Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Subud
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 11, 2012 11:40PM

It is interesting and perhaps mere coincidence that J Bennett was an expert on coal mining.

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EzF2iBKl25QJ:[www.subudvoice.net]

This is the html version of the file [www.subudvoice.net].
Google automatically generates html versions of documents as we crawl the web.
Page 1

®In thisissueBapak's Thumb:Mansur Geiger... P1KGC:Joint Venture with Freeport... P5YUM:In Aceh and Kalimantan... P5SESIFinancial Services Company... P9Wedding in Bangladesh... P10Favourite Photo:World in a Puddle... P11Editorial:Month of the Ancestors... P12Obituary:Mariani Joseph de Saram... P13Stranger Things HaveHappened:Subud Sri Lanka... P14Subud Voice on Ipad... P16Borneo ProductionsInternational... P17Bradford Moves on... P17Book Review:My Subud Life... P17Gathering in Sydney 2012...P18Information about Subud…P19Translator needed:Ruslan Moore, Al Baz... P19Notices... P19Advertisements…P20/21SUBUD VOICE ONLINECONTACT DETAILS:editor@subudvoice.netSUBUDVOICEO N L I N EBapak’s ThumbPART 1 OF MY KALIMANTAN ADVENTUREAn

Interview with Mansur Geiger by Harris Smart who writes....At last, the story can be told.It's been a real cliffhanger, the story of Subud's mineral explorationin Kalimantan.

A real race to the wire between hero and zero.Fortunately, hero seems to have got there first.And nobody knows the story better than Mansur Geiger. He hashung in there for 30 years, through thick and thin, through no moneyand little money, through hope and disappointment. It is not going toofar to quote St Paul: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished therace, I have kept the faith."But now with the signing of a deal with Freeport, one of the biggestmining companies in the world, with the most profitable copper minein the world, the future of our mineral exploration in Kalimantan seemsassured and now the story can be told...

Mansur Geiger was born and grew up in Perth, the capital of Western Australia, and the clear-ing house for Australia's mineral resource wealth. His only sister, Halimah, is also in Subud, as ishis mother.The name "Geiger" is of German origin and a relative has tracedthe family back to an area in northern Germany famous for its gem-stones. The family has been in Australia for several generations, firstas winemakers in Victoria, and then they moved to Western Australia."But we are a real mixture,” Mansur told me. "There's Spanish andEnglish – even an English Lord – in there somewhere.”►SUBUD VOICE ON KINDLEYou can read Subud Voice onyour Kindle. Just downloadthe pdf to your computer, thenacross to your Kindle.Bapak went to Kalimantanin 1980, opening the wayfor Subud's involvement.Mansur Geiger.Number 8September 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 2

SUBUD VOICEPAGE 2SEP 2011At the age of 17, Mansur was already working in the explorationindustry in Western Australia. T

hen he met an American sailor (name)who introduced him to Subud.

Mansur was already a ‘seeker’, hadlooked into Hinduism and all kinds of things – this was the era of HareKrishna etc – but as soon as he heard about Subud, he knew it was thething he had been looking for, and he was opened in Perth in 1970.In 1971 he went to Cilandak. "Partly it was motivated by a wish toget away from the youth drug culture that prevailed at that time. I wasa surfer and the drugs were all around me."He spent a year traveling in Indonesia, visiting Bali and Sumatra,but then settled in Wisma Subud. He joined with Subud member,Irwan Holmes, to market Indonesian opals. But these opals, while very beautiful, tended to be unstable and broke down.This led to a year back in Australia working with the government’s scientific research outfit CSIRO. He lived inSydney and worked with the CSIRO investigating ways the Indonesian opals might be stabilized, related to a project thatthe CSIRO then had, to produce artificial opals.Back to Indonesia he began a 20-year partnership with Viviana Bulow-Huber, the outstanding designer in gold andsilver who worked with George Jensen. They made elegant but affordable jewellry using Viviana's designs combiningsilver with local materials like seashells.Then, in 1980, came the turning point. Bapak visited Kalimantan andsoon after his return, a company was set up to begin exploring for gold andcopper in Kalimantan.Harris:

When did the word “Kalimantan” first enter your conscious-ness?Mansur: In 1980. Bapak went there and said, “Now is the time”.

Andthen, the following year Bapak organized a company and told us to gear upand get organized and get the mining concessions.Harris: And you made a trip then, didn’t you?Mansur: The first trip was in ‘81.

The year after Bapak first went. I wentwith Asikin and Pak Haryono. It happened fairly quickly and we started thegreat adventure. We had no idea what we were getting into. We were com-pletely unprepared, just took a bag of rice. We got stuck at various placesbecause the river was too high and the rapids were impassable.Harris: Which river was that?

Mansur: The Kahayan. We had to wait I think five days in Maharoi, thelast village because we could go no further. All we had was an old Americanmilitary map that had written all across the center of Borneo, “elevations unknown”. We struck horrendous rapids thattook us five days to go through.Harris: That was above Maharoi?Mansur: Yeah, above Maharoi. And then Asikin and Pak Haryono looked at me and said, “Well, we've come here andnow it’s up to you to find the gold, bye!”I stayed with this old Dayak guy Pak Sumbin. He was actually 62 at the time because he’s 92 now And I usually visithim and he still remembers better than I do every bit of that first journey together. He’s still very bright and alive andhe’s come into Subud.Harris: The Dayaks have incredible physical endurance, don’t they?Mansur: Oh, unbelievable, I mean he was 62. For 20 years he was workingwith us, going the same places which were very extreme. He was still activelyclimbing mountains at 75.

Harris:And had Bapak already put his thumb on the map when you made thatfirst trip?Mansur: There were two generations of Bapak's thumb because he put histhumb initially on a map which had a scale of one to a million. He put his thumbon the map and said, “There!” So, we made the first little concessions in there andthat was the basis of making that first trip. I made preliminary investigations ofeach of the main rivers and I think there were 33 and I found gold in 31 of them.So it was a very confusing and undefined outcome because there was gold ►‘’He put histhumb on themap and said,“There!”Bapak’s thumb.Beruang Kanan mining base camp.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 3
everywhere. And that’s largely the result of millions of years of extreme erosion andre-deposition spread throughout Central Kalimantan.

You find gold everywhere that'sbeen washed down from the original mountains.We estimate that the surface of Kalimantan has been eroded about one kilometer.It was originally formed about 33 million years ago when it was a very active vol-canic place, but now it’s probably the only place that’s inactive in Indonesia.Harris: And the second time Bapak put his thumb on the map?

Mansur: We showed him a map that we’d made, a big scale map, and he put his thumb right up at the head of theKatingan River, completely unknown country, it took us months to get in there by crossing over two different mountainranges.Harris: You had to drag the canoes up one side and down the other side?Mansur: At first we dragged the canoes up and over, but on the second range, we just made boats on the other side.This was with old Matthew Mayberry.

Those were the adventur-ous days with Matthew. And when we came back, we had a self-made map that was based on some work the Japanese had done,and Bapak saw this map which rather than one to a million scalewas about one to a hundred thousand and he said, “Well that’swhere you should live.”

And that was a place called(Indecipherable).Bapak said, “So you guys still live out of canoes and in tents,always on the move. You know that’s noway to go, that’s not looking after your-self the way you need to.”

Bapak wasreally concerned about our well-beingand he designed a camp. He did a littledrawing and plan. “There’s a room foryou, Mansur, it should be at least four byfour and there’s the place for your bed.”Through all of those years, Bapak wasalways mainly concerned about ourhuman welfare and safety.I once nearly died from diving in a river.

I got carbon monox-ide poisoning and when I told Bapak about that he said, “Ooh,that’s a very big lesson for us all. You need to be more careful.”

Harris: So, the thumb indicated the base camp but presum-ably that’s near where the minerals were to be found?Mansur: In later years we actually got to the place. Now it'scalled Mansur. And it's about 10 kilometers from something elsewe call Baroi both of which have prospects of becoming a bigdeposit. So, it makes sense to be about 10 kilometers away so you don’t hear the boom, boom and get all the noise anddust and stuff.Harris: And there’s a pinnacle you named Bapak's thumb?Mansur: Yes it's a volcanic plug. We made two attempts to get to the place Bapak had indicated and it just didn’twork.

Until finally I got there one day and it was late afternoon, a beautiful afternoon, and we came around the river andthere it was, standing up right in front of me 600 meters tall, and it really looked like someone standing there.This is where Bapak told us we should live. It is a very beautiful mountain complex, it’s very high, and has a beauti-ful view and a nice temperature.Harris: I know that throughout the last 30 years you have had to face many hardships on every level from living onbamboo shoots in the jungle through financial uncertainty and so on. And often there was real life-threatening danger, was-n’t there, from snakes, for example?

Mansur: I had a lot of snake experiences. There are lots of snakes inthe deep heart of Borneo. In fact, the only really dangerous thing there,other than some pretty nasty scorpions, which don’t kill you – and cen-tipedes, all the other animals are benign. But there's quite a variety of verypoisonous snakes. There are a lot of non-poisonous snakes too. ►‘SUBUD VOICEPAGE 3 SEP 2011’There were 33rivers and Ifound gold in31 of them.‘’Bapak was alwaysconcerned aboutour welfareTop: Jungle team. Right:Pak Mat.Bottom: Navigating the rapids.
Page 4
Harris: You told me once that you were in a canoe on a river and a python suddenlystuck up its head and looked straight at you specifically with obvious evil intent – it real-ly fixed its eye on you – and its head was as big as a cow’s head.

Mansur: Wow. I must have been drunk when I told you that. A cow’s head?Harris:Yeah. I remember that phrase. You said, “Its head was as big as a cow’s head.”Mansur: Oh, that must have been one of those wonderful Dayak exaggerations.Harris: Oh, was it?Mansur: They would always love to take the piss out of you.

