Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: March 18, 2012 09:29AM

Hitch how do I find the video of Mr. Williams be reproached?
thanks!
evergreen

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:30PM

evergreen
thanks!
evergreen

Hi, I just checked the links in my original post (back on p. 348 [forum.culteducation.com], see 6th post down) and they no longer work. They worked before, so it appears that the videos have been removed. "Terms Of Use Violation." Hmmm, wonder why. ;-)

Posted by: simplify ()
Date: March 19, 2012 05:39AM

Hitch
evergreen
thanks!
evergreen

Hi, I just checked the links in my original post (back on p. 348 [forum.culteducation.com], see 6th post down) and they no longer work. They worked before, so it appears that the videos have been removed. "Terms Of Use Violation." Hmmm, wonder why. ;-)

Hmmm, I've seen the video you are talking about several times on both YouTube and Vimeo, if it was the one with excerpts from a meeting in Santa Monica in about 1993 (?). the highlights are PI pounding on the table like a toddler having a tantrum ('look at meeeee..') when George Williams is speaking and PI complaining most ungraciously that President Clinton had declined a meeting with him.

I tried to find it on YouTube again, but it has completely disappeared, so it looks like the SGI PR department has been busy again, rewriting history, as the video used to be on at least three different websites and now it has gone. This only serves as confirmation that SGI is a cult with something to hide. This is not unlike the type of censorship that Scientologists carry out.

I regret that I didn't download the clips when I had a chance. Maybe we can track down the person who originally uploaded it and get a copy?

Date: March 19, 2012 06:04AM

Talking of Scientology, has anyone been following the comments on the latest post 'Quick Dharma Hits' on the (new) BuddhaJones site? The post is about the ChantBuddy app for iPhone (among other things). Joe Isuzu in his most recent comment informs us that ChantBuddy has the song 'I Seek Sensei' available on your phone. it looks like you need never now be far away from being reminded to seek your 'mentor' if you are a good SGI member! See Joe's comment here Buddha Jones - In Every Way.

I have been looking at the similarities between SGI and Scientology and there appear to be many. Scientology is based on Ron Hubbard's fictional science fiction myth. SGI uses an established religious philosophy to attract and keep members. I think the latter is a much more insidious form of cult.

Here's the link to the ChantBuddy version of the song on YouTube (those of you with weak stomachs may want to prepare yourselves with a sick bag before watching ;-) I Seek Sensei

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 06:22AM by simplify.

Re: Former SGI members
Date: March 19, 2012 06:18AM

lthomas
Also, another thing that I noticed within SGI was the fact that, the higher you were promoted, the more colder you seemed. It was as if normal human emotions such as, sadness (and in some cases anger) were not allowed. I remember one time suffering as a result of a emotionally abusive relationship. I got no support at all. The members kept telling me that, I was the one who cause this to happen to me. They purport to this as if it was the result of a past life time that I had shared with this person that cause this to happen. I also remember a young woman being molested and her going for guidance and being told that she chose for it to happen to her as a result of a past life. There was ( and still is) so much of that going on. The thing about it though was those same people who were talking about all of these things would slander, curse, and demean others if something bad happen to them.

The group/district/chapter/headquarters level leaders were a mixed bag. You didn't find as many ice cold hearts at the lower levels (the "volunteer" positions, and I use that term very loosely). But once you got to the regional/territory and salaried leader level, I would agree that they all behaved like cold hearted, pre-programmed robots without an emotion chip (or conscience). It's as if they had erected a wall between them and emotions when dealing with member and their problems. There was always a distance separating them and they always dictated what was best for you. One-way, cliched dictates - all the answers a simple variation on the same theme: change your karma by practicing harder (which can mean anything they want you to do. Nowadays it seems to be go to FNCC - the cult retreat for more deeper, more intense thought reform immersion). The sheer arrogance with which they would tell people what was best for them (even in situations that they knew absolutely nothing about) was incredible. When you're in the organization, it's entirely "normal" to you. From the outside looking in, however, it is sheer hubris.

"Go get guidance" is just code for:

1) You've got weak faith, a negative attitude or are stepping out of bounds and need to get back in line with the program. This kind of guidance was always strict, authoritarian and combative.

and/or

2) If you are doing the best you can and still experiencing "problems', let us brainwash you deeper with fear and slogans, to make you even more servile to the cause. This kind of guidance was always stern, guilt ridden and manipulative.

And of course the best of all situations (from the cult's perspective) was when you didn't need any more guidance, were a good (unthinking) member and could help them out by being an instant expert cult-guidance counselor yourself. Practice makes perfect - and everybody was doing it.

Date: March 19, 2012 06:38AM

simplify
Here's the link to the ChantBuddy version of the song on YouTube (those of you with weak stomachs may want to prepare yourselves with a sick bag before watching ;-) I Seek Sensei

That's some very heavily sugared kool aid there.

As a random side note - the culture festivals that I participated in always reminded me of The Nuremberg Rallies, especially from the perspective of a participant in the field (the way you were treated, commanded and worn down). All of this from a so-called "Peace" organization, too. At the time, I never could figure out what it had to do with peace. It was always drilled into us that were were performing for one reason - one man. The Dear Leader.

Date: March 19, 2012 07:11AM

Hitch
As a random side note - the culture festivals that I participated in always reminded me of The Nuremberg Rallies, especially from the perspective of a participant in the field (the way you were treated, commanded and worn down). All of this from a so-called "Peace" organization, too. At the time, I never could figure out what it had to do with peace. It was always drilled into us that were were performing for one reason - one man. The Dear Leader.
That is exactly how I viewed them too (like Nurenberg Rallies). Even when I was under the SGI spell, I couldn't cope with the military music and behaviour and language. I used to ask questions about it - the language in particular - but inevitably the response would be a quizzical look, as if I was mad, and 'Well we are fighting for Kosenrufu aren't we???' subtext: you need to chant more and get with the programme.

The music on this YouTube clip is that military style music and I think the poor YD members are meant to be moving with military precision, but it just looks a shambles, esp. compared to Nurenberg troops. Poor exhausted confused things. How anyone could think this sort of activity is a contribution to achieving world peace is beyond me!

confused fan dancers

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 19, 2012 07:16AM

Hi Hitch and all. It is under Eccentricities of SGI President: [www.liveleak.com]

Enjoy
Nichijew

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 19, 2012 07:32AM

Here's part 2. This is the part with Williams. [www.liveleak.com]

They can't remove it from everywhere. Make a personal copy.

Mark

Date: March 19, 2012 07:52AM

Nichijew
Here's part 2. This is the part with Williams. [www.liveleak.com]

They can't remove it from everywhere. Make a personal copy.

Mark

Thanks very much Mark, it is a relief to hear it is still around. The third clip with subtitles seems to be gone though. It won't play on my iPad, but I'm going to try to work out how to make a copy when I get to my PC tomorrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.