Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: October 31, 2004 10:10AM

I just saw the old film "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" (1956).
Great old film.

It made me think of all these cults and LGATS.
Your friends and loved ones get into them, and then they "change".
They look the same on the outside, but their thoughts, feelings and behaviors are different.
They become like a Group Mind, they are highly organized, and they want to "convert" you and everyone else, like Landmark.
They can be somewhat robotic, like Eckhart Tolle.
They believe they are doing the right thing.

In the film, they want to ESCAPE PAINFUL HUMAN EMOTIONS.
They want to end the human fallibilities.
This is just like these "enlightenment" groups.

If you get a chance to see that old film, watch it. Its a great piece of work, and i think part of the writing is related to cults, but also to mental illness, delusions and paranoia.
But it fits well with all these cults and groups. They are like some kind of replicating virus, taking over people's minds and life.
Now i know why i have been so interested in this subject for so many years.

Coz

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: November 01, 2004 04:10AM

I saw an interview with Philip Kaufman, the director of the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), and he stated part of the movie was related to things like "est" and "finding yourself" that were so popular at the time.

The idea seems to be that your spouse goes off, and get "infected" with this invisible thing, and "changes" into a different person.
They look like the same person, but they are DIFFERENT.
He has people saying, "that is not my wife".
The people become robotic, and obsessed with converting everyone they meet. Of course, after the spouse is "converted" then everything is ok again.

There is a great scene where one husband totally changes, and starts going to late night meetings with these new people, who pick him up in a group in a car, etc. His wife is freaking out, as she doesn't know what is going on.
That part really seemed like what has happened to people dating someone in Landmark, or other culty groups like that.

We have seen on this very forum, the distress felt by those who's spouse or family member gets involved in LGAT's or cults.

I find it an interesting and useful metaphor.
But it my view, its not a biological virus, but a psychological virus that is taking people over.
In a sense, they are being taken over not by genes from outer space, but rather by MEMES created by various Gurus.

Invasion of the Mind Snatchers.
But its not a movie, its happening all day everyday, all over the world, and it seems to me its accelerating.

Coz

Posted by: glam ()
Date: November 03, 2004 02:01AM

Sounds like I need to rent/buy this movie. I've never seen it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.