Harris: I see.Mansur: So they probably heard me starting to exaggerate my story and then they alldeveloped it. “Oh yeah. Its head was as big as a cow’s head.” Probably it started off as big as a goat’s head and thenbecame a cow’s head. I probably said, “It had a head like a goat”, and they said, “Oh, that’s not big enough.” You knowthey’re great humorists.One time we were walking along a little river that had flooded and I saw some really interesting rocks on the otherbank. So I said, “Well, no one needs to come, I'll just swim over.” I mean we used to live half-naked, wet all the timeand it was raining, you're already wet, so it doesn’t matter.And so I swam over and I was banging away at these exciting looking rocks. And suddenly these guys started throw-ing rocks at me. I thought “Gee, what's going on? It's like the troops are in revolution or something.” So they're point-ing up and I looked up and this python is up on the bank, just two meters above me, and it was coiling up and anchor-ing itself to a tree, ready to strike.And I looked at it eye to eye and it coiled up and up and then finally flung itself at me and there I was holding up mylittle geological hammer like a cross as if to say, “No! No!”And I don’t know what exactly happened but I managed to step to one side, and it came right over my shoulder. Andit just kept coming and coming and coming and then disappeared into this muddy water. Everyone tried to catch it but itjust disappeared. It must have been seven meters long.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 11, 2012 11:42PM

Same URL as above

Part two

In Part 2 of this series Mansur tells of an encounter with a king cobra and talks about the nature and quality of theDayaks who worked with him.SUBUD VOICEPAGE 4 SEP 2011Python. "It came right overmy shoulder."◆PASSWORDS ARE NOTFOR PASSING ONWe beg you not to pass on your password toanyone else. In December last year we werefaced with closing down Subud Voice becauseour financial viability was undermined by,amongst other things, people passing on theirpasswords to non-subscribers. We had about200 online subscribers and about 3000 down-loads of the magazine each month.

So if youwant the Voice to survive tell your friends tosubscribe, but don't give them your password orsend them the .pdf.Subscription to Subud Voice entitles you toTWO(2) downloads of the magazine eachmonthNOT UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS.So we advise you to download it immediatelyonto your computer.Don’t hesitate!Don’t hesitate to tell your friends if you thoughtthis issue of Subud Voice was worth subscribingtoo. (Would you want them to miss out on allthis!)Tell them how easy it is to subscribe now bygoing to www.subudvoice.net, and clicking onthe SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS button on theleft hand side of the home page.Pay by credit card or Paypal account.AUD$50 for one year (12 monthly issues)(Equivalent to US$54, British pound 33, Euro37. Exchange rates at time of writing)www.subudvoice.net......SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONSwww.subudvoice.net......SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS
Page 5
KGC joint venture with FreeportAs announced on April 19, 2011, Kalimantan Gold Corporation Limited (the "Company") entered into a joint ventureagreement with a wholly owned subsidiary of Freeport-McMoRan Exploration Corporation in relation to the Company'sKSK Contract of Work copper project in Kalimantan, Indonesia.The Company is operator and Freeport is funding the KSK joint venture.Extensive preparations are now complete to commence drilling once the necessary forestry permits are issued.The Company has submitted all the required documentation to apply for these permits which are expected to beissued shortly.The Company intends to begin the program with shallow and deep drilling at Beruang. Field operations and mobiliza-tion of drill rigs will start immediately the forestry permits are issued.PT Indobara Pratama ("PT IBP")The Directors have been reviewing the allocation of resources following the recently announced joint ventures on itscopper and gold prospects.As shareholders will be aware, the Company was acting as a selling agent for the shareholders of IBP. Despiteapproaching numerous parties and entering into detailed negotiations with a large number of potential purchasers overthe past 2 years, it has not been possible to conclude a sale of PT IBP on terms satisfactory to the owners of PT IBP.In view of this, the Directors have decided to concentrate its much needed resources on the copper and gold projects.The Company will continue to seek, evaluate and identify new coalopportunities as and when they arise.

About Kalimantan GoldKalimantan Gold Corporation Limited is a junior exploration companylisted on both the TSX Venture Exchange in Canada and on AIM inLondon.

