Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Date: May 31, 2012 11:23AM

Findingmywaytoday, you sound like you are just too nice of a person. IMO, it's your house, you set the rules, you dictate what is acceptable to you and, most of all, you determine how a "guest" in your house treats you[/quot

I am wondering if you think it is okay to call my district up, and tell them that I am not going to get the subscriptions, and I am not contributing to the May Contribution, etc? I would also like to tell them that I am chanting on my own, and in my own way. Because I may not have as much experience as you do, and you might know more the trends of SGI leaders, would you think it is good for me to call them, or should I just not contact them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: May 31, 2012 01:03PM

Yes, ole SGI was more into the old post-Stalinist style brainwashing in the 70's...
Matching uniforms...for uniform minds

Where's the flags, marching bands and huge pictures of Ikeda?

But even back then, SGI-USA was using modern marketing techniques, with the multi-ethnic staged photos...with of course the Japanese folks removed from the photo, except for in the background.
SGI-USA is no different today, same kind of marketing technques.

Ikeda probably does think American's are greedy and stupid...."hey just tell the americans they can be rich and happy with no effort...they'll believe anything."

Spartacus
Holy BuddhaHead! I just followed your link at freefallarchive.com and found myself in a Tozan picture from 1972.

Here's a link to the picture I am in - [www.freefallarchive.com] . I am the third male face in the line descending the steps at Shohondo (dark brown curly hair parted on the side.)

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: May 31, 2012 01:50PM

Spartacus
Holy BuddhaHead! I just followed your link at freefallarchive.com and found myself in a Tozan picture from 1972.

Here's a link to the picture I am in - [www.freefallarchive.com] . I am the third male face in the line descending the steps at Shohondo (dark brown curly hair parted on the side.)

Geez, what a happy young sheeple I was 40 years ago! Chapter Three of my blog Cult of the Master covers my experiences during that 1972 tozan event, and can be found at: [spartacusrebel.weebly.com]

HAHA! Enjoy! :-))

Spartacus, the term sansho goma was reserved and trotted out for any members under suspicion of fornicating. It was pretty much an understood "no-no" to get too cozy with the YWD, unless you had some kind of "leader" approval to pursue a "relationship." That said, there was definitely interest and a lot of flirting going on whenever the chance arose. It was especially a big taboo for the YD leaders, whom other members looked up to. Heads would roll if any of these people violated that commandment. Looking back, I think quite a few of those youth "leaders" were sexually frustrated and repressed. I know Ethan Gelbaum was! (HAHA!)

Date: May 31, 2012 02:20PM

Findingmywaytoday

Findingmywaytoday, you sound like you are just too nice of a person. IMO, it's your house, you set the rules, you dictate what is acceptable to you and, most of all, you determine how a "guest" in your house treats you . . . .

I am wondering if you think it is okay to call my district up, and tell them that I am not going to get the subscriptions, and I am not contributing to the May Contribution, etc? I would also like to tell them that I am chanting on my own, and in my own way. Because I may not have as much experience as you do, and you might know more the trends of SGI leaders, would you think it is good for me to call them, or should I just not contact them?

Hi Findingmywaytoday. IMO, if you can't stand up to these people, it might be best to just let them blow away in the wind. Sever ties and ignore. They are owed no explanations for anything and, whether you give them one or not, it ultimately makes no difference to them. Just do whatever it is you want to do; you certainly don't need their permission for anything (this kind of mindset is also an sgi cult influence).

Date: May 31, 2012 05:19PM

The Anticult
Yes, ole SGI was more into the old post-Stalinist style brainwashing in the 70's...
Matching uniforms...for uniform minds

Back in the 80's there were two types of uniforms. The all purpose whites (all we needed was a bow-tie and hat to complete the milkman look) and the more special occasion Saturday Night Fever all white polyester suit with mandatory "official" red NSA logo tie. Oh, and "National Security Agency" clip-on photo ID badges, too!!

I also remember there was a special campaign in Texas where everyone had to wear good ol' boy g-e-n-u-i-n-e cowboy hats!

70's Hawaii conventions had blue and white muumuu dresses for women and same pattern shirts for men with a fake decorative belt.

Just about every major campaign had some sort of special cult outfit that everyone was expected to wear.

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: June 01, 2012 12:57AM

Spartacus/Hitch, I don't know what the YMD were taught in Chicago, because I was a YWD. But I can tell you that YMD and YWD were having sex. Maybe the guys confessed to their "leaders" afterward, but it didn't stop them from doing what came naturally. There was little moral compass in Chicago, folks did not join NSA to be subject to the same old rules that were at church. Being the early seventies, the larger culture had loosened considerably when it came to sex, and NSA folks in Chicago had no hangups in that regard. There were few hangups overall, drug use was rampant (also a reflection of the larger culture), and there was a general "if it feels good, do it" atmosphere. The only guideline was good cause/bad cause and how your acts may impact your karma. But as we have discussed, you could just chant the impact of your bad acts away! So, you had leaders than were known to beat and cheat on their wives, and other forms of bad behavior that you need no religion to identify as such. Hypocrisy, the same as what NSA accused Christians of.

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: June 01, 2012 12:59AM

Hitch, remember the nautical theme for the Seattle convention? The uniform thing was really awful, especially if you were a non-standard size.

