Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: March 19, 2012 08:48AM

Excellent, Nichijew. Well done. Those clips need to always be up and out there, if for no other reason than the gakkai wants them down.

Evergreen, Ikeda is insulting Williams at the beginning of part II posted by Nichijew. He's basically saying how Williams is standing alone on the stage tooting his trumpet (i.e., saxaphone) while all the members are leaving, blissfully unaware. He then gestures to Williams with his right arm from his head that Williams is basically a fool/idiot/baka. Williams on the surface is initally laughing it off, but watch the rest of the videos and keep your eye on Williams, it's obvious he's in coping mode. I've seen Mr. Williams dozens of times at meetings, big and small, and I've never seen him so uncomfortable.

Simplify, I find the "confused fan dancers" [www.youtube.com] video very disturbing. Those are kids out there and they have absolutely zero comprehension as to *what* they are performing to. Here's a video [www.youtube.com] that has the lyrics overdubbed into English (Ikeda's speech at the beginning is only in Japanese, but he's just explaining the importance of the song. "Don't ever forget, it's a splendid and fine song." etc.). The lyrics are very militaristic. I'll bet that many of parents don't even realize the full extent as to what it all represents. It's so sad. I can see myself out there doing the same thing at their age. I've literally walked in their shoes.

Btw, regarding culture festivals: at the end of the festival(s), the climax, I remember fellow performers having an emotional and physical breakdown right on the field in the ecstasy of the lights, blaring music, cheering crowds, clapping, embracing of other performs and the balloons/confetti flying thru the air - a full blown trembling, sobbing and collapsing breakdown. Grown adults with sweat and tears streaming down their faces in complete loss of their mental faculties. I can still see some of their faces, just like a movie scene imprinted into my memory. Some really crazy stuff when you are down there in the midst of it all. I remember looking around in disbelief and wondering what all this had to do with world peace. I also knew that since it was all finally over, it also meant that I could get some rest . . . . . . for one day (before starting the next campaign). Brainwash. Rinse. And repeat. Endlessly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 09:09AM by Hitch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: March 19, 2012 09:39AM

Btw, regarding parades, when the one parade I was in was over and we were on the bus, our "cho" or whatever he was as a leader was pumping his arms and his voice was nearly gone from screaming in delight over our victory. He reached toward me, grabbed my shoulders and shook me while looking wildly into my eyes. I wanted to give the right response and react way big beyond my usual introspective nature and gave him a great big "Yeah!" right back, but he froze and looked in my eyes with horror (I know, my favourite word) and furrowed brow as if I were devoid of genuine response, gakkai fever, Buddha nature what have you, and the parade had zero effect on me. ( picture Woody Allen saying " I thought it was pretty decent") I basically harshed his buzz. I took reactions like that as a sign that the diehard members were really perceptive at picking up high life condition or the lack of it. It almost chills me now thinking of it. I mean like the programming working on me again, right now sort of way. Life Condition. I hated those frog-faced slight looks of disapproval from those stooges.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 19, 2012 10:35AM

"Excellent, Nichijew. Well done. Those clips need to always be up and out there, if for no other reason than the gakkai wants them down."

Right Hitch, fully 90+ percent of the video sites that had them have taken them down due to threats and intimidation from the multi multi billion dollar cult. The thing the SGI hates the most is free speech. All fascist organizations hate free speech.

Absolutely disgusting that fan dance. Those poor children. We should rather outlaw this one cult than offer up ten thousand prayers.

