Anyone has experience with Odyssey Study Group?
Posted by: jayseal ()
Date: March 09, 2004 02:23AM

A close friend of mine is involved with Sharon Gans group. He has become very distant and disconnected in the last two years. I don't know how to help him see that he's being manipulated and taken advantage of.

I would appreciate any help or suggestion.

Thanks,
Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dar3463 ()
Date: November 29, 2004 01:43PM

I was a student/victim of Sharon Gans, Fred Mindel, Minerva Taylor & Robert Klein from 1987 - November 18, 1998. I was recruited by my then girlfriend with the standard Gans' approach. JH, who went on to become my fiancée, wife, mother of my two kids and finally ex-wife, brought me in to one of two or three Gans groups meeting in downtown Manhattan - Broadway near Leonard. I was (and am) a talented, energetic & artistic guy; and a master carpenter. I spent 11 years working many, many long nights & weekends on Gans’ many "work/school" projects including the following:
Class spaces - Two lofts on Broadway with separate spaces for "higher & lower classes"
Christmas Party - Annual all night booze-athon complete with theatrical sets, costumes & performances prepared for months in advance
Retreats - Ranch near Kalispell, Montana: Hunting Lodge in Croton Falls, Westchester, NY & a series of houses purchased, renovated (by students who paid Gans hundreds @ month)& then sold by ???? These deals culminated in Pawling NY with Hudson Valley Artists Foundation, funded in part a student's inheritance. This site, around 20 acres in Dutchess County, was developed in 1998. I was the on site supervisor, my day job, and "privileged older student/volunteer leader” for 24 hr days every weekend. I suffered what I now know to be a complete breakdown & was kicked out of my home by my now ex-wife, thrown off the job & expelled from the cult.
I must thank Gans at this point for telling me to return to AA, which has saved my life & restored me to sanity. Time, healing in AA, the love & support of my wonderful (new & improved 2nd) wife & a meeting with another former 4th Way'er have all led me to here & now. I can now say that I was a gullible, manipulated, damaged member of a very exploitive cult that claims to be a school of inner development for the growth of one's soul. The only thing growing here is her real estate portfolio & safe deposit box.
I would love to hear from any former or current "students of the Work"

Posted by: finnster ()
Date: December 03, 2004 03:57AM

I was a student of Sharon Gans/Robert Klein cult (known as OSG or Odyssey Study Group) for about 4 years in Boston. The Boston group was primarily lead by Robert Klein and other "teachers". We would also have visiting "teachers" from NYC such as Fred Mindel, Cynthia May (Taylor Hodson Temp Agency - as Sharon Gans silent partner of the firm) and others. They also have a branch in Denmark. This cult uses sophisticated methods to recruit people (I know because I used to do recruiting) and they are very very secretive about anything and everything about the so called "school".

Our group was called the "younger class" and I believe it was established probably about 6-7 years ago. Similarly I would spent many long nights & weekends on "work/school" projects related to "class-outside-of-class" events which also included a "Christmas Party" at the end of each year. Not to mention working on 5-week aims along with paying for everything above and beyond so called "tuition". I consider myself somewhat lucky, because I seldom had direct contact with Sharon Gans (only when she appeared in our classes 1-2 times a year). The class was primarily taught and controlled by Robert Klein. He is exceptionally good at reading people and telling them what they need. I would even go as far as calling him "charismatic".

This cult has only one agenda: to expand Sharon Gan's wealth.

Posted by: dar3463 ()
Date: December 17, 2004 12:15PM

Finnster-
The JH refered to in my previous post (my ex-wife) was a founding partner of Taylor-Hodson. She and Minerva Taylor started this business in MT's Waterside Plaza apartment; later moved to an office (renovated by me and others, of course) on Waterside street level.
Drop me an email if you wish. I am now in contact with a few former students/"sheared sheep"

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 17, 2004 10:29PM

These are general recommendations--like items of clothing in a store. They dont directly describe your former group but try them on as you would try out clothing in a store and see if any of this 'fits'

1) Prophetic Charisma by Len Oakes He surveyed 20 charismatic leaders and described their psychology. They all had a remarkable similar inner landscape and surprisingly similar life trajectories. Reading this can help de-mystify the lingering influence of such leaders.

(summary here)

[www.sustainedaction.org]

2) [i:ede124357b]Sorcerer's Apprentice[/i:ede124357b] by Amy Wallace. Informative description of being a in a long term, secretive, 'group that wasnt a group.' Especially informative in descriptions of the way inner circle members recruited new members--done by targeting those who remained interested despite being treated to displays of rude, even abusive behavior by inner circle members doing outreach via readings at bookstores or workshops. Atmosphere at the workshops is also described.

Posted by: finnster ()
Date: December 18, 2004 03:28AM

Corboy,

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I've already picked up a copy of "Prophetic Charisma" by Len Oakes. As you mentioned, it is a terrific study on unmasking the nature of such cult leaders (I am half way through).

I'll make sure to check out Amy Wallace's book as well...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.