Repost- TheravadaGuy and SGI Girl Uh Oh!
Posted by: TheravadaGuy ()
Date: April 28, 2009 08:53AM

Sorry about the re post, I am new to this forum. This is where I meant to put it.
Hello,
This is my first post. I have been practicing Theravada for 4 years now. I do both sitting and walking meditation daily. I strive to be mindful always. So when I met a lovely woman who said she was a Buddhist thought this could be a great relationship. As I got to know her though she said she couldn't date me because I practiced Theravada. I had never heard of such a thing from any Buddhist (religious prejudice). I then found out that she was SGI. I went to a concert at their New York City center and I couldn't believe how different it was from where I practice. People talking about their greed and envy as if it were a good thing. Totally the opposite of what I practice. I then did some research online and to my surprise on the bottom of the Google page (for suggested alternate searches) was SGI cult. That is how I found this site. So after doing more research on SGI, both on what they had to say and from the many people who had negative things to say about it this is my opinion. I do not think SGI is Buddhism- it ignores so much of what Buddha taught. Buddha was enlightened by meditating, not by chanting. Buddha gave up a life of luxury to find an end to suffering, not to chant for greed and possessions he chose to gave up. If they are going to follow what Nichiren taught call it Nichirism. Who was Nichiren to say what really is Buddhism? Who was he to say that other forms of Buddhism are inferior? He is to Buddhism what David Koresh and Jim Jones are to Catholicism- a self serving, bastardization, half truth. And a half truth is a full lie. Back to the ex girl friend. When I told her that her reasons for leaving me were religious prejudice, She got very excited and asked to explain herself. She said she was brought up this way, that that is what SGI taught her. In doing my research I have found this to be true- SGI teaches prejudice. Yet they claim to be for world peace. Sounds kind of like the Nazis. I asked her if she was brought up in Hitler youth would it be alright to hate Jews. She had no response.
Now is what I wrote attachment? I don't think so. I think I am stating how things really are, not wishing they are different. If you think I am wrong please post a reply.
Metta to ALL,
Theravada Guy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repost- TheravadaGuy and SGI Girl Uh Oh!
Posted by: beststarsign ()
Date: May 02, 2009 03:06PM

Hi

I think you need to revisit History of Buddhism again. As a starting point, I suggest you first find out what Buddha did immidiately after Leaving home.I mean what kind of practice? The Meditation came much later.

Also suggest you read the Lotus sutra which Buddha taught in the last 8 years of his Life.He also asked people to discard the earlier teachings as they were provisional and he used them merely to bringup the Understanding of the people so that they can understand the Lotus sutra.Lotus Sutra is a revolutinary teaching by many standards. pls study it and then pass Judgement.You write "Buddha was enlightened by Medidation". In Lotus Sutra Buddha states that he attained Enlightenment long back , countless kalpas ago.Nichiren stated other forms of buddhism are inferior because Shakyamuni Buddha himself stated that they should be discarded as they were of their Provisional in Nature .

Nichiren's Buddhism builds on the Lotus Sutra and your understanding of that is very shallow as of now.However SGI doesnt teaches people not to date others if they practice any other religion. I am in India and had been with the SGI for 10 years and I havent heard anything like it.

We have many members whose spouses practice other religions.I have never come across a scenario when Spouses are treated in a negative way by SGI.So at least that's not an SGI guideline in all countries.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 02, 2009 09:33PM

beststarsign:

Do you think there is anything wrong with SGI?

What would you change and/or improve?

Is there anything you have read here that raises concerns about SGI and its behavior?

Do you think that Daisaku Ikeda makes mistakes?

What mistakes do you think he has made?

It seems like you are attempting to shift blame for SGI's bad behavior onto those that have been somehow hurt by the organization.

