Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: April 07, 2012 06:40AM

Yzak
One time, when I was organizing a SGI club in my college, I meet this Japanese girl who is a "Fortune Baby" (being born and raised in this Buddhism) to talk about how to organize the club. I suggested for the final meeting we were going to have, that we should discuss about how this Buddhism thinks about problems in society in general. Example: Poverty, Violence, Race, Sexuality, Abortion, Discrimination, Abuse, Justice, etc, and how SGI Buddhism think they will address these issues for the betterment of the world. She went like, NO WAY, THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT! WE ARE HERE TO SHOW THIS BUDDHISM, TO DO SHAKUBUKU AND TO SUPPORT SGI, WHO CARES ABOUT THOSE THINGS, OR DETAILS!!!
That really shocked me, because how do they plan to make world peace without a solid philosophical argument that could say how to make the world better. But it seemed to me that they don't care or don't even bother to think about it, like contributing to SGI itself is enough for world peace.

So-called fortune babies fall into three camps, as they go thru the sequence of growing up:

1) The hopelessly ignorant and brainwashed.
2) The "just going along with it, so as to not create any waves" kind.
3) The ones that have had enough and get out.

Some only go thru two steps, like 2 --> 3 or 2 --> 1, etc.. Some are perpetually stuck in one category (either 1 or 2). I had the (mis)fortune of going thru all 3, in sequence.

The one described above, by Yzak, falls into category 1. Here's another in the same camp (I've posted about her before here, just because she appears to be the only one dumb enough to go on YouTube about it) [www.youtube.com]. (Hang onto your lunch, if you can, as she humbly describes being a "fortune baby" and her huge benefit of overcoming eustachian tube dysfunction and getting her first job out of college. Quintessential confirmation bias experiences.)

Those kids in the sgi-usa-media clip are destined for the same. Having walked in their shoes, I really feel for them. I agree, this kind of stuff should be outlawed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 06:47AM by Hitch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KR ()
Date: April 07, 2012 07:19AM

Nichijew
Check out this video and tell me what you think. SGI's version of Jesus Camp only more hip. That Japanese-American youth cult leader should be imprisoned. It made me want to puke:

[www.youtube.com]

#1. The SGI says they are all about world peace and initiating dialogues but when you come across the majority of the YouTube links of SGI videos the comment section is usually disabled. I know, I know. That in itself is very telling. There faith is so strong that they can't be bother with weak minded dissenters...

#2. Why hasn't the SGI been sued for there blatant copyright infringement? The piece of music used was from an old hip-hop group A Tribe Called Quest. ASCAP will go after pre-teens for illegal downloading but neither the music publishing cabal, the record label nor the artist will go after SGI for their blatant use of popular music to be used as a tool for propaganda. Mainly demonstrated by "Bring Sensei Back" which rips off Justin Timberlake's "Bring Sexy Back" as demonstrated by the following YouTube vid. Why hasn't the SGI been summoned with a cease and desist order. C'mon!

With that said, SGI constantly boast of there celebrity members so why the hell can't they just simply rip off Herbie Hancock, Courtney Love or Tina Turner or use them to spread the SGI message. They shouldn't mind in the least bit and yet, no one questions there faith...

Your thoughts.

Date: April 07, 2012 08:08AM

SGBye
When I was a child, my mother would make contributions in my name so that I would “receive good fortune.” Ugh. Later, when I had jobs like a paper route, I’d be encouraged to give my own money. I never gave much, but even $10 is precious when you’re a teen!

Nowadays, leaders at meetings make it a point to say “Contribute from the heart, without expecting anything in return.” Then next up on the schedule is an experience from someone who suddenly stumbles upon a large pile of money after making a contribution.

It's about that time again. I recall the very last video I saw where SGI members we're "encouraged" to give money...

Wonder if it will feature a so-called member who was living in dire poverty who walked 20-miles to SGI meetings and through the fruits of worshipping the Ikeda god-head that they had mysteriously acquired realtors license and a lear-jet? The WT will be plastered with all of this contrived experiences.