Nichijew.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 19, 2012 10:41AM

rattyboy
Btw, regarding parades, when the one parade I was in was over and we were on the bus, our "cho" or whatever he was as a leader was pumping his arms and his voice was nearly gone from screaming in delight over our victory. He reached toward me, grabbed my shoulders and shook me while looking wildly into my eyes. I wanted to give the right response and react way big beyond my usual introspective nature and gave him a great big "Yeah!" right back, but he froze and looked in my eyes with horror (I know, my favourite word) and furrowed brow as if I were devoid of genuine response, gakkai fever, Buddha nature what have you, and the parade had zero effect on me. ( picture Woody Allen saying " I thought it was pretty decent") I basically harshed his buzz. I took reactions like that as a sign that the diehard members were really perceptive at picking up high life condition or the lack of it. It almost chills me now thinking of it. I mean like the programming working on me again, right now sort of way. Life Condition. I hated those frog-faced slight looks of disapproval from those stooges.

Ya mon! If Shakyamuni Buddha or Nichiren Daishonin were in the Gakkai, they would be reprimanded for being thoughtful, reserved, and serious.

Disgusted Nichijew

Date: March 19, 2012 07:06PM

rattyboy

I saw lots of wild-eyed looks in my days in the practice. I always took it to mean that those particular members were particularly unbalanced (and they were).

I never fully got with the program either. Looking back, I'd say it was pretty obvious and the writing was on the wall for me that sooner or later, I'd be looking to escape from the nut house. And that's exactly what I did. One of the best things I ever did in my life, too.

Re: Former SGI members
Date: March 19, 2012 07:13PM

dragon14
I was in Boston in the late 80s, and as a YMD then, I took a lot of trips to Flushing Meadow in Queens to participate in these same kinds of activities. One time, George Williams made an appearance while we were sweltering in the sun. To this day, the "Ay Ay Oh" stuff also makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. In a five minute "guidance and encouragement", we'd do that cheer about 15 times, and follow it up with the ever-contrived and practiced-in-advance "let's have a picture with Rijicho!". Those photo ops - argh! - spontaneous my a**! Unlike some contributors who have said they value the time they spent in the SGI even though they're no longer members, I still feel regret at the valuable time I wasted on these cultish activities.

Different part of the country, EXACT SAME "spontaneous" photo ops with Williams. Amazing, isn't it!

I regret all the time I wasted with the practice. I value none of it. "Value Creation" society? Not for me. More like "Misery, Mind Games & Energy Draining Cult." SGI = Such Gullible Idiots.

You know, the more I read this mb, the more memories that it brings back. Here's one (I don't know how I forgot this, because they told it so many times) :

dragon14
I also recall a time when someone told me (a secondhand account) about Richard Sasaki (the then YMD chief) coming to New York and in some "guidance" telling the YMD that they were "pussies" for not doing more daimoku. It's right in line with what you reference: problems are solved by doing more shakubuku and daimoku, even if the rest of your life suffers from neglect.

YD were supposed to be treated like crap (and we were). It was supposed to make you a stronger member - literally. Did they ever tell you, or anybody else, this story? They used to relish in sharing with us, stories about how the Kansai Japanese YD, during their "famous" campaigns, performed in the mud and rain and willingly wore adult diapers so that they wouldn't have to leave the field/stadium/seats for even a moment. That "Kansai Fighting Spirit", with your diapers full, made you a better member. I kid you not. I'm 100% serious. We were told to strive for that same kind of "spirit." The implication was very clear - that if called upon, it would be a honor to sh** our pants for sensei.

I honestly don't know how or why I ever sat thru this kind of stuff (pun intended). If I were to hear this kind of crazy brainwashed nonsense today, I wouldn't hesitate to stand up and leave immediately. Certified crazy idiocy. Like I said before, if I hadn't lived it, I wouldn't believe it myself.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 19, 2012 11:25PM

That "Kansai Fighting Spirit", with your diapers full, made you a better member. I kid you not. I'm 100% serious. We were told to strive for that same kind of "spirit." The implication was very clear - that if called upon, it would be a honor to sh** our pants for sensei.

Here is a possibly byproduct of this extreme behavior.

It would isolate the subject from anyone outside of SG.

How can you let any outsider know that you wore diapers regressed so much that you sat in your own shit for the honor of a leader?

