Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
LDS religion, a cult or not a cult?
Posted by: JOHNBEBEACH64 ()
Date: January 08, 2005 04:22PM

Mustang Sally
Does anyone out there that knows about the LDS religion, better known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believe that it is a cult? I have been researching different web sites, and have not been able to come convince myself that it is not one.
The LDS Church has a massive amount of members where I live in Southern Idaho, but in researching I have found that most members of this church live in the North Western United States.
I do know that in the Southern Bible belt of the US that the church is not as prominate, and that it is very hard to find followers down there. Do you believe that there is a reason for this. It is very hard to find information on this churches " secret" religious observances, because of the fact that they make everyone take a blood oath to never tell even when they are excommunicated from the church. To me this seems like a cult, but I can not be sure, because everyone that I interview that is LDS will not speak of anything that they believe is private and spiritual. Can you give me any insite into this religion, or any web site where I may find the answers that I seek.
Thanks,
Mustang Sally
i really believe it's a cult i 've known about them for quite a while. i'm in new zealand and theres many people in it i think

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jonny2mad ()
Date: June 05, 2005 01:39AM

Im a ex morman I joined when I was 7-8 left when I was in my early twentys, I dont think Ive really gotten over being a morman and Im 40 now .
but I dont really hold that much bad feeling towards the church , no one stopped me leaving and all the mormans Ive met since I left just seem a bit sad that Im on to them what is the wrong path .

with me I have a feeling of disapointment that It proved to be false , also a slight feeling of disapointment in myself which is illogical because I know I made the right choice in leaving.

it is I think bordering on a cult and if you had a really crazy prophet it could be very dangerous because of the power he has .

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ()
Date: June 02, 2006 06:41AM

Mustang Sally
The church as whole today is borderline as a cult. but the missionary program is complete cult. As a missionary all you do is work for the church, you are watched 24/7, told how to spend every minute of your time, not allowed to read books or newspapers, watch TV or listen to music, phone friends or family. You are exposed to massive and constant guilt trips ,nothing you do is ever enough etc. All this while giving up 2 years of your youth and all of your savings.

Posted by: jewels36305 ()
Date: June 02, 2006 07:40AM

Demon of Kolob,

You got that exactly right. It's kind of sad when you think about it. The guilt those boys are made to feel is so great and so unnecessary.

It's funny because I was just talking to someone and said some of those exact things about the missionaries.

Anyway...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.