SGI experiences are the equivalent to "Festivus miracles." It's just praise for something very ordinary and everyday occurrences like finding lost car keys. "Through rigorous chanting I have managed to get my BA and finish college." Well gees, if you have already set your mind into getting a degree, you'll get it right?

Initially you are amazed on how members turn such a trivial problems into epic struggles. Then feel sorry for them because they (well some) openly admit that SGI is all they have. They would boast of something like landing some menial job that they will eventually grow tired of. Then soon find themselves in the same place before they relayed their epic experience before their SGI camaraderie. I've always found that SGI "experiences" to be the true antithesis to Buddhism. It's far worse than Ikeda worshipping itself. The merits of SGI can't stand alone so they have to add some member testimonial drivel to coax people into believing.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: April 07, 2012 08:13AM

Hitch, your “hopelessly ignorant and brainwashed” comment reminded me of something. One time, a visiting YMD member from California came to my house for a meeting. This guy had just returned from a trip to FNCC (which was obvious because he was proudly carrying around an “FNCC Mentor-Disciple Conference” folder with him) and - this is no exaggeration - he mentioned that Ikeda was his mentor every single time he spoke during the meeting. No matter what point he was making, or what the discussion was about, he somehow worked a variation of “I think we are so fortunate to have a mentor like Sensei” into his comments. There must be some effective programming techniques being used out there.

Date: April 07, 2012 09:25AM

SGBye, the cult retreats (tozan of past and FNCC of present) can really do a number on you and roto-rooter your brain (removing all your critical faculties). They still send their most promising prospective leaders and new salaried ones to The Father Land to encounter The Dear Leader in person at one of his monthly satellite meetings in Tokyo. These kinds of training meetings/trips are similar, just tailored and adjusted in intensity to suit the appropriate "faith level" of those partaking in it. If you're a newbie, you'll get the softer sell triple-A battery rootering. On those Japan trips, they break out the plutonium powered craniotomy tools to use on you. And btw, those California ymd are some of the heaviest kool-aid drinkers around, although it looks like New York is starting to give them a run for their money nowadays.

Date: April 07, 2012 11:08AM

SGI is an organization most deserving of ridicule and (sorry if I have always appeared to be dismissive, but that's how I treat most things I deem as bullshit) scorn. I thought maybe I should serve a little bad entertainment by adding my own commentary to a recent comment by Nichijew. I can't help myself. It's almost as if a man had discovered gold I will also add my commentary I only hope this reaches the SGI members who happens to parade here keeping tabs on our comments:

Nichijew
Tariq Hassan: We just got back from Japan receiving guidance and meeting Sensei. Though it was a hard time with the loss of the LDP and Komeito, Sensei was in high spirits. He gave us tremendous guidance, “When you lose you actually win!”.

Most manolevent guidance for those on the roster for the following: the New England Patriots, John McCain or all of the runner ups to the Miss America pageant. Now let's all get some ice cream...

So very important, the unity of mentor and disciple as we walk along side our mentor. Sensei said to his Japanese leaders, “please learn from America the spirit of oneness of mentor and disciple”. We met Hiromasa Ikeda and Vice President Hasagawa who said: “facing times of change, how much greater the mission of America. With ever deeper faith in the oneness of mentor and disciple we will protect sensei.”

Are they shakabuku'ing members of congress?

Again, as disciples of President Ikeda let us joyfully advance. We make the mentor proud when we unite wholeheartedly with him. With the Mentor we will always win.

"If your saved and you know it, clap your hands..." Oops, wrong religion (I always get this mentor and Jesus thing confused)

Sensei’s guidance was on the importance of statistics and statistics department. I am the head of the statistics department though I didn’t volunteer for this job (joke). There will be monthly statistics meetings for the districts. New form to remove someone from the SGI statistics roll. I will be happy to assist the SGI in doing statistics. In Japan, it takes six months before someone is removed from statistical rolls, signature of district and chapter chief required.

Thank you Tariq Hassan for that clarification - Now I think of it Jesus, Shakyamuni, nor Nichiren had no concern for statistics.

Linda Johnson:Chant to live up to the mentor. Learn from President Ikeda. He gets this Buddhism.