This becomes a secret that binds you yet more closely to the other diaper wearers.

And once a person has been through this - it would be so much more difficult to admit to misgivings later on. That would mean having to admit to oneself that one was used, manipulated, made to crap and poop, all in service of of dictator.

How can a person come home to themselves again and awaken to the embarassment after having been through this?

Date: March 20, 2012 02:39AM

Hitch
That constant feeling of "doom" is classic cult psychological manipulation. It's also mentioned in the video I posted early "How Cults Work" (along with all the stupid activities - i.e., marching/parades - and a very humorous song for the leader - i.e., forever sensei). You're supposed to be afraid because your thoughts have been reformed (i.e., you're brainwashed, as were we all at some point).

As per wakkata's post, that's how it all starts. Confirmation bias, cherry picking the evidence to support what you want to believe, nothing more. Did you see my post earlier about the lady who wasn't actually chanting yet the members told her it was because she was? Even if she had told them she really wasn't chanting, they still would have come up with something else, like "well, it's because you've met the gohonzon/true law. You're so fortunate to even obtain such a benefit even before you start chanting!" Trust me, they can always come up with something. It's ridiculous at times.

I've grown up in the practice and have heard, literally, hundreds, if not thousands, of "experiences." There was never one, not a single one, that I remember that could not be explained as confirmation bias. 99+% of them were the usual silly things. Even the <1% that wasn't asinine, were vague and only appear as "miraculous" due to ignorance (of the personal, scientific or statistical variety). I've always laughed at Ikeda's making a big deal about him overcoming tuberculosis in his novel (HR). It's a perfect example of such ignorance. I can't count the number of times I've sat in gakkai meetings listening to members' experiences and had to suppress my desire to roll my eyes at what they found as an "incredible benefit."

The confirmation bias works in both directions, positive and negative. This is in the negative direction. It's also an entirely different fallacy that has a name - "argumentum in terrorem" (an argument to terror/an appeal to fear) [en.wikipedia.org]. This kind of stuff is the basic ham & cheese of cult/religious psychological manipulation and delusional thinking. Know what is and recognize it for what it is. There is nothing mystical about it, except only for those who want it to be (or in the case of the cult, need it to be, to keep control).

It's always liberating to dump all the emotional and psychological baggage that one is carrying around. All of this baggage was placed there, without your knowledge, by the cult, too. They're not going to come and clean up after themselves, because they don't want it cleaned up. It's up to you to do it yourself. I personally don't recommend (in the words of anticult) "jumping from frying pan to frying pan and straight to the fire" by joining another cult/religion, but that's just me. As I've also said before, we are all different and have different needs. Best wishes to you. Keep doubting and thinking for yourself, it's healthy and should be done by everyone. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either ignorant and/or manipulating you.

Once you're completely free, on the other side, you'll look back in amazement as to how you ever fell for any of the nonsense. I do, now. It's also good for a good laugh for me now, too. If I hadn't actually lived it, I'd never believe that such ridiculous stuff was even possible in real life. Finding this mb, I realized I wasn't the only one.

Thank you so much for responding. I have been thinking about what you have written the last few days. Thank you for validating my experience. I am so thankful for this board. I am learning so much. I can't believe how brainwashed I have been, and yet I am grateful I have not become as brainwashed as I could be. I am relieved to hear and realize that the doom feeling is part of the cult manipulation. I can see how this has affected my life for the last few years.

They say this organization is about becoming happy, and yet although I had times I was more motivated by the chant, these last few years have been filled with a lot of fear for me because of the doom.

I, too can relate to having had good things happen, and the SGI taking credit for it. I once got a job after a long bout of unemployment. I had not been chanting, and the SGI was ready to take credit. Whatever..

However when something more scary would happen to me, and I brought up the SGI, it surely wasn't their fault. Thank you so much for your posts! I also want to thank everyone!

