Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: June 08, 2012 02:48AM

i never knew I was going to a Buddhist meeting but rather a party [actually it was both], got to the party and was placed in the middle of a couple dozen people kneeling on the floor, I heard a bell, people started chanting, and a Nam Myoho renge kyo flier was placed in front of me and I was told to say those words. I was somewhat weirded out but unfortunately, it was a good party [lots of love bombing, alcohol, and good weed] and i was hooked.

Nichijew

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 08, 2012 02:49AM

i never knew I was going to a Buddhist meeting but rather a party [actually it was both], got to the party and was placed in the middle of a couple dozen people kneeling on the floor, I heard a bell, people started chanting, and a Nam Myoho renge kyo flier was placed in front of me and I was told to say those words. I was somewhat weirded out but unfortunately, it was a good party [lots of love bombing, good music, alcohol, and good weed] and i was hooked.

Nichijew

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 08, 2012 03:47AM

SGI is based on lies. If we all made a list of the lies that we have been told by SGI -- it would be long! Some of the biggest and most common:

--Ikeda is a great man.
--Your leaders are wise, and can give you good guidance for resolving any problem.
--SGI cares about your happiness.
--If you chant enough, you can get anything you want. (Except when you can't.)
--You must accept Ikeda as your mentor to reach enlightenment.
--Your life will go to hell in a handbasket if you leave, or criticize SGI.
--SGI can bring about world peace.
--SGI actually cares about world peace.
--If you give your last dollar to SGI, you will have great financial fortune.
--If your life isn't going well, it's because you are not chanting enough, and doing enough for SGI.

And the biggest: SGI is a Buddhist organization.

No way! Where is the Buddhism? SGI is a business that sells illusions, with a thin veneer of Buddhism to make it more marketable. I did not realize this while I was in, or even right after I left -- but I always did wonder about two things.

1. One leader that I knew at the beginning of my practice was very devoted to study. He made us read lots of Gosho, and also taught us about the life of Nichiren Daishonin, the differences between various schools of Buddhism, Shakyamuni Buddha, Tien Tai, and more. I assumed that everyone in SGI studied this much. Then I moved -- and found out that they didn't. I was stunned to find long-term members and even leaders who knew NONE of this. I wondered why so many SGI members were so uneducated, and uninformed about Buddhism. Why didn't they want to learn more, and why didn't SGI educate its members better? Then I started realizing that many leaders didn't even think that you should study much. They kept saying "Substitute faith for wisdom." Members who actually thought about and questioned things, made them nervous. And why did so few leaders have anything intelligent to say? Ask them a question, and all they could do is spout the usual cliches.

As Hitch put it:

Hitch

Can't have the members outthinking the "leaders." I was pretty young at the time, but one of the times I confronted Goon Gelbaum with critical thinking, he looked just like a deer caught in some headlights and after a pause, pathetically tried to redirect the conversation. Up until that point, I had never fully realized just how stupid he really was. Was also able to immediately see through the con job. Twas not a pretty sight (literally and metaphorically).

2. I also wondered why SGI did not seem to care that it was losing members as quickly as it got them. Why didn't they change their top-down policies and demands for more, more, more that were driving good members out?

After doing more reading about cults, I finally figured out the answers to my questions.

1. SGI does not care if its members know anything about Buddhism, because the point of SGI is not Buddhism -- it's money and glory for Ikeda.

2. Members who are too interested in really studying and practicing Buddhism correctly wouldn't be focused enough on SGI's true mission -- money and glory for Ikeda. They're not interested in making roller-skating pyramids, nor for chanting for the destruction of another sect. They will have no Soka Spirit, and will have zero interest in Rocking the Era.

3. Members who actually know something about Buddhism would make most SGI leaders look awfully stupid by comparison.

4. SGI does not want to change its ways to keep members who think and question. As Anticult put it, SGI is happier to just let the thinkers and questioners walk, and just recruit more members -- the odds being that a certain percentage of these new shakabukus will toe the line and not question the status quo.

Anticult: " But again, SGI is very diabolically smart. They know its a numbers game, its a meat market. Bring in the numbers, and a certain % of those people will join. That is how SGI makes the millions and billions. Pump and dump, they just churn people through."

Shakabuku -- feed the SGI beast.

Re: SGI members, Shakubuku family and friends over the holidays!
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: June 08, 2012 05:50AM

tsukimoto
And why did so few leaders have anything intelligent to say? Ask them a question, and all they could do is spout the usual cliches.

Meetings, "guidance", everything, it all sounded the same after a while. I grew very weary of the same old tired predictable spiel, just being delivered by a different smiling gakkai cult "leader" face. Eventually, even the so-called "senior" salaried leaders failed to impress. I felt kind of bad, as if something were wrong with me, because I wasn't bowled over by what they were saying. Of course, if you dare utter any of this to anyone, then it would immediately be reframed as your own problem - your lack of seeking spirit, faith, or "ichinen", etc..

