Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: October 25, 2012 07:30AM

simplify
Hitch
(Discovered this fellow via Nichijew's site.) General perceptions of $oka Gakkai (International) inside vs. outside the motherland:

1. [www.youtube.com]
2. [www.youtube.com]

Hitch, thanks so much for posting these links, they are incredibly informative. i really like the guy's reasoned tone. IMHO They should be required watching for anyone applying to receive Gohonzon from $GI.

SF

The cult org. and its repercussions (or potential aftershocks) strike back. Both clips have now been removed. I'm not at all surprised, either.

simplify
Rothaus
Hi there,

got a call lately from a cult-member. I was asked if I want my name being being part of the foundations of some sort of a culture centre for "peace" in the cult homeland.
It was strange in a way as I was confronted with the cult lingo again --- I asked that my name shall not be mentioned. Strange thing ...

That reminds me, does anyone know what happens to all those endless group photographs that we had to endure after every trivial activity and training course? I'm guessing this is a Japanese cultural thing, as I've seen Japanese tourists taking lots of apparently random photos, but is this also a cult mind control bonding exercise as well? There must be millions of these photos from all over the world.

SFY

I still have many of mine. I keep them as a reminder of my time in, as a dumb brainwashed unknowing cult member. I might give them a viewing every "x"-number of years, for a good laugh and to share with others who find it hard to believe that I grew up in a pseudo-buddhist cult org..

Sometimes I also wonder what ever became of many of those fellow members. I've noticed that a few have gone on to become "official" cult salaried "leaders" and even some of the big whig "leaders" from then are still walking along in cult org. and participating its activities (from YouTube clips) - much slower and much older now, but STILL partaking in the literally same ol' stupid crap, too (gakkai songs, amateur skits, silly antics, etc.). The most striking thing about it is, that their minds have not grown one bit or expanded at all beyond the cult bubble that they have been stuck inside for their entire lives. The younger ones have just gotten pulled in deeper and the older ones are like some sort of pathetic animal that has fallen down a well and has become content to live out the remainder of their lives down inside in the wet, dank, putrid darkness of The Cult Master's Burrow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 25, 2012 01:57PM

Fellow ex-cult members, I just came across this and don't know if it has ever been posted here before, but it is my first time ever, reading it.

(Reverse) confirmation bias from Nichiren Shoshu Myokan-Ko Official Website: [myokan-ko.net]

Some other interesting reading from the links on the left side of the website re: $oka Gakkai's Deviations, including a "Gakkai Funerals are Bizarre!" one.

The blatant fear mongering, manipulation and ignorant dogmatism (from both sides), in my opinion, is just plain abhorrent.

Posted by: Jeenia ()
Date: October 26, 2012 07:12AM

I know it has been a long time since I posted here I posted a while back about my friend in the SGI, I wanted to give an update. I gave her this thread to read and she told me she doesn't read stuff online that posts about SGI because they are from Shoshu and are all lies. Also I didn't jump form cult to cult I thought Falun Gong was like Tai Chi. I just did the movements I went to the local group at a park near me that did the movements and they told me I could not join them until I read the books I got the books online for free and read them.... Yeah, I ran as far away from thoes people as possible. I am still practicing Nichiren Buddhism but as an Independent and studying other buddhist writings and sutras. :)

I am sad my friend thinks that way about SGI and won't read the negative stuff about it, but people will believe what they want.

Posted by: Jeenia ()
Date: October 26, 2012 07:23AM

What is everyones view on this? Planned Giving to SGI.

" What Is Planned Giving?

Planned Giving is the making of a gift to SGI-USA by including SGI-USA as a beneficiary in a provision of your will, estate document, or transfer during life. The gift may be money, real estate, shares of stock, life insurance proceeds, proceeds from pension funds, IRAs or 401(k) plans or other property which can be readily sold. The gifts can take effect either during life or after death.

As the name implies, Planned Giving requires making a plan and thinking clearly about how you want to distribute your assets. Outlined below are several ways you can insure that your desires are carried out. SGI-USA has a national staff of professionals who are available for consultation on a confidential basis.

