Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: June 04, 2011 02:48AM

@doubtful

You've made some great points. We certainly did become arrogant, didn't we? Thinking that we were so superior to every one else. Thinking that they had no control over their lives like we did. Thinking that they couldn't really handle the bad things in their lives like we could.

I also really like what you said about it being a relief to be released from the idea that we can control everything. The stress of being in SGI is tremendous. Stress from not only the endless meetings and activities, but stress also from the idea that we have total control over our lives, and how well things are going and how happy we are is completely dependent on how much we chant and how much we do for SGI. If we are not happy, we don't need to work on our own attitude or environment, all we need to do is chant more. If things aren't going well for us, we don't need to work harder or organize things better, we just need to give more to SGI. Those kinds of beliefs can be very stressful. If things don't go right, guilt and stress set in.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: backnforth ()
Date: June 04, 2011 10:53AM

Great points; it's amazing looking back sometimes.

To your question Tsukimoto, "So...has SGI supported you? If so, how? If SGI did/does support you -- is that support worth what you might have lost or given up to be a member?"

In the beginnng the members I met were so warm, encouraging and helped me out of my shell and through a tough time (sound familiar?). The chanting was amazing and brought confidence and hope that I still appreciate today. As a newer member I jumped into an activity group and went off to Hawaii in 1985 wearing the white polyester and following the leader saying, "Hai!!!! "

The warning signs and red flags were there, but I looked away. It was strange how so many people became crying with happy tears at the sight of that short Japanese man that I was not familiar with. I was much more interested in the beach and so I did my thing (being still fairly new). At another event, we actually practiced yelling as loud as we could in advance of Rijicho (Mr. Williams) arrival. Another red flag but I looked beyond it too.

Possibly the organization attracted the socially challenged, lonely types (which I don't mind admitting, I was at the time).

I did not recognize the cult-like signs at all; I was feeling too good in my life. What a trap. But I will be honest, that I overall gained from the experience and felt socially supported. Even today, I cannot go into a church to replace that support because I do not believe in those teachings. Luckily I am socially capable now, but maybe that was just normal maturing.

The timing is perfect to separate from the SGI. I never signed up to idolize a person, and it is sooooo blantant now. I could give countless examples but I won't waste my energy at this point. I have become completely sure of my decision, but this process took time.

If this thread was only full of the Ikeda haters or people that didn't even really do the practice, I would have never taken the time to read much, and would have never got the additional support I needed at this time - which I did get from this thread. So thank you for all the variety of voices and opinions. I wish I could apologize for posting in support of the practice but that would be insincere. As long as we are helping others to see the big mistakes of the SGI and to reveal the personality cult it is, we can feel good about helping people be free of the SGI. That is the main point right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 11:00AM by backnforth.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: June 05, 2011 12:47AM

Great points quiet one and backnforth.

Nichijew

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: June 05, 2011 01:58AM

...I never signed up to idolize a person..." Thank you, Backnforth. I agree. For me: Attempts to resell me the same used car (SGI) whenever I'm around an SGI member or members, even at memorial services was ridiculous. Like being in a relationship with someone and always assessing the relationship as great without letting it breathe on its own. Having to hear about #s of degrees the big leader has, the # of countries involved. People always trying to make sure they had the exact #. Certainly not "world reknowned" like other world leaders. Selling him as the humble ordinary man but making sure tons of camera flashes are going off as he steps in and out of his limo.

Posted by: ScoobyDooby ()
Date: June 06, 2011 08:53PM

I saw the warning signs when I first exposed to NSA back in the mid 80s. I was young and impressionable but still recognized that it was a lot of hooey. When I married a member a few years later (SGI sanctioned ceremony and all!) I thought I could convince her that the organization was a cult. Was I wrong! After our annual disagreement over the May contributions it's still very difficult for me to even try to engage her in this discussion - so much for "dialogue". Twenty years of marriage and still no financial windfall for our family despite thousands of dollars of contributions, lol.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 10, 2011 05:38AM

From www.fraughtwithperil.com, Kempon Hokke blog

-----------Beginning of quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You don’t have to go to any temple. You don’t have to bow before any god. And you don’t have to give up on the way you live, like turn vegetarian,” she explains. “There is no conversion and there are no compulsions,” adds B S Das, former ambassador to Bhutan who has been a member of Bharat Soka Gakkai “for a long, long time”. “You can follow any religion and at the same time be a member,” adds Reddi. A practical philosophy which calls a person to draw upon his or her strength is what is attracting most young people. The organisation is open to everybody, barring politicians and those holding sensitive government posts, says Reddi.” — Reddi is General Director of Bharat [India] Soka Gakkai

--------------------End of Quote---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The practice is open to everybody, barring politicians and those holding sensitive government posts? Why, when SGI-Japan is so intertwined with the Komeito Party.