The Company has two exploration projects in Kalimantan: the Jelaiepithermal gold project in East Kalimantan (which is optioned to TigersRealm Minerals) and the KSK Contract of Work in Central Kalimantanwith multiple porphyry copper and gold prospects (which is optioned toFreeport).For further information please visit www.kalimantan.com or contact:Faldi IsmailDeputy Chairman and CEO, Kalimantan GoldMobile: +61 (0) 423 206 324Email: faldi.ismail@kalimantan.comGerald CheyneDirector Corporate DevelopmentTelephone: +44 (0) 2077311806Mobile: +44 (0) 7717473168Email: gerald.cheyne@kalimantan.comYUM in Aceh and KalimantanPART 1 OF THE INTERVIEW WITH OLVIA REKSODIPOETROOlvia Reksodipoetro is the chairperson of Yayasan Usaha Mulia (YUM) a foundation in Indonesia which includes manysocial projects. It is one of Subud's longest running and most successful humanitarian endeavors. In Part One of this two-part series she talks about YUM's work in the tsunami-struck area of Aceh in Sumatra and YUM's projects in CentralKalimantan in Borneo....Olvia: I came to Indonesia in 1974. Before that I had lived mostly in Paris. I had worked in Paris for about ten years,mostly in the fashion world. And when I arrived in Indonesia I thought I would stay only two months at Wisma Subudbut then within ten days I got a job for the UN. So I worked for the UN for five years, and then after that in the privatesector. While I was working for the UN I met my husband and in 1998 I established my own company. ►SUBUD VOICEPAGE 5 SEP 2011KGC has decided to concentrate itsmuch needed resources on its copperand gold prospects.◆
Page 6
Harris: What was the company doing?Olvia: Consulting. We were doing a lot of legal projects forthe World Bank, the IMF also, doing research and training. Wewere doing also lots of translations for UNICEF. Then when myhusband was sent to Norway as Ambassador, I closed the com-pany.I felt a lot more interested in social work. I had already done some whileworking with the UN. And since my salary was no longer really neededafter Norway, I decided to close the company and concentrate on socialwork. And about two months after I came back from Norway I was askedto be the Chair of YUM. And at that time YUM needed a lot of help, so itwas very challenging.Harris: What year was that?Olvia: 2005. And it was very challenging, but fortunately there was agood team. I was given a free hand to choose the other board members. Andalso a friend asked me, “How much do you need to put YUM back on itsfeet?” and so I was able to hire an accountant and an Executive Directorand buy two computers. We immediately had the accounts audited, and Ihad to close quite a number of projects. For instance, two of our clinicswere operating without a license and without a doctor.When I took over the main thing for me was to establish a sound organ-ization, with sound practices, and I contacted the Ford Foundation, becauseI had heard that they helped NGOs to be accountable and transparent. So Icontacted them and they referred us to another organization, which is fullyfunded by George Soros, the Open Society Foundation. And they helped us.We worked with them for two days to assess all the aspects of the organization that needed improvement, and it waseverything, every aspect. The only thing that was clear was our mission and vision, to help the poor in every possibleway, disregarding gender, religion, ethnicity. So from that we have had a road map of what was needed for the organiza-tion to have a solid basis. So we worked on that and now it's OK. But there was a lot of work leading to that. And alsoof course hiring new staff who could handle proper accounting, proper everything.Harris: How did the work in Aceh begin?Olvia: Through Murray Clapham, we were contacted by a very big Japanese organization, the Japan National Councilof Social Welfare. They had a lot of money for countries that had been affected by the tsunami, and they wanted a proj-ect in Aceh.So their Director paid us a visit, and then went to Aceh, and cameback and said, “You are starting next month to do a community centerand we are sending you right away 7 million Yen and 1 million Yenwill be for YUM itself, for its head office.”The project was for five years, and after one year they had somehigh level people come to check what was going on, and they were sohappy they doubled our budget. And so this project continued for fiveyears, and was only closed last year. The last three years were reallyused to train local people to take over what we were doing. At thebeginning we were renting one of the few standing houses there, butthe year before the project was closed, we built a community centerthat was handed over to the community.Harris: What sort of services did that provide?Olvia: Trauma relief in different forms. For children through sports, drawing activities, physiotherapy. Also provid-ing micro-credit for people who had lost everything but had abackground of running a small business. And providing schoolscholarships for children. We also opened a small library, and acare center for small children, so the mothers could have time toearn money or to have other activities. And the training of othersocial workers as well. ►SUBUD VOICEPAGE 6SEP 2011The main thing wasto establish a soundorganisationOlvia Reksodipoetro.‘’‘A communitycenter for tsunamivictims in Aceh ’Impact of the tsunami in Aceh. ‘You arestarting next month to build a community center.’
Page 7
The project manager was very good at networking, so we got projects with ILO also. This one was a really good proj-ect, and they wanted us to stay, but there was no more funding. However, it had been a great five years.The Japan National Council of Social Welfare, who are an umbrella organization, employ one-and-a-half million peo-ple, and they usually do not do projects outside of Japan. But at the time of the tsunami they had 4,500 retirement homesand the Director told me that they received a lot of money from the people staying in these retirement homes, some veryrich. So they had a lot of money to assist projects in countries most affected by the tsunami of 2004.So when I went with the Director to the inauguration of the commu-nity center we built, the one that they were leaving as a legacy, I talkedwith him about Kalimantan, and he said he would have a little bit offunding for us.He was particularly interested in keeping the local culture alive. Andthat's why we discussed with him this idea of doing books for childrenwith local Dayak stories, dealing with local culture. And I am so gladthat we are cooperating with you and BCU School on this.And besides that project, through some miracle we also got a big proj-ect from Barclays Capital, for Kalimantan, where we now assist localschools. We had done a survey and 40% of the children could not affordschool books, which is a major problem, because they can’t do theirhomework without school books. Also, the teachers did not have refer-ence material. Part of the funding was also for BCU, to train local teachers, and for us to establish a library for childrenin the area. And this has been going on now for three years.We also started a telecenter with their funding, where we could train young people how to use computers. And nowthat we have at last a good Internet access, they also learn how touse the Internet for school research. And at the moment we alsohave 100 kids who come for English lessons in the library. Theyhave a very strong wish to learn and to improve their English.And besides that we were also asked by friends in Germanywhether we would be interested to apply to the German govern-ment for a project. One key problem in Kalimantan was malaria.We worked with our German friends for two years on a proposal toaddress the problem of malaria and now we are in our last year ofthat project. This also went very well.We followed the implementation guidelines of The Global Fundand the Health Ministry. And while there were more than 900 peo-ple who tested positive for malaria two years ago, now every monththe records of the local health clinic show that only one or two per-sons are infected and usually it’s people who went into the jungle, outside the area we were servicing.Harris: And is it like an eradication program, when you try and eradicate the mosquitoes?Olvia: Yes. It’s a really comprehensive program; distribution of mosquito nets was one of the key componentsbecause we used the kind which are impregnated with a chemical that kills mosquitoes instantly, even in a radius of afew 100 meters.Harris: Really? That’s powerful.Olvia: Yes, very powerful, it's from Japan and another brand we use is from Germany.Also, we spray houses where for malaria you need to spray twice a year. You spray the walls with larvicide where thelarva are sticking, and also kill larva in all the ponds in the area. And we did a lot of health education, because peopledid not know it was malaria that affected them. They thought, OK, we have fever so we go and buy some Aspirin orPanadol and of course they would not be cured.Fortunately, this type of malaria is not the kind that kills almost instantly, but it’s debilitating and therefore peoplecannot work. The children miss school because of it and they can never fully recover. I mean, they get it several times.They can get it twice a year.We had an external evaluation of our project from the Health Ministry in Jakarta. Three of them came here; one wasan entomologist who with the help of some local people was catching mosquitoes for three nights in a row. They broughtback the mosquitoes to analyze in their laboratories in Jakarta. No trace of active malaria was found.There was also an expert in malariometrics who took blood samples of 150 children and again no trace of malaria ►SUBUD VOICEPAGE 7SEP 2011Aceh Community Centre. Bult by YUM, givento the community.New school equipment in Central Kalimantan fundedby Barclays.
Page 8
anymore. And a doctor was always there. All the tests confirmed that malariawas no longer active in that area.Harris: What area is that?Olvia: It’s Bukit Batu, a sub-district of which Rungan Sari is part. We havebeen working in six villages out of seven, because the seventh village is verydifficult to access. So we did not work there, only in the other six villageswhere we calculate there are about 11,000 people.Harris: 11,000 people, wow!Olvia: Community health education is a big part of it, and our staff attend every Posyandu meeting at the health serv-ice post, 16 every month, so they are in contact with hundreds of women every month. And we explain again and againthe importance of having mosquito netting over their beds, as a way to prevent being bitten by mosquitoes. And so nowthey understand and it has worked well. And we hope the malaria will not come back, but you can never be sure.But fortunately, The Global Fund has started being active in Kalimantan though not yet in our area because there is nomore malaria there at the moment. So they are startingwith the most endemic areas, and we hope that by work-ing in those other areas it will help this area not torestart the malaria problem.Harris: The Global Fund – is that an UN agency?Olvia: It’s a mixture of different donors, USAID, theGates Foundation and some governments.Harris: And its focus is health programs?Olvia: Yes. So there is a Global Fund for Malaria, forTuberculosis, and for AIDS. So there are around eightprojects for Kalimantan and Sulawesi, if I am not mis-taken, and they are spending tens of millions of dollars.I mean, it’s not a small project like with us, because theyare going to handle a huge area.And now our staff are being asked to join meetings, toexplain to other sub-districts how we did it, so that they fol-low the way we have been doing, which has been successful.So these are the major projects we have done in Kalimantan.Harris: What about agriculture?Olvia: That is something we started a year ago. YUM hada big place near Jakarta which had been a problem for a longtime, so we agreed to sell it and instead invest in land here in Kalimantan, because one acute problem here is food short-age. Most of the vegetables are brought from either Java or SouthKalimantan. But because of the soil degradation, after lots of the forest hasbeen subjected to deforestation, much of the soil in Central Kalimantanhas turned into sand. There are only a few places where the soil is fertile,and most of it is not good.As a result, people are not able to grow vegetables, and those who try,have to spend a lot of money using chemicals and still it doesn’t work.So we bought two pieces of land; one was fertile soil, the other wassandy soil, and we are testing and researching simple methods for the peo-ple in the community to adopt, to restore the soil, using natural compost,bio-char, and other things. We are preparing in one location, a demonstra-tion plot, growing different types of vegetables and also medicinal plants.So once we get the funding again, it will be hopefully with the German government; we have been discussing this withthem for a year-and-a-half. Then we will teach people in the communities how to do a home garden. And the idea is thatthis home garden will grow different types of legumes and that will help them to have better nutrition. ►SUBUD VOICEPAGE 8 SEP 2011‘’We have run a verycomprehensiveanti-malariaprogramMalaria eradication team. Right: Malaria fell from a peak of 976 casesin 1998, before YUM’s program began, to just 7 cases in 2011.Sustainable agriculture project in CentralKalimantan.
Page 9