And I don't get this Buddhism!...That's right, SGI just mostly make stuff up, henceforth the term "this Buddhism"

He has never lost. To manifest your capacity…vital to study Sensei. Send out only Sensei’s encouragment on the internet not your own.

YOU HEARD THE WOMAN!!!!! Someone has to invent the WHAT WOULD MENTOR DO? internet meme and bumper sticker. It should spread like wildfire throughout Reddit, Icancheezeburger. Plaster it throughout the Buddhasphere. It should be mandatory that Fraught With Peril and the Kempon Hokke blog be plastered with it.

Lets learn from the best. Home visit every member. It is the time to teach them about Sensei and how to win. “Bless her” (Kitty Shapiro who helped her when she was a new member) "hallelujah" [yes, she said hallelujah]. Chant to let me win. (shouldn’t she have said, chant to let me lose which is actually to win?).

So who chants to lose?

Challenge ourselves to care about the members winning. Never leave a home visit without impressing on that person the oneness of mentor of disciple.

"...If your saved and you know it, then your life will surely show it, If your saved and you know it..." Damn! wrong religion (again)

This is the eternal formula we must get and teach. To insure through our care that every single member always tap unlimited potential and win we must practice with the spirit of mentor and disciple. Change our lives, the lives of our family, and this country.

WTF is an eternal formula? Nevermind, don't want to know...Linda Johnson has to be SGI's answer to Joe Biden.

Next, young mens’s division leader Nathan Gauer: Who will uphold Sensei’s legacy? 50th anniversary of his visit to America in July. Culture festivals. Sensei determined to spend the remaining part of his life in America, the country he loves best.

Doesn't Nathan make it sound like he's a bastard baby and Sensei walked out on him with the lame "I'm going out for a pack of smokes" excuse. Hopped on a plane to Japan and keep making empty promises of his return?

Vanissa Shaw national YWD leader, Crest toothpaste girl, actress and Ikeda disciple extroadinaire: ARE YOU READY TO ROCK THE ERA. ROCK THE ERA MEETINGS AND FESTIVALS IN JULY. AMERICA CAPITAL OF MENTOR AND DISCIPLE. “Entire focus, the mentor”. (duh). As Sensei has said always sing a gakkai song during our Rock The Era meetings. Sensei we will create the capital of mentor disciple.

Diasaku FUCKING Ikeda!!!! what the world needs, more festivals. Oh, please forgive me sensei for I have used your name in vain.

Keith Beeber student division leader: National direction… shakabuku on college campuses. Since July, 15 universities 200 guests and 35 shakabuku. Carry on the spirit of the oneness of mentor and disciple based on the mentors guidance form student groups. Bring joy to Sensei by warmly embracing our leaders.

For as long as I have heard the name SGI, I still haven't quite learned how to "carry the spirit of the oneness of mentor and disciple." Which brings me to my favorite one of all...

Danny "Fucking" Nagashima (stereotypical asian caricature): HELLO EVERYONE ARE YOU HAPPY? THANK YOU THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

...If your saved and you know it clap your hands...Damn, Daisaku Ikeda! I keep getting it wrong.

We did 1984 shakabuku in the month of august, the most in twenty years. We have been waiting for this moment for twenty years. The time has come.

IT'S GODZILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oops.

We have to create AMERICA WITH YOUTH DIVISION. I’M THIRTY YEARS OLD. EVERYONE IS YOUTH DIVISION. AS LONG AS WE SEEK SENSEI WE CAN REMAIN YOUNG.

*sigh* We went through this while Christopher Columbus. YOU CAN'T CREATE SOMETHING THAT ALREADY HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED!!!!

THE KEY TO VICTORY IS STATISTICS. 70 % increase in membership. As a disciple of Daisaku Ikeda,the oneness of mentor and disciple IS THE KEY. We will make exhibits of mentor and disciple. Fifty years since Sensie’s first visit to United States. We are experiencing in America, the great character of Daisaku Ikeda, we are fusing with him.

And with higher statistics comes higher cash revenue. PRAISE SENSEI!!!!