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: June 01, 2012 02:29AM

Hi everyone-
here's one for you - when I was a pre teen and teen all I cared about was flirting with the guys at meetings. Once Mrs. Inowashi (sp?) chided me for not paying attention to Ikeda at a convention because I was so caught up with flirting. Flirting made the meetings bearable. Later on in my life, after having relations with YMD I often felt uneasy afterwards. They were holly rollers and I was not. Or, by contrast they hated SGI and their parents' affiliation with SGI and let me hear their opinions night and day. Either way, they weren't the men for me.

Date: June 01, 2012 05:05AM

Freeheartandmind, your post just reminded me that there were a couple of cases that I know about firsthand regarding affairs between WD and MD members. It really tore some family's up and caused a lot of pain for their children. Very sad situations. The hypocrisy was sometimes staggering.

I do remember those Seattle outfits, too! I was pretty young, but I do remember the adults wearing them.

evergreen
Hi everyone-
here's one for you - when I was a pre teen and teen all I cared about was flirting with the guys at meetings. Once Mrs. Inowashi (sp?) chided me for not paying attention to Ikeda at a convention because I was so caught up with flirting. Flirting made the meetings bearable. Later on in my life, after having relations with YMD I often felt uneasy afterwards. They were holly rollers and I was not. Or, by contrast they hated SGI and their parents' affiliation with SGI and let me hear their opinions night and day. Either way, they weren't the men for me.

Looking back, I can tell you, without a doubt, that I definitely dodged a bullet by not getting in too deeply with any of those YWD "holly rollers." I shudder to think how enslaved I would be, had I done so. Even worse, the thought of my future descendants being shackled in servitude to the cult is a terrifying and sobering one. Having literally walked in a 'fortune baby's' shoes, I really feel profoundly sorry for any kids that have to go thru any of that crap and psychological torture.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 01, 2012 05:08AM

Findingmywaytoday
I made a mistake today that I regret. Some women from the SGI called me and told me not to be a stranger. I reconnected, and I thought I am strong enough to deal with them. I even let someone come and home visit me today. It was her first time to my house. I could sense she became very judgemental about my Gohonzon, and where I put things. I actually had printed out a quote in the recent months that was more meaningful to me. I put it away, and took out some of the SGI stuff. That was mistake number one, because it is not matching what is true for me right now.

Then, she told me it was May Contribution month, and she asked me what my intentions were. Blah, blah, blah! I feel sick now knowing I had a person from the SGI come over, but I also wanted to see where I stood, or if I really was attached to the SGI.

She told me that I need to order publications, and then I will get all my questions answered about my life.

In the interim, I have found new ways to support my life without the need of the SGI. It feels so good to make friends with non-SGI members. I don't know why I am surprised that sounded so brainwashed when she answered my questions.

I am still stunned that I let her into my house. I feel sick when I think of the SGI.

As I see it, being in SGI is a habit...and habits can be difficult to break. People vow to give up smoking, and overeating....and maybe do very well for weeks or months -- eat sensibly, don't touch a cigarette. Then something happens, good or bad, and they find themselves lighting up, or eating a box of doughnuts. It doesn't mean that they've failed, and that it's time to give up. They just need to go back and follow their plan. Change is just difficult, one step forward, two steps back....but I've seen people change all kinds of habits. Those who have done it, just persist. They fall off the bike and get right back up on it. Don't look at your contact with SGI as a mistake, look at it as a learning experience. You've talked with your former leader, and now you know for sure that there's nothing there for you.

Manipulative people are also very good at taking advantage of other people's courtesy..and some SGI leaders are very manipulative people. Bullies, con artists, manipulators are masters of doing something rude or intrusive, and counting on the fact that many people hate confrontation. If someone does confront the manipulator for rude, overly aggressive, or intrusive behavior, the manipulator is very good at turning it back on them -- making the other person feel as if he or she is rude, too aggressive, oversensitive, or paranoid for even questioning the manipulator's inappropriate behavior.

Dealing with SGI members? My suggestion is that if they text you, e-mail you, or leave a message on your answering machine -- hit the delete button. If they do catch you on the phone, or you run into one of them when you're out shopping....be polite, say hello, ask them how they are -- but DO NOT discuss your involvement with SGI with them. Just say, "Not interested," if they ask you to come to a meeting, donate zaimu, or if they can home visit you. If they push, and ask why -- I say, "Just not interested. Gotta go. Bye." Any discussion with these people is useless. They're not listening, just looking for opportunities to manipulate you back into SGI.

Interesting, in eighteen years, I never heard of "sansho goma." Maybe it was because of practicing in such a remote area. Our chapter leaders were a couple who were living together without being married, as were other members. We had a small number of YWD, and even fewer YMD, so your chances of finding a someone you wanted to date in the Youth Divisions were small anyway. We all dated nonmembers. You'd have no love life otherwise. I can't remember our leaders ever talking about this.

I did have two Japanese YWD friends who returned to Japan. One was given guidance to marry another SGI member, who turned out to be a very jealous, possessive sort....and I fear, possibly abusive. I don't hear much from her. My other friend did live with her boyfriend. Her leader told them to tell their neighbors that they were married. Appearances are everything, and I don't think that the Japanese generally take domestic violence seriously. If police are ever even called, they probably just tell the wife to stop annoying her husband.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 05:22AM by tsukimoto.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.