SGI does have a deeply troubled history of complaints and bad press.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: May 03, 2009 09:03AM

beststarsign
Also suggest you read the Lotus sutra which Buddha taught in the last 8 years of his Life.He also asked people to discard the earlier teachings as they were provisional and he used them merely to bringup the Understanding of the people so that they can understand the Lotus sutra.Lotus Sutra is a revolutinary teaching by many standards. pls study it and then pass Judgement.You write "Buddha was enlightened by Medidation". In Lotus Sutra Buddha states that he attained Enlightenment long back , countless kalpas ago.Nichiren stated other forms of buddhism are inferior because Shakyamuni Buddha himself stated that they should be discarded as they were of their Provisional in Nature .

Nichiren's Buddhism builds on the Lotus Sutra and your understanding of that is very shallow as of now.However SGI doesnt teaches people not to date others if they practice any other religion. I am in India and had been with the SGI for 10 years and I havent heard anything like it.

We have many members whose spouses practice other religions.I have never come across a scenario when Spouses are treated in a negative way by SGI.So at least that's not an SGI guideline in all countries.

I agree with Beststarsign on the first paragraph -- that is consistent with what I've studied. Not that the earlier teachings were bad -- they were correct for the time in which they were taught. Buddha knew that when he first began to teach, people were not ready for the Lotus Sutra -- the provisional teachings were to prepare them to understand the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren Buddhism teaches that once you can understand the Lotus Sutra, you no longer need the provisional teachings.

As for how SGI treats members of other Buddhist sects -- well, I have seen prejudice in SGI-USA; perhaps SGI-India is more enlightened. I have heard of two cases where SGI-USA members are married to Nichiren Shu members -- and SGI will not allow either SGI member to have meetings at their house. In neither case was the Nichiren Shu member trying to convert SGI members to Nichiren Shu. I know of an SGI member who was kicked out of SGI because she had Nichiren Shu friends and attended a Nichiren Shu retreat with them.

Nichiren Shoshu and the Soka Gakkai both teach that other sects of Buddhism are heretical. Realistically, how comfortable can a member of another Buddhist sect feel, dating or married to a devout Nichiren Shoshu or SGI member? It would be like a born-again Christian being involved with someone who is not Christian. ("I love you but you're a heretic.")

Posted by: metta ()
Date: December 11, 2014 01:40AM

It is very interesting that I came across this thread.

I Googled on "theravada vs SGI" and found the title

"Theravada Guy and SGI Girl Uh Oh!".

I'm into Theravada meditation. A few months ago I met a woman through a college friend's FB page. She is very much into SGI.

You can see why I found the thread interesting.

We have met a few times over the months, there is some chemistry, at least for me. I've already seen red flags with her being a workaholic so the rest of my concerns are probably moot.

She hasn't pushed anything on me, though I have noticed that she is in a lot of Facebook pictures with guys she just met,having taken them to SGI meetings.

Reading this site and others it looks like SGI did start off like a cult, but appears to have moved away from that.

My assesment is that if I keep my hand on my wallet if ever end up at SGI events I should be okay.

In genuine Buddhadamma, desire generates suffering
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 11, 2014 09:42AM

The Dhamma is not supposed to be an ATM for gratifying
desires.

Sakamuni Buddha taught that ritual and superstition could
not free people from suffering. He also taught against the
caste system -- you were not good because you were born from
the right parents, you were good by the quality of your actions.

So, by proper Buddhist teaching there is no foundation to
being born a 'fortune baby' -- catagory within SGI discussed
here.

[forum.culteducation.com]

[forum.culteducation.com]

The Clearing: April 2011

eaintree.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html
Apr 1, 2011 - ... to Nicherin Shoshu of America, later known as Sokka Gakkai International. ... in SGI to refer to those born into the practice as "fortune babies".

The Dhamma is for recognizing, investigating and freeing ourselves
from the misery of craving.

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

The SGI is a deviant sect from Nichiren, a sect that developed in Japan in the 13th century.

By contrast, in a Japanese Mahayana tradition, Dogen Zenji warned against dharma practice
for the sake of attaining any goal -- what he called 'gaining mind'.

[www.google.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.