SUBUD VOICEPAGE 9 SEP 2011We know that there is a lot of malnutrition and under-nutrition,because vegetables there are more expensive than they are, for exam-ple, in Jakarta, because they have to be brought from far away.Standards of living are very low, because there is no business here, nobig industry. So people barely survive. They have to spend a lot just tofeed themselves and they don’t feed themselves properly.So we hope that through these home gardens they will be able to feedthemselves properly. So that’s their basic food needs taken care of, butalso for those who have more land, later on they can earn more throughcash crops.Harris: What’s the size of the land that you have currently; the goodland and the bad land?Olvia: The good land, we have two hectares; the bad land, I think we have 13 hectares.Harris: OK, 15 altogether. Is that located on Kilometer 31 on the road to Rungan Sari?Olvia: The good one is Kilometer 30; the bad one Kilometer 37. But they are prime location, both of them, becausethey're along the Trans-Kalimantan Highway. So eventually we hope to move our office there; and the library.As part of our long-term plans we also hope to build a vocational training center because, again, a big problem hereis that few people have skills, which makes it very difficult for them even to apply for micro-credit loans, because theywould not know what to do with the money.The big palm oil companies usually bring their workers from Java. They don’t employ many local people. So we arehoping to do a survey to find out what are the needs of the big companies in Central Kalimantan and therefore to adjustour trainings to those needs. We have already identified a number of needs, but we hope to identify more.One problem here in Kalimantan is to find good staff. It's very difficult because there are not many people with qual-ifications, and if they have qualifications they prefer to work in Palangkaraya rather than coming to our projects, 36 kilo-meters from Palangkaraya, with no bus, no public transport. So rain or shine they have to come by motorbike. The smokeis also a problem; there is smoke sometimes, that makes it difficult to move around. So it's not easy to find local staff.And we have tried to bring staff from Java, with very limited success, because first, we have to pay them more,because they are working outside of Java and far from their family. And then they don’t really adapt well. It's too remotefor them; they can't go shopping, they can't go to the movies, not much of a nightlife.So it's not been easy to find local staff, especially for malaria, because the University of Palangkaraya does not haveany medical faculty. So we have had to work with the staff of the branch of the Health Ministry in Palangkaraya, becausewe could not get anyone qualified to work for us.So we partnered with government institutions and some of their staff work part-time for us to assist us with our proj-ect, because at least they have some medical knowledge or some local knowledge.In the second part of this interview Olvia talks about how YUM got started and about its projects in Java. To find outmore about YUM and to donate to its work, go to www.yumindonesia.orgFinancial Services CompanySESI News July 2011: WSC Endorses the Development of a Financial Services Company by SESIThe recent WSC meeting that took place in Rungan Sari, Kalimantan passed the following resolutions:WSA AND ENTERPRISES"That the WSC endorses, in principle, the proposal that WSA through SESI may have a direct and pioneering role to playin the development of financial and investment services which can support the growth and development of Subud enter-prises; andThat the WSC empower SESI to establish an investment and financial services company to support the growth ofSubud Enterprises and enterprises of Subud members with reference to enterprises particularly in Kalimantan. If deter-mined to be feasible by SESI, the WSA Executive and the WSA Chair, then SESI will inform Subud members of theinvestment opportunities in the resultant Subud Enterprise. 1 July 2011”We are acutely aware of Bapak’s guidance:• That for Subud to fulfill its obligations, to grow and to find its place in the world it is imperative that we developSubud enterprises to provide funding for our Association's needs.• That in this way Subud would become financially self-sufficient; able to serve the needs of our membership, and ►Community library. Giving young peoplefrom poor backgrounds access to education.◆
Page 10
support the establishment of substantial social projects.SESI's role is to rejuvenate and support our Association's efforts to put Bapak’s Enterprise vision into practice. We seethat the first step is to establish a financial company (FinCo) that will serve as a catalyst for the development of Subudenterprises. Initially, the focus will be on enterprises in Kalimantan.We recall Bapak’s vision that Indonesia will become a leader in the world economy, that Kalimantan will become theeconomic leader in Indonesia, and that Subud will become the economic leader in Kalimantan.Our analysis indicates that the only possible motors for development in Kalimantan, of thatmagnitude, are mining and oil. Thus FinCo will focus on mining and oil enterprises in Kalimantan. It will work togeth-er with Kalimantan Gold Corporation (KGC), the mining company that Bapak established, and Altar Resources, the oilcompany in Kalimantan that is owned by Hamid da Silva.• If it is determined that FinCo is feasible, it will be established in Indonesia as an independent, limited liability com-pany.• It would be established under the guidance of SESI and the WSA Executive. Once established it would operate inde-pendently of SESI/ WSA with its own shareholders, board of directors, management, and with a supervisory board tooversee (but not manage) the company.• FinCo would initially focus on:A. Fostering and providing loans to enterprises of Subud members which support the needs of KGC and other min-ing companies in Kalimantan andB. Acting as a catalyst to form and raise financing for new, larger-scale Subud Enterprises in the fields of mining andoil, particularly in Kalimantan. • FinCo will donate 25% of its profits to Subud.• The companies which FinCo supports will donate part of their revenues or profits to Subud.• A SESI team headed by Ruslan Morris is working on a feasibility study for FinCo.Members interested in participating in the development of FinCo or who need more information can contact Ruslanat: rrmorris@clubbali.comMore general enquiries concerning SESI can be directed to Rashad at: pollardrr@aol.comThe SESI Executive Board: Ruslan Morris, Harris Madden, Rashad Pollard.Wedding in Bangladesh Abdus Salam Molla writes…My elder son, Marzuki and I had the opportunity to attend the 12th Subud WorldCongress at Innsbruck, Austria in August 2005. At that time Marzuki was 23 years oldand studying in a university in Bangladesh.While we were in Innsbruck, I received a secret message inside me, it was as if maybeone of the girls attending this congress would be my future daughter-in-law.I looked at the faces of the young girls around me but was unsure as to who was theright person. As I do not know other foreign languages apart from English, I could not com-municate with any of the girls who spoke other languages.We came back to Bangladesh and became busy in everyday life. Marzuki got his uni-versity degree and started his career in a finance company. But suddenly he decided to giveup his job and move to the UK to study Chartered Accountancy.Five years later, I flew to Christchurch to attend the 13th Subud Int. World Congressas the lone delegate for Bangladesh. At the Christchurch airport, I was cordially wel-comed by a Subud girl. She was from Colombia and her name was Maryam Roldan. Shearranged my transport and sorted out my accommodation in a local lodge. On the follow-ing day, I received an e-mail from my elder son (Marzuki). I was very surprised to knowfrom this that Maryam and Marzuki had met in Innsbruck, Austria during the SubudWorld Congress there, and that they had liked each other.I met Maryam’s father and her elder brother in the Christchurch Congress and chattedwith them for a while. We had lunch and dinner together. We felt very close to each other.After returning to Dhaka, Bangladesh, I expressed my feelings and confirmed to my fam-ily members that from my side there was no objection to accepting Maryam as mydaughter-in-law.On June 17, 2010 Marzuki went to Medellin, Colombia from London to meetMaryam’s family. All her family members were so happy to meet him. On July 1st, ►SUBUD VOICEPAGE 10SEP 2011◆Marzuki and Maryam
Page 11
according to the customs in Colombia, Maryam and Marzuki invited Maryam’s parents to lunch and asked permission to get mar-ried. Maryam's parents were pleased and gladly accepted their decision. And thus it was that Maryam and Marzuki becameengaged that day. Marzuki returned to London a few days later and awaited Maryam’s University graduation.Maryam graduated in Law in December 2010. They then decided to get married in Medellin, Colombia in April 2011. They startedto sort out all the legal papers necessary to arrange the civil wedding. Finally, they got married on 09th April.Thanks to Almighty God and Subud that Maryam came from a Subud family, like my son. And when Maryam's parents sawmy son for the first time at the airport in Medellin, their feelings were so deep and affectionate that Marzuki seemed like their ownson and very close to their hearts and in no way an outsider. The same happened with me and my family, on meeting Maryam.Colombia is far away from Bangladesh, on the opposite side of the globe. We live in Asia and Maryam's family lives in SouthAmerica. Our languages, culture, color, food and habits are so different. Yet Subud and the Latihan (i.e surrender to the power ofAlmighty God) bas brought us together.Marzuki is now a Chartered Accountant from the UK. He is also a graduate from Oxford Brookes University in ‘AppliedAccounting’. He worked as treasurer for the Subud Central London group until March 2011. Maryam is a professional Lawyer.She worked as secretary for Subud Colombia and is currently a Spanish translator for the Muhammad Subuh Foundation. Bothbelong to long-standing Subud families. Recently, the couple moved to Bangladesh and Marzuki started his new journey as anaccountant in KPMG Bangladesh.The world in a puddle Alica Bryson-Haynes writes...This photo was taken on Wimbledon station in England. I was on my way to university and I just happened to havemy camera with me when I saw the world reflected in a puddle. It seemed to combine so many things, air and water, skyand land. How does it relate to my life in Subud? I suppose we should always be ready to grab the spontaneous moment,the gifts life constantly pours out for us.Alica is currently going to university in Australia, the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, where she is doing aMasters in Fine Art (Painting.) To see more of Alica's work go to www.briannaalica.com There you will see a selectionof her work from when she finished her degree at Kingston University in England.You can contact her from the site about purchasing her work.SUBUD VOICEPAGE 11 SEP 2011◆◆FAVOURITE PHOTOS
Page 12
How was your Month of the Ancestors?How was the Month of the Ancestors for you this year? Mine was hell, or purgatory at least.When I first started doing Ramadan 40 years or so ago, the Month of the Ancestors was always very difficult. It wasas if I got reduced to such a state in the Month of the Ancestors that I had no choice but to do Ramadan. I fell intoRamadan with grateful relief.Then things seemed to quieten down a bit and for the last 10 or 15 years it has not been so bad. But then this year itwas a whopper!I know it was for many other people too, both in an out of Subud. I cannot do a statistical count of all the people inthe world to see if it was a universal experience but certainly many people I knew or met, all said, “What a helluvamonth!”Why is it so difficult? I was talking to my wife about it last night (having completed two days of Ramadan, we werealready in a mellow mood and the cloud we had been under for the whole Month of the Ancestors seemed to be liftingoff) and she said, “It's because it amplifies everything wrong in you. It brings it all to the surface.”With me, it seemed to be a case of all my bad chickens coming home to roost at once. All the the unresolved issues Ihad on the “back burner” demanded to be moved to the front burner. It got very crowded on that burner. It also seemedthat any gift, skill, good or hopeful quality I possess was submerged in a sea of troubles.I also saw that there had to be a major correction in my behaviour. We all have a leading vice, addiction, tendency orbad habit, don't we? With some it's a tendency to anger, others gossip, some hold on to grudges, others do other things.(Some day if we are together, I will show you mine, if you will show me yours.)It also had something to do with preparing for a new stage in life. I turned 69 during the Month of the Ancestors andI was faced with the possibility that I might be getting old. In fact, that I was moving into a new, final phase of life andI was in the process of preparing (or having prepared around me) a new vehicle for it.There is a very good story in Abdullah Pope's book, Reminiscences of Bapak, in which a man comes to Bapak andcomplains about getting old; his mind's not as sharp, his memory's gone etc. Bapak says (I am paraphrasing), “Well, it'slike this. All your life you have been driving a Chevrolet and now God wants to give you a Cadillac, but you don't wantto get out of the Chevrolet!”So I am trying to move out of the Chevrolet which has served as my vehiclein life thus far (it is falling to bits around me anyway) and looking for this won-drous Cadillac I have been promised.The BurghersMy wife has an interesting ancestry. She comes from the group in Sri Lankaknown as the Burghers, mixed race people, the result of the intermarriagebetween the native Sinhalese and the various colonial powers Portuguese, Dutchand English who ruled “Ceylon” at various times.. My wife comes from theDutch strain. And strain it can sometimes be.She said, “I don't know what happened to me this month. I was in such a state.I think it was the Dutch side of me coming out. Did I seem very brusque or bossythis month?”The correct answer to this question is, “Of course not, darling”, but It doesseem that from time to time a rather forceful side of my wife comes out and onemight trace it to those colonial Dutch whose will was law, who controlled anddominated people, who would brook no interference or disagreement. We werealready (after only the 2nd day of Ramadan) in such a blessed state of marital har-mony that we could talk about these sometimes controversial matters.I hope you enjoy this first of the new subscriber series of Subud Voice. I think it hassome very good things in it. For me, Subud is a great adventure story, an inner adven-ture, and Kalimantan is perhaps the most dramatic example of this because the inneradventure is perfectly reflected in the outer.It deals explicitly with that great symbol, the search for gold, and it is full of spec-tacular examples of the risks and dangers that accompany any great adventure – ►SUBUD VOICEPAGE 12SEP 2011‘’This yearit was awhopperE D I T O R I A L
Page 13
wild rivers, giant snakes, primates and Djinn. A real Boys Own Adventure and who better to tell it than Mansur Geiger.There is also the great adventure story of YUM and many other articles I hope you will enjoy. Now, we come to the“home stretch” which has an emphasis on Sri Lanka, one of the first countries outside Indonesia to embrace Subud. I wentthere earlier this year with my wife. And we conclude this issue with the return of Bapak's talks with a talk he gave inColombo in 1958.And of course we very much hope you will enjoy the “give-aways” that accompany this issue, our republication of the“The Experiences of Sudarto” which has been out of print for many years, along with some memories of Sudarto by IlaineLennard and myself.We also start a new feature this month. My blog. The first entry is an interview with my wife. Learn more about whatit means to be a Burgher and what has been her journey in life. Just go to the home page and click on Editor’s BlogUntil next time, HarrisSUBUD VOICEPAGE 13 SEP 2011◆Mariani Joseph de SaramSabrina Rubesinghe writes…Mariani Joseph de Saram left us a few months ago. She was a dear friend to me. She was a long standing memberof Subud Sri Lanka. So was her husband – a versatile writer, and cartoonist for the Ceylon (now Sri Lanka)Newspapers – and an avid reader. Mariani came from a famous family in Sri Lanka. Famous is not only of ‘goodstock’ but also more for their leadership in education, the arts, and mostly music. Mariani could play almost everyinstrument – the piano, violin, guitar, drums, flute, recorder and many more. She taught them all.She was a clever artist, working with both water and oils and has had many an exhibition of her works. She taughtme how to draw using only the pencil, producing various shades, and come up with a good picture. She was a cleversculptor too, and I have seen many a famous head in her drawing room.She taught art and music to children and made it so interesting for them with tests and competitions, and parties– some in her own house.

