Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: September 15, 2012 11:33PM

I have thrown myself into another cult.

I started volunteering for one of the presidential campaigns here in the US. The campaign organization is SO similar to NSA/SGI!!!!! My husband and I are always laughing about the similarities.

There is a huge organization at the top. A whole leadership hierarchy. My city is divided into two groups, and there's a lot of competition going on. Who had the most members attend last week's phone banks? Who made the most phone calls to battleground states? I went to a meeting last week where a special top leader of the campaign attended. There was much excitement that she was going to be there. She was put last on the schedule, and all of the members listened to her inspiring words at the end of the meeting!!

When our candidate was about to accept the nomination, we were told that we needed to have a "watch party". So, several "groups" were going to combine and hold the party at a bar with a big T.V. We were told no, that the organization wanted small, individual meetings in people's houses. OMG, it's just like NSA/SGI!!!! So we did just what they said.

When a volunteer brings a guest to the phone bank, there is a lot of excitement, and attention is showered on him/her. Records are kept as to how many new people attend and how many phone calls are made and by whom. Not sure why, I guess you get brownie points!!!!

Our NSA/SGI "training" has really helped my husband and I be good campaigners. :) My husband recently spent a weekend in a "battleground" state registering voters. In fact, he was just "appointed" as a leader. One of the big-wigs called him to make it official. So much like NSA/SGI!!!!!

I actually am having lots and lots of fun!!!! We have "opened our house" to phone banks/other events. Just like old times!!!!!!

I will be so sad when this is all over in November!!!!

Now, all of this organization and excitement seems perfectly appropriate for a temporary political campaign. But a religious organization? People that get involved with SGI have no idea what they're in for. They join to become Buddhists, but all of a sudden are thrown into this huge "campaign" that has little to do with anything spiritual or religious. SGI has truly lost it's way as a religious organization.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: September 16, 2012 06:01AM

Freeheartandmind
NSA seemed pretty homophobic, I recall no openly gay members. I understand that has changed with SGI, not because they think it is OK to be gay but because the american society's views toward gays has become much more accepting. SGI is a chameleon with no real core values, but will go whichever way the wind is blowing to keep the money rolling in.

Some of the nicest gakkai cult members I ever met and knew were gay/lesbian members. I can't think of even one single individual who ever played the mind or power games and manipulation on me like all of the other "leaders" did. They were just nice, sincere, respectful and very tolerant people for the most part. But, yep, you're right, none were openly out of the closet gay; it was a no-no topic to dwell on or talk about.

Cult members are under the delusion that the org. truly cares about them as "precious" (to use the gakkai cult speak) individuals. GLBT (gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender) members were not respected, accepted or encouraged to be who they were in NSA. In fact, they were given "guidance" to chant more and practice harder to change and become straight. They were also whispered about behind their backs. The cult org.'s 180 turn [www.sgi-usa.org] is nothing more than an opportunity to embrace a whole new group of individuals to easily exploit for the bottom line. Just like the "Peace" movement, this cult just latches on to any cause as a feel-good/sound-good cover to exploit, manipulate, grow and become richer and more powerful - feeding the ego and filling the pockets of its dear leader. It seduces and manipulates already genuine victims (Hiroshima/Nagasaki survivors, gay people - who have been abused for decades, and other vulnerable people) by victimizing them all over again for nothing more than its own gain.

I have no respect whatsoever for this pseudo-buddhist cult organization. It only uses people up like a steamroller that squeezes everything it can get out of you for as long as it can, before rolling along in whatever different direction has the highest concentration of potential resources to continue the extraction process from.

Date: September 17, 2012 12:55PM

~ 15 min. clip from Japan [www.youtube.com] demonstrating the gakkai cult vs. Nichiren Shoshu (Taiseki-ji). Clip shows gakkai cult member fanaticism (taken in the early 90's, at the start of the rift). Middle of the clip is background history, showing the devastating effect it has on the head temple (empty streets, empty shops, vacant transportation stations, etc.). 11:20 min. mark, gakkai cult members disrupt a meeting, after the priest orders them to leave the premises, they practically physically attack the priest, until he leaves.