Something genuine is the oneness of mentor and disciple. What is the Genuine meaning of oneness of mentor and disciple? SEEKING SENSEI (Im getting a freaking migraine - *No your not*). Genuine disciple of sensei is never defeated.

MAY THE POWER OF SENSEI COMPEL YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Set yourselves free of the mental shackles. The key to your salvation is through your relationship with MENTOR and DISCIPLE - Whatever the fuck that is...

Ever victorious. Always winning. KANSAI NEVER LOST SINCE 1957. With your bond with sensei you will be ever victorius, EVER VICTORIOS WITH SENSEI, with sensei.

...And we'll be serving Kool-Aid and cookies in lobby.

YOU BODHISATTVAS TO CREATE EVER VICTORIOUS AMERICA. HOW MUCH CAN WE CREATE THIS KANSAI. KANSAI NEVER LOST SINCE 1957.

Well, the Democrats are always open to bribes...

Orlando Cepeda joke and then 7 points of victory for Kansai. Oneness of mentor and disciple, repeating it again several times. SHOUTING AGAIN: READING (20 minutes of) GOSHO AND (2 hours of) SENSEI’S GUIDANCE; UNITY; FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE (unless it's SGI who is administering it) LIGHTENING SPEED IN COMMUNICATIONS AND GUIDANCE; ACTION ACTION ACTION; ALWAYS (CHEAT TO) WIN; Last one I didn’t get(BECOME A LION?) BASED ON ONENESS OF MENTOR AND DISCIPLE.

I would prefer to become a tiger.

Comment: Platitudes upon platitudes.

Yes, yes...

Protect Sensei? The guy’s already got dozens of body guards who will take a bullet for his old self but they want you to protect him all the way from New Jersey. The cult speaks and sometimes SCREAMS!

Nichijew

Somewhere along the line. A website should be created entitled "SGI Leaders Say the Darnest Things

Re: SGI, brainwashing and imprinting of young children with Ikeda-SGI
Date: April 07, 2012 12:38PM

The Anticult
Its simply a very crude template to try to encourage deep SGI fanatics to brainwash their children into SGI at the youngest age.
The fact SGI tries to put-over on the reader that a 4 year can understand these advanced concepts, seem to be playing into the supernatural aspects they are trying to sell with SGI. As in, get your baby to chant, and you can have a SGI Chanting Baby Genius.

The vulgar and crude techniques employed in this composed story, could be targeted at other parts of the world primarily, and not the developed countries?
It would be interesting to see if in other versions of SGI materials for other countries, that they change the location and the person's name.

The stuff about reading "President" Ikeda's guidance to a 4 year old, is literally North Korea all over again. Perhaps the SGI fanatics do believe that brainwashing 4 year olds is the way to move forward. There are many advanced cults that have been around for decades who make the SERIOUS move to target and brainwash young children before they get to school age, and SGI is doing that, with their cartoons and this material.

They then give the suggestions to frame Pres Ikeda's words and put them next to an altar. More North Korea II.

Now this kind of crude and vulgar brainwashing material most likely came from head office, and they just changed the names to read California.
On the other hand, some people do get delusional with the SGI chanting. But SGI published that, so most likely its a concocted, and re-edited persuasion story.

But no question, SGI-USA and SGI global, is targeting children as young as possible to try to brainwash them and imprint their brains with SGI and Ikeda images and concepts.
That is old-school brainwashing of young children, and SGI is doing it systematically.
The fanatic SGI families these kids are going to have to grow up in, creates an entire new generation of followers for SGI.

And they have be deliberately IMPRINTED with SGI-Ikeda from their first mental concepts in life, so Ikeda is ingrained at the very core of the psyche.
That is as bad as it gets. SGI is truly an atrocious system.

They target 4 year olds, and get the SGI parent to get the kids to chant 2x a day while looking at images of Ikeda. This imprints the childs brain on the deepest level.
They keep doing this everyday as this kid grows up.
In a mere 10 years, the kid can then be sent to join various SGI youth groups. 10 years to SGI is nothing, SGI thinks decades ahead.

SGI has taken all of the new techniques of mass persuasion being used, and is applying them. But they have also taken all the "old" techniques as well, used by many extreme "religions" in the same way on children in various parts of the world.

