Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: November 04, 2012 06:18AM

For fellow ex-gakkai cult members who are looking for a way out or are already out, I came across this [www.cultclinic.org] and found it to be quite insightful and highly accurate. (Keep in mind, I can't personally speak for the actual group behind it, but their website is an excellent source of information and it is listed in the resources section of this Rick Ross Cult Education website, as well).

In particular, I really like the section on "How to avoid getting into a cult" (the critical thinking portion is gold):

"Learn to cope with stress. When stress is getting the best of us, we are more likely to be seduced by someone selling happiness. If you are having difficulty coping, seek help from reputable, trustworthy persons.

Common sources of stress include:

Troubled romances
Academic difficulties
Conflict with and tensions within the family such as parents’ marital problems, domestic violence, alcohol and/or drug abuse by a family member.
Confusion about values and goals.
Physical illness of self, family member, or other loved one
Loneliness
Transitions- for example, moving, changing schools, jobs
Death of loved one
Disillusionment regarding religion or people you once respected
Never be afraid to question other people.
Always be wary of anyone who tries to prevent you from questioning.
Protect your freedom and autonomy.

Learn to recognize common cult-recruitment tactics and situations, beware of:

People who are excessively or inappropriately friendly; there are few genuine instant friendships.
People who are very persistent in trying to get you to join, and won’t take no for answer.
People with invitations to free meals, lectures, and workshops
People who demand secrecy from you.
People who make you feel like there’s something wrong with you if you’re not interested in joining.
People with simplistic answers or solutions to complex world problems.
People who demand secrecy from you
People who try to play on your guilt; you don’t always have to reciprocate a kindness, especially when it may have been a way to manipulate you
People who are vague or evasive. If they are hiding something, it’s usually because they don’t want you to know the real answer.
People who claim to be just like you, so you feel you have a lot in common.
People who confidently promise that they can help you solve your problems, especially when they know little about you
People, who make grand claims about how their group can save mankind, help you achieve enlightenment or show the road to happiness.
People who always seem happy
People who claim they or their group is really special, even the most special
People who promise quick solutions to difficult problems
People who put down reason and critical thinking, and tell you not to ask questions about the group - just open your mind to it.

Ten Steps to Critical Thinking

1.RECOGNIZETHE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "A DEMAND" AND "A REQUEST"
Situations that seem to demand that you act in a certain way.

2. REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN SAY, "NO"

3. RECOGNIZE FALSE DILEMMAS
Always add "None of the above" to any multiple choice before deciding.

4. SLEEP ON IT
Recognize pressure to decide quickly. Don’t act under stress.

5. LOOK FOR THE HIDDEN AGENDA
What is really being said? What is NOT being said? To whom, by whom, and why is it being said?

6. LOOK FOR LOGICAL FALLACIES
Trust your feelings when things you are being told don't make sense.

7. KNOW WHAT GROUP OR BELIEF A PERSON REPRESENTS
Ask blunt questions and don’t accept vague answers.

8. RECOGNIZE FLATTERY
When receiving lots of compliments, question whether there may be a hidden agenda.

9. ASK QUESTIONS
Challenge authority’s claims.

10. RETAIN YOUR SELF-WORTH
Don’t be afraid to be different."

And the section on "Cult Prevention":

"Teach those you care about that cults are still a problem, that even those who are quite bright and accomplished get pulled in, and how to ask the right questions about an organization in order to make a truly educated decision before getting involved.

Don’t assume only certain people you know are vulnerable. Share what you know with all who will listen.

Remind people of the rights they have which no person or group has the right to take away:

the right to question
the right to doubt
the right to move about freely
the right to define for yourself if you are inherently good or bad
the right to formulate your own life’s goals
the right to decide with whom to spend time
the right to assert your own power in every situation"

Something like the above information would have definitely helped me when I was fighting my way out. On that note, this excerpt would have really hit home with me back when I was confused and on the way out:

"Techniques of undue influence (thought reform)

GROUP PRESSURE and "LOVE BOMBING" discourages doubts and reinforces the need to belong through the use of child - like games, singing, hugging, touching, or flattery.