IMO, for many of the members that I remember, meetings were just excuses for glorified social events, nothing more. I was often practically bored to tears.

The Anticult
What about being dishonest to get people to go to an SGI meeting?
How does SGI coach their members, to get them to tell others its a "party" or a get-together, or it might be a dating singles get-together, or whatever?
How does SGI coach its members, to get them to convince new people to come to SGI meetings?

How does SGI rationalize the deception and outright lying that comes into this SGI recruitment process?

Shakubuku usually went something like this (warning: you might want to bang your head on the table or wall after viewing the entire clip, which is only ~6 mins. long.) -

[www.youtube.com]

She's lying, either intentional or out of ignorance, but she's lying.

It would usually start generic (like above) and if the prospective guest (which is what they were called) was interested, they'd just keep teasing out that same lure line until the hook caught. If they were hesitant, but receptive, they usually left with either a pamphlet or nmrk card that had somebody's name and phone number on it, with the implication that we were always here and available, your new best friends, if you ever needed us. And people would indeed later call, to the joy of the person who initially gave them the card. This was also invariably later framed as a "mystical" connection between the member and new member, as if it were destined by the stars and one's fortune to meet each other again in this lifetime, find the gohonzon and work together for Cousin Rufus.

If the generic hook didn't take, then they'd probe for some kind of discontent, problem or source of unhappiness in the prospective's life. If it were a student (university level), it might be finances, companionship, grades/studies, dreams or hopes. Want a girlfriend? Gently push the ywd forward to work her charms. Joining was the key to all of your problems. We were the friends that you always dreamed of, imagined and needed in your life. We are SO happy that we just have to share this magic, secret, happiness making machine with you!

If it were a borderline homeless or street person, then your karma and bad causes were the source of your situation. Only, and I repeat ONLY, the gohonzon could get you out of your circumstances. Just come out to a meeting, there MIGHT be some warm food, booze or cigarettes there for you, too, if it was meant to be (translation = if you are receptive and want to join).

Most normal, happy people just tossed the material into the garbage (I've seen it there and have also seen hardcore gakkai cult members later go trash can fishing to retrieve the reusable ones) or simply said, "No, thanks." They excelled at finding people who were vulnerable (had problems or were lonely) or very idealistic and naive. Say just about anything to get them into a meeting and then others (at the meeting) would take over by turning up the same pressure tactics. Once at the meeting, the guests fell into two camps: those that were still receptive (due to their new rock star status), or those who would sit there with a look on their face, like "WTF?!?" or "Holy Sh**, what have I gotten myself into?" (it was usually the chanting and gakkai songs that triggered such reactions).

Also, once at a meeting, it took a lot of self fortitude to be able to resist. Regardless, you never left without giving them your contact information (name, address, phone number, etc.) and you betcha there would eventually be more pressured follow-up, by phone and in person. Once their claws were into you, you weren't getting away unless you dropped the politeness and gave them a repeated, firm "NO."

This final point, is mere conjecture on my part, because I never joined in the more hardcore shakubuku'ing groups. It seemed to me that they only really wanted hardcore (deeply loyal, trusted and devoted brainwashed) members to be in these "select" groups. When they really needed the guest numbers (due to higher up pressure/obligations/promises), it was these "expert" shakubuku groups that went out on their own and always came back with at least one person to save the day. IMO, I was expressly not welcome into these groups, even rudely discouraged, because I didn't fit the hardcore brainwashed, unthinking robot category. I imagine all of the manipulation that I described above, just got a whole lot darker and intense with these groups. Like I said, they always came back with a guest. The members in these groups were always master manipulators within the cult.

Date: June 09, 2012 05:52AM

The following is a clip from a cult meeting. I've chosen it to illustrate a few points:

1. First, notice the whiteboard with the "Shakubuku Goals, May Contributions, and Guests Becoming Members" notes. The three all important, ever present, cult mantras.

2. If you give the song a listen, it's a nice song and I'm not criticizing it, but I think it perfectly sums up *why* this cult appeals to some individuals. Ironically, the cult organization is exactly the opposite of the sentiments conveyed in the song.

3. On a personal note, I always disliked the amateur talent night aspect of many "meetings." Having to sit through magic shows, dancing, often horrible singing, you name it. The only thing worse than that would be having to actually participate in such events (which sometimes you were pressured to do, or pressured to come up with something). I know some people enjoyed it, but I pretty much never did.

Like I said, I'm not criticizing the lady in this clip or the song, just sharing it to make some points (in fact, it makes me feel sympathy for naive people who are ultimately manipulated by this pseudo-buddhist cult).