SGI is very very smart. They know they can lock-in a large part of the next generation of SGI families by starting on the kids when they start to make their very first mental concepts like...mommy, daddy, doggie, President Ikeda, Soka...

Apparently children around age 4-5 and later, start to learn up to a hundred or more words/concept a day.Their brains are learning machines.
And SGI wants to imprint their brains with SGI concepts right from the very start.

How will children imprinted on SGI from birth be able to get the SGI programming out of their brains?

100% spot-on, Anti-Cult. I went thru it all.

Ex-members will know the routine:

Fortune baby (born into the practice), jr. pioneers (gakkai-daishonin camp), ymd (young men's div. for more intense "training"), soka-han ("protecting" the members), toban (manning the front desk at community centers), gojokai (protecting the community centers, including overnighters), brass band (music support for all kinds of gakkai activities, meetings, parades, you name it and we did it), MC for meetings (they loved for me to do MC, because nobody else would), zaimu (even $5 as a kid), World Tribune (official propaganda paper) subscriber, culture festivals (special performances for The Dear Leader), rijicho bodyguard (watching over the general director), street shakubuku (trying to convert strangers off the street), support home visitations (I was never the main figure, only support), 24+ hour daimoku tosos (oh the horrible memories!), midnight & New Year Gongyos at the temple (mushimochi gosho every fricking year!), study department (studying the gosho or Ikeda's spin on the gosho and rising up thru the different levels/ranks), etc.. Listening to the same guidance, over and over and over again. Mr. Williams, "DON'T YOU THINK SO!?!? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! FROM THE BOTTOMMYHEART!!! HOWABOUT ZATO!?!?!?" Cue in "Forever Sensei" and golden fan for Mr. Williams to lead.

Holy sh**! Just typing all this out makes me realize all the crap that I actually went thru.

Anyway, to make a long story short, then I learned, on my own, how to think critically and got the hell out. One of the best things I ever did in my life.

A 5 min. summary to get started (for those so inclined) [www.youtube.com]. It takes time, effort, persistence and practice, but everyone should be able to apply critical thinking in their own lives and society. There's no better weapon against ignorance and manipulation. It's the only defense I can offer to those children being mentally abused, if they ever find their way here.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: April 07, 2012 03:04PM

Thank you all for your spot on analysis and experiences with the Ikeda Cult. SGBye and Hitch you guys really have it going. I would like to help our readers protect themselves.

How to Home Visit Proof Your Home

And now, with winter closing in, all those senior leaders have their beady eyes trained on you, an easy mark for the May Contribution Campaign. Your house is prime territory for a home visit. When they come sniffing around, keep ‘em moving with the critter proofing methods on this page. A lot of it comes down to nothing more than a statue of Shakyamuni Buddha or Nichiren Daishonin in front of the Gohonzon.

Who are the infiltrators? According to the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren Daishonin: They are those who claim to have attained what they have not; those whose ego is so big that think themselves wise enough to instruct Nichiren and his disciples; those conceited men and women who think that somehow, without their guidance, the Daimoku and Gohonzon is insufficient for you to attain Buddhahood; those looking to increase their Chapter’s or Area’s numbers; those looking to climb up the ladder to Chapter Chief, Area, or Territory Leader.

It is usually not necessary to call professionals to remove them but, of course, it’s always easier to keep them out in the first place than to remove them when they’re in. Either way, it helps to know your enemy.

Those who claim to have attained what they have not:

Sometimes they crawl down chimneys or gnaw and claw their way through your front door. Threat: They weaken rather than strengthen your faith. As with most SGI intruders they can best be kept at bay with a strong association with your Kempon Hokke friends or by blocking possible pathways into the house. If you fail to remove them, in the case of these slanderers, they may require either professional removal [very large mean housemember] or calling 911.