Date: March 20, 2012 02:42AM

Nichijew
rattyboy

Ya mon! If Shakyamuni Buddha or Nichiren Daishonin were in the Gakkai, they would be reprimanded for being thoughtful, reserved, and serious.

Disgusted Nichijew

Oh, my goodness...I love all of this because I can relate to it. I always felt like something was wrong with in terms of the Gakkai. I have always been a quiet person. I was told at meetings that I needed to show a higher life condition to the members. In other words, my quietness was misconstrued as low life condition. I happen to be a deeply analytical person by nature. I do get a little suspicious of people telling me that I am too much of a thinker. This happened a lot in the Gakkai for me.

Date: March 20, 2012 02:47AM

Wakatta 1
I recall in my very early days with the SokaGakkai in Japan at age 20, I was having a very rough time of it (away from home, feeling isolated, coping with "adult" grade problems). The individual that was most responsible for getting me to accept a Gohonzon and I spoke one day when I was really down, and he said "you are being punished by the Gohonzon because you aren't chanting enough". He went on to point out that my life force was draining away and the only way I could get it back was to chant (along with a lot of equivocations about how it was a great blessing because I was changing "poison into elixir", etc. etc.). It was all so easy-peasy, just chant!

At that moment I think is when the "hook" was set, and it wouldn't be for years until I re-examined that thought process. Life has its ups and downs, whether you are "buddhist", buddhist, christian or a member of the Church of Bob. There are a lot of philosophical stretches you can make, but the whole "Divine Punishment" thing is probably the longest and most insidious.

At the time, the next questions were "what do I do" and what was dispensed back was that it was all "cause and effect" (i.e. you might have some influence if you knew what the cause was) and the only way to "solve" the problem is to open-endedly throw yourself into Gakkai (cult) activities. That is where the fanaticism comes from, it is totally open ended, and there is no way of knowing whether it would make things any better.

At the District meetings you now are hungry for examples of how it has really worked out, That is when you take a deep drink of the "kool aid" and start listening to other people's opinions (and of course "experiences" in which people, (singled out and under social pressure), stretch very hard to identify how their life has been "improved" by the practice. (In my many years of Gakkai, NSA practice I never heard one person say "I chanted and chanted and chanted and nothing happened", instead it was "I chanted and *holy smokes* I found a 5 dollar bill" instead.) In other words, cause and effect goes out the window and it becomes a "mystic reward" (Magical!) Essentially side-tracking things into expectations of some sort of "miraculous" event to occur instead. Implications being that if YOU don't see miracles happening in your life, it is because you don't chant hard enough and you must redouble your efforts, donate more money, join Kotekitai, do toban, carry flags in parades, do Pac-Man Shakubuku, revere sensei, etc. etc.) Surely it couldn't be the practice that is wrong....

Consider the case of someone with a life-threatening disease and the doctor tells them they can cure themselved "if only" they knew what cause would do it - and then they provide them with a list of a dozen, life-long tasks to choose from. Essentially, under the guise of providing direction and wisdom, you are instead given a shot of "cult" indoctrination with the goal of making you into a robot for that cause.

So that sense of "Impending DOOM" is pervasive in the group's guidance, literature, experiences and is the unspoken "boogieman" of the practice. (Possibly one of their trademarks I daresay) I recall reading guidance to the effect of "when you are worrying it is your life sensing that bad karma is appearing, and to avoid it you must do gongyo and chant tirelessly until that "impending doom feeling" goes away which will mean you've changed the karma. (And by the way, you sadly discover that the sense of impending doom never goes away, no matter how many times during the night you get up and look under the bed)

Wakatta1

"Better out than in I always say" -- Shrek

This is very well-stated. The interesting thing for me is that for many years the way I solved my problems is by chanting about them, and doing gongyo. I think the SGi clearly has it down on how to manipulate people. I am seeing that the doom and gloom is a major way they pull people in, and then you are more prone to really listening to the experiences. It is clearly indoctrination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 02:51AM by Findingmywaytoday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.