Distrust in Christianity
Posted by: Warfrog ()
Date: April 28, 2009 12:32PM

Greetings everybody,

I once attended a supposedly Christian private school and certain experiences I have had during my time there have caused me to eye Christianity with suspicion. I know that the group that abused me psychologically was a cult and I also know that not ALL Christian groups are cults however I still seem subconsciously repelled, fearful and suspicious of them. How do I shake these irrational feelings?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Distrust in Christianity
Posted by: onthestreet ()
Date: May 03, 2009 03:21AM

Hey, even GOD distrusts "Christianity".

Posted by: ExLand ()
Date: May 08, 2009 07:58PM

Warfrog
Greetings everybody,

I once attended a supposedly Christian private school and certain experiences I have had during my time there have caused me to eye Christianity with suspicion. I know that the group that abused me psychologically was a cult and I also know that not ALL Christian groups are cults however I still seem subconsciously repelled, fearful and suspicious of them. How do I shake these irrational feelings?

Hi Warfrog

My experience is slightly different to yours but none the less I hope what I have to say helps you a bit. I attended the cult that is landmark forum. I had a psychotic breakdown. During my breakdown I had conversations with God. I am a Christian.

Afterwards for about two months I struggled with trusting God after what he had allowed to happen to me. I blamed God for letting me get into this awful situation. I was schizophrenic for the entire two months- which was like a living hell, with three voices in my head talking to each other. I went to visit my minister, and he helped me to understand that God has given us the power of our own free will, he will try to protect us as much as he can but, at the end of the day we are responsible for everything that we do in our lives. Later on I happened across some advice about reading Pauls letter to the Galatians from the Bible. I found a good study group online with a good explanation of the book of Galatians. I can't find the exact one now but, you could use a search engine to find out more.

The most important thing in my opinion is to know that God loves you no matter what. His love is truly unconditional. Although we must always remember that forgiveness does not mean a licence to commit sin. Treat others as you would have them treat you.

I really hope this helps.

Good luck and keep well
Exland

Posted by: justHim ()
Date: May 11, 2009 09:23AM

Warfrog,
I don't know if you will receive this message as you posted it so long ago. I have been a believer in the salvation gained for me through Jesus Christ for about 26 years and because of my experience and abuse at the hands of "spiritual leaders" I too have struggled with the same questions. I would encourage you that those feelings are not irrational but given by God to guide you into truth. In my own journey, I have come to the conclusion that much of what is presented as "Christianity" today is nothing like what Jesus intended it to be, yet, that does not negate what He did on the cross for me. I trust Him and not men for all men are prone to selfishness and sin [I don't care who you are or claim to be, this is true!] Because of this truth, I will never again put all of my confidence in people or an organization. I will put all of my confidence in Jesus who is my friend, counselor, comfort and strength. He alone has stood the test of faithfulness time after time and He alone has died for me. No one else can ever make that claim of love, loyalty and faithfulness. So I would say, "Do not put your faith in organized religion" "Do put your faith in God and trust that He will teach you, lead you and help you along the way". Remember, all people are weak, fallen and in the process of being redeemed. A healthy person will admit this and work with you to keep the relationship. An unhealthy person will become defensive, argumentative even hostile or retaliative when their fault is pointed out and demand you change to maintain the relationship. If anyone ever wants you to go against what you believe to be right, pray, ask God and if you are sure you are right, run away fast! Here is a helpful link to a site that helps you identify harmful Church leaders, once you learn to discern them, you will have no fear of being deceived again.

[www.dougmurren.com]

Hope this helps!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.