A "beneficiary" is a person or organization that receives property through a Will, trust, life insurance policy or other estate document. A "donor" is the person giving the property to the beneficiary. A donor may have one or many beneficiaries. Beneficiaries can be organizations or persons and can be given unequal amounts of property."

"What Is the Most Common Way to Make a Planned Gift to SGI-USA?

The "bequest in a will" is the most common and easiest way to make a gift to SGI-USA. A bequest is property specified in a will naming a beneficiary (recipient) of the specified property. A "will" is a signed legal document that states the details of the will maker's decisions as to the distribution of his or her property upon death. A will must be written, signed and witnessed according to the law of your State. A will can be changed at any time before death.

Examples of bequests: Long Tom Member has practiced Nichiren Buddhism for twenty years. Although he was broke at the beginning of his practice, he has since accumulated a comfortable amount of assets and job security. Long Tom attributes his change in fortune to changing his attitude towards work and his relationships with others. Following President Ikeda's guidance, he became "indispensable" at his work place. He "created harmonious relations with his colleagues and superiors, using wisdom and discretion along the way." As a result of his practice, he was promoted four times and became the third ranking executive at his company.

With his children grown and he and his wife comfortably set, Long Tom amended his will (a codicil) by making a bequest to SGI-USA, using the services his family lawyer. His bequest reads:

I give, devise and bequeath to the Soka Gakkai International-USA of 606 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, California 90401, a not-for-profit-corporation of California and an exempt religious organization under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code the amount of $xx,xxx (xx,xxx dollars). I further direct that interest or other income that may be earned by said bequest shall also be paid to the Soka Gakkai-USA from the date of my decease until distributed.

Jane Nan Member, Long Tom's wife, is not a Nichiren Buddhist but appreciates his practice because he has gone from an angry man who changed jobs on a regular basis, to a valued, respected executive and loving husband and father. John also was a great help to Jane's father during his final illness. Jane decides to leave (devise) a piece of land she got as a child to SGI-USA. Jane's bequest reads the same as John's except that instead of "$xx,xxx (xx,xxx dollars)" the legal description of the land is used:

"lot 4, block 2 in the Cinder Block subdivision, commonly know as 888 Tarantula Place, assessor's parcel number 7711, all within the City of Nukedville, NV 89111."

[www.americangongyo.org]

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: October 26, 2012 09:48AM

Jeenia
What is everyones view on this? Planned Giving to SGI.

" What Is Planned Giving?

Planned Giving is the making of a gift to SGI-USA by including SGI-USA as a beneficiary in a provision of your will, estate document, or transfer during life. The gift may be money, real estate, shares of stock, life insurance proceeds, proceeds from pension funds, IRAs or 401(k) plans or other property which can be readily sold. The gifts can take effect either during life or after death.

As the name implies, Planned Giving requires making a plan and thinking clearly about how you want to distribute your assets. Outlined below are several ways you can insure that your desires are carried out. SGI-USA has a national staff of professionals who are available for consultation on a confidential basis.

A "beneficiary" is a person or organization that receives property through a Will, trust, life insurance policy or other estate document. A "donor" is the person giving the property to the beneficiary. A donor may have one or many beneficiaries. Beneficiaries can be organizations or persons and can be given unequal amounts of property."

"What Is the Most Common Way to Make a Planned Gift to SGI-USA?

The "bequest in a will" is the most common and easiest way to make a gift to SGI-USA. A bequest is property specified in a will naming a beneficiary (recipient) of the specified property. A "will" is a signed legal document that states the details of the will maker's decisions as to the distribution of his or her property upon death. A will must be written, signed and witnessed according to the law of your State. A will can be changed at any time before death.

Examples of bequests: Long Tom Member has practiced Nichiren Buddhism for twenty years. Although he was broke at the beginning of his practice, he has since accumulated a comfortable amount of assets and job security. Long Tom attributes his change in fortune to changing his attitude towards work and his relationships with others. Following President Ikeda's guidance, he became "indispensable" at his work place. He "created harmonious relations with his colleagues and superiors, using wisdom and discretion along the way." As a result of his practice, he was promoted four times and became the third ranking executive at his company.