She let them use their imagination and I saw many a real feather, leaf or stick used by thechildren. She had a way with children, once a little boy was behaving ever so mischievously, while she attended tosome other studies. I myself was disturbed as I was drawing and I expected him to be reprimanded. Then she camealong and in such a loving voice took his crayons and showed him what to do. In a minute he was drawing soearnestly, and produced a wonderful drawing.She loved children. She once told me when I called her; “My granddaughter is practising beauty culture, and sheis using my face”.

The child was only nine years old. I think there was nothing she could NOT do – for she alsoknew how to knit and sew. She once knitted a baby cardigan overnight, for a gift. She also had classes for childrenfrom the slums in her own home. She even kept in touch with their parent and visited them when they were sick.From time to time she took them gifts. She took an interest in the healing Arts and learnt and practiced ReikiHealing. I know that she had healing hands because I felt a great heat when she treated me for a shoulder pain. Sheloved to learn language and was learning Arabic not so long ago.She was a writer and had written several books. S

he produced a series of books for children with illustrations.Trees of Sri Lanka, Birds of Sri Lanka and Waterfalls of Sri Lanka were some of them. She was an avid reader andhad a vast collection of books on a variety of subject and in many languages too. In spite of all this she found thetime to do crosswords and watch television.She loved good food and eating and was a good cook herself.