Footage of a massive culture festival put on by all gakkai cult divisions from $oka Kindergarten all the way up to $oka Cult University members follows. As in right from the song "Sensei our tears are flowing", literally, as the dear leader speaks "You did very well, thank you. Truly, thank you." Clip ends with brainwashed Japanese WD fawning of the dear leader.

Welcome to the cult in the motherland.

Being tailed by a gakkai cult member (?) around the Nangen clinic in Shinjuku (?), the same place where the dear leader is rumored to have been hospitalized in recent years, [www.youtube.com]. The guy turns around to confront the stalker, who then runs away and disappears. Can't vouch for the accuracy of this clip, but just putting it out there. Incidentally, the dear leader has recently appeared in official photographs (August, 2012) commemorating his joining anniversary. (In one photo, he is being driven around in a mini tri-colored gakkai-mobile.)

The cult marches on.

Date: September 18, 2012 06:28AM

The Anticult
Are the SGI hacks making any "miraculous' sounding claims about Ikeda?

Some people are going to find this hard to believe but the former chairman of the Komeito, Junya Yano, (now a vocal anti-gakkai cult critic) states that the top gakkai cult executives have had serious discussions about the possibility of mummifying the dear leader (as in something like Lenin's tomb) and posthumously elevating the Ikeda family to something equivalent to "Holy" status.

Masami Hisamoto, leader of the cult's art's division in Japan, seen here in the center (along with another Japanese celebrity shill) [blog-imgs-34.fc2.com], in full crazy mode campaigning for a Komeito candidate.

Did a quick search, couldn't come up with this as being posted before (if it has, my apologies):

"*Disclaimer: I realize there are many people involved with the SGI movement that are good, decent people, as this is not a criticism of them. These are my own conclusions from first person testimonies of former members, including two people I know.

A friend of mine, who a few years ago took an interest in Buddhism, recently confided in me some very distressing stories of his time as a member of Soka Gakkai International (SGI). For many years, former members and even close relatives of active members have been sharing stories alleging a ‘cult’ like environment inside the SGI organization. In Japan, the SGI controversy is a big story, involving many allegations of criminal activities including bribery, assault, money laundering, kidnapping and extortion. It is obvious that SGI works differently in different areas and countries, as the stories of some that have been former SGI members have not been inflammatory towards the organization, and have even had some positive things to say. However, as a Buddhist, I feel the massive amount of information out there concerning the conduct of SGI cannot go unexamined.

Many times, it is difficult to objectively place the label of ‘cult’ on an organization, since much of the evidence is anecdotal in nature, usually from former members. However, some serious consideration of these allegations in needed, given the sheer volume of people coming forward with very similar stories over a span of the last three decades. These various stories have circulated online as well as in the mainstream press for quite some time now, with countless websites discussing the experiences of former SGI members, some even forming support groups. The patterns of accusations are fairly similar, and below are the most common ones reported by former members:

-Relentlessly stalking of perspective members in attempts to persuade them to join. Some methods employed were multiple phone calls to the person’s home and work, physically showing up at the person’s home or work and even some reports of being followed and harassed with veiled verbal threats in some cases. New members once in, are treated very well, befriended by other members, including those in authority. Once the person has an emotional investment in the organization, SGI slowly begins the hard sell of increasing their investment of time and money, and the transformation into becoming an SGI advocate.

-Insistence that its members frequently purchase religious paraphernalia, only available through SGI affiliated stores, which they say are required to participate in the SGI activities. There is a strict ban on these products being purchased outside of SGI, and members that have purchased these items from an outside source have been threatened and harassed, and told that “bad karma” will follow them. The primary item to the member is a thing called a Gohonzon scroll. According to the SGI website: “The Gohonzon is the object of devotion, in the form of a scroll, that practitioners of Nichiren Buddhism enshrine in their homes and is the focal point of their daily practice of morning and evening sutra recitation and chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.” The scroll is obtained through a mandatory donation, and if a member leaves the organization, they are required to return the scroll.