ISOLATION\SEPARATION creates inability or lack of desire to verify information provided by the group with reality.

THOUGHT-STOPPING TECHNIQUES introduce recruit to meditating, chanting, and repetitious activities which, when used excessively, induce a state of high suggestibility and dependency on the group.

FEAR and GUILT induced by eliciting confessions to produce intimacy and to reveal fears and secrets, to create emotional vulnerability by overt and covert threats, as well as alternation of punishment and reward.

SLEEP DEPRIVATION encouraged under the guise of spiritual exercises, necessary training, or urgent projects.

SENSORY OVERLOAD forces acceptance of complex new doctrine, goals, and definitions to replace old values by expecting recruit to assimilate masses of information quickly with little opportunity for critical examination."

The $oka gakkai cult meets all of the above, especially the bolded, from my time in, because I experienced all of those listed. Here is further evidence of the bolded [www.youtube.com]. (Excerpt from YouTube clip: "This was my first time attending a Buddhist conferrence, and it litterally blew me away. I can not stress this enough. It was during this chant (which lasted hours) that I realized I would dedicate my life to realizing the great vow of Kosen Rufu.")

(Note: Laughing at 2:30 as they "get out of rhythm", silly, weird - brainwashed - conversation at 4:45 min. mark.)

Warning: the YouTube clip can potentially bring flashbacks to any ex-gakkai cult members who have been out for a long time. I can see them sitting on the edge of their seats, legs pressed together, hands cupped in front of their mouths / noses, juzu-bead rubbing, head bobbing up-n-down, and intense staring / focusing on the magic paper in the magic box ......

- Hitch

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: November 04, 2012 07:15AM

More flashback material - sing for The Dear Leader

"Forever Cult Master"

From urban decay areas, [www.youtube.com], to wealthy coastal areas, [www.youtube.com], and Internationally [www.youtube.com], everyone sing for Ikeda. (Very interesting to note, the first clip appears to be the most enthusiastic, the second containing the most asian / half-asian "YOUTH!" members and the third the most "obligatory" performance - including a (new) double mini-Hitler-esque salute from the 2:45 min. mark).

And (nowadays), learn the cult master's fan dance while you are even younger [www.youtube.com].

This all screams out CULT!

Chicago journalist seeks to speak to former SGI members
Posted by: John Greenfield ()
Date: November 06, 2012 12:57AM

I am working on a story for Newcity magazine in Chicago about a monument to Daisaku Ikeda
that was recently installed on public parkland here.

I would like to speak to a former SGI member for their perspective on SGI.
If you are interested in talking with me, please private message me and I'll give you my contact info.

Thanks,

John Greenfield

Re: Chicago journalist seeks to speak to former SGI members
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: November 06, 2012 03:55AM

John Greenfield
I am working on a story for Newcity magazine in Chicago about a monument to Daisaku Ikeda
that was recently installed on public parkland here.

I would like to speak to a former SGI member for their perspective on SGI.
If you are interested in talking with me, please private message me and I'll give you my contact info.

Thanks,

John Greenfield

good luck

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: November 07, 2012 08:12AM

Hitch
For fellow ex-gakkai cult members who are looking for a way out or are already out, I came across this [www.cultclinic.org] and found it to be quite insightful and highly accurate. (Keep in mind, I can't personally speak for the actual group behind it, but their website is an excellent source of information and it is listed in the resources section of this Rick Ross Cult Education website, as well).

In particular, I really like the section on "How to avoid getting into a cult" (the critical thinking portion is gold):

"Learn to cope with stress. When stress is getting the best of us, we are more likely to be seduced by someone selling happiness. If you are having difficulty coping, seek help from reputable, trustworthy persons.