Date: August 11, 2012 11:43PM

Same URL as above\

However, I think that sometimes she just had a snack andwas quite happy with that. She was a child at heart. She passed on her talents to her children. Many Subud members, bothhere and internationally, would have been fortunate to hear her son Lakshman, play and conduct his orchestra.The day she passed away, our Sri Lankan members were requested by our president to do latihan, in their ownhomes, at the particular time that the funeral ceremony was going on. I felt her loss keenly, and kept calling “ Mariani,Mariani, won’t you talk to me again?”, as I had the habit of calling her whenever I had a problem, especially, withmy drawing. Strangely enough, a few days later, I found myself taking out my drawings and paints which I had putaway (as repairs were being done to my room) and there I was – painting again.Thank you Mariani. Au revoir and not Goodbye!May her soul rest in peace.◆
Page 14
SUBUD VOICEPAGE 14 SEP 2011Stranger things have happenedHarris Smart writes...In January 2011 I went to Sri Lanka with my wife Piata. After 20 years of marriage, this was my first visit to my wife'scountry of origin.We stayed at the very fine Subud house in Colombo and one evening the President of Subud Sri Lanka, Mr VallipuramSinnadorai, arranged for a group of members to stay after latihan to talk to us about Subud in Sri Lanka then and now.The first contact with Subud came through the journalist, Varindra Vittachi. In 1957 he had an inexplicable urge to goto England. When he arrived, he went to Coombe Springs because he was a follower of the Russian sage Gurdjieff, andthe Institute at Coombe Springs run by John Bennett was one of the centres continuing the work of Gurdjieff who haddied in 1949.At Coombe Springs, he found that Subud had arrived and he was opened. Apparently, before his arrival, Bapak hadseveral times asked if there was anyone from Sri Lanka present.Varindra was told to keep Subud to himself, but when hereturned to Sri Lanka, it appears he may have opened one or two ofhis newspaper colleagues including the cartoonist Audrey Collette.(Varindra had an outstanding journalistic career as a champion ofthe free press, not only in Sri Lanka, but throughout Asia. He wenton to play an important role with UNESCO, was a columnist withNewsweek, and for many years was the Chairman of the WorldSubud Association.)Bapak then sent Iksan Ahmed to Sri Lanka and on December 28,1957, he opened a number of men. Soon after, women were alsoopened by Mariani (BulBul) Arnold. Hundreds of people wereopened altogether. Then in 1958 Bapak himself came to Sri Lanka,stayingfrom October until December. He subsequently visited Sri Lankain 1967, 1970 and 1981.The members rented several different properties including amagnificent colonial mansion by the sea at 38 Frankfort Place,Colombo 4. When that property became available, they purchasedit in July 1974 for Rp 124,000, an insignificant sum by today'sstandards (about US$1200), but a challenge in those days. Thefunds were partially raised by a group enterprise printing designsfor saris, and then combined with some contributions by members,the money was invested in a stock market tip which paid off andgave the necessary cash to buy the house.Later, the government compulsorily acquired part of the prop-erty to widen a road running along the coast. With the compensation money, the group was able to demolish the old man-sion and put up the splendid new property which was opened by Ibu Rahayu in September 2004. The architect-designedbuilding has three storeys and includes latihan halls, meeting spaces and accommodation for visitors. The third floor isrented to a tenant, the Gem and Jewellery Association of Sri Lanka, providing a substantial income for the group's needs.Welfare and EnterpriseIn 1984, Helena Goonetillecke, with the support of Dr. Robert and Dr. Indrayati, set up a health clinic in a slum area ofColombo to support poor people who, when they had to go to hospital, were often treated in an undignified way. This grewinto a whole collection of welfare projects collectively known as Suhadha. It eventually included two preschools, a voca-tional training centre where young people were taught trades like carpentry, plumbing and sewing, and a Day Care Centre.The project was able to partner with Susila Dharma in Germany and attracted funding from the German government.Helena recalls that the first funding application was rejected because she did not ask for enough money! When she dou-bled the amount asked for, the application went through. With the support of her husband Lamman, and the rest of thegroup, Helena maintained the projects for almost 20 years and there were many landmarks and highlights, including a visitto Singapore by a troupe of young dancers trained by the project. Fortunately, when Helena had to retire, most of the ►The original Sri Lanka Subud House, a colonial mansion nearthe sea in Colombo.The new Subud House opened in 2004 by Ibu Rahayu.
Page 15
projects were continued by various branches of government.An enterprise with a strong cultural content run by a woman is SusilaProductions, run by Sandya Mendis also since 1984. The company pro-duces television series, documentaries and corporate videos and has beenextraordinarily successful, winning the award for the best Sri Lankandrama production. The company is famous for its long-running televi-sion series, usually dealing with family issues. The company employs acore staff of 14 people plus another 40 on contract.Sandya told me, “It is often very hard to work with artists, and some-times I feel so fed up, I'd rather do something else. But then someone willtell me how much they appreciate the work, and so I continue, and thisbusiness has taught me so much, about working with people, aboutmoney, about everything, about life.”PersonalitiesThere are many stories about the “characters” and outstanding individu-als who have woven the fabric of Subud in Sri Lanka.Ronald and Rosetta Jayatillecke were particular favorites of Bapak and he stayed with them on his visits to SriLanka. Everyone recalls their absolute dedication to Subud and how their house was always open to Subud mem-bers and activities.Many people also recall Rawindra Weerakoon, who was thedirector of CISIR (The Ceylon Institute of Science andResearch)and his ability to receive insights that were helpfulto the lives of other people.Sandya recalls that for many years she was unmarried andthen one evening Rawindra told her that he felt she would finda husband who was Sri Lankan, but lived in another country. Hesaid it might take 10 years, but he was sure it would happen. Sandya said, “But I would like to have a husband now!”Nevertheless,, it was true that a few years later she met a Sri Lanka man from Canada and felt immediately, “If Iwish to marry in this life, this is the man I must marry.” And she did. She remembered then what Rawindra had toldher though by that time he had passed on.Robert Goonetillecke (no relation to Helena) then told how at a certain point in his life he had decided to go toAmerica assuming he would never return to Sri Lanka. He felt some qualms about this, particularly in terms of hisresponsibility to look after his parents. But Rawindra told Robert's father, that Robert would return to Sri Lankawhich was a great comfort to both Robert and his father, and proved to be true.Another character whom many recall with affectionate amusement is Rusli Sideek. On one of his visits to SriLanka, Bapak wanted to visit a tea plantation because he was planning to grow tea on his own farm in Indonesia.The expedition was arranged in the chauffeur-driven Cadillac of one of the members.But Bapak said he wanted to be driven by a Subud member. Who would drive him? The only one who put up hishand was Rusli who was very small, scarcely able to see the dashboard of the car, and furthermore had very bad eye-sight. Nevertheless, Bapak said that Rusli should drive.The roads into the hills were steep, narrow and windingbut the journey was completed without mishap.Afterwards, Rusli said, “I did not drive the car. The cardrove me.” It was the car, he insisted, not himself, that hadnegotiated all the tight curves.Bapak advised Rusli that he should be a farmer, eventhough he had inherited very substantial business inter-ests, including real estate, from his father. Though it waspainful and risky, Rusli gave up the family business, andafter a long search, located a piece of land where he beganto farm livestock. A few years later the government decid-ed to relocate the capital of Sri Lanka to some land nearRusli's and he was able to sell his farm at an enormousprofit. ►SUBUD VOICEPAGE 15 SEP 2011‘’I do not intend todie until we have1000 membersA gathering of members at the Subud house.The new stainless steel Subud symbol. It broughtits maker into Subud.
Page 16
SUBUD VOICEPAGE 16 SEP 2011◆Several members talked about the power of the Subud sym-bol which is prominent high up on the façade of the Subudhouse. In the beginning it was made of fiberglass, and eventhen Robert Goonetillecke recalled how at least one man hadbeen attracted to Subud simply by seeing the symbol.The president, Vallipuram, added that it was decided toreplace the original symbol with something better, made ofstainless steel so that it would never corrode in the salt air. Thecraftsmen they commissioned to make the new symbol was somoved by it that he came into Subud.What Is Lacking?Subud members here have so much, including what must beone of the finest Subud properties in the world, and a rich his-tory. I asked them if there was anything they wanted or needed.Unanimously they agreed that what they needed was new members, especially young members. The membership wasdwindling and ageing. We discussed the mystery of why this might be so and what might be done to correct the situa-tion. What is within our power to do something about it, and to what extent can we only be surrendered to God?Another thing worth bearing in mind is that Subud Sri Lanka has been a great exporter of talent to other countries –Kumari Beck, the current chair of Susila Dharma International for the second time, is one example who comes to mind– and so to some extent, more than any other country, Subud Sri Lanka has depleted its own resources in gifting to theworld.Vallipuram boldly declared, “I do not intend to die until we have 1000 members.”To which someone responded, “Do you intend then to be immortal?”But someone else said, “Why not? Why not?”And someone else said, “Stranger things have happened.”My wife and I would like to thank all the Subud members who made our stay in Sri Lanka so extremely pleasant andenriching, especially Vallipuram, and Sandya who took us out to a marvellous dinner, and Helen who gave us a wonder-ful traditional lunch in her beautiful house and garden. And thank you to all the other members who came that night andshared with us their memories and hopes for the future. And also to Sebastian, the caretaker at the Subud house, wholooked after us with such kindness and attention.The Subud house is imbued with the palpable and deeply peaceful feeling of a place where the latihan has sincerelybeen maintained for many years and there is still a strong feeling of connection with the purity of the latihan as it firstbegan to spread in the world in the 1950s. We experienced that staying in the Colombo Subud house returned us to thepure source of the latihan. These members have kept the flame alive.We thoroughly recommend to anyone planning to come to Sri Lanka that they should visit the Subud house.Read the Voice on your iPadIn a recent issue we told you that you can download Subud Voiceto your Kindle. Now Hanafi Fraval writes to say that it looks greaton his iPad.I had a look at it in his way and it does look sensational. Theclarity and colour is unbeatable. A very pleasant reading experi-ence. And so portable. You can take it with you to read anywhere,just like a book, even in the bath. (But don’t drop it in the bath.)If you are connected to the internet you can of course down-load the Subud Voice .pdf direct to your computer. Or Hanafi alsoprovided this info…“Connect the iPad to the computer in the normal way and open iTunes. Drag the SV pdf on your computer to theDEVICES section of the left column of the iTunes screen. It starts syncing automatically and a few seconds later – youhave it on your iPad.”Suhadha social project.
Page 17
SUBUD VOICEPAGE 17 SEP 2011Borneo Productions InternationalThe article in our August issue about the enterprise meeting at Wisma Subud mentioned a number of activities inKalimantan. Amongst them was a reference to Borneo Productions International which made it look as if this compa-ny was involved in the development of a proposed higher education institute in Kalimantan and a proposed enterpris-es support agency.Actually Borneo Productions International is an enterprise of some young Subud members (Bjorn and PierceVaughn and Emmanuel Bryson-Haynes with support from Hamid da Silva) and its main business focus is video pro-duction at which they have been amazingly successful in a short space of time. We have had two articles about the com-pany in recent times, one about the video clip they produced with an anti-pollution message, and the other a generalaccount of the company by Bjorn with special reference to their production in Flores. (Remember the Komodo dra-goons and manta rays?)Bradford moves onOccasionally, in Subud you find yourself working withsomeone whom you know you could not find anyone bet-ter in the world to work with. Such has been my verypleasant experience of working with Bradford Templeover the last ten years at Subud Voice. Bradford was ofcourse our administrator spending 20 hours a week for nopay on the administration, subscriptions and finances ofthe company.Now Bradford has had to focus on other projects.For example, he is very much involved in the Hillsidehousing development near Wollongong, south ofSydney. We must also pay tribute to his wife Celia,who supported Brad, especially by putting all those Voices into envelopes and posting them off (back in theancient days of print).Thank you also to Rahman Connelly, who joined with Bradford and me to continue Subud Voice in Australiaafter Ilaina Lennard was not able to continue in the UK. Rahman has been, of course, heavily involved inKalimantan Gold in recent years.We wish them all the very best in their current and future endeavours even tho we miss them very much at SubudVoice. Love to all Harris Smart, EditorMy Subud Life Muhammad Isman KanafskyList Price: $14.99 Available at www.amazon.comOver the years many Subud members would ask me to write a book of my experiences inSubud. I would usually say that I would someday write one. But I never felt moved to do soby the power of God. I have always felt that if it was in accordance with God’s will, that Iwould be moved to do it.Well finally one day, without thinking about it, I felt moved to start writing this book.To my surprise, it was January 31, 2011. This was the day that I experienced my officialopening in Subud, forty-six years ago. Although I first received the latihan about six orseven months before my official opening when I had never even heard of Subud. I givemy praise and thanks to the One Almighty God, to whom I owe everything.My feeling is that this book is especially for the young Subud members. My hope is that they will begiven the enthusiasm to continue receiving the latihan and not get bored. I pray that God will give them the patience thatis required to continue and the faith in God that is necessary for their well being and spiritual development. May Godgive them the understanding to wait until they are moved by the power of God and not use their own will when receiv-ing the latihan kejiwaan of Subud.All proceeds from the sale of this book will be donated to Subud U.S.A.Bradford and Celia Temple.◆◆◆
Page 18
SUBUD VOICEPAGE 18 SEP 2011‘ T O G E T H E R 2 0 1 2 ’Sydney Calling!Subud Australia is holding its 2012 National Congress in Sydney. We would like to welcome our broth-ers and sisters locally, nationally and from overseas to spend New Year’s Eve with us and stay togeth-er for a week of worship, play, discovery, exploration, and renewal.The Congress is from 30 December 2011 until 6 January 2012.The Congress is situated at St Andrew's College with its magnificent sandstone buildings set within the vast grounds ofSydney University (with a large expanse of green lawn encompassing an oval for ball sports, tennis courts, and plenty ofhang-out space). Only minutes from the city centre and the popular King Street strip in Newtown, this College was oneof the venues used for the 1989 Subud World Congress.‘Togetherness’ is our overarching theme, and preparations for the program are currently underway. The program willinclude kejiwaan activities as well as activities focused on our common areas of endeavour – youth, enterprise, humani-tarian, culture, healthcare and education. We want to be as inclusive as we possibly can of all sectors of our community.So if you are interested in conducting workshops or activities please contact us.We are looking forward to sharing this Congress with you, and we welcome your participation in creating the programand space that will allow us to worship, create, explore and discover together. Let’s make this Congress a truly memorableone for all.We are also looking at exciting ideas and possibilities for entertainment, including a New Year’s Eve event (together);a concert of musical talents; a Day Out together sampling some of Sydney’s wealth of attractions! There will be plenty forfamilies and young people to do, given the holiday timing and the central location.We encourage you to register early in order to secure a place in the venue, as it is very difficult to find alternative accom-modation in Sydney from Christmas through until the end of January.We will be offering an Early Bird Discount.Registration Forms will be out very shortly along with Workshop Forms for those who wish to conduct a workshopor activity. The Forms along with latest updates on the Congress can be obtained on the Congress website: www.con-gress2012.com.auFor general inquiries please contact Latif Vogel, Congress Co-ordinator at latif@vogelmail.netFor Program inquiries please contact Alana Simpson, Program Co-ordinator at alanasimpson@netspace.net.auSEE YOU THERE!◆
Page 19
SUBUD VOICEPAGE 19SEP 2011INFORMATION ABOUT SUBUDThis magazine is produced by members of the spiritualmovement known as Subud, but it is not an official pub-lication of the Subud organisation. It is just an enterpriseof some members. Recently the magazine became avail-able free and online to the general public as well as toSubud members.In each issue we try to include some articles which willgive information about Subud to people who are unfa-miliar with the movement. Interested people could alsolook at the article “What is Subud?” in the February 2011issue of this magazine.This is a very brief sketch of Subud. Those wishing for amore detailed explanation should go to www.whatissub-ud.org There is a link to it on the left hand side of ourhome page. There are also links to the web sites of thevarious organisations which also include explanations ofSubud. See for example the official web site of WSA,www.subud.comIf you would like to make contact with a Subud group,you should check the telephone directory to see if thereis a group in your locality.Or you can go to the web site www.subud.com whereyou will find contact information for the WSA and thevarious national bodies who will be able to direct you toa group near you.◆SPONSORSHIPThis issue of Subud Voice wasgenerously sponsored by the GuerrandHermes Foundation for Peace.◆SUBUD EVENTS & WORLDLATIHANFor news of forthcoming Subud events andWorld Latihan times go towww.subudworldnews.com and click on“Events”.◆DISCLAIMER NOTICEThe opinions expressed in the various articles are thesole responsibility of their authors and cannot beseen as representing the opinion of the World SubudAssociation or of Subud Voice.The name Subud ® and the Seven Circles Symbolare registered marks of the World SubudAssociation.Translator Needed Ruslan Moore, Al-Baz Publishing, Inc., writes...Following the passing of my long time Subud brother and translator Muhtar Holland late last year I am in need of an Arabic translator,capable of translating Arabic Islamic texts originally composed around the11th century CE by luminaries such as Imam al-Ghazali,Shaikh 'Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani and so on into English. Al-Baz Publishing, Inc. is at this point a well known and respected publisher ofreligious works for the Muslim community, scholars and the interested layman.To review the list of titles published during the last 20 years, please feel free to visit the web site at www.al-baz.com and click on the link'Our Books' and if that sparks any interest then visit www.al-baz.com/shaikhabdalqadir/ and click the link 'List of books from whichexcerpts...' to read some of the content. From this you should get an idea of what I am looking for.It is my great hope that I can find someone from within Subud to fill this position, since in my estimation there is a need for the translatorto be alive inwardly – it is not enough to merely be competent in rendering from Arabic into English something like, say, a technical man-ual. Furthermore a good command of the English language is a necessity.Interested parties may contact me by email at albaz@bellsouth.net in the first instance and we will take it from there. Qualifying steps willinvolve completing a page or two of a sample text.SUBSCRIBE NOWFrom September Subud Voice willonly be available to subscribers.Subscribe now by going towww.subudvoice.net, click on theSUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS button on left handside of home page. Pay by credit card or Paypalaccount.AUD$50 for one year (12 monthly issues). (Atcurrent exchange rates that is 54 US dollars, 33Pounds, 37 Euros. That is at time of writing.Exchange rates do vary.)We will continue to produce an edition for non-Subud readers without the talks (also availableby subscription).
Page 20
SUBUD VOICEPAGE 20 SEP 2011KEEPIN TOUCHWITH THE WIDER SUBUD WORLDBY SUBSCRIBING TO SUBUD VOICEONLINESubscribe to Subud Voice Online monthly for news of what’s going onall over the wider Subud world, WSA, MSF, the Wings – SICA, SIHA, SDIA, SYI, SESI –plus articles on personal experiences, remembrances, enterprise, archives, book reviews etcHOW TO SUBSCRIBEGo to www.subudvoice.net (credit card/Paypal) and click on SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONSPRICE: AUD$50 for one year (12 monthly issues).(At current exchange rates approx. 54 US dollars, 33 Pounds, 37 Euros.That is at time of writing. Exchange rates do vary.)FREE withevery subscription:a copy of‘The Experiencesof Mas SudartoMartohudojo'Subud Voice Online – bringing the Subud world to your home
Page 21
SUBUD VOICEPAGE 21 SEP 2011Subud Voice is published monthly and the Englishedition is issued on the 1st of each month atwww.subudvoice.netA Spanish facsimile edition usually appears a littlelater on the same web site.SUBMISSIONSSend articles, photos, cartoons etc. to Harris Smart,Editor Subud Voice,email: editor@subudvoice.netTel: + 61 3 95118122Submissions are invited which relate to Subud life orare from Subud members. We cannot guaranteewhen or if a submission sep be published. Preferencewill be given to articles of about 2000 words or lessaccompanied by a photograph, well-written inEnglish and dealing with the activities of Subudmembers, or expressing a Subud member's perspec-tive on a subject.Articles should be written in such a way that they areintelligible and interesting to both Subud membersand the general public. Sometimes this sep meanproviding an explanatory introduction or notes forthe non-Subud readerThere is no payment for submissions. Correspondenceabout articles will generally not be entered into.Submissions to Subud Voice sep be edited for a vari-ety of reasons including the need to shorten them orimprove expression. If you do not want your submis-sion to be edited in any way, please mark it clearlyNOT TO BE EDITED.The opinions expressed in the various articles arethe sole responsibility of their authors and cannot beseen as representing the opinion of either the editoror the World Subud Association.ADVERTISEMENTSClassifieds: 50 cents a word. Minimum chargeAUD$15.00. Display rates on request. (Developingcountries – no charge). To make payments bycredit card to Subud Voice for any purposeincluding sponsorship. Go our websitewww.subudvoice.net. Click on the CREDIT CARDPAYMENTS button on the left hand side of thescreen. Click on SUBUD VOICE CREDIT CARD PAY-MENTS. Fill in the form which comes up and inthe comments box put SPONSORSHIP or whatev-er is relevant. Or contact us for bank details forbank transfers. Do not forget to indicate if youwould like your sponsorship to be publiclyacknowledged.SUBUD VOICE TEAMHarris Smart: Editor and Business ManagerIlaina Lennard: Founder & Contributing EditorMarcus Bolt: Design and LayoutKitka Hiltula: WebmasterMUSIC BYSUBUD ARTISTSMusic By Subud Artistsavailable from:www.djcrecords.co.ukRecording, mastering &CD production:DJC Records104 Constitution HillNorwichNR3 4BBUKclague@paston.co.ukSUBUDVOICEMONTHLY ONLINEDEADLINE FOR NEXT ISSUE:30 Sep 2011The opinions expressed in the various articles are thesole responsibility of their authors and can not be seenas representing the opinion of the World SubudAssociation.The name Subud ® and the Seven Circles Symbol areregistered marks of the World Subud Association.BAPAK’S TALKSVOLUMEN O WA V A I L A B L EPLACE YOUR ORDER NOW FOR BEST DELIVERYPRICES (Incl p&p) UK £15.10 • Europe £16.40• Rest of World £19.0022Pay by UK bank cheque or Credit CardSubud Publications InternationalLoudwater Farm,Loudwater LaneRickmansworthHerts WD3 4HGtel: +44 (0) 1727 762210e-mail: spi@subudbooks.co.ukSPISubudPublicationsInternationalwww.subudbooks.netA D V E R T I S E M E N T STHEMOONROCKMEMOandothertalesMarcusBoltPrice £10plus postagefrom www.lulu.comor marcusbolt@easynet.co.uk25 short stories exploring thenature of ‘life, the universe andeverything’. Why are we here?What is consciousness? Are thereother intelligent beings out there? Ifyou’re interested in asking suchquestions, you’ll enjoy this collectionof musings, ideas and theories,reflecting the author’s lifetimeinterest in metaphysics – theplace where neuroscience, astro-physics and quantum mechanics,overlap with mysticism, psy-chotherapy and spirituality.BOOKS & RECORDINGSFROM HARRIS SMARTBOOKSSixteen Steps – Stories of Subud life. $25Stella (with Stella Duigan) – If 16 Steps is acollection of “short stories”, Stella is anovella recounting one woman's recov-ery through the latihan from severe child-hood abuse. $25Destiny – Three stories of Subud life. $15Tom Bass Totem Maker (with Tom Bass) – LifeStory of the most important Australian sculp-tor of the 20th century and a profoundly spir-itual man. $30Occasional Prayers – Meditations on lifeby Tom Bass. $20Contact: harrissmart@optusnet.com.auDVDThe Man and His Mission – 60 minute multi-lingual DVD telling the life story ofMuhamad Subuh and the developmentof Subud 1901-2001. In English, Russian,French and Indonesian. $30Contact: harrissmart@optusnet.com.auMUSICPrecious Morning – a collection of originalsongs in rock, blues, jazz and gospelmoods by the Act Naturally Band. $12.97Hear samples and download fromwww.cdbaby.com/cd/actnaturallyLOOKING FOR WORKIlaine Lennard offers proof reading/editing/typing. Fees to match those inyour own country. Excellent references.ilaine.l@blueyonder.co.ukTEL: +44(0)1242 7077018 Sissinghurst Grove, Cheltenham,GL51 3FA, UK

