"Life is pain... Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Posted by: Splash90 ()
Date: June 04, 2010 10:40PM

I've been studying Byron Katie over the past few weeks, and this morning was thinking about all the people who start cults and/or use mind control on people. Their basic message seems to be: "I have the answer for how to rid your life of pain, and all you need to do is give me control of your life." And then that quote from The Princess Bride popped into my head. It is sooo true, not only regarding selling products, but also selling belief systems. I tend to be very naive and idealistic (to wit: my 15-year cult membership), and even now I tend to think 'hm, that sounds good' first before being skeptical (like I did with BK before finding out she uses mind control). I will now keep that quote at the forefront of my mind!

Spiritual Recovery Resources: [forums.delphiforums.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2010 10:46PM by Splash90.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Life is pain... Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Posted by: nadine ()
Date: December 16, 2010 07:47AM

Hi Splash90,
I have just been perusing some of the topics on the forum and came across yours. I just wanted to tell you not to beat yourself up over being in a cult, i.e " naive and idealistic". In the first place, you were not naive, you were cruelly tricked, therefore the fault was not yours, but the cruel sociopath who coerced you. The vast majority of cult recruited are highly intelligent, thoughtful and decent people. Secondly, being idealistic is NOT a fault. It is not a fault to want to help make the world a better place in which to live. Unfortunately, there are those that prey very cleverly (and I do not use that word admiringly) on good people. The damage caused by that "cleverness" can be, and often is, devastating.
I wish you all the very best for your recovery and future happiness.
Regards,
Nadine.

Re: "Life is pain... Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Posted by: Splash90 ()
Date: December 16, 2010 11:22AM

Thanks Nadine... I'm proud of being idealistic (my Myers-Briggs type is "Idealist"!) but not so much of being naive, i.e. easily tricked. I know cults frequently get people who are NOT easily tricked and their tactics can work on anyone. But for me personally (just speaking for myself, not EVERY ex-cult member), I know that I'm too ready to believe everything I hear and it's something I like to keep reminding myself of, so I can try as much as possible to avoid being scammed. And cults are one type of scam. How much my naivete and idealism contributed to their success is up for debate, and I do think it made it easier for them to snag me, but I don't 'blame' myself. They use people's GOOD qualities against them! I guess that post did sound like I was saying those characteristics brought about my membership, but that's not really how I look at it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 11:29AM by Splash90.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.