Common sources of stress include:

Troubled romances
Academic difficulties
Conflict with and tensions within the family such as parents’ marital problems, domestic violence, alcohol and/or drug abuse by a family member.
Confusion about values and goals.
Physical illness of self, family member, or other loved one
Loneliness
Transitions- for example, moving, changing schools, jobs
Death of loved one
Disillusionment regarding religion or people you once respected
Never be afraid to question other people.
Always be wary of anyone who tries to prevent you from questioning.
Protect your freedom and autonomy.

Learn to recognize common cult-recruitment tactics and situations, beware of:

People who are excessively or inappropriately friendly; there are few genuine instant friendships.
People who are very persistent in trying to get you to join, and won’t take no for answer.
People with invitations to free meals, lectures, and workshops
People who demand secrecy from you.
People who make you feel like there’s something wrong with you if you’re not interested in joining.
People with simplistic answers or solutions to complex world problems.
People who demand secrecy from you
People who try to play on your guilt; you don’t always have to reciprocate a kindness, especially when it may have been a way to manipulate you
People who are vague or evasive. If they are hiding something, it’s usually because they don’t want you to know the real answer.
People who claim to be just like you, so you feel you have a lot in common.
People who confidently promise that they can help you solve your problems, especially when they know little about you
People, who make grand claims about how their group can save mankind, help you achieve enlightenment or show the road to happiness.
People who always seem happy
People who claim they or their group is really special, even the most special
People who promise quick solutions to difficult problems
People who put down reason and critical thinking, and tell you not to ask questions about the group - just open your mind to it.

Ten Steps to Critical Thinking

1.RECOGNIZETHE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "A DEMAND" AND "A REQUEST"
Situations that seem to demand that you act in a certain way.

2. REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN SAY, "NO"

3. RECOGNIZE FALSE DILEMMAS
Always add "None of the above" to any multiple choice before deciding.

4. SLEEP ON IT
Recognize pressure to decide quickly. Don’t act under stress.

5. LOOK FOR THE HIDDEN AGENDA
What is really being said? What is NOT being said? To whom, by whom, and why is it being said?

6. LOOK FOR LOGICAL FALLACIES
Trust your feelings when things you are being told don't make sense.

7. KNOW WHAT GROUP OR BELIEF A PERSON REPRESENTS
Ask blunt questions and don’t accept vague answers.

8. RECOGNIZE FLATTERY
When receiving lots of compliments, question whether there may be a hidden agenda.

9. ASK QUESTIONS
Challenge authority’s claims.

10. RETAIN YOUR SELF-WORTH
Don’t be afraid to be different."

And the section on "Cult Prevention":

"Teach those you care about that cults are still a problem, that even those who are quite bright and accomplished get pulled in, and how to ask the right questions about an organization in order to make a truly educated decision before getting involved.

Don’t assume only certain people you know are vulnerable. Share what you know with all who will listen.

Remind people of the rights they have which no person or group has the right to take away:

the right to question
the right to doubt
the right to move about freely
the right to define for yourself if you are inherently good or bad
the right to formulate your own life’s goals
the right to decide with whom to spend time
the right to assert your own power in every situation"

Something like the above information would have definitely helped me when I was fighting my way out. On that note, this excerpt would have really hit home with me back when I was confused and on the way out:

"Techniques of undue influence (thought reform)

GROUP PRESSURE and "LOVE BOMBING" discourages doubts and reinforces the need to belong through the use of child - like games, singing, hugging, touching, or flattery.

ISOLATION\SEPARATION creates inability or lack of desire to verify information provided by the group with reality.

THOUGHT-STOPPING TECHNIQUES introduce recruit to meditating, chanting, and repetitious activities which, when used excessively, induce a state of high suggestibility and dependency on the group.

FEAR and GUILT induced by eliciting confessions to produce intimacy and to reveal fears and secrets, to create emotional vulnerability by overt and covert threats, as well as alternation of punishment and reward.