Those whose ego is so big that think themselves wise enough to instruct Nichiren and his disciples:

People think these senior leaders are smart, but what they are is tenacious, says Tientai, a home visit control specialist in Canton China, and a spokesman for the Kempon Hokke. “These Gakkai leaders with big egos are capable of climbing a downspout and pulling loose a soffit or ripping off a roof shingle to get inside”, he says. WD Leaders are liable to use your messy house or intimate guidance sessions as an excuse to laud themselves over you. Those who think themselves wise enough to instruct Nichiren are bad enough in the living room but never show them your den. They might get comfortable and stay for another hour or two. Never feed them or offer them tea or coffee. You can fend off these nuisances by getting a protective Pit Bull or Rotty. Try also, not to have just finished cooking a tasty meal or have delicious dainties lying about. The bad thing about these unwanted guests, usually they are so into themselves that they don’t really care what you are doing, your needs, or exigencies. You can prearrange a friend to call fifteen minutes after these pests arrive and tell them you have an emergency. Alternatively, you can chant Namu Myoho renge kyo while they are leading Daimoku and chanting Nam Myoho renge kyo. Remember, these Ikedabots don’t play nice when cornered or trapped.

Those conceited men and women who think that somehow, without their guidance, the Daimoku and Gohonzon is insufficient for you to attain Buddhahood:

These severely deluded Soka men and women can talk your ear off, are quite charming, and are inveterate liars. They always have some experience about Sensei, how they overcame mesothelioma or premature ejaculation by seeking and following Sensei. Prevention is the best policy in the case of these arrogant borderline psychotic individuals. a Heavy metal door with seven or eight Yale locks works quite well. Lights out and being very quiet is another good strategy. If they succeed in getting you to open up the door, you can prepare yourselves nicely with ear plugs or miniature radio receivers so you can listen to your favorite program while they drone on about Sensei, more Sensei, Rock the Era, or the importance of statistics to Buddhist practice. If you don’t have ear plugs or a miniature radio receiver, then your only course may be to have read the Lotus Sutra several times and the Five Major Works over and over again. Prepare yourself however, for the obligatory, “Sharihotsu” or “you lack faith” comment. Short of threatening them with a Samurai sword or an AR15 rifle, you may not be able to cut off THAT conversation and feeling oh so small. If you are chanting a lot of Daimoku you can intuit when the conversation is about to turn to slander of you as a person, and you can suddenly claim to have the worst migraine of your life. But, just as those senior leaders who think themselves wise enough to instruct Nichiren, these leaders who think that their guidance is more important than Shakyamuni’s and Nichiren’s, are quite tenacious. Blood capsules may be carefully and stealtfully utilized by pinching them against the skin of the upper lip, just below the nostril. A “nosebleed” always has a big impact, even on the most thoughtless Gakkai leader.

The nastier ones, those who have been going to non stop meetings and home visitations for the last several weeks may, due to lack of daily showering and good personal hygiene, bring in fleas, lice, or ticks. Once you succeed in getting them to go home, be sure to have some extra strength Raid and air freshener on hand.

The last two unwanted guests may be lumped together: Those looking to increase their Chapter’s Area’s, or Territory’s numbers and those looking to climb up the ladder to Chapter, Area, or Territory Leader.

These shallow leaders aren’t really into home visits. Almost any excuse, immediately after Gongyo will do. However, if they bring a junior leader along, they may feel constrained to make a show of caring and compassion. If you don’t mind touching them, you can gently grab the arm of the junior leader and briskly walk him to the door. Since he has no way of getting home without his senior, usually the senior will follow. Other senior leader removal techniques are Taiko drum beats to the Daimoku or even clackers. Having a copy of a Nichiren inscribed Gohonzon too, is often quite effective. Installing steel window screens may be necessary.

Date: April 07, 2012 03:42PM

Nichijew
These shallow leaders aren’t really into home visits. Almost any excuse, immediately after Gongyo will do. However, if they bring a junior leader along, they may feel constrained to make a show of caring and compassion. If you don’t mind touching them, you can gently grab the arm of the junior leader and briskly walk him to the door. Since he has no way of getting home without his senior, usually the senior will follow. Other senior leader removal techniques are Taiko drum beats to the Daimoku or even clackers. Having a copy of a Nichiren inscribed Gohonzon too, is often quite effective. Installing steel window screens may be necessary.