-Members are frequently urged to “recruit” new members from the person’s pool of family or friends, or even from complete strangers. This is called “shakubuku” which means ‘to break and subdue.’ Former members do mention the use of monthly quotas that were supposed to be met when working on “shakubuku.” And if these quotas weren’t met, they would be chastised in front of other members for their lack of effort and faith, and told of their increased “bad karma.” Sometimes, it was reported that SGI officials would ask for a list of a member’s family and friends, and pursue recruitment without the consent of the member.

-Chanting is a very important aspect of SGI practice, and members are encouraged to “testify” to other members in an audience format, what material things they have acquired because of diligent chanting. If a person said that a situation in their life wasn’t getting better, they weren’t chanting hard enough or giving enough time and devotion to SGI. Chanting is taught to reduce one’s “bad karma” and increase happiness, and it also said to aid in the progression towards a goal of “kosen-rufu”, or a peaceful harmonic society. Members are also told of the great fortunes that awaited those who put forth enough effort into SGI.

-Critics and former members of SGI have been the subject of intense scrutiny, legal threats and smear campaigns. If a member leaves or threatens to leave, they are subject to various degrees of harassment, usually ending with all the friends they had inside the organization, at the urging of SGI officials, disowning them.

-Members were expected to participate in almost daily meetings and programs, and were again chastised as weak and lacking faith for missing these events. The events were part discussion of Daisaku Ikeda writing’s, the founder of SGI, and part encouragement to recruit new members and purchase additional SGI paraphernalia. These meetings were often also used to praise members who brought in new members, and chastise those who didn’t. This reinforcement is an important part of keeping their members hooked, by pointing out the good things that happened to them in their lives as the direct result of their participation in SGI activities.

These patterns of organizational behavior, from the information supplied by many former members, are typical of many religious cults; Devotion and support to a person, Daisaku Ikeda, and an organization, SGI, are the keys that make one happy and reduce suffering. SGI officials are reported to constantly reinforce that mindset in the form of punishments and rewards to its members, which in turn are trained to recruit new members. Those that spoke up are belittled and shamed, and those that conformed to the program were rewarded, all in a very public manner. The most loyal are put in positions of authority, which is predicated on 'lure, invest, break, remold, rewire and control'; it certainly fits all the definitions of cult like organizations. Many former members have said that the Buddhist teachings, after SGI’s split with the traditional Japanese Nichiren, took a back seat to Daisaku Ikeda own writings and idealization of his personality. It is certainly one thing for a “leader” to exploit the fears, desires and weaknesses of individuals for personal gain; it’s a whole other level of depravity to build an entire self sustaining system for the sole purpose of organizational multiplication.

In the last 10 years, SGI in the US and Canada has changed quite a bit, in attempts to soften their public image after incredibly bad press that SGI received from former members. In fact, as other of these types of organizations have done, such as Scientology, SGI has been known to dig up dirt on anyone who criticizes them or they feel is a threat as a religious rival. This information became public knowledge in several high publicized controversies, which further harmed SGI's image in the public.

So, is SGI in North America a cult? I think there is strong evidence to point that it was, and to some extent, certainly continues to exhibit some of the same strong arm tactics of its past. There are indeed several members who disagree, and argue SGI has been the target of various disgruntled former members and religious rivals. The answer here really is which side of the story you ultimately believe."

Must say, I find the above article to be 100% accurate and a perfect description. The $oka Gakkai (in the motherland and all of its affiliates abroad) is a destructive and manipulative cult, in my personal experience of having been born into, raised and grown up in the pseudo-buddhist organization in both Japan and America.

- Hitch

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: September 18, 2012 07:47AM

"...So, is SGI in North America a cult? I think there is strong evidence to point that it was, and to some extent, certainly continues to exhibit some of the same strong arm tactics of its past. There are indeed several members who disagree, and argue SGI has been the target of various disgruntled former members and religious rivals. The answer here really is which side of the story you ultimately believe."

Must say, I find the above article to be 100% accurate and a perfect description. The $oka Gakkai (in the motherland and all of its affiliates abroad) is a destructive and manipulative cult, in my personal experience of having been born into, raised and grown up in the pseudo-buddhist organization in both Japan and America. "

- Hitch

NSA/SGI was/is definitely a cult, the article you posted is excellent. However, a key marker of a cult is also deception. Such as not telling potential members that SGI is a billion-dollar org, or that you will be expected to worship Ikea, or that harm will befall you if you ever leave them!. Cults mercilessly exploit their victims once they have been drawn into the spider's web by all the sweet talk of chanting for benefits, working for cousin rufus, and the like.

