Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: July 30, 2012 12:53AM

Rothaus
@ Hitch
Its funny that you should mention the education issue. While skipping through the talk pages in Wikipedia I noticed that some in SGI are quite willing to condemn academics critical of SGI as being mislead by tabloids while those speaking in favour are best next to sliced bread. Looking at the edits and propaganda going with it … some in SGI have not the faintest idea on propper academic approach on issues, which is a sad state of affairs when talking of an organisation devoted to education. I had my own conflicts with a family member still in SGI and in the end the fact that I am an academic was used against me as I was apparently unable to see the “truth”.
What SGI is practising has nothing to do with Buddhism … they hijacked an established religious practice to secure the existence of an organisation based on exploit and thereby securing the position of a whole group of individuals who gain financially. And I am sorry to say that … I look at the lives of people I have known for years and through the grape vine one knows what is happening in their lives … many of them are utter failures. I mean failure not only in a financial way, we all know how hard it can be to make ends meet at times, but on a personal and family level. Their families are much more than average simply dysfunctional – full stop.
So the bottom line is that this organistation fails to even get close to the goals it has set out for itself. Peace, Culture and Education. I talked about the Education issue already. Lets look at Culture --- its simply mediocre what SGI produces let alone its so called museums. Peace????????? Oh right the annual peace proposal. Never ever has SGI taken up human rights issues in China, Russia or the Ukraine let alone the Middle East. Never EVER have I seen proof that SG took sides with Gandhi or Martin Luther King admits there struggles while it was going on. In my books SGI is simply perverted. If I made any mistakes here ... please keep in mind that I am in Europe and at times my English ... lacks.

I've stated before and will do so here: All the activities and encouragement, especially now, to "not question, just chant, chant, chant and do activities to praise the mentor", is not conducive to taking time to look into oneself and address the muck that's causing the continual dysfunction. It takes real courage to do that. Real courage, Sensei, you know? I've seen and experienced where activities and extensive chanting create "high life-conditions" and a euphoria where no matter what poop is happening within lives, it can be ignored or put aside for the future.

SGI never takes sides because they feel their philosophy is the one Superior Philosophy. Any supportive actions of what Rothaus mentioned here, would probably be considered a form of slander.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: July 30, 2012 04:38AM

The gakkai cult org. is very good at talking the talk (so-called "interfaith" dialogues, etc.) for outside public consumption only, but never really actually will go so far as to walk the walk, in reality.

E.g.: On one side of the coin -

[www.soka.edu]

"Developing Critical Thinking

At the beginning of the class, I explain that I will be their ‘enemy.’ No matter what position they take, I will take the opposite side. If they switch, I will switch too. I am trying to get them to think critically and defend their beliefs. That attitude does not allow them to lean on me for what to believe but does allow them to learn how to establish their own positions using evidence and reasoning.

And on the other side of that very same coin -

"Substitute 'faith' for wisdom." / "You think too much." / "Don't use your head, instead, 'chant', find "Sensei" in your heart." / "Don't question your leaders or doubt their guidance." / And on, & on, & on . . . . . . .

I have NEVER met one gakkai cult member or leader (top, salaried leader, even in Japan) who could really, humbly approach issues and think critically, my entire time/life growing up on the inside of the cult. Not one person, not a single, solitary individual - none. IMO, most don't even know what it IS.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: July 30, 2012 05:57AM

@ Shavoy
I actually think its much worse. Anyone in SGI daring to develop independent thoughts based on his or her “Buddhist” practice, thoughts on peace or REAL intereligious dialogue that would be noticeable to the outside world is taking the spot-light away form you all know who. I know for a fact that individuals in the US who seeked friendly contacts to other Nichiren Buddhists including Nichiren Shoshu and Nichiren Shu were shunned. And anyone of us who were in SGI (no matter what they say publicly) know how other Buddhist faiths let alone other Nichiren lineages are being talked about. Whatever they write in their preamble is not worth the paper it is written on. I only lately learned that for instance the novices of Nichiren Shoshu got part of their training at Rissho University until the late 70's. I was at first astonished to find that out as Rissho University, besides being a main stream Japanese University, developed from an Nichiren Shu tradition, is vital in the training of Nichiren Shu ministers and also offers Buddhist studies. On the other hand it shows that they had the ability to partly train ministers of Nichiren Shohsu who afterwards quite happily argue against Nichiren Shu but on the other hand it showed me that there are Nichiren Buddhists (also within Nichiren Shoshu) who can distinguish between ideological, religious, philosophical, academic and sectarian debates. Actually quite similar to Catholics and Protestants while knowing exactly were they stand to find common grounds.
SGI tries its best to get an open minded image even getting supposedly neutral academics to speak up for them. Sorry SGI, you paid them to do so, Montreaux and Burton Watson to start the list … in some countries the so called sociological papers were written by SGIists.
And yes Gandhi did chant at times it seems … but apparently due to a meeting with Nichidatsu Fujii the founder of Nipponzan-Myohoji. At a time probably the Soka Gakkai were fighting Japanese imperialism *irony out*.
@ Hitch
I do have met such individuals in SGI and they are still out there but if they decide to voice such views openly they are either shunned or take the back door out OR keep their thoughts to themselves only shared with those whom they can trust.