SLEEP DEPRIVATION encouraged under the guise of spiritual exercises, necessary training, or urgent projects.

SENSORY OVERLOAD forces acceptance of complex new doctrine, goals, and definitions to replace old values by expecting recruit to assimilate masses of information quickly with little opportunity for critical examination."

The $oka gakkai cult meets all of the above, especially the bolded, from my time in, because I experienced all of those listed. Here is further evidence of the bolded [www.youtube.com]. (Excerpt from YouTube clip: "This was my first time attending a Buddhist conferrence, and it litterally blew me away. I can not stress this enough. It was during this chant (which lasted hours) that I realized I would dedicate my life to realizing the great vow of Kosen Rufu.")

(Note: Laughing at 2:30 as they "get out of rhythm", silly, weird - brainwashed - conversation at 4:45 min. mark.)

Warning: the YouTube clip can potentially bring flashbacks to any ex-gakkai cult members who have been out for a long time. I can see them sitting on the edge of their seats, legs pressed together, hands cupped in front of their mouths / noses, juzu-bead rubbing, head bobbing up-n-down, and intense staring / focusing on the magic paper in the magic box ......

- Hitch

Hitch, when I voted today, this post kept coming home for me. It is about freedom and democracy. As American citizens, the rights that you outlined above are what it's all about...not only in terms of Government, but in terms of what gave birth to this nation. It is the same for choosing what feels right in one's heart regarding their spiritual beliefs. In SGI, there is no democracy, no freedom of speech. Going through the realizations I've had the last few years regarding this fact, it made me all the more proud to get out and vote.

This post of yours crystallized so much. Thank you, Hitch.

Date: November 12, 2012 02:39AM

I am new to this forum. I have pracaticed with the SGI for 35 years. I stopped chanting a month ago. I have spent the past two weeks reading every post here. It has proved to confirm my growing suspicions and concerns that my involvement with this group needs to end. I look forward to sharing my saga of cult behavior and organizational abuse that I both witnessed and directly experienced. I will be returning my Gohonzon to the SGI and insisting that my name and my children's names are removed from their membership roles. I am embarrassed that I have been associated with this for so long and suspended my critical thinking to ignore what I saw as false, hypocritical, arrogant and aggressive behavior on the part of leaders who profess to be spiritual and grounded in Buddhist principles. Although I always felt like a "square peg in a round hole" and that I was a misfit, I turned myself into a pretzel at times to accomodate the demands on my time and energy. I feel very depressed that I have wasted so much of my valuable life on this and that I introduced so many people to this, especially family members who are still practicing. I have not disclosed my decision to anyone yet, except anonymously here.

Posted by: simplify ()
Date: November 12, 2012 09:29AM

WaywardBuddhistWoman
I am new to this forum. I have pracaticed with the SGI for 35 years. I stopped chanting a month ago. I have spent the past two weeks reading every post here. It has proved to confirm my growing suspicions and concerns that my involvement with this group needs to end.... I feel very depressed that I have wasted so much of my valuable life on this and that I introduced so many people to this, especially family members who are still practicing. I have not disclosed my decision to anyone yet, except anonymously here.

Dear Wayward,

Welcome to a kindred spirit.

I too read through all of the posts here and became increasingly shocked that I had been unable to see the truth about N$A/$GI for so long. Especially as it had been staring me in the face. I was 'in' for 20 years. I am just so glad, however, that I am free of the pseudo buddhist cult-think that I don't waste my time regretting what happened. I do wish, though, that more true believer members of SGI could see behind the curtain, sooner rather than later and begin to live a happy, fulfilling life that is not slavishly dedicated to growing the Ikeda family's billion dollar money machine. The trouble is that the chanting actually helps to suspend one's critical faculties, so it is very hard to really look at the evidence unless you stop chanting. $GI has very clever techniques to make sure it's members keep chanting 'no matter what' - which means they are prevented from thinking critically.

