Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: simplify ()
Date: June 25, 2011 10:06PM

Nichijew
Too bad Assange and Wikileaks isn't on the case. A fly [bug] on the wall of the SGI executive committee meeting would be a real eye opener, I bet.....

Actually I came across a really old memo "The Kitano Memo" [web.archive.org] about an SGI-European Summit with Gen. Sec. Kitano in 1997 which was a bit like being a fly on the wall. You read about how at this meeting all the leaders machinate ad nauseam about Danto members etc. then they issue the official statement about the meeting which goes like this:

The sanitized version for non-members presented on the SGI public relations website:

SGI Europe Holds Summit in Germany

"SGI-Europe members held a two-day summit at Villa Sachsen Grand Culture
Center in Bingen, Germany from December 20 to 21. SGI Vice General Director
Yuichiro Kitano, SGI-Europe Chair Shoichi Hasegawa and representatives from
19 European countries discussed study and cultural activities planned for 1998.
During the summit, Mr. Hasegawa emphasized the importance of accord based
on mutual respect and meaningful dialogue among SGI members who are
sincerely studying and practicing Nichiren Buddhism. Mr. Kitano stressed that
leaders are the key to an organization's development and urged the
representatives to have a strong sense of responsibility to serve the members."

This statement bears no resemblance to the goals set out in the memo. What SGI says it is and does has absolutely nothing to do with what SGI really is and does!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 25, 2011 10:21PM

doubtful
@spamster who wrote, " Daisaku Ikeda has written some of the best interpretations of Nichirens writings, that are available - they are well worth reading to get a modern, 'daily life' understanding of Buddhism. however, simply by calling him 'sensei' and saying you can 'feel his heart' repeatedly, you will not change your life in any way whatsoever. Also, while he writes some really good encouraging guidance (often via ghost writers), his poetry sucks. As does his photography. He's human. Get over it.
- Giving money to Soka Gakkai is a good way of supporting the organisation, enabling them (us?) to build more centres, fund libraries, educational activities etc. However, it will NOT change your financial karma, magically turn you into a millionaire, help your money management
" Welcome to the board. I really enjoyed your post. However the only thing I could think is that SGI UK must be very different than here because you sound quite rational and intelligent (I am not being condescending) yet you don't appear to grasp that SGI is the problem. Ikeda is the problem. The leaders/members are the problem. At this point it seems futile to try to determine who is the guiltiest of perverting Buddhism. They all share the responsibility. If you have read most of the thread you will get a taste of what's in store for SGI UK and SGI anywhere new. Obviously your experience of the organization allows you to accomodate the non-Buddhist nature of the organization to your own detriment. If you really are able to separate the true from the false of how SGI members/leaders distort Buddhism why hasn't this led you to question the need to engage in the separation or accomodation? First of all, Ikeda's writings are okay, just okay when you read other Buddhist writers like Jack Kornfield, Thich Nhat Hanh, or Dalai Lama to name a few. In fact, a casual search on Amazon or on Google will yield up quite a number of interpreters that make Ikeda look simplistic and narrowly focused on praising Toda (so that the readers will praise HIM). Even before leaving SGI, I had started reading other Buddhist writers only to find the SGI pubs lacking more and more. Furthermore, SGI leaders think his is the last word on Buddhism when NOTHING could be further from the truth to anyone who studies Buddhism outside of SGI. They also see him as greater than MLK and greater than Gandhi--even though he has done NOTHING to deserve this outside of propagating SGI's version of Nichiren Buddhism. Therefore the idea of gathering funds for a multi-billion dollar organization to build more centers or sponsor more exhibits like Gandh-King-Ikeda or to trumpet Ikeda's greatness in other more or less subtle ways etc is not a benign activity. Of course no one's financial karma or status will change, except that of the top leaders. You sound like a good man with a good heart who values Nichiren Buddhism, but you are not being as critical of SGI as you might suspect. In short, your accomodations could end up contributing to more people joining or continuing something that is definitely not Buddhist. If that's what you intend, ok. If not...

You are absolutely right Doubtful, SGI-UK is very different to SGI-USA. It is much more laid-back and far less authoritarian than the US, even at the very top levels. This is actually more insidious, as it makes it much harder for people to spot that they are members of an organisation run by a multi-billion Japanese cult! That is why this forum is so important - it shares information that shows what is going on behind the "Buddhist" front that is all most people involved in the organisation see.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 26, 2011 06:13AM

Simplify, that memo is valuable...and it really reflects the SGI of the 1990's. I well remember attending meetings where members were urged to chant for the failure of Nikken's (who was then high priest of Nichiren Shoshu) trip to New York City. I also remember a meeting where a leader told us that the Nichiren Shoshu priests were coming to American cities, and if we saw any, we needed to report this to our leaders immmediately! They made it sound like this was something we should be absolutely terrified of -- invasion of the body snatchers or something!