This is SOOOO TRUE!! It's just like the Mormon elders when they come to visit you. One is obviously the "big cheese" in charge and the other a lap dog in training who can't even go to the bathroom without getting his senior's permission.

And this is hilarious! If you mention the daimoku to drum beats to gakkai members, they immediately react like Linda Blair getting holy water splashed onto them.

Re: Former SGI members
Date: April 07, 2012 08:55PM

I'm just now realizing, SGBye, that we have walked very similar paths.

SGBye
Even if this stuff is beaten into your head from childhood, there's still hope of getting away relatively unscathed. I officially joined the SGI around 6 months old, learned gongyo (prayers) at 7, and can remember having a photo of Ikeda in my room around that same age. In fact, my first name was actually given to me by Ikeda. I believe it's a fairly common thing in Japan to request Ikeda to name your expected child. I've briefly considered changing my name, but it would be a hassle at this point since I'm well into my thirties.

I remember doing gongyo before kindergarten and I grew up in a house with Ikeda's picture hanging up on the wall next to the family bustudan (in fact, it's still there). I've seen all kinds (and I mean ALL KINDS) of members come and go throughout my life and years in the practice. Some are still plugging away at it, no different in the their personal fortunes (some even worse off) and just getting drastically older.

SGBye
I was very active in the SGI: being in the brassband and doing gymnastics at conventions, shakubuku, various leadership positions. But, even after all of that, I had no problem walking away. It was a combination of seeing deception and corruption with my own eyes, reading plausible things on the Internet, and being turned off by the ever-growing worshipping of Ikeda (the guy who named me!). I don't harbor any ill feelings toward my parents. In fact, I feel kind of sad for them. They've given a lot of their time (and money) to the SGI but are far from living what I would call quality lives in their golden years. So where is all that good fortune they were supposedly building up by fighting for kosen-rufu?

I was extremely active as well. My practice grew and grew, climaxing briefly around high school age, then slowly drifting off (with education and critical thinking). They tried to get me to be an HQ leader, but I just as quickly backed out of it, because it coincided with the same time that I was becoming increasingly wary of the organization. My bullsh** meter started to register more & more with time, until I finally called it quits. I just simply walked away and only reengaged when contacted or home v'ed. At one point, I had some things to get out of my system, so I went and saw Mr. Williams and did so. Although I had already been out for quite a while, it solidified everything. I could see things in an entirely different light. It was a like getting an unwelcome glimpse of Mr. Oz behind the curtain. I saw everything CLEARLY thru the eyes of a critical thinking adult; twas not a pretty picture, I'll just say that much.

SGBye
And then there's my sibling, who is a completely different story from me. My sibling is way into the SGI (and I mean WAY into it). We can't even have a conversation without the SGI or chanting or Ikeda being brought up. And this sibling gets offended if I even say the slightest negative thing about the practice.

Like I said, reading things on the Internet was one of the things that helped me in my decision; a decision I am so glad I made. So I agree that posting this stuff is very important. And a lot of times I just post things straight out of the World Tribune - they aren't transcriptions from any secret SGI meetings. The SGI can't protest - it's all propaganda that they themselves regularly shove down the members' throats (and encourage you to share with others).

I've got a parent who is way beyond off the deep end with the organization, a stark raving nuts gakkai kamikaze soldier. I went thru hell and back growing up with the practice, as a result. I don't really feel too sorry for them, because they are happy and unsane with the practice; if it were removed, they would just become unhappy, unable to cope and probably go entirely insane. I've come to view it as a lesser of two evils, given what I know. So, it is what it is and such is life. Lots of wasted finances, I'll grant you that, but it's what they *wanted* to do and made them happy.

I knew what the cult was about long before the internet. The internet merely confirmed it all. The only thing that really surprised me was that there were so many others who had been thru the same ringer, especially so-called "fortune babies" who grew up in the practice. In a way, it's kind of refreshing to know that there are others out there who have survived, come out the other end and reclaimed their compass, sanity and lives.

On that note, a tip of my hat to all of you who managed to make it out, especially to fellow kids (now adults) who through no real choice of their own were *forced* to grow up and be brainwashed in the practice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.