You wrote that about leaving SGI you had some initial fear/discomfort, "But as time went by, I began to feel a sense of relief and freedom... I didn't have to sit through meetings where everyone was talking about how great President Ikeda was, and feel like an outsider because I didn't think so. Near the end of my time in SGI, there were just too many things that I couldn't accept...and yet I was still trying to convince myself that I should believe SGI's views. It was a relief, so freeing, to say honestly, "No, I just don't believe this, and I have the right to see things the way I see them." I also love that I can just enjoy talking to people, and spending time with them --- without feeling that I've got to get them to chant and come to a meeting. And after over six years -- I've had no disasters. Just the usual ups and downs of life." This forum helped me get past the anxiety I had about leaving SGI. I too have had NO disasters. In fact, my life has been great and I don't feel gulity or selfish about wanting to spend time doing other things. Toward the end I really was convinced that SGI might offer a viable alternative to traditional religion--including other Buddhist practices--but I also realized that Americans are simply not interested in this organization. Perhaps youthful naivete led me to believe otherwise at one time but after watching so many guests and members come and go I finally realized that I tried, we tried, and almost no one is interested in SGI, at least not in the US. I continue to do gongyo and chant everyday because I enjoy the structure and the experience but I have lost a lot of the superstitious thinking I used to have. Many religions have their own version of superstition and fear-instilling. I suspect that certain members of my district have missed me--at least I hope so but if they don't that's ok too. When I think back I cannot believe I did SGI for over 20 years. I too enjoyed some things about the organization and the practice but I eventually disliked the idea that the practice can help you control outcomes. If that were true the members would be much more successful professionally, romantically, and financially. The majority are not which is fine--they are human--but the publications and leaders constantly peddle SGI as a "get rich" or "get successful" method--particularly if goals are set with Ikeda in mind: if he's your mentor. This is bullshit. He was never my mentor and I did well in all respects. Even when I had extreme difficulties, I overcame them and he was not my declared mentor. I hope that the members, especially the young people, don't genuinely believe they need to follow him in order to succeed. I suspect most members filter out the stuff they really don't accept and remain with the organization for other reasons. To this day I am not sure how I feel about my long time participation. I don't think it brought anything bad into my life. Now it's more like a an old movie ticket found in a pair of pants not worn in a long time. Someone else posted, "Eventually though, I seriously began to READ, READ, READ: Eckhart Tolle, the Dalai Lama...Thich Naht Hanh.. and many others-- After all those years on a starvation diet, I was really hungry for spiritual ideas, so I read widely and hungrily. There are so many beautiful ways to be spiritual and to transform your life-- if you read about other traditions and learn from other spiritual teachers for just a few months-- the superficiality of SGI will begin to be obvious." Oh yeah. That's what happened to me. I had always felt that we members were discouraged from reading other Buddhist sects or teachers. However my curiosity eventually led me to some of those listed in your post (especially Jack Kornfield) and SGI's simplicity became really apparent. The publications rehash the same few goshos and avoid those where Nichiren actually says favorable things about Buddhist priests. Furthermore, SGI's version of Nichiren Buddhism simply does not give a whole lot of practical suggestions for observing your own mind, thoughts, fears etc., and behavior. Everything comes back to the MDM. I felt that the problem was that only Ikeda's perspective (and greatness) were promoted. That's not healthy for an organization that doesn't want to look like a cult--unless it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 02:38AM by doubtful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.