Nobody I knew ever saw any priests -- and a bunch of bald Japanese men would certainly be noticeable around here, especially if they were wearing their robes.

I can't copy the whole memo here, as it is fourteen single-spaced typed pages, but here are some excerpts.

-----------------------------Excerpt, the Kitano Memo, 1997------------------------------------------------------------------

To: The people responsible for SGI-D HS (men's division ?)
Copies to: SGI-D SOKO
Date: 28/12/97
Ref: Info. from 16K SGI-European Summit on 20/21-l2-1997
                  SGI-EU Summit with Gen. Sec. Kitano. 
                    20/21-12-97 Villa Sachzen.

..........As reported, (by SGI-USA and SGI-Taiwan), the actions of the Nikken sect have become more dangerous and we must keep them under careful observation.

.......What we, at all costs, have to watch are the malicious strategies of the Nikken sect overseas. Initially, they target a member and organize a core group of about ten members as a "unit". Eventually, this becomes a basic group and this will be legally registered. Then the intrinsic members of the local management of the organization are taken over/replaced as we have seen in Panama. Following this, Obayashi, who is the person responsible for Nichiren Shoshu overseas affairs, or a Priest of the Nikken sect, comes and takes over the Chairmanship. Next follows the building of a Temple which is also the house or home of the Priest. He then takes over responsibility for the planning and activities of the Temple members and the organization expands.

Mathematically viewed, the attack of the Nikken sect starts from point to line, from line to the lateral dimension, and from the two dimensional to the three dimensional.

......Before the beginning of our fight, I would like to confirm three points:

Initially and especially we should be "pro-active", in other words, be informed of all the movements of the Nikken sect and apply a practical system of "counter-action". As you have already been informed, the SGI Strategy Dept. has been founded at the SGI-Head Office. In the past, the movements of the Nikken sect have been carefully monitored outside of Japan and in conjunction with the Bureau of the European Continent, counter- activities were instigated. Moreover, the Strategic Department has been provided to strengthen this system.

.......Many people will have to suffer because of that. Nikken has no interest in establishing Kosen Rufu.

......TAK (SGI Priest watchers ?) gave information regarding the movements of the Priest Ishida who arrived in Europe on a trip to Sounbeek-Stuttgart -Munich-Berlin-Oslo-Zurich.

.......Because an HSL (senior leader) of the Women's Division, (Mrs. Etsuko Yuasa), of the SGI-D had a "strange feeling" about a member who had recently resigned in writing from SGI-D, she telephoned this members house. Her son answered the telephone and said she could not come to the 'phone at the moment as there was a Ceremony taking place. The HSL heard slow Gongyo taking place in the background and suspected the worst. Together with her husband,UHSL, she got into the car and drove straight to the members house.

The member who had resigned opened the door and asked what they wanted. Both told her they wanted to speak to the priest. They were let into the flat and saw immediately that a Gojukai Ceremony had taken place because the Gohonzon of Nichikan had been replaced by one by Nikken. Apart from that, two of our members were also present. A young woman, (Naitoku), who had received Gojukai from the Priest without receiving Gohonzon, and a young man who had in the past received information both about the Priests and about the Soka Gakkai in order - as he said - to inform the members about the views of both sides so that they could build up a correct picture.

The Leaders introduced themselves and so did the priest. A short conversation followed and then the HSL left the meeting. They informed TAK immediately and called the responsible persons to a meeting at their house. Mr. Tak and Y. Matsuno also decided to attend that meeting at which more than ten leaders were present.

In the meantime, information regarding the possible flight plans of the priest Ishida had arrived at Tak's. Immediately, all those responsible were contacted in the various cities. The visit to Stuttgart had only become known to us after the Priest's visit but, in the case of Munich, it had been possible to find out where the priest went after his arrival at the Airport. Apparently, a meeting with five Danto members took place there. While our members were waiting in the car outside the house, they were spotted and the Police were called. The Police arrived and ;questioned the passengers but as nothing criminal was going on, they went away again.
The SGI members learned by "coincidence" the name of the hotel where the priest Ishida stayed overnight and they confronted him a total of three times.