With his children grown and he and his wife comfortably set, Long Tom amended his will (a codicil) by making a bequest to SGI-USA, using the services his family lawyer. His bequest reads:

I give, devise and bequeath to the Soka Gakkai International-USA of 606 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, California 90401, a not-for-profit-corporation of California and an exempt religious organization under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code the amount of $xx,xxx (xx,xxx dollars). I further direct that interest or other income that may be earned by said bequest shall also be paid to the Soka Gakkai-USA from the date of my decease until distributed.

Jane Nan Member, Long Tom's wife, is not a Nichiren Buddhist but appreciates his practice because he has gone from an angry man who changed jobs on a regular basis, to a valued, respected executive and loving husband and father. John also was a great help to Jane's father during his final illness. Jane decides to leave (devise) a piece of land she got as a child to SGI-USA. Jane's bequest reads the same as John's except that instead of "$xx,xxx (xx,xxx dollars)" the legal description of the land is used:

"lot 4, block 2 in the Cinder Block subdivision, commonly know as 888 Tarantula Place, assessor's parcel number 7711, all within the City of Nukedville, NV 89111."

Anybody who does this is a SUCKER! Why leave anything to a multi-billion dollar fake religious org and the Ikeda family! Their minds are washed and dried, these culties. Sad.

Date: October 26, 2012 09:54AM

Hitch, I tried to view a couple of the videos you posted and they were already taken down. Why do you think they do this, what are they afraid of? I would ask the same question of Jeenia's friend, what is she afraid of?

Date: October 26, 2012 10:05AM

That myokan site is good reading.

Date: October 26, 2012 10:21AM

The american gongyo site is authored by a former Chicago youth division member, and there are pictures from when I was in, during the 70's. The begging part of the site is awful, but I enjoyed the pictures, especially of him hugged up with that Linda Johnson, an "Ikeda Woman" if there ever was one. Barf.

Date: October 26, 2012 03:58PM

Freeheartandmind
Hitch, I tried to view a couple of the videos you posted and they were already taken down. Why do you think they do this, what are they afraid of?

He mentioned that he was sticking his neck out by making the vids, as he is so-called "friends" with a few people still on the inside of the cult org.. (I'm acquainted with many as well, but would never go so far as to call a single one of them my "friend.") What's he afraid of? Being targeted by wacko fundamentalists and harassed. Depending on where he is currently at, both residence and career wise, it could very well be reasonable concerns on his part.

Freeheartandmind
The american gongyo site is authored by a former Chicago youth division member, and there are pictures from when I was in, during the 70's. The begging part of the site is awful, but I enjoyed the pictures, especially of him hugged up with that Linda Johnson, an "Ikeda Woman" if there ever was one. Barf.

I checked out some of those photo gallery pics. Got a kick out of the description "historic sgi-nsa" photos. Typical brainwashed cult propaganda over blowing the significance of everything, trying to turn random meaningless events into some sort of glorious golden memory engraved forever in Cousin Rufus' official log book. I was a kid back in those times, but I do indeed recognize many of those faces (Ted Osaki, Pasqual Olivera, Richard Sasaki, Bob Hasegawa, and a few others, not by name, but by face only), the must have ventured out to the west coast at some point, as well. A small world indeed, the cult org..

-Hitch

Date: October 27, 2012 04:56AM

The two removed vids. are now replaced by this single one [www.youtube.com]. Recommended viewing. Looks like he has added the response of another Japanese national to support his position.

I believe he may be responding to this fellow's clips (BuddhistCults) [www.youtube.com] (although I agree with much of what he says, he's a bit hard to listen to due to his idiosyncratic manner of speaking, at least for me) and the large number of negative / dislike votes his $oka Gakkai cult clips have received. To be completely honest, however, I think his negative votes have more to due with the way he speaks, rather than with what he is actually saying. (For the record, I don't know anything about the "Goenka Vipassana" group that he talks about in his other vids., but it is discussed on this mb [forum.culteducation.com].)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 05:18AM by Hitch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.