Just came to my mind somehow SGI is a bit like Tupperware-Buddhism is it not?? The way the meetings go ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 06:05AM by Rothaus.

Date: July 30, 2012 06:59AM

You cannot be a critical thinker and remain in the cult org.. Hence, many of us here who were once in, but are now out. Perhaps others will eventually find their way, too.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: August 05, 2012 04:19AM

Anyone get the e-mail from "Danny Nagashima" on the new direction of SGI which came out on August 4? I hear it has something to do with leadership structure. Need confirmation. One thing I'm certain, Hitch will not be the new General Director nor will he be the head of public relations.

Nichi

Date: August 06, 2012 05:42AM

I never really could understand all the hoopla about so-called "leaders" inside the cult org.. I started to question (and later even challenge) the "label" itself, early on. So-called "leaders" were just fellow members who were "appointed" based solely on the instinctive subjective opinions (or outright nepotism) of other screwed up member-"leaders", who often made the decision based on how much they liked the person (at the time), their perceived loyalty, how easily they could be manipulated, used or ordered around. They were often proved wrong, with time, in their decisions, too. (So much for gaining "wisdom" through one's own practice, huh.)

The higher up you go, they are all just a bunch of rogues manipulating people who are foolishly ignorant enough to mistakenly place them on a pedestal in the first place. I'd even go so far as to say that some of the salaried ones that I know pretty well, for lack of a better description, have a screw or two loose inside their head.

I also remember that it wasn't a pleasant sight witnessing those eager to climb up the cult org. ladder, ingratiate themselves to their "elders" in "faith" and be led around on a short leash like a lap dog at the heels of it's owner. As a matter of fact, I'd say that is exactly how one gets treated if you want to be a "leader" - like "property." How ironic that being a "leader" is ultimately a matter of how easily you yourself can be unquestionably led around, surrender your critical faculties, and manipulate (without conscience) those below you. You are enslaved for the purpose of enslaving others to the cult. And just like a slave, you exist only at the whim of and to please your "master."

Sounds harsh, but it is true.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 06, 2012 06:10AM

I remember a phone call … must have been around 2005 with a so called leader, although here where I live we used the term “responsible” i.e. a person with responsibility. I do not even recall what the conversation was on about exactly anymore … at any rate he we argued about an issue, guess was about the HQ bulletin (which was popular even beyond the HQ as we did what we basically wanted to do and not asked for permission) … in that discussion he said one vital sentence as we could not agree on whatever it was … he said: ”I am telling you this based on my wisdom” … well he always was a bit of a, self declared intellectual, pompous twat … I think it was then when I swiftly went for the back door out of the cult … more or less exactly after 20 years after having joined as a teenager.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: August 06, 2012 08:40AM

Great points Hitch. Rothaus, sounds like the refuge of a man who can not defend his argument, "I'm right based on my wisdom."

Nichijew

Posted by: INFOWARS ()
Date: August 07, 2012 08:44AM

Nichijew
Anyone get the e-mail from "Danny Nagashima" on the new direction of SGI which came out on August 4? I hear it has something to do with leadership structure. Need confirmation. One thing I'm certain, Hitch will not be the new General Director nor will he be the head of public relations.

Nichi
yep, the Area level is going away and will be combined with the chapter to be General Chapter. its a great move -- the district will now have the support they need. Regions leaders might become district leaders as well not all but some. Some have never been district leaders

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: August 07, 2012 11:40AM

[calipatriot.wordpress.com]

Check this out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.