Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Upgrayed ()
Date: September 23, 2012 03:01AM

Right, and wage war on Cults which rely on mind control and brainwashing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: September 23, 2012 03:08AM

This thread has made hundreds/thousands possibly, start to ask questions about SGI.
Most likely, even many SGI true believers read it, from the privacy of their home, and reflect.

How do people leave SGI?
By just telling and reading the truth about SGI.
There are no deprogramming techniques even needed. Just read the FACTS about SGI, and that will do it for many people.

Of course many others will not read anything that is not SGI propaganda, so they would not read a thread like this.

How to reach people?

Just tell the honest truth. Tell it like it is.
No need to try and sugar-coat the facts. Just tell the truth.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:10AM

udgrayed
If all we do is help one person leave or from entering the SGI cult, we have succeeded. This thread has sure helped me.

Well I actually made one or two people think twice about SGI. It was on a Buddhist forum (non-english) where I simply tried to reflect my reservations and also mentioned this forum. Strangely enough they were quite taken by the chanting and so forth but quite disturbed (no wonder) by the ikedaism taking place. In the end they decided to keep their distance to SGI.
I believe its worth while strenthening peoples instincts - I mean I was in my teens when I joined back in the 80s, but I must admit in the back of my mind there was that voice saying something was fishy. Now in any other "mainstream" faith one would likely be enciouraged to voive those doubts maybe even openly discuss them and even find like mined people. In most christian congregations that I know one would have conservatives, liberals just as in normal life. Not so in SGI, noooo its the develish functions lurking to consume the good fortune one has accumulated.
As mentioned SGIists do not live in seclusion not in gated communities --- having said that in Japan they do partly. Anyway ... at least here in the west they seem part of society ... but its the maount of activities and meeting taking place from brass bands, educators groups, diversity groups (GLBT) evena marmalade cooking groups ... not to forget childreen groups that by time one IS detached from society and the friends one may have left are out there to be shakubuked.
When I left (though the backdoor I must admit) I for months now and again messages even form the national SGI leader on my answering machine saying he welcomes critical minds. Hell yea ...I was shunned when I was speaking my mind ... in the end it was the obvious clear absence of common sense ... A SGI-Japan leader speaking of NST mebeners and priets as a tumor ... sorry it sounded facist to me at times.
What truely would be helpful to have a page in the internet that lists documented facts on SGI at this point its only of marginal interest to what is going on even with the media.

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: September 23, 2012 10:13AM

Rothaus: "What truely would be helpful to have a page in the internet that lists documented facts on SGI at this point its only of marginal interest to what is going on even with the media."

Something like this? [www.culteducation.com]

Date: September 23, 2012 10:46AM

Anticult: Many people would argue that classical Buddhism is "atheist"!

But most would agree that this thread is mainly about SGI and the problems with SGI.
Getting into technical and philosophical sidebars about "God" and all that stuff is cleary off-topic, right?"

In my last word about atheism, Anticult is correct, there is technically no supreme being in Buddhism, but I have read about Buddhist gods of protection and such. There are also Buddhist devils. Buddhist gods and devils confuse me, but I don't want to go off-topic.

Yes, this thread discusses SGI and it's problems, but within the context of the experiences of those who have left the cult and their families. It is not just a clinical expose, but is a very real chronicle of personal journies in and out of the cult. Going up rabbit trails (sidebars, as Anticult calls them) about God and stuff is not clearly off topic, in my never to be humble opinion. Some people need these discussions as part of their recovery.

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: September 23, 2012 10:47AM

Upgrayed - I can relate to your use of the word "Bullshit" as a survival mechanism. And it is helpful reading that word in the context of what was always to be considered infallible teachings.

There are several moments in this forum in which I thought people were pushing the envelope in what seemed fair to say about SGI, but that started on page 1 for me and only because my own experience was limited to opinions from people who were never part of SGI, who had limited access to the group dynamics, and members who just seemed like general grumps who weren't chanting enough,(this is when I was "in"). I had read Cult Awareness network criticism years ago, but was lulled back in. So obviously I needed stronger medicine and personal anecdotes similar to my experiences. With my progress through this forum, my psyche became more brave and almost giddy in realizing I wasn't alone.

Now if you want to have some flashbacks or if you want to avoid flashbacks like some posters may get from watching videos of gakkai activities, consider the new feature film The Master. (I'll try to avoid spoilers) Watching a leader control with loaded language and balderdash while the dead-eyed flock remain lifeless or nod in approval was gut wrenching and affirming at the same time. Never mind comparisons with Scientology, you can see SGI in this movie. I'll spare extensive thoughts on this for now but share what I thought about during an especially long thought reform process in the film. I couldn't tell how many days were passing exactly during the concentrated efforts of brainwashing but I thought of how effectively SGI members are kept attached to various hitching posts along the way during a years worth of practice. For example, Your propaganda of the week: The weird tribune, Your Propaganda of the month: Living Buddhism. Both now required, by new members at least. Your Monthly Discussion meeting, World Peace Gongyo once a month. Some divisional gathering, Some group phone call, member care and planning meeting at least once a month if you are a leader. With child-like enthusiasm you can look forward to New years gongyo, March 16, May 5th and your glorious financial effort which might just be the granddaddy of many other $$$ that year. (Did you also buy at least one Ikeda Book that year?) Some Ikeda holiday in August with a youth division campaign attached. November acknowledgement of Nichiren. Somewhere in there is your own Gohonzon birthday. You chant abundant daimoku and part of the sutra twice a day, if you are a good disciple, and probably join some 1 hour tozos here and there. All that reinforcement and language from members that is unlike any in the outside world. If you are a leader and hear any form of dissent you are bound to crack trying to carry some lower dweeb's cognitive dissonance with your own. Both lives always teetering on the edge of denial. No they're not, they're fighting for Cousin Rufus! ugh.
This film The Master is getting a lot of attention. For educational purposes, at the very least, I give it more attention.

