questions about long-time ET members
Posted by: grace77 ()
Date: December 20, 2008 11:10PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum (obviously), but I was one of the original members of the Indiana group from early 70s. I lived in New Castle, IN and I worshipped in the home of the Berfangers in New Castle IN (led by a "Sister June" who lived in the same neighborhood), and in a house in Muncie near the Ball State University campus where I heard both Hobart Freeman and Charles Meade speak. I also remember hearing Freeman speak at another house in New Castle, but I don't remember where. I just remember meeting in a very large basement. I remember the "trials and tests" controversy that split the groups in two, and I agreed with Bro. Meade's reasoning that God does not bring trials and tests on His people, so I went with Bro. Meade's group. After a while we met regularly in the Meade's detached garage in Daleville, IN. I lost contact with everyone in the Berfangers' group after a while.

My closest friends at the time were Pete and Linda Woods, who also lived in New Castle. I joined the Berfangers group in 1970, where Pete and Linda both attended. I was 14. I was married 4 years later, which was about the same time Pete and Linda got married. Linda and I got together regularly, and after our children were born they played together. Linda's 2 sons were born at home, delivered by Pete.

I also remember Scott and Valerie, but I don't know their last name. Scott was befriended by the Woods after knocking on their door one day to sell books. He was attracted to Valerie, who I think was visiting with the Cookes from Sioux Falls. They married a few months later, after her parents came to the house and tried to take her back. I remember there was some fear of her being kidnapped and de-programmed. Anyway, they married and had many children; all of them home births.

However, I had married outside the group and my husband never accepted any of it which gradually made it difficult for me to attend meetings regularly. I continued to listen to Bro. Meade's tapes, though, and kept in frequent contact with the Meades and Pete and Linda. I met Gary and Joni Cooke when they came to visit, and I remember hearing about Libby's premature birth and death. I was amazed at the growth of the end-time movement, and my tape library was augmented with tapes from the overcomers meetings in Billings as well as Sioux Falls.

Eventually the faith healing issue ended my contact with the Meades as well as Pete and Linda. My youngest child developed a rare tumor when she was a baby. I was encouraged to pray for her healing, which I did, but my husband and I also sought medical treatment, so she went through chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation for a year. I had regular contact with Linda and the Meades during my daugher's illness, and I was encouraged to stop seeing the doctors and rely on my faith. I pointed out that 1) my husband would not agree with this, and 2) since we had already sought medical treatment the state would take custody of her to make sure she got treatment. This had already happened to another child at the hospital whose parents were Christian Scientist.

Ironically the doctors stopped treatment a year later. The Meades gave me an anointed handkerchief and my daughter wore it for the last 2 weeks of her life. My faith never wavered - she was going to be healed. The night Katie died I was rocking her, thanking God and praising Him for healing her. Interestingly, she kept pointing to something in the room, saying "Jesus." She slept soundly that night but when I went to check on her in the morning she had just taken her last breath.

Soon afterward Linda brought something to me that I had left at her house, and that was my last contact with the group. I had been shunned.

During my daugher's illness Linda mentioned that the Meades were looking at property in Gainesville Florida and were planning to move. She also said she and Pete were thinking about moving as well, but I don't know when they moved.

Does anyone know what happened to the Woods and Scott and Valerie? Also, was Gary Cooke still in the group when he died? What about the Carreders and the other members of the Sioux Falls group that have been 'sidelined' (from a previous forum posting)?

Sorry for the long post, but it was rather cathartic. I also hopes it helps a bit for those who want to know about the early days. Like Refugee, I also believe that God was working in the early years, and I also felt the anointing during the meetings. Money was not an issue then, although we were encouraged to tithe. The Meades lived in a very modest home. And none of us was brainwashed. We were at an impressionable age and we were looking for spiritual truth we hadn't yet found. I had been to many churches and was turned off by their politics and their spiritual deadness. The end-time group at the Meades was on fire; a lot like the early church must have been. It is sad to see what they have become, although I truly believe there are some very good, sincere people there who truly love God and believe they are following the truth. I truly pray that God opens their eyes and brings them to the truth.

God's blessings on you all.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.