Date: August 11, 2012 11:54PM

Persons offered introductions to Subud as a spiritual practice deserve to know, up front, there appear to be business concerns attached to it.

It is common knowledge that the Vatican has a banking system.

And those of us who come in as converts to Roman Catholicism can also readly learn that the Roman Church has been as financial and political as it has been spiritual and then make a decision anyway, whether to become or remain Roman Catholic--and many do chose to be in the Church.

So, those interested in Subud deserve to know the same about Subud.

If anyone sends me PMs that I consider worthy of concern, I will send a copy immediately to Mr Ross, moderator of this website.

[www.google.com]

Kalimantan Gold Corporation - subudprojects.netSep 19, 2009 ... The company is listed on both the AIM in London and the TSX-V in ... of Subud),
travelled to Central Kalimantan and thereafter began to ...
www.subudprojects.net/browse.../kalimantan-gold-corporation.html - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

GOOD NEWS FROM KGC - Subud World NewsJun 1, 2012 ... The Company has two principal areas of interest: the Jelai Cahaya Minerals,
Jelai epithermal gold prospect in East Kalimantan; and the KSK ...
www.subudworldnews.com/dyn/news/Subud-Voice-JUNE-20123.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

FINANCE FOR SUBUD'S INITIATIVES IN KALIMANTAN…by ...Oct 1, 2011 ... FINANCE FOR SUBUD'S INITIATIVES IN KALIMANTAN…by Leonard ... only to
see the company run into problems created by its new board.
www.subudvoice.net/subud.../finance-for-subud’s-initiatives-in-kalimantan- by-leonard-van-hien/ - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

ENTERPRISE NEWS… a start, a site and 'where to ... - Subud VoiceNov 1, 2011 ... The purpose of the company is to progress and assist the wish and intention of ...
A new Subud Enterprise to finance enterprises in Kalimantan ...
www.subudvoice.net/subud.../enterprise-news-a-start-a-site-and-where-to- from-here/ - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

LATEST FROM KGC…forest permits granted » Subud VoiceDec 1, 2011 ... What is Subud? the comprehensive guide ... Kalimantan Gold Corporation
Limited (the “Company” or “KGC”) is pleased to announce the ...
www.subudvoice.net/subud.../latest-from-kgc-forest-permits-granted/ - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

September 2011 - Subud VoiceSep 30, 2011 ... Krishna etc – but as soon as he heard about Subud, he knew it was the ..... The
Company has two exploration projects in Kalimantan: the Jelai ...
www.subudvoice.net/wp-content/.../SV_English_Sept2011_General.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

ENTERPRISE… stories of effort » Subud VoiceJan 2, 2012 ... Mansur has been instrumental since the start of Kalimantan Gold 30 years ago.
He has been through all the company's ups and downs, he has ...
www.subudvoice.net/subud-voice.../enterprise-stories-of-effort/ - 44k - Cached - Similar pages

Dharma Trading Business - Subud VoiceJun 5, 2011 ... most important goal of the company while it tries to make a profit. ..... that I'd go to
Central Kalimantan to see where Subud has such an ...
www.subudvoice.net/sv-english/SVOLJun11.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

Subud Enterprise Services International > Featured EnterprisesThe business was founded by Subud members Lorna Dowson-Collins and Gaye
... The company offers a range of experiences in the Kalimantan rainforest ...
subudenterprise.com/FeaturedEnterprises.aspx?fid=featured001 - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

ADHARA Jewellerymoved to Wisma Subud, Indonesia, in 1975. In. 1978 she set ... About the time
they set up the company, Mansur was starting to travel to Kalimantan for mineral ...
www.subud-sica.org/userfiles/pdfs/Adhara_May_5.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

Posted by: Oliver ()
Date: January 02, 2013 07:32PM

Having been in Subud for 12 plus years now, I can state that I have benefitted greatly but gradually from it. As a Christian it has given me a greater depth to my own faith as well as much knowledge of all sorts of other faiths which I can see as the patchwork quilt which guides people across the globe. I have hardly heard a word spoken about what my direction should be - Subud is obviously a huge collection of different faiths and opinions - but guided by the desire to become better people.

However like any other organisation it is a collection of people with all their bad points too, and I have heard careless talk, guided barbs and mis representations, but this is life, and the vast majority of people I have met are kind and thoughtful souls.

Learn for yourself and make your own opinion. That is the only way.

Date: January 02, 2013 10:46PM

"..a dead and polluted Kalimantan landscape" - New York Times

Thanks to Al Jazeera for lifting the lid on the mercury issue, which, it appears, was done recently.

[www.google.com]

Third World gold mines spawn a global mercury threatThe use of mercury in gold mining is illegal in Indonesia because the metal is
toxic to ... Mercury's impact is evident in mining regions like Central Kalimantan,
on the island .... 18/11 - 'Writing is on the wall' at climate summit, Al Jazeera [
search] ...
waterconserve.org/shared/reader/welcome.aspx?linkid=116197... - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

Subud Enterprise - does money smell? - The Subud Forum«Palm Oil is the world's largest traded vegetable oil crop and will play a major
role in ... engagement in Kalimantan gold mining, strongly criticized in an Al
Jazeera TV ... and climate from mercury emission, now another highly polluting
ndustry ...
www.subudforum.com/.../16/subud-enterprise-does-money-smell - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

gold mining indonesia | Manganese

SESI News, that represents the new Subud Enterprise Services, states that they will now invest in palm oil production. Mursalin New writes:

«

Palm Oil is the world’s largest traded vegetable oil crop and will play a major role in the doubling of the global food supply over coming decades to cater for population growth and improved human nutrition. Research has shown palm oil to be a healthy choice within a balanced diet, particularly as it minimizes the formation of dangerous trans-fats. Palm oil is the richest natural source of carotene and E complex vitamins.”