Date: September 23, 2012 10:53AM

Upgrayed: "Right, and wage war on Cults which rely on mind control and brainwashing."

Back in the 1970's, NSA had a "Don Quixote" theme for cultural festivals, your comment reminded me of this. To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe, for cousin rufus, that is. By the way, for those of you who may not know, there is history behind the terms cousin rufus and ikea, probably back in the 200's somewhere.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: September 23, 2012 07:05PM

rattyboy
With my progress through this forum, my psyche became more brave and almost giddy in realizing I wasn't alone.

I, too, thought I was alone, until I found this forum. I'm sometimes amazed at how similar all of our stories are and it has also allowed me to connect the dots from events that I was once told were "unique", "once in a lifetime", "golden opportunities" to the reality that they were cult manufactured (nationwide) common reruns just played for different areas and different groups of brainwashed members. I always suspected it, but now I know it (thanks to this board).

rattyboy
This film The Master is getting a lot of attention. For educational purposes, at the very least, I give it more attention.

rattyboy
Now if you want to have some flashbacks or if you want to avoid flashbacks like some posters may get from watching videos of gakkai activities, consider the new feature film The Master.

It's funny that you brought this up. When I saw the trailer, the first thing that I thought of was the sgi cult. I will seek this movie out for the same reasons as you.

rattyboy
Your propaganda of the week: The weird tribune, Your Propaganda of the month: Living Buddhism. Both now required, by new members at least. Your Monthly Discussion meeting, World Peace Gongyo once a month. Some divisional gathering, Some group phone call, member care and planning meeting at least once a month if you are a leader. With child-like enthusiasm you can look forward to New years gongyo, March 16, May 5th and your glorious financial effort which might just be the granddaddy of many other $$$ that year. (Did you also buy at least one Ikeda Book that year?) Some Ikeda holiday in August with a youth division campaign attached. November acknowledgement of Nichiren. Somewhere in there is your own Gohonzon birthday. You chant abundant daimoku and part of the sutra twice a day, if you are a good disciple, and probably join some 1 hour tozos here and there. All that reinforcement and language from members that is unlike any in the outside world.

HAHA! I love the "Weird Tribune" comment! I had also forgotten about gohonzon birthdays. You jarred my memory. They were always going on about this, especially with "new" members. Another manufactured opportunity for everyone to say "CONGRATULATIONS!"

Freeheartandmind
Back in the 1970's, NSA had a "Don Quixote" theme for cultural festivals, your comment reminded me of this. To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe, for cousin rufus, that is. By the way, for those of you who may not know, there is history behind the terms cousin rufus and ikea, probably back in the 200's somewhere.

I remember some of those. I was a kid that was dragged to the Shrine Auditorium for the "200 Years From Now" celebrations. One thing in particular that I remember was how some of those singers and actors on stage looked like they had whacked out crazy eyes while they were performing. Little did I know, how close to the truth it really was.

Some more crazy gakkai cult clips:

6 parts to this set, but these last two show the climax and the ending of a mass protest against $oka Gakkai CULT ties to local prefectural/city governments, [www.youtube.com] (the first 4 clips show the demonstration slowly growing until it reaches this point, where a lady physically tries to push her way into the Police station, at which point the police rally to push the entire demonstration back), [www.youtube.com] (the final part, where the protestors push the envelope to the point of arrest, before deciding they have made their point and back off). The are protesting CULT ties to official government bodies and why the police don't do anything about it. This a ward of Tokyo, where the $oka Cult rules with adherents/followers at all levels. $oka Cult MIB (identifiable by their golden round lapel pins) can periodically be seen in the background filming everything as it happens in the various clips.

These two clips are more gakkai cult stalkers, shadowing people who are distributing anti-gakkai pamphlets, [www.youtube.com] and [www.youtube.com]. (The second one is hilarious. It's a common gakkai cult stalking tactic to pretend to be on a cell phone as they come around you. Apparently, the fellow on the bicycle is one such cultie. As he bicycles past, the camera man speaks out a single word, "KARUTO" (CULT!).

Citizens in Japan know the score and keep in mind, this is the one place on Earth where Cousin Rufus is supposed to reside and all should be bliss. Does it look like it?

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: September 23, 2012 07:19PM

Oh, and here's another where some brainwashed gakkai cult members call the police on the same people who are distributing anti-gakkai-cult literature, [www.youtube.com]. Speak out against the gakkai and get a visit from the police (which in Japan, invariably means 5-6 hours at a Police "Box" (mini-station called a koban) to fill out red-tape paperwork, just to harass you and make you think twice about a repeat visit (even if you are innocent).

Date: September 23, 2012 10:37PM

Hitch: "I had also forgotten about gohonzon birthdays. You jarred my memory. They were always going on about this, especially with "new" members. Another manufactured opportunity for everyone to say "CONGRATULATIONS!"

Gohonzon birthdays were not celebrated when I was in cult NSA. I was shortchanged!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.