.......However, the priest was so shocked about the meeting with our members in Munich, that he altered his plans and, apparently, flew early in the morning directly to Copenhagen and then on to Oslo.
As there are only a certain number of flights to Oslo, we were able to notify the person responsible for Norway in time for him to be present at the Airport when the Priest arrived. He was also able to identify the Danto members who were there to meet Ishida. Our members greeted the Priest jovially.

....... In the Temple, they had only done Gongyo together and it had been explained to them that lay members were not permitted to study the Gosho by themselves as they don't have the capacity, or ability. Only the Priests have this ability.

......l. Gather correct information about the movement. Method, time, use counter-action. Fight through the word/dialogue. 4. Supply excellent information for the members. Explain how they can win in any dispute.

The HSL will compile a list of Danto members finding out what each one of them does and their situation. The members in the front-line have the best means or opportunity of contact with the Danto members. If a leader appears, the Danto may decline to speak with us but if an "Old Friend" appears it usually results in a dialogue....Further to those members who do have contact with Danto members: "Even if it takes three or seven years before they understand what Nikken is about, please continue to cherish your contact with them. Invite them for meals and gradually introduce the subject before starting to talk about the situation - do not confront them with this straight away".

.....SEPARATE PAGE WITH PHOTO & DESCRIPTION OF REVEREND ISHIDA
This Priest is active in Germany now.
Possibly Munich, Berlin, Stuttgart & Koln.

-------------------------End of Excerpt, Kitano Memo--------------------------------------------------------

Yes, this is quite different than the memo sent out to the public, that Simplify posted. The language of the whole Kitano memo is very militaristic. The SGI leadership regarded the SGI/Nichiren Shoshu split as a war, and they consider it justifiable, even good, to do the following:

1. Perform surveillance on people who have joined, or who have expressed interest in, Nichiren Shoshu.
2. Phone people's homes, and listen for background noise.
3. Keep written lists of SGI members/former members who have joined, or expressed interest in Nichiren Shoshu.
4. Monitor priests' activities; confront and harass priests.
5. Members are to seek out information on Nichiren Shoshu priests and lay members, and report this information to their leaders.
6. Members are to pretend an interest in, and friendship for, Nichiren Shoshu members, with the goal of persuading these members to return to SGI.
7. Distribute priests' pictures and information about their whereabouts as if the priests are suspected criminals.

In other words, this is war! Nothing like a war to grab people's attention...and distract them from things that perhaps the leadership does not want them to be asking, and thinking about. No, let's unite people by giving them a common enemy to hate! Let's make them very afraid, so afraid of the evil priests that they'll cling to SGI for safety!

Two quotes especially interested me. One was the quote that Nikken had no interest in Kosen-rufu. The other was that temple members were not allowed to study the Gosho because the priests felt that ordinary people could not understand it. I think SGI was accusing the priests of doing what the senior leadership of SGI is doing. Nikken had no interest in peace, or Buddhism? Does Ikeda? Or is it all about his money, his power, his prestige....his stocks in companies that make weapons? And do SGI members really study the Gosho anymore, or just Ikeda's interpretations of the Gosho?

I was told, back in the 1990's, that Nichiren Shoshu was incorrect Buddhism because members were told that their enlightenment came from following the high priest. Yes, but SGI members are now being told that their enlightenment and benefit comes from taking Ikeda as their mentor --- so how is that different?

Ah, the old "Tu Quoque" argument -- "You do it too!" If I secretly fear that I might be greedy, dishonest, a coward, I will project that onto everyone else, and accuse them of greed, dishonesty, cowardice. And if they try to say "No, that's YOU!" --- well, they're a bunch of greedy and dishonest cowards! Who's going to listen to those avaricious, cowardly liars!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 06:34AM by tsukimoto.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 26, 2011 06:55AM

This thread, page 56, [forum.culteducation.com] has the copy of a June 9, 1994 court case from Spokane, Washington, in which two Nichiren Shoshu members filed a complaint against Soka Gakkai members. A Nichiren Shoshu priest had come to the United States to perform a wedding ceremony for one of the Nichiren Shoshu members. The two Nichiren Shoshu members met the priest at the Spokane airport and planned to drive him to Idaho, where wedding was to take place.

They were met at the Spokane airport by a group of Soka Gakkai members, who confronted the priest. The priest and the two Nichiren Shoshu members got into a car and headed out to Idaho -- and the Soka Gakkai members followed them and harassed them in Idaho too!