You can follow any religion and still be a member of SGI? I've heard leaders say that, but I also remember that the Japanese ladies who helped me enshrine my Gohonzon were very insistent that I get rid of my little statue of the Virgin Mary -- which had more sentimental than religious value to me. Why get rid of symbols from other religions, if you can follow any other religion and still be an SGI member? Where is the consistency? They will tell people anything to get them to join.

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: June 10, 2011 08:43AM

@tsukimoto

You don't have to bow before any god? What about Mr. Ikeda? The organization of SGI tries to be a god, too. You need to give them money or your life will be a disaster.

You don't have to give up the way you live? Oh, really? I sure did. My whole life became NSA/SGI. All of my friends and social contacts were SGI. All of the things that I did were SGI. The way I lived changed quite a bit.

No compulsions? You are definitely compelled to follow their ways. You need to chant for 1 or 2 hours every day for the rest of your life. You are compelled to give them lots of money. You have to receive "guidance" and follow it. You have to do activities several nights per week. You need to "home visit" whether you are welcome or not. You have to buy and read the publications. Etc.

Posted by: backnforth ()
Date: June 10, 2011 10:17AM

There is a new definition of the Gakkai Spirit!!!

Who can guess what the Gakkai spirit has been all these years? I want to see if I remember right by seeing what you'all think.

Well, the new definition is "The Gakkai spirit of . . . . . . you guessed it . . Oneness of Mentor/Disciple"

Wow, isn't that great how SGI can just randomly change concepts to fit the current agenda?

When are people going to wake up?? What does it take??

But ya know, when you believe in turnover the way the SGI does - turnover of members, turnover of leaders (fewer to recount SGI's history), then so few can really notice the subtle changes as they continue to chart their course toward the next phase, after Ikeda is gone, and he suddenly becomes the next true Buddha.

Will the many mindless members notice then?

Date: June 10, 2011 04:48PM

ScoobyDooby
You know, I used to enjoy reading and ocassionally participating in this forum. I have a very difficult situation at home for which the SGI is at the forefront. Many of the people who have posted here since I joined have given me a great deal of insight into the organization and its destructive ways. They don't appear to be around much anymore. Recently, it seems most of the discussion concerns "how I can continue my practice without the SGI" or "how can we save Nicherin Buddhism from the SGI" with little discussion on the cult of SGI. This makes me uncomfortable participating here.

Anyhow, it's not my point to offend anyone just felt the need to state my concerns. I hope to see a return to what the forum was when it focused on "former cult members and affected families".

Scoob

I was wondering if you are someone who has kept your Gohonzon. If so, is it still enshrined? I am just wondering because I know some people here have kept it up, and perhaps others have returned it. I don't know how long you were in the SGI. I was just curious to see if you are a person who has kept it, or returned it..as I go back and forth on what to do about this.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: June 10, 2011 08:57PM

Findingmywaytoday
ScoobyDooby
You know, I used to enjoy reading and ocassionally participating in this forum. I have a very difficult situation at home for which the SGI is at the forefront. Many of the people who have posted here since I joined have given me a great deal of insight into the organization and its destructive ways. They don't appear to be around much anymore. Recently, it seems most of the discussion concerns "how I can continue my practice without the SGI" or "how can we save Nicherin Buddhism from the SGI" with little discussion on the cult of SGI. This makes me uncomfortable participating here.

Anyhow, it's not my point to offend anyone just felt the need to state my concerns. I hope to see a return to what the forum was when it focused on "former cult members and affected families".

Scoob

I was wondering if you are someone who has kept your Gohonzon. If so, is it still enshrined? I am just wondering because I know some people here have kept it up, and perhaps others have returned it. I don't know how long you were in the SGI. I was just curious to see if you are a person who has kept it, or returned it..as I go back and forth on what to do about this.

If you want to break with the SGI then it should be a clean and complete break. There are 130 Gohonzon and, at least 30 complete [Ten World] Gohonzon inscribed by Nichiren Daishonin that you can download, print and frame or mount on a blank wall scroll. Return your Gohonzon to SGI or respectfully burn it while chanting the Jiga-ge and the Daimoku.

Nichijew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.