Date: September 18, 2012 07:49AM

"Disgruntled former members"=those who have progressed from ignorance to knowledge.

Date: September 18, 2012 09:30AM

Freeheartandmind
"Disgruntled former members"=those who have progressed from ignorance to knowledge.

Absolutely. The fact that current cult members and the leadership even try to simplistically dismiss critics with such a pejorative broad brush stroke label is ample evidence of their disingenuousness. Anyone steeped in critical thinking can immediately see such a ploy for what it is - simplistic ad hominem, ignorant false dilemma, and ill-natured poisoning of the well (all bread and butter manipulation).

The $oka Gakkai (International) is an object lesson in Cult-101 deception. Ironically, their own self-selected label, the "Value Creation Society" is the very first clue, too.

Posted by: Upgrayed ()
Date: September 18, 2012 10:15AM

Incredible posts.

Anyone who reads the content here will definitely have a contrasting view to the Soka cult narrative. This thread is a great resource for unmasking the SGI.

There is nothing more liberating than exiting a corrupt system. Even if one is only on the fringe, the mere connection is dangerous to your well being.

One should remember that there are bitter members within the organization who will manipulate others as a means to make sure that the SGI cult is gaining in numbers. It seems that these members enjoy manipulating others for the sake of wielding control.

The hierarchy based system generates a pecking order in which members can lord over others below. It's a pyramid scheme and many people attempt or succeed in getting into a position where they can bask in attention and glorification. It's the drive for being the focus of love and attention. Furthermore its a way to control those below you.

The SGI cult is self policing through it's members who play in the Soka rat race to get to the top, so that you can be patted on the head by Ikeda.

How wonderful, this supposedly enlightened cult operates with systems to bring out the worst in people. Through doing this, they keep members preoccupied while fleecing them of their energy, time and money.

It's similar to watching children play on the jungle gym. They will clamor and climb over one another to get to the top position. What a way to harness people's energy towards something primitive.

Of course with people in power at every rung of this tiered structure, there is pressure aimed downward for members to expand the organization, thus allowing one in a leadership position to rise to the next level.

It's basically Amway or some other type of pyramid based scam. What's so pathetic is that there isn't even money to gain. The type of power that people seek in the SGI cult is power through adulation and control.

SGI cult deals with currency of the ego.

Nichiren Daishonin is spinning in his grave at such a high rate of speed that it creates a noise similar to a motor running.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 10:22AM by Upgrayed.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: September 18, 2012 08:57PM

Excellent posts and points. SGI is the original crab bucket... [www.urbandictionary.com]

Nichijew

Date: September 18, 2012 11:59PM

Upgrayed: "SGI cult deals with currency of the ego."

EXCELLENT! Currency of the ego results in REAL currency for Ikea and company (as Hitch notates: $oka Gakkai).

Some would say (and many members do) that SGI-USA is not a cult, no one is forced to live in a compound, or isolated from their family, starved, or prevented from leaving. But these ARE NOT the only markers of a cult. The most significant cult markers, are in my humble opinion, undue influence (current terminology for mind control, which is just plain old mindfuckery), deception, and human being worship. It is hard to see that you have been unduly influenced while your are still heavily in that state. And while no one may physically prevent you from leaving, all the mindfuckery makes it hard to do so, even impossible for some. I speculate that while we all had to deprogram ourselves, it is easier for those who are naturally more skeptical and resistant to authority, especially the misuse of authority. Also, incessant chanting and activities for cousin rufus have the functional effect of isolating members from family and friends. You can hardly hold a job with all these demands on your time!

It boggles my mind that current members have no problem with the billions of dollars that SGI has accumulated while they sign up to clean toilets and answer phones for free. On the cult scale, SGI may not be the most extreme out there, but does that matter? It is still definitely a cult and IS one of the most extreme in terms of accumulated assets. I sincerely hope that anyone reading here who is still active in this poor excuse for a religious organization opens their eyes, if but a little bit. Maybe Tina Turner will see the light!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.