The Rick Ross archive contains an article from the June 25, 1991 Straits Times, regarding a confrontation between Soka Gakkai members and Nichiren Shoshu monks:

[www.culteducation.com]

The Straits Times, June 25, 1991

One member of the group of four monks and six followers said they were verbally abused and punched by local members of the Singapore Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist Association (SNSBA) [Note: Soka Gakkai Singapore].

And all the while, SGI is putting out public statements like this:

----------------------Quote, Simplify's post---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You read about how at this meeting all the leaders machinate ad nauseam about Danto members etc. then they issue the official statement about the meeting which goes like this:

The sanitized version for non-members presented on the SGI public relations website:

SGI Europe Holds Summit in Germany

"SGI-Europe members held a two-day summit at Villa Sachsen Grand Culture
Center in Bingen, Germany from December 20 to 21. SGI Vice General Director
Yuichiro Kitano, SGI-Europe Chair Shoichi Hasegawa and representatives from
19 European countries discussed study and cultural activities planned for 1998.
During the summit, Mr. Hasegawa emphasized the importance of accord based
on mutual respect and meaningful dialogue among SGI members who are
sincerely studying and practicing Nichiren Buddhism. Mr. Kitano stressed that
leaders are the key to an organization's development and urged the
representatives to have a strong sense of responsibility to serve the members."

This statement bears no resemblance to the goals set out in the memo. What SGI says it is and does has absolutely nothing to do with what SGI really is and does!

-------------------------------End of Simplify's quote------------------------------------------------------------------

Study and cultural activities? Espionage as a cultural activity?

Mutual respect and meaningful dialogue? What does that really mean? I will treat you with respect if you agree with me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 07:05AM by tsukimoto.

Date: June 26, 2011 07:39AM

tsukimoto
Study and cultural activities? Espionage as a cultural activity?

Mutual respect and meaningful dialogue? What does that really mean? I will treat you with respect if you agree with me?

I've always found SGI's use of language quite weird - even when I was a good little leader. Now I know why; it is pure doublethink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 07:40AM by simplify.

Posted by: backnforth ()
Date: June 26, 2011 11:35AM

I am very intrigued by the idea of the subliminal messages. This would be something worthwhile to expose if ever possible. If anyone knows anyone that might have possession of a DVD, or access to one of the DVD's, there must be a way to have it checked out.

Does anyone know how? It would be great to have a detailed post on how a DVD can be checked out so someone might be able to obtain one, have it checked and be able to expose this horrible act (if it is true).

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: June 27, 2011 12:52PM

Dear Tsukimoto:
Please compare all the SGI intrigue with what Nichiren wrote: "Since childhood, I, Nichiren, have never prayed for the secular things of this life but have single-mindedly sought to become a Buddha."

An SGI troll on my blog recently wrote:

"None of these people say that Daisaku Ikeda is necessary to achieve Buddhahood. This is a serious misrepresentation on your part. Making biased statements like this doesn’t do anything for your credibility." -- Jade

Then, a new former SGI member wrote:

"Yes Jade, I was present when Danny Nagashima brought the power-point presentation to show members that the correct mentor-disciple attitude was the only way to attain buddhahood. The beginning of the end for me was when one of our youth leaders recently spoke about being in rhythm . . . .with . . . . President Ikeda. Our poor youth are being trained to believe they are the true disciples of . . . . not Nichiren . . . .no, the true disciples of President Ikeda. Personally, I always thought the daimoku put me in rhythm with the positive universal functions, not a person." -- Julia

Twisted and warped is SGI. "Poor youth" is right.

Mark

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 28, 2011 01:10AM

hi there
have not been in here for quite a while. any news on membership in SGI going down? just noticed on the yahoo forum that there seems to be not much going on besides messages from "our dear leader"

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 28, 2011 01:22AM

spamster
Daisaku Ikeda has written some of the best interpretations of Nichirens writings, that are available

Have you ever read any other interpretations?

Date: June 28, 2011 07:21AM

Rothaus
spamster
Daisaku Ikeda has written some of the best interpretations of Nichirens writings, that are available

Have you ever read any other interpretations?

And how do we know Ikea wrote them? Spamster, if you look back on this thread you will read about how SGI closed down Lisa Jones's website. Lisa Jones is an ex-member of SGI-USA staff who explained about the many ghost writers employed to write in Ikeda's name. Also one of the contributors to this thread was a freelance ghostwriter for SGI-USA. i'm afraid I can't remember his name or the pages his posts were on but if I do trace them, I'll re-post for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.