The world at large, however, seems to be of a slightly different opinion. A recent article in the New York Times environment section by Joanna M. Foster , has this heading over a photo of a dead and polluted Kalimantan landscape: “A Grim Portrait of Palm Oil Emissions”. The article begins like this:

“Indonesia ranks right behind the United States and China in the lineup of the world’s top 10 greenhouse gas emitters. It’s not because of smokestacks or freeways, but massive deforestation starting in the 1990s — driven In large part by the expansion of plantations for palm oil, an edible vegetable oil used in cookies, crackers, soap and European diesel fuel.”

A report in CSPI Journal (published by Center for Science in the Public Interest) concludes that though palm oil is less harmful to human health than hydrogenated vegetable oils, the production has destructive environmental effects
:

“Unfortunately, not only does palm oil promote heart disease, but the vast plantations that grow oil palm trees have contributed to the destruction of the rainforest and wildlife of Southeast Asia. Those side effects are not broadly recognized
—and avoided—by governments, food manufacturers, or consumers.”

After the Subud enterprise engagement in Kalimantan gold mining, strongly criticized in an Al Jazeera TV report because of the damaging effects on people and climate from mercury emission, now another highly polluting ndustry
Enterprises were meant as a way to promote Subud through harmonious cooperation and humanitarian aims.
Are we on the right track?

[www.google.com]

Ten Misconceptions About Subud EnterpriseThere are writers on Subud Vision who argue that, since Bapak advised us that
we .... the big projects, the Bank, S.Widjojo, Anugraha, Kalimantan gold mining.
www.subudvision.org/sd/Ten%20Misconceptions.htm - 59k - Cached - Similar pages

Subud Enterprise - does money smell? - The Subud ForumAfter the Subud enterprise engagement in Kalimantan gold mining, strongly
criticized in an Al Jazeera TV report because of the damaging effects on people
and ...
www.subudforum.com/.../16/subud-enterprise-does-money-smell - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Subud Voice JUNE 2012Jun 1, 2012 ... Kalimantan Gold Corporation Limited ("KLG") is pleased to announce .... This
new book is a selection of all the best Subud stories – as pub- ...
www.subudvoice.net/wp-content/uploads/.../Subud-Voice-JUNE-20121.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

Rungan SariUsaha Dharma has been set up by a group of 23 Subud members (mostly ...
mercury contamination is already widespread in Kalimantan and Sulawesi, ...
Small-scale gold mining is by far the greatest cause of mercury emissions in
Indonesia.
rungansari.net/ - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

Susila Dharma Network eNews—August 2012The Subud Americas Gathering was an eight-day whirl of 400 members from ...
Kalimantan's gold mining community is involved in ongoing development of retort ...
susiladharma.org/assets/enews12/enews1208/enews-eng-1208.html - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

KALIMANTAN VISIONING WORKSHOP - Subud World NewsMar 17, 2008 ... Subud's presence in Kalimantan – why does it matter? 11 ...... approach, and
have been working with artisanal gold mining communities to ...
www.subudworldnews.com/.../SWN_en_Book_of_ProceedingsKalimantan. v3.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

kalimantan gold subudWebsites related to kalimantan gold subud. ... Gold Price, Buy Gold, Gold Coins,
Gold Mining Stocks, Free Gold News and Precious Metals Online Information ...
ranklite.com/keywords/kalimantan+gold+subud - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Kalimantan Youth Camp! - Topica Email List DirectoryAug 24, 2003 ... international Subud youth gathering in Central Kalimantan. Taking place in
Rungan Sari, Sei ... gold mining and boat trip. Latihan, kejiwaan ...
lists.topica.com/lists/SYA/read/message.html?sort=d&mid... - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

a summary of the year - SubudSubud is a practice that involves becoming quiet and allowing the divine life ....
the community's health in a transmigration village in Kalimantan by educating
residents on hygiene and .... safer practices for handling mercury in gold mining.
www.subud.com/2005-WSA-AnnualReport.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

kalimantan gold - Seo Keyword - Website-Tools.netKalimantan Gold Gets Extension on Gold Mining Permit - Mining . ... www.
subudvoice.net/subud-voice-english/kalimantan-gold-hits-coal-in-rungan-sari-
from- ...
website-tools.net/google-keyword/word/kalimantan+gold - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

[forum.culteducation.com]

Date: January 02, 2013 10:48PM

Palm oil

[www.google.com]

Subud Enterprise Services International > ArticleHe joined Subud in Bangkok in 1964. ... KALIMANTAN DEVELOPMENTS --
PALM OIL. Mursalin New has prepared an interesting document about palm oil ...
www.subudenterprise.com/Article.aspx?aid=Article015 - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

FEATURED ENTERPRISES The Karmanna Group - Subud ...World Subud Council tells SESI to develop Enterprises in Kalimantan ... decided
to initially focus on the palm oil plantation industry, a field that Bapak advocated.
subudenterprise.com/.../Subud.../FeaturedEnterprises-KarmannaGroup-v2. pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

Subud Enterprise - does money smell? - The Subud Forum«Palm Oil is the world's largest traded vegetable oil crop and will play a major
role ... After the Subud enterprise engagement in Kalimantan gold mining,
strongly ...

subud.org info what's newWorld Subud Association ... PLACE; KALIMANTAN DEVELOPMENTS -- PALM
OIL; FOCUS BUSINESS MARKET PLACE ENTERPRISES FOR NOVEMBER ...
www.subud.org/start.php?mcat=1&scat=55 - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

The Entrepreneur Sep12 FINAL - Subud World Newsattributed to turmeric by the. Contents. Sajen Jamu1. The Challenge of the Retail
Business3. Kalimantan's Palm Oil Project. 4. Book Review. 6. Subud Enterprise ...
www.subudworldnews.com/dyn/news/.../The%20Entrepreneur%20Sep12.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

Fwd: SESI eNews November 2012 - Loudwater Subud Members | Google ...subud.org.uk> Date: Thu, Dec 6, ... *Kalimantan Palm Oil Project* Mursalin New,
who heads up the technical side of the Palm Oil project in ...
groups.google.com/.../SubudLoudwater/.../1c2adf63035a94c7?show... - 80k - Cached - Similar pages

FINANCE FOR SUBUD'S INITIATIVES IN KALIMANTAN…by ...Oct 1, 2011 ... FINANCE FOR SUBUD'S INITIATIVES IN KALIMANTAN…by Leonard ... to palm
oil plantations, consumer finance, supermarkets, luxury hotels, ...
www.subudvoice.net/subud.../finance-for-subud’s-initiatives-in-kalimantan- by-leonard-van-hien/ - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

September 2011 - Subud VoiceSep 30, 2011 ... You can read Subud Voice on your Kindle. Just download the pdf to your
computer, then across to your Kindle. Bapak went to Kalimantan ...
www.subudvoice.net/wp-content/.../SV_English_Sept2011_General.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

Cult Education Forum :: Former Cult Members and Affected Families ...It's been a real cliffhanger, the story of Subud's mineral explorationin Kalimantan.
A real race to the wire between hero and zero.Fortunately ...
forum.culteducation.com/read.php?5,42034,113477,page=7 - 103k - Cached - Similar pages

Bapak on Kalimantan - subudprojects.netThrough the latihan kejiwaan of Subud, which you are following, you will be ....
plantations of palm oil, cocoa, coffee, maybe even cloves and things like that.
www.subudprojects.net/bapak/bapak-on-kalimantan.html - 88k - Cached - Similar pages

Date: January 02, 2013 10:59PM

One person in this Subud discussion group made an intriguing comment.

I am reminded of the trickery I suspected when Bapak suggested that it didn't really matter what was said to applicants about the latihan because they wouldn't understand what the latihan was anyway until they tried it.

For me the suspicion has grown that even those who tried the latihan in many ways didn't understand it even then and had to be kept in the habit of coming by side shows in the hope that they would eventually 'get' the latihan. I don't want to tar those many people who have a genuine interest in the side shows, charity, art, business, and who obviously have an understanding of the latihan, but somehow, I can't help but feel there is an element of bait and switch at play.

Date: January 02, 2013 11:33PM

For those who want to do more research-The Kalamantan News

[archive.wn.com]

Fri 3 Aug 2007
Losing land to palm oil in Kalimantan BBC News | Gazing out over a vast expanse of freshly planted palm oil, he says: "This is our ancestors' land ...[news.bbc.co.uk]

Wed 1 Aug 2007
Acquitted, but still a hounded man
Canada Dot Com | VANCOUVER - "Other people's brains, and other people's money." That was Bre-X founder David Walsh'...[www.canada.com]
Felderhof acquitted, but still a hounded man
Canada Dot Com | Vancouver -- "Other people's brains, and other people's money." That was Bre-X founder David Walsh...[www.canada.com]
Acquitted, but still a hounded man
National Post | VANCOUVER - "Other people's brains, and other people's money." That was Bre-X founder David Walsh'... [www.canada.com]

Mon 30 Jul 2007
China consortium to explore Indonesian oil, gas
China Daily By Hao Zhou (chinadaily.com.cn) | Updated: 2007-07-30 16:09 | A Chinese national petroleum consortiu...
Kalimantan Gold Corporation Limited: Drill Program Underway at Jelai Mewet Update on Oxiana Drilling
Marketwire VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - July 30, 2007) - | Jelai Mewet | Kalimantan Gold Corporat...[new.marketwire.com]
KALIMANTAN GOLD CORP Quick Quote: Stockhouse --> Kalimantan Gold Corporation Limited: Drill Program Underway at Jelai Mewet Update on Oxia... [www.stockhouse.com]

Posted by: leeduffield ()
Date: January 13, 2013 09:33AM

Is Subud a Cult?

Hard to say.It certainly has cultish characteristics. The three month probation was a little odd but I ignored it.All the books I read while waiting said the latihan was spontaneous yet people told me I wasn't doing it right. Not to mention the members who were involved in serious crime-a helper in the Nottingham group in the 90's was a major league drug dealer and I met two self-confessed fraudsters in Edinburgh. Everyone else in the group admired them for their ingenuity. One got seriously ripped off in a black market currency deal. I thought it was hilarious-the man considered himself a Muslim, surely an amputation offence?Bapak said homosexuality was against the will of God (a belief I do not share) but it was ignored by many.There were people testing which colour to dye their hair! The aim was supposedly to find the right religion for you yet most had Subud as their religion. Got away without fuss in 1996,no regrets.

Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.