[www.youtube.com]

PS, Couldn't resist adding this Cousin Rufus Workout [www.youtube.com]. This is actually the kind of really stupid crap that most often took place, especially at youth meetings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 06:00AM by Hitch.

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: June 09, 2012 11:50AM

@SGBye who wrote, "In my opinion, chanting is just a bunch of superstitious, hocus-pocus nonsense. I've got no problem with someone chanting if they want to use it as some sort of meditation activity to help calm their mind or whatever. But chanting for money, a car, a house, etc.? It's absolutely amazing what grown adults can be tricked into thinking." When I first joined back in the 80s I used to chant for stuff and goals. Of course when I attained some of the things, I attributed it to chanting and SGI activities. I have been out of the organization 3 years now and I still chant but not towards goals. My practice has become a form of meditation. Do I believe it changes my karma or my life or the world? No, I don't. It feels really good and it does calm and focus my mind. The actions I take determine the quality of my life. However, I limit myself to about 20-30 minutes on weekdays and an hour on weekends. For whatever reason it has been an integral part of my life for nearly 25 years and frankly, I just like it! But I am glad that the publications and the Ikeda rallies are behind me. Sometimes it feels like the SGI member I was--was another person. My life has been great since I left. Those expecting me to suffer may have to keep on waiting. I do think it's strange that I have no friends or connections to an organization I belonged to for over 20 years. I know that by the time I left, I had done my best to determine if the organization represented something I could believe in. I didn't leave impulsively. Perhaps that's why I have felt no guilt or uneasiness about it, mainly because of this forum. I really hope that anyone who has doubts about the organization read the whole thread here and then do the right thing. When you decide to leave, you really can and life will be good.

Date: June 09, 2012 02:20PM

Ikeda Cult videos from Singapore Soka Association. I never saw the bottom three. Enjoy!

[www.hosshakukempon.com]

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: June 09, 2012 03:47PM

doubtful
@SGBye who wrote, "In my opinion, chanting is just a bunch of superstitious, hocus-pocus nonsense. I've got no problem with someone chanting if they want to use it as some sort of meditation activity to help calm their mind or whatever. But chanting for money, a car, a house, etc.? It's absolutely amazing what grown adults can be tricked into thinking." When I first joined back in the 80s I used to chant for stuff and goals. Of course when I attained some of the things, I attributed it to chanting and SGI activities. I have been out of the organization 3 years now and I still chant but not towards goals. My practice has become a form of meditation. Do I believe it changes my karma or my life or the world? No, I don't. It feels really good and it does calm and focus my mind. The actions I take determine the quality of my life. However, I limit myself to about 20-30 minutes on weekdays and an hour on weekends. For whatever reason it has been an integral part of my life for nearly 25 years and frankly, I just like it! But I am glad that the publications and the Ikeda rallies are behind me. Sometimes it feels like the SGI member I was--was another person. My life has been great since I left. Those expecting me to suffer may have to keep on waiting. I do think it's strange that I have no friends or connections to an organization I belonged to for over 20 years. I know that by the time I left, I had done my best to determine if the organization represented something I could believe in. I didn't leave impulsively. Perhaps that's why I have felt no guilt or uneasiness about it, mainly because of this forum. I really hope that anyone who has doubts about the organization read the whole thread here and then do the right thing. When you decide to leave, you really can and life will be good.

After I left the SGI I continued to do Gongyo and chant as a form of meditation for a brief time. However, I couldn’t disassociate the chanting from the organization and all the negative connotations that went with that. So I stopped doing it and that eventually led to me returning my Gohonzon (which I’ll write about in another post). Plus, quite honestly, I can’t really say that chanting ever did much of anything for me. Some people claim they “felt something” upon hearing NMRK for the first time. Having grown up in the practice, chanting was never anything special or exotic to me. It was just something I did without giving it any thought, like breathing. That’s really the only explanation I have for being able to give it up so effortlessly, even after doing it for 30+ years. But everyone’s different, and I found that listening to music had a much more calming and relaxing effect on me than chanting ever did. An added bonus is that it doesn’t conjure up visions of rollerskating human pyramids! (not usually anyway)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 04:09PM by SGBye.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: June 09, 2012 03:55PM

Hitch
PS, Couldn't resist adding this Cousin Rufus Workout [www.youtube.com]. This is actually the kind of really stupid crap that most often took place, especially at youth meetings.

I love the look on the face of that young guy at 0:29. It screams “What the hell are these people doing?” That look was plastered on my face quite often at many meetings.

Date: June 10, 2012 05:22AM

Nichijew
Ikeda Cult videos from Singapore Soka Association. I never saw the bottom three. Enjoy!

[www.hosshakukempon.com]

Third from the bottom clip sounds like Patrick Duffy's narration of the not so subtle "goodbye" at the very end. Love the brainwashed constipation look throughout, too.

Sickening stuff. As I've mentioned before, it all screams "CULT!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.