I look forward to hearing your story, and be assured you will feel free and happy to be away from the org very soon!

All the best,
Simplify

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: November 12, 2012 02:17PM

WaywardBuddhistWoman
I am new to this forum. I have pracaticed with the SGI for 35 years. I stopped chanting a month ago. I have spent the past two weeks reading every post here. It has proved to confirm my growing suspicions and concerns that my involvement with this group needs to end. I look forward to sharing my saga of cult behavior and organizational abuse that I both witnessed and directly experienced. I will be returning my Gohonzon to the SGI and insisting that my name and my children's names are removed from their membership roles. I am embarrassed that I have been associated with this for so long and suspended my critical thinking to ignore what I saw as false, hypocritical, arrogant and aggressive behavior on the part of leaders who profess to be spiritual and grounded in Buddhist principles. Although I always felt like a "square peg in a round hole" and that I was a misfit, I turned myself into a pretzel at times to accomodate the demands on my time and energy. I feel very depressed that I have wasted so much of my valuable life on this and that I introduced so many people to this, especially family members who are still practicing. I have not disclosed my decision to anyone yet, except anonymously here.

Hi WBW! While reading the first few lines of your short experience I choked up for a second. I really hope you won't stop chanting for long because if you do, you will have affirmed their lie that one can not continue to chant without them. They stress mechanical chanting because, were they to stress the practice of faith that Nichiren advocated, it becomes apparent that there is no need for the Soka Gakkai. I disagree that the chanting itself causes one to to suspend their faculty of critical thinking. Nichiren Daishonin and many other Daimoku chanters, even today, have superb critical thinking faculties. The problem is mindless chanting, a warped faith and lack of serious study. My two cents.

Nichijew

Posted by: holly_golightly ()
Date: November 12, 2012 09:41PM

WaywardBuddhistWoman

Hi Wayward

Thanks for posting. I also spent time reading this forum when I decided to stop practicing with SGI and found it really helpful to read everyone's experiences. It made me realise how much I had been taken in, always blaming myself rather than wanting to criticise the organisation, so I can relate very much to your feelings of being misfit. I have to say how refreshing it is to find my critical thinking skills again - although I need a bit of practice! I also have members of family still practicing so I have to be very careful what I say as I don't want to hurt them.

I can understand you might feel depressed at this moment - it is always painful to admit that something one has put everything into isn't what we thought it was. I'm sure that a lot of people on this forum can relate to feeling this at some point - I certainly have. But as I become more myself I am really enjoying being able to speak to people on their level without a hidden agenda. I actually feel a lot closer with my friends and family now (the non-practicing ones) because I can now be more honest and I don't have to pretend everything is great (so I can live up to 'Sensei's expectations').

Nichijew - I understand and respect your point about chanting but personally I had to stop everything that I associated with the SGI and that included chanting. For me it was too tied up with the fear of what happens if you stop chanting. I needed to prove to myself that there was nothing to fear. I haven't ruled out chanting for the rest of my life but am happier at this time not chanting. I guess we are all different and we all need to find the best way for ourselves to break free of all the brainwashing.

Wayward - I am very much looking forward to reading your experiences - it is great to have this forum where we can share these things we have in common and hopefully be able to laugh about it in time.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: November 13, 2012 03:17AM

Hi Wayward,

a warm welcome! If you continue to chant ot not is entrely up to you, but do take your time to detox! After so many years ist and experience that will stick with you, but it depends what you make of it. If yiu still have an interest in Buddhism then start anew. What you have doen in the last decades had little to do with buddhism.

Free your mind though and please be gentle with yourself .... what has happened has happened ... welcome aboard here though as ist sites like these that may help those who are not to involved yet ... I too still have a family memeber in the cult and its hard to watch how they close their minds to reason